HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

My crazy idea for Miller

Old
03-06-2011, 11:08 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

vCash: 500
Before the trade dealine, and all the talk about Stansy on the block, Avs fans were ok with a Miller for Stansy deal.

Salaries are just about a wash. Go sign a UFA goalie (voukoun or nabakov) for a more reasonable contract and go forward.

BUT always remember, we totally change the dynamics of the team but get the #1 center. Crazy but getting a goalie is...wait...seems to be easier than a #1 center.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:16 PM
ADoubleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
Before the trade dealine, and all the talk about Stansy on the block, Avs fans were ok with a Miller for Stansy deal.

Salaries are just about a wash. Go sign a UFA goalie (voukoun or nabakov) for a more reasonable contract and go forward.

BUT always remember, we totally change the dynamics of the team but get the #1 center. Crazy but getting a goalie is...wait...seems to be easier than a #1 center.
That's great, but Avs fans also don't make the teams personnel decisions. Just because their fans are ok with doesn't mean the team would have any interest in making that deal. To use your own logic against you, why would the Avs trade their #1 center for a #1 goalie when like you said #1 goalies are much easier to find than #1 centers? Adding to that point if the Avs wanted a #1 goalie why wouldn't they just keep Statsny and sign one of Nabakov or Vokoun themselves?

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:43 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post

its a good idea, except i'd rather have an elite goalie and two solid number two centers. and roy is pretty damn good.

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 03-06-2011 at 11:53 PM.
ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:46 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Why are we bothering to discuss trading Miller when we have ZERO reliable options for a starter next year? Or even in a year when Enroth will have another 35 games MAX to his career?

He won't bring in a #1 center. Goalies just don't have the value other players do, especially centers, because starting goalies are easier to find.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:52 PM
ADoubleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post
Why are we bothering to discuss trading Miller when we have ZERO reliable options for a starter next year? Or even in a year when Enroth will have another 35 games MAX to his career?

He won't bring in a #1 center. Goalies just don't have the value other players do, especially centers, because starting goalies are easier to find.
Because we know for sure that Vokoun or Nabakov would sign here in the offseason.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:06 AM
playoffhero

That sure is a crazy idea.

playoffhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:15 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubleD View Post
Because we know for sure that Vokoun or Nabakov would sign here in the offseason.
Of course, what was I possibly thinking

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 08:20 AM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
Yea, 18-25 games would be ideal. It is just so hard to believe Ruff in his 13 yrs. of head coaching, he NEVER had a good enough back up to play 18-25 games, unless he was forced to due to injury. I find it hard to think he would change, but maybe he will.
Did you read my post? Miller was not injured in 06-07 and Biron got 19 games. If Ruff has a backup he trusts he will go to him.

aceface33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:10 AM
ZemgusWho
Play for 2013+

Keep Miller. He earned a Vezina. If Enroth starts looking like a 100% sure thing, I'd ship him out for something. But we've complained in the past about this organization showing no loyalty to its best players, and then to go up and ship out the organization's probable best player? who is in commercials? who sells jerseys? I don't think that's the way Pegula's going to operate. I think we're stuck with Miller for another eight years until he hangs them up of his own accord. and I'm okay with that.

I do want to see a backup handle minimum 15-20 starts next year. But keep Miller around.

ZemgusWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Thorton02

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Ruff likes to ride a hot hand. Lalime doesn't know hot. Biron got back to back plenty of times when he shared with Miller -- although part of it was injury.
It's fun to create a what if topic but the idea of trading Miller is a non-starter. Enroth has way more to prove.
Exactly. We have yet to see Jhonas handle adveristy or bounce back from a bad game. He was handing out rebounds last night like they were candy. We should all be happy that we have what looks like a solid back up goalie and leave it at that........for now.

Thorton02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:41 AM
joshjull

How about this crazy idea.

Keep them both and possibly have a goaltending tandem like Boston has.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:48 AM
funkymag77

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post

But...but.. I thought the backup goalie was only supposed to be there for moral support?

funkymag77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Can we just rename this thread "Let's Trade Miller, and Promote the Guy With a Lower Save Percentage in the AHL than Miller has in the NHL--In a Down Year for Miller--and Make Him the Starter, then Trade Miller for a Fictional #1 Center that No Team Will Give Up for a Goaltender Because, By Posters' Own Logic, You Don't Need a Top Goaltender to Win a Cup and #1 Goaltenders are Easier to Find Than #1 Centers."

Kind of a long title, but I think it accurately sums up the substance of the thread.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:

Or an even crazier idea: Keep them both and throw a birthday offer at Richards and hope he accepts it.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 01:00 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:

I love this idea. When you have two good goalies in the NHL these days and a decent lineup, that's formidable. The drop off from starter to backup is steep for most teams. Maybe not Lalime drop but it's bad in a number of cities.
I love Boston come playoff time too. If Thomas gets cold, you've got a backup who could take you to the cup.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Sabreality

i posted this in July, this should be the 'plan'...hopefully

11/12 Backup (12-18 starts)-learning the NHL ropes
12/13 Backup (15-25 starts)-now a legit NHL option
13/14 Pushing Miller in Ryans last year under contract (think giggy/bryzy)
14/15 Legit NHL starter if Miller is regressing/wants out/trade bait

but yeah, lets see how he performs after 20-30 starts before crowning him successor

Sabreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Duffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vile21 View Post
I would be fine with the whole Pat Kane trade........ in like 6 years when he matures...

but being from South Buffalo it seems like noone really ever matures, they all just drink.....ALOT
Hey now, I resemble that remark

Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubleD View Post
I hear Noronen is available as well.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Cirris

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Ruff: Hey Ryan, you got a second?

Miller: Yeah, Lindy, what's up?

Ruff: Well you see, we want you to train your replacement, so we can ship you out.

Miller: Cool idea, bro. Die in a fire.

Ruff: OK, just checking.

Also - shipping out extra centers? Where the hell did we get extra centers from? Are we kidnapping Flyers?
This.

You are either going for it, or your going with a youth rebuild movement.

If you don't believe in your #1 then you should ship him out now and not pull a Larry Quinn and dick around until neither wants to play here.

I should have skipped this thread when i saw "crazy" in the title.

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Luceni

I like how they handle Enroth now.
Keep doing that next year. A young Goalie needs as much games as he can get, and he won't get more than 20+ game as the backup of Miller.

So start him in Portland next year.
And if there is a back-to-back game or if Miller needs a rest or if Jhonas gets on a great streak in Portland, call im up and get him a few NHL games.

That would get him around 70+ games per year I guess and lots of experience.

I'm fine with Lalime as cheerleader and locker-room guy, as long as he doesn't get any games.

I wonder if we could waive Lalime, so that he can go to Portland when Enroth is up.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote