HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The free agent Lake is almost ready for fishing (General Free Agent Talk Here)

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2005, 12:44 AM
Canadian Game
Sportsnet sucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan313
Like who?
Just did a quick little search on the net, I found somebody who is consistant with their numbers compared to their games played every year, somewhat injury prone, but not as bad as Lindros' situation with injuries. He played in Russia during the lockout and for the same estimated price as Lindros you can get Alexei Zhamnov. In reality, I'd rather Zhamnov mainly because he's not as likely to have a serious injury as Lindros is. But if you look at their stats (as of the past few years, cause I realize that Lindros was a 100pt. scorer in his early years) they are extremely similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
ALEXEI ZHAMNOV $2.3 to $3.4 million
PAUL KARIYA $2.3 to $3.4 million
ERIC LINDROS $2.3 to $3.4 million
ALEX MOGILNY $2.3 to $3.4 million
ALEXEI KOVALEV $2.3 to $3.4 million

Old
07-25-2005, 02:19 PM
Canadian Game
Sportsnet sucks

So with the rumour that Ray Whitney has been bought out, I think he is yet another person that I wouldn't mind as a Leaf. He's very consistant with his scoring, and if a good forward. But with the positives there are the negatives. He's not a good defensive forward and isn't a physical person, but he could be a good scorer for the Leafs. But the thing that is kind of sitting in the back of my mind is his physical presence. Since the teams are going to be playing the teams in their confrence and division more, maybe the Leafs should get some physical players...epecially for Philly.

Old
07-26-2005, 01:20 AM
richardn

Here are some free agent forwards that I went through and gave opinions on.

Forwards

Lindros = (perfect fit for us to get another star for cheap)
Forsberg = Injury Prone + Expensive (Crossing my fingers)
Pallfy = Injury prone + to expensive
Allison = Injury prone but cheap (depends on price and roster situation)
Murray = Inconcistant (don't really want)
Kariya = Injury prone (maybee at the right price)
Sellane = almost washed up (don't want)
Naslund = Expensive and on his way to be injury prone (Crossing my fingers)
Kovalev = Inconsistant and maybe pricy (If we can get him 2.5)
Modano = Expensive and probably going to Pheonix if any where
Roenick = won't be available
Primeau = won't be available
O'Neill = Wait and see
Whitney = over rated
Amonte = depends on price
Bondra = don't want
A. Carter = Not interested
Damphousse = Not interested
Deadmarsh = I heard he might be retireing
Demitra = (interested in signing this guy)
Gelina = (interested, would make a good third liner for the leafs)
Hlavac = Not interested
LeClair = Washed up and injury prone
Nikolishin = (not sure)
Stillman = (good option to consider)
Straka = probably going to the pens
Stumpel = don't want
VBure = over rated
Yzerman = not going anywhere
Zhamnov = injury prone and over rated
McCarthy = depends on price (would be a solid third or fourth liner)
There is more I can't think of any more right now

Old
07-26-2005, 10:58 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Here is a real big fish that may soon be on the Market ..

Quote:
Report: Blues won't use buyout option

That could be bad news for restricted free agent defenceman Chris Pronger.
The Blues have until Sunday to sign Pronger or give him a qualifying offer, which would allow the Blues to match another club's offer or receive compensation if Pronger signs elsewhere. Sauer said the Blues remain uncertain how to proceed with the star defenceman.

"I think it's maybe a better spending of major dollars if you're spending them on 27-year-old unrestricted free agents rather than 31-year-old unrestricted free agents," Sauer told the Post Dispatch. "I'm not knocking Chris ... but remember, once you burn some of that salary cap room, you're done.

"The bottom line now is flexibility as far as the St. Louis Blues are concerned, and we're going to be very careful about that."

"It's frustrating that they have had 15 months to put a game plan together," Pronger told the Post Dispatch. "They had an idea of what (the CBA) was going to look like. It's very frustrating not knowing where you're going to be. That's the thing ... it's not that they're giving you good news or bad news. They're not giving you anything."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=131477&hubName=nhl
Here is an idea.

If the Blues are going to let Pronger walk for free as an UFA.

How about Fergy's old team lets him see what kind on multi-year deal he could work out for him, and then if successful we trade the Blues McCabe who's salary would be more cap friendly then Pronger's, and it frees cap space for the Pronger's arrival ..

Combine that with the buying out of Klee and the walking away from RFA Berg and you bring in Darian Hatcher for the money of them ..

Now that would truely be the TWIN TOWERS on Defense, which might lead us to the RETURN OF THE KING of the NHL for the Leaf Organization and lead to the LORD OF THE RINGS for us again at the end of the journey.

.... .... ......

Lets see Keith Primeau now go to the net on the PP ...

Now that they made the goalie smaller perhaps the winning strategy is making the Dmen bigger ????

Who is with me ??

Last edited by Mess: 07-26-2005 at 11:09 AM.
Old
07-26-2005, 11:02 AM
richardn

Quote:

Here is an idea.

How about Fergy's old team lets him see what kind on multi-year deal he could work out for him, and then if successful we trade the Blues McCabe who's salary would be more cap friendly then Pronger's, and it frees cap space for the Prongers arrival ..

Who is with me ??
I am all woth you. Pronger on the Leafs would be as sweet as it gets besides signing Thornton.

Old
07-26-2005, 11:07 AM
It Kills Me

Quote:

Here is an idea.

How about Fergy's old team lets him see what kind on multi-year deal he could work out for him, and then if successful we trade the Blues McCabe who's salary would be more cap friendly then Pronger's, and it frees cap space for the Pronger's arrival ..

Combine that with the buying out of Klee and the walking away from RFA Berg and you bring in Darian Hatcher for the money of them ..

Now that would truely be the TWIN TOWERS on Defense, which might lead us to the RETURN OF THE KING of the NHL for the Leaf Organization and lead to the LORD OF THE RINGS for us again at the end of the journey.

Lets see Keith Primeau now go to the net on the PP ...

Now that they made the goalie smaller perhaps the winning strategy is making the Dmen bigger ????

Who is with me ??
Hey, the trade McCabe for Pronger was my idea.

Old
07-26-2005, 12:11 PM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxPINTOxXx
I agree

But I also agree with "leafs4thecup", we need someone other than Roberts (If we even re-sign him) to stand infront of the net.
You mean a player like Bertuzzi? Rumor here is that Bert's agent thinks Bert would be better off traded to an eastern team though so far Bert seems happy to stay here in Canuck land. Vancouver had an interest earlier in Nolan. The Leafs could always start negotiations off with offering Nolan & TO's 2nd in 2005 for Bertuzzi & the Canucks 1st in 2005. After that, then the Leafs could make a serious offer for Bert. I don't know if TO has enough assets to interest Vancouver though. Montreal, Boston or Ottawa would likely be a better trading partner for the Canucks.

Old
07-26-2005, 12:19 PM
Canadian Game
Sportsnet sucks

Quote:

Here is an idea.

Who is with me ??

Probablly still cheaper going with Foote and Gonchar. I would think Pronger would come for a hefty price. But as for the Blues, I wouldn't mind getting Demitra on the 1st or 2nd line.

Old
07-27-2005, 06:35 AM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Leafs set to sample free agent waters
Allison confirms he'd like to play here

Salary cap will lead to creative contracts

Toronto Star Link

Quote:
Norris Trophy winning defenceman Scott Niedermayer, meanwhile, has already told the New Jersey Devils that he is intent on testing the free agent market. His agent said yesterday that he will give the Leafs serious consideration if they are willing to pay him the maximum amount of $7.8 million (all figures U.S.).

"They would definitely be a serious contender," said Niedermayer's agent, Kevin Epp. "Why wouldn't they be? They have a very good team and Scott has played for (Leaf coach) Pat Quinn in the Olympics and the World Cup. It's a good market and to be a part of winning something there would be very appealing to Scott."

Quote:
"I'm not coming back for the money, I'm not coming back for something to do," said Allison, a 30-year-old native of North York. "I'm coming back to do what I did before. I don't expect to not be a point-a-game player. I'm going to play hard, I'm going to mix it up, fight once in a while if I have to and take big faceoffs. I'm going to have to play somewhere where people are expecting the same of me as I am from myself."

That means Allison wants to play in a traditional hockey market in the east and playing in his hometown appeals to him.

"To me, it makes a lot of sense," Allison said. "I grew up here and I've been dreaming since I was 2 to play for the Toronto Maple Leafs. In the past I might not have been interested and part of the reason for that is that I kind of like my privacy."

Old
07-27-2005, 08:22 AM
mogilny_2002

I think I will kill myself if hatcher is a leaf. What is the appeal for a guy who uses his elbows to hit, takes dumb penalties and contributes rarely to offense? Granted he is a big body, but really he is such an overrated d man who is going to be asking a lot this summer (according to his agent). Safe the cash and go for a player like foote or zubov.

Old
07-27-2005, 09:17 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

If Niedermeyer was 28, I'd give him the max on a 5-year deal.
But he's 32 in a month.

If you're going to give a guy the max, it should be somebody like Thornton or Iginla, who you could be reasonably assured will give you "max performance" for the life of the deal.

Is Scott going to be a Norris-calibre player 4 years from now? At 36 years old, is he still going to be worth 7.8 million?

Of course, if we win the Cup it will all be worth it.

Old
07-27-2005, 11:15 AM
BuppY

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=970081593064

Allison talking about playing in Toronto.

Old
07-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Kardi

i say the leafs do not sign any of there old players the nhl will a fast league and we DO NOT need slow old players, teams like tampa would make us look like a minor league team if they would re sign any of them

just my opinion

Closed Thread