HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft/Other Prospects (All NON-RANGERS Prospect Discussion)

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2011, 03:59 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Jurco and St. Croix over Grimaldi? With what reasoning?

Grimaldi is already performing at over a PPG pace against college players.
No one is denying his talent. He's definitely more talented than either of those guys. On talent, he's probably a top 15-20 player in this class. But he's kind of a gamble. You have to compensate for that. Obviously, depending on what team you are, it may or may not make sense for you take take that gamble.

Old
03-06-2011, 04:20 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
No one is denying his talent. He's definitely more talented than either of those guys. On talent, he's probably a top 15-20 player in this class. But he's kind of a gamble. You have to compensate for that. Obviously, depending on what team you are, it may or may not make sense for you take take that gamble.
St. Croix is nowhere near as talented and just as much of a gamble. He's a tad bigger, but doesn't play the big man's game like Grimaldi. Plus I think his size is well overstated.

Old
03-07-2011, 09:33 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

College free agent time

Tim Wharnsby spoke to two NHL pro scouts who helped him put together a list of college free agents

Quote:
G Keith Kinkaid, Union College (6-foot-3, 185 pounds, age 21, Farmingville, N.Y.) - The sophomore enjoyed an outstanding start to the season and upset Yale in late January.

G Pat Nagle, Ferris State (6-foot-3, 185 pounds, age 23, Bloomfield, Mich.) - He was one of the 10 finalists for the Hobey Baker Award.

D Taylor Fedun, Princeton (6-foot-1, 210 pounds, age 22, Edmonton) - After scoring 10 times in his first three years at Princeton, he has checked in with 10 goals in his senior season.

D Chay Genoway, North Dakota (5-foot-9, 187 pounds, age 24, Morden, Minn.) - The offensive blue-liner played junior for the Vernon Vipers of the BCHL.

F Carter Camper, Miami-Ohio (5-foot-9, 173 pounds, age 22, Rocky River, Oh.) - He's third on Miami's all-time points list.

F Jack Connolly, Minnesota-Duluth (5-foot-8, 175 pounds, age 21, Duluth, Minn.) - He is a smallish junior, but a skilled forward who scored five goals in a game last month.

F Stephane Da Costa, Merrimack (5-foot-11, 180 pounds, age 21, Paris) - He has played for France in the past two world championships.

F Justin Fontaine, Minnesota-Duluth (5-foot-10, 175 pounds, age 23, Bonnyville, Alta.) - A linemate of Connolly's, he's scored 60 goals in his four years at Duluth.

F Tanner House, Maine (6-foot-1, 195 pounds, age 24, Cochrane, Alta.) - The Maine captain is a finalist for national awards that recognize academic achievement, philanthropy, character and community service.

F Andy Miele, Miami-Ohio (5-foot-8, 175 pounds, age 22, Grosse Pointe Woods, Mich) - He enjoyed an impressive development camp with the Washington Capitals last summer.

F Matt Read, Bemidji State (5-foot-10, 185 pounds, age 24, Ilderton, Ont.) - He has attended NHL development camps with Tampa Bay, Boston, N.Y. Rangers and Minnesota.

F Calle Ridderwall, Notre Dame (6-foot, 183 pounds, age 22, Stockholm) - He moved to the U.S. to play midget hockey in Chicago area in 2005.

F Paul Thompson, New Hampshire (6-foot, 210 pounds, age 22, Derry, N.H.) - Last season, he played on a line with Senators prospect Bobby Butler.

F Harry Zolnierczyk, Brown (5-foot-11, 175 pounds, age 23, Toronto) - Last week, he became only the fourth player in school history to be named Ivy League player of the year.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/timwh...1.html?ref=rss

No mention of Cameron Schilling who is a junior. Miami-Ohio defenseman.

Rangers could look at signing a goalie if they are not signing Stajcer. Kinkaid has attended two Rangers development camps.

Quote:
Yeah sure, Keith. It really wouldn't be hard to don a Broadway Blueshirt one day after growing up bleeding blue and orange?

"To be honest, I don't hate the Rangers anymore and really enjoyed taking part in their camps the past two years. I'd definitely play there even if I am an Islander fan.

"It was pretty cool," added Kinkaid when asked how it felt to know the Rangers, as well as a few other teams, were interested in potentially signing him. "They said to have a good year with Union, and we'll take things from there."
http://sachem.patch.com/articles/kei...eaming-nhl-big

Da Costa is the top college free agent. He suffered a knee injury recently. Apparently 2/3 of the NHL wants to sign him. No mention if the Rangers are one of those teams.

Chris Tanev made the jump from one year at RIT to playing on the Canucks injury depleted defense.

Old
03-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Strome is such a skilled passer that I don't think a lack of space will present much of a problem for him. I think he's the type of player that will draw defenders to him and make that perfect split-second pass a lot. He's a very quick decision maker, too, which I like. He's confident when he moves the puck.
I think both will be excellent players, I just like the grittiness that Huberdeau shows on a regular basis. I wouldn't be unhappy with either.

Quote:
Oops, I forgot about Puempel, I think. I'm surprised you don't have Brodin anywhere in the top 30.
Crap, I knew I forgot someone. Wedge Brodin in just after Clendenning. Should he be higher? Probably, but I've never gotten a real look at the kid, so I can't say for sure.

Old
03-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

40 pages already! New thread?

Old
03-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Kinkaid is a solid goaltender. And you may all get to see him as Union is going places this year. Will likely play in the NCAA tourney.

Loves to play the puck too.

Old
03-07-2011, 10:42 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
College players I want to sign:

Kinkaid
Camper
Da Costa
House

Old
03-07-2011, 10:48 AM
NYR Viper

Kinkaid is the real deal. If the Rangers can sign him I would be ecstatic.

Da Costa would be a solid #2 for me.

Other than that I would pass.

Old
03-07-2011, 11:40 AM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Kinkaid is a solid goaltender. And you may all get to see him as Union is going places this year. Will likely play in the NCAA tourney.

Loves to play the puck too.
Have you seen him play in person? Is he rebound prone like CJ is?

Old
03-07-2011, 11:56 AM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Kinkaid is the real deal. If the Rangers can sign him I would be ecstatic.

Da Costa would be a solid #2 for me.

Other than that I would pass.
All the forwards look small.

Old
03-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
Have you seen him play in person? Is he rebound prone like CJ is?
Yes, several times now

No. I'd list his strengths as...

Puckhandling
Picking up the puck through traffic
Quick legs

His weaknesses as...

Overcommitment (tends to slid out against good moves, would be a problem in the shootout in particular)
Blocker side high

I'd say Talbot is the better goaltender right now, but if we're looking at a 5th signed goaltender I imagine he is first on the list for us.

Old
03-07-2011, 12:49 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Yes, several times now

No. I'd list his strengths as...

Puckhandling
Picking up the puck through traffic
Quick legs

His weaknesses as...

Overcommitment (tends to slid out against good moves, would be a problem in the shootout in particular)
Blocker side high

I'd say Talbot is the better goaltender right now, but if we're looking at a 5th signed goaltender I imagine he is first on the list for us.
Yeah. Kincaid is real good. I feel like he is either on par with, or better than Talbot and Johnson were in college. And yes, I know Johnson was very good at Alaska. He has super quick legs and I feel like the reason he slides so far out is because of his massive leg strength. Plus he is a good size for a goalie at 6'3.

Old
03-07-2011, 12:55 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If we can sign a goalie with raw physical skills and talent like that i'd say go for it and maybe let Benoit refine his game?

Old
03-07-2011, 12:58 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
If we can sign a goalie with raw physical skills and talent like that i'd say go for it and maybe let Benoit refine his game?
Kincaid would be the one to sign. Talbot was a good signing last year, although Scrivens would have been the best.

He needs some polishing but so do all young goaltenders.

Old
03-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
ah yea the mysterious Benoit...he who gets unrelenting support from this franchise's fan base for reasons unknown.

Old
03-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
ah yea the mysterious Benoit...he who gets unrelenting support from this franchise's fan base for reasons unknown.
How about the fact that he took a journeyman 3rd string goaltender and turned him into a capable backup for upwards of 2 seasons, is credited by our franchise's likely future winningest goaltender of all time with much of his game, and helped bump Biron's stats astronomically?

Old
03-07-2011, 06:40 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
The only thing I need to hear to give my full support to Benoit and acknowledge his ability as a goalie coach is to hear Hank acknowledge what he's done for him.

Old
03-07-2011, 06:46 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I've been a huuuge Carter Camper fan since his Freshman year, the kid has some serious skills. Admittedly I am not 100% sold on his as an NHL player but I would take a flyer on him for sure.

Here ya go;

03-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

the picture always looks pretty with selective reporting. there's been quite a few who sensei ben wasn't able to work his magic on.

lundqvist is an elite athlete and hockey player now, and he was before benoit. biron has actually had a pretty good, somewhat above average career...even without allaire.

Old
03-07-2011, 07:01 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Part 2 is up...

It's just pain.
Closed Thread