HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

EDM (LA 1st) Hemsky to OTT (1st)

Old
03-06-2011, 04:12 PM
4thliner*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qvist View Post
Are you out of your mind? the 1st overall for a mid-first and three 2RPs?
1st/2nd/3rd whatever........but it wasn't 2 2nd round picks, more like 3 including Ottawa own 31st on top of Chicago and Boston 2nds.

13th, 31st, 40th, and 54th picks for 2nd or 3rd or 4th........that is damn good deal. I am not too sure Ottawa does this unless the forward they want is there at 2, 3 or 4 if they take Larsson 1st overall.

If Edmonton says nay and wants to take Nugen-Hopkins I don't see NYI/Colorado turning that package down at 3rd or 4th pick.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Parise09*

Hell no to mid first liners and a bunch of 2nd and 3rd liners. We need a franchise centre or d-man.

Parise09* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 07:43 PM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie boy View Post
I'm not sure this has been proposed before (did a search, could not find)

I apologise in advance to Ottawa fans if this seems unreasonable, as I'm not sure if the Sens are in full re-build at this point or just reloading.

Hemsky gives them a RW to play with Spezza, and a 17 \th overall pick in the draft,

Edm can draft their Defenceman (Laarson) and Centre (RNH, Couterier) for the future.

Again, first time I've done a proposal, and it is dependent if Ottawa wants to reload as opposed to re-build.
LOL would you do Michalek and a low 1st for your 1st?

Now rethink your post.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Delta Cubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
13th, 31st, 40th, and 54th picks for 2nd or 3rd or 4th........that is damn good deal. I am not too sure Ottawa does this unless the forward they want is there at 2, 3 or 4 if they take Larsson 1st overall.
Quantity =/= Quality.

If this was last years draft, it would be the equivalent to Hall/Seguin for Gormley+Pitlick+Thomas+Holl
2009 draft: Tavares/Hedman/Duchene/Kane for Kassian+Koskinen+Lander+Gelinas
2008 draft: Stamkos/Doughty/Bogosian/Pietrangelo for Teubert+Markstrom+Ness+Cormier

If you look at a comparable draft ('06 because of the amount of players that could've gone 1st):

Johnson/Staal/Toews/Backstrom/Kessel for Tlustly+Kana+Fiala+Anisimov

The point is, when you pick in the top 3 you are almost guaranteed a premier player. With the 13th, 31st, 40th and 54th picks, you get more prospects, but that's about it. Chances are, they'll never reach the impact that the top 3 picks hold.

Delta Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 08:31 PM
JackBauer

we've worked hard all season for a top 3 pick. gave 110%. battled. we aren't trading it. we deserve it.

JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 05:47 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I think Edmonton would have better luck making a trade for 3rd or 4th overall, but Edmonton would have to add a hell of a lot more. I think Edmonton would also have to throw in their 2012 1st rounder and that would pressure them to land a pretty good d-man via free agency and pray that they could be a playoff bubble team so that it's worth it in the end.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 06:01 AM
Edgeworth*

You a funny man.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Qvist

Quote:
1st/2nd/3rd whatever........but it wasn't 2 2nd round picks, more like 3 including Ottawa own 31st on top of Chicago and Boston 2nds.
Yes, I know. That's why I wrote "three 2nd round picks". In the body of text you quoted directly above.

Quote:
13th, 31st, 40th, and 54th picks for 2nd or 3rd or 4th........that is damn good deal.
No, that's an absolutely terrible deal. Statistically, those picks turn into cumulative probabilities that add up to slightly more than 1 NHL player, most likely of average to above-average quality. The top 4 pick gives you a much better prognosis than that.

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 08:48 AM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:

If Edmonton says nay and wants to take Nugen-Hopkins I don't see NYI/Colorado turning that package down at 3rd or 4th pick.
Are you serious? That's a crappy deal for the Oilers.... I prefer 1 blue chip prospect over a good prospect and a bunch of prospects that might not even make it to the NHL.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:23 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:

Even if this was a loaded draft year, that's nothing.

So many sports analysts are saying this is a weak draft year. So the margin of difference between top 1-5,6-12,13-25 and 25+ is much larger.

You'd have to double that offer and catch the GM of the 2nd, 3rd or 4th overall pick drunk at a party to get him to agree to anything like this.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:47 AM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Even if this was a loaded draft year, that's nothing.

So many sports analysts are saying this is a weak draft year. So the margin of difference between top 1-5,6-12,13-25 and 25+ is much larger.

You'd have to double that offer and catch the GM of the 2nd, 3rd or 4th overall pick drunk at a party to get him to agree to anything like this.
wow ok

As for that 13th its 12th pick overall today and dropping. Heck unless Nashville figures out a way to score goals the Sabres or the Huricanes might surpass them. Point it it could be even a top 10 pick.

Even at 12th overall, there are at least 9 elite players in this draft, the tier 1 FOUR, and the tier 2 FIVE of Strome, Hub, Hamilton, Murphy, and Seimens. Now at least 1 of these guys could EASILY fall into the Nashville picks range without having to move up a spot.

With that 12th pick you can probably get almost as sure a bet quality blue chip player as the top 4. And you still have 3 other picks including the 1st crack in the 2nd day of the draft. This draft is deep. An injured kid like Matt Puempel (a consensus top 5 pick according to everyone last year) could be available in the 2nd day. Guy like Prince, Phillips, and maybe even Jensen could be availabe. These guys are top 6 forward material prospects easily.

The hole draft is a crap shoot, you never know. Couturier could be the next Lecavalier or Jordan Staal or Radek Bonk. RNH could be nothing more than a decent soft 2nd line skill forward to a total bust. Landeskog could be a Brendan Morrow, Larsson the next Pitkanen.

You never know. One of Strome or Huberdeau etc could be better than all these guys.

Last edited by 4thliner*: 03-07-2011 at 10:58 AM.
4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:03 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Isn't Hemsky hurt again?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Isn't Hemsky hurt again?
The question is when ISN'T he hurt..

as for the deal.. i'd rather take my chances on drafting Gabriel Landeskog.

Old
03-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Qvist

Quote:
wow ok

As for that 13th its 12th pick overall today and dropping. Heck unless Nashville figures out a way to score goals the Sabres or the Huricanes might surpass them. Point it it could be even a top 10 pick.

Even at 12th overall, there are at least 9 elite players in this draft, the tier 1 FOUR, and the tier 2 FIVE of Strome, Hub, Hamilton, Murphy, and Seimens. Now at least 1 of these guys could EASILY fall into the Nashville picks range without having to move up a spot.

With that 12th pick you can probably get almost as sure a bet quality blue chip player as the top 4. And you still have 3 other picks including the 1st crack in the 2nd day of the draft. This draft is deep. An injured kid like Matt Puempel (a consensus top 5 pick according to everyone last year) could be available in the 2nd day. Guy like Prince, Phillips, and maybe even Jensen could be availabe. These guys are top 6 forward material prospects easily.

The hole draft is a crap shoot, you never know. Couturier could be the next Lecavalier or Jordan Staal or Radek Bonk. RNH could be nothing more than a decent soft 2nd line skill forward to a total bust. Landeskog could be a Brendan Morrow, Larsson the next Pitkanen.

You never know. One of Strome or Huberdeau etc could be better than all these guys.
You can say that about any draft (or for that matter about any set of eventualities that are within the limits if conceivability), it's a total non-argument. The point is that what you can reasonably expect (and most would regard this as a below average draft), is that something between one in four and one in five second rounders become significant players in the NHl. For a top pick, the likelihood is nearly 100%. For a teens pick, it is about 50% - there's a huge difference between a 2nd or 3rd and 11th or 12th, much larger than between 12th and 42nd. And you can add to that the top picks are the only group of players who turn into really high-impact players on anything other than an exceptional basis. A typical, average result from these two sets of pick is that the top pick delivers a star player, while the other ones deliver perhaps an average to above average player and a fourthliner. With a reasonably typical outcome, you're trading Rick Nash for RJ Umberger and Derek Dorsett.

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:42 PM
zeus3007*

I have a better proposal

To Edmonton - Hemsky 2-4 year contract extension, drafting Larsson or RNH/Coutourier at the draft

To Ottawa - Drafting Landeskog or RNH/Coutourier at the draft.

EVERYBODY WINS!

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote