HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Matt Gilroy Project

Old
03-07-2011, 02:03 PM
JohnnyRanger

vCash: 500
The Matt Gilroy Project

Call me crazy but I am a big time Gilroy supporter. Something this board frowns upon tremendously! I know Iím going to get eaten up by this one... but Iíve been thinking of ways to utilize his talents. The only logical conclusion Iíve come up withÖmove him to forward (RW)

He possesses a tremendous skating ability and creativity to boot. I know he started out playing forward in college and moved to D. so why not try that again. If Woli doesnít resign I feel like he can move into that slot and fit in nicelyÖif I were torts id give this a shot next year(if he doesnít get traded in the off season)

his contract expires this summer and i doubt they would just let him walk, so sign him to a 1 yr deal and go from there, if it doesn't work trade him mid-season. Flame on

JohnnyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:04 PM
lbrowne

I don't mind Gilroy either, but I'd rather keep him on D.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:09 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRanger View Post
Call me crazy but I am a big time Gilroy supporter. Something this board frowns upon tremendously! I know Iím going to get eaten up by this one... but Iíve been thinking of ways to utilize his talents. The only logical conclusion Iíve come up withÖmove him to forward (RW)

He possesses a tremendous skating ability and creativity to boot. I know he started out playing forward in college and moved to D. so why not try that again. If Woli doesnít resign I feel like he can move into that slot and fit in nicelyÖif I were torts id give this a shot next year(if he doesnít get traded in the off season)

his contract expires this summer and i doubt they would just let him walk, so sign him to a 1 yr deal and go from there, if it doesn't work trade him mid-season. Flame on
The problem with what you propose is to sign him to a one-year deal, you would have to give him a qualifying offer which would be a raise off his salary. And he's not worth that.

03-07-2011, 02:10 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

I think Gilly gets dumped on way too much for what he is on this team.

haohmaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:10 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The problem with what you propose is to sign him to a one-year deal, you would have to give him a qualifying offer which would be a raise off his salary. And he's not worth that.
This is why Gilroy won't be back. He's just not good value.

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Claxton

Gilroy isn't awful or anything, but the glut of forwards would give him less chance at a roster spot than his current one on defense. And at the #6 spot hes hanging on by a thread.

Claxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:17 PM
frankthefrowner

I think it would be a good idea, but he is not even going to get a qualifying offer. Much bigger fish to fry as they say this year. Dubi,Cally, AA and BB all due raises Cally and Dubi probably getting the biggest raises. We probably wont be able to take a chance on Gilroy on Offense OR defense

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:27 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
I think Gilly gets dumped on way too much for what he is on this team.
What he is is a product of his play. He was supposed to add offense. He hasn't.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:34 PM
JohnnyRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
I think it would be a good idea, but he is not even going to get a qualifying offer. Much bigger fish to fry as they say this year. Dubi,Cally, AA and BB all due raises Cally and Dubi probably getting the biggest raises. We probably wont be able to take a chance on Gilroy on Offense OR defense
don't forget Sauer he'll get a nice bump in salary too

as for Gilly he will get offered a 1yr...close to what hes making now. i can see Sather playing hardball with him

Old
03-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Bardof425*

I like Gilroy more than most. His lack of strength is his downfall right now. He is a very good skater, he moves the puck well, he jumps into the play and rarely gets caught, so his decision making is good. He just needs to get stronger and he could be a very good puck moving defenseman because the skating often cannot be taught at this level and he has that.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:36 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:

as for Gilly he will get offered a 1yr...close to what hes making now. i can see Sather playing hardball with him
Gilroy makes $2.1 mil this season in salary, but he has a $1.75 mil cap hit.... As a RFA, Rangers need to extend a qualifying offer to him or he becomes a free agent (which I think is a good possibility).

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:37 PM
MSG the place to be*

I have often held the opinion that Gilroy moving to forward is a ridiculous idea but it just dawned on me that its pretty intriguing.

I could see him in a Fedotenko role, next to Boyle and Prust. Let those guys do all the muscle work down low and then when the puck is moved to an open area Gilroy has the agility to be the first man to the puck. Im curious as to how this would work.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

The Rangers have put two years into trying to develop Gilroy on defense. I doubt they want to block a developing forward next season for a guy who will be 27 and playing a position he hasn't played in years. Its not an awful idea but its not going to happen..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:46 PM
JohnnyRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
I have often held the opinion that Gilroy moving to forward is a ridiculous idea but it just dawned on me that its pretty intriguing.

I could see him in a Fedotenko role, next to Boyle and Prust. Let those guys do all the muscle work down low and then when the puck is moved to an open area Gilroy has the agility to be the first man to the puck. Im curious as to how this would work.
This. he has great vision on the ice and his skating is top notch. i always felt it was a no brainer esp. with the logjam of young D

Old
03-07-2011, 02:48 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
He's not worth his qualifying offer. He's gone. It was a failed experiment.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:59 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
This. he has great vision on the ice and his skating is top notch. i always felt it was a no brainer esp. with the logjam of young D
His work along the boards stinks though.

There's no room for him at forward....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:59 PM
John Torturella

The only thing keeping Gilroy in the NHL is him being an offensive defenseman. He is not good enough defensively to fill a defensive role. He is not good enough offensively to be an NHL forward with his style of game. He would be a 3rd liner at best in terms of offensive production. I dont think he is close to our best option as a 3rd line wing.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 03:01 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

That's EXACTLY what they're going to do: Let him walk.

Reason why: He's not good at hockey.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 03:05 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
He he was a top-notch skater and had great vision on the ice he'd have more than 11 points if only by accident.

I fail to see what a move to forward does (especially giving him a raise to do so). He provides no offense from the blueline. Not sure what he would do at forward. And where does he play?

Old
03-07-2011, 03:05 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
The only thing keeping Gilroy in the NHL is him being an offensive defenseman. He is not good enough defensively to fill a defensive role. He is not good enough offensively to be an NHL forward with his style of game. He would be a 3rd liner at best in terms of offensive production. I dont think he is close to our best option as a 3rd line wing.
Hard to say it's his offense that keeps him in the league when he provides no offense.

Old
03-07-2011, 03:08 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Hard to say it's his offense that keeps him in the league when he provides no offense.
Then what other reason do you have for him being here? Maybe he doesnt provide offense, but his potential 'talent' offensively is the only reason he is in the league, no?

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 03:13 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Then what other reason do you have for him being here? Maybe he doesnt provide offense, but his potential 'talent' offensively is the only reason he is in the league, no?
I don't know why he's here. He's become an average #6 defenseman by being adequate in his own zone at the expense of his offense.

Old
03-07-2011, 03:14 PM
E Nixson