HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wgr550

Old
03-07-2011, 03:44 PM
murp0837

vCash: 500
Wgr550

Seriously, I can't handle Schopp and the Bulldog. They spend MOST of their broadcast hours being negative. Now, they're criticizing callers for being negative. The double standard is absurd.

What are the Buffalo alternatives? I know WECK has Mendola and Riter now, but are they any good. I'm currently living in Louisiana, so I rely on my iPhone for streams. WECK doesn't offer iPhone streams.

murp0837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 03:57 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Agreed there horrible, not many options though...

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 04:04 PM
fightclubber25

their opinion>your opinion.

what fun!

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 04:08 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Bulldog used to be good by himself, now that he's with Schopp they're both awful to listen to. They spend more time talking about their favorite color and American Idol (slight sarcasm, not these specifically all the time but things completely off topic) than Buffalo sports. There is really no alternatives so I pretty much do without sports radio at the moment barring sporadic use.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Ah, another good WGR thread. I listen to what's in the audio vault and that's about as much as I need. They seem to be so critical of the callers and completely adverse to having any real conversation when someone intelligent calls in. I'm surprised anyone calls that show.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
NHL Radio on XM anyone? http://www.nhl.com/radio/nhl_hour.html

03-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Thorton02

Maybe Pegs will get fed up with the negative attitude and bring back WNSA. I'm sure I can speak for everyone here when I say we need more Art Wanderer and less Bulldog.

Along the same lines, has everyone tried the WGR app? This is why I bought a smart phone. Best thing in the world.

Thorton02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 04:31 PM
iknowphysics

Send a message via AIM to iknowphysics
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightclubber25 View Post
their opinion>your opinion.

what fun!
Yeah, no ****. Being out of town, I hadn't listened in a long time, but I listened to their post-Pegula intro press conference call ins.

Despite all of the good that came out of that presser, they were still ******** all over everything, and when one fan politely tried to call them out for being too negative, they hung up on him before he could finish a sentence and proclaimed that "none of our listeners tune in to listen to that."

Whiskey tango foxtrot!

I don't miss that at all.

{edit: and yet I too have the WGR app; hypocrisy!}

iknowphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 04:36 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by murp0837 View Post
Seriously, I can't handle Schopp and the Bulldog. They spend MOST of their broadcast hours being negative. Now, they're criticizing callers for being negative. The double standard is absurd.

What are the Buffalo alternatives? I know WECK has Mendola and Riter now, but are they any good. I'm currently living in Louisiana, so I rely on my iPhone for streams. WECK doesn't offer iPhone streams.
They are horrible. And what really makes it bad is they don't know that much about hockey. I don't listen unless they have a guest. I listen to Howard Simon on the audio vault and anything by Paul Hamilton, who really does know his stuff. Hamilton, for me, is the best media source about anything involving Sabres. He's not much of a writer but his information tops Bucky, Vogl, Harrington and well Sullivan is just an idiot.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 04:36 PM
JD SabreFan

Send a message via AIM to JD SabreFan
I actually find them quite positive, since they're employed by the Sabres and all. They **** on callers who call in to criticize the organization.

We should put this in the suggestion box at Sabres.com

JD SabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 04:44 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD SabreFan View Post
I actually find them quite positive, since they're employed by the Sabres and all. They **** on callers who call in to criticize the organization.

Positive? Negative? Who cares. It's their appalling lack of knowledge, covered up by belligerence, that makes me tune out.
About two weeks ago a caller was on the line with a very good story. I was waiting to hear an interview so I was tuned in. It was how he met the Sabres real first player ever, and it was not Gilbert Perrault. It was a great call and they treated the caller like garbage because they never heard about it before.
These guys wouldn't know some basic players in team history. I bet if you ask them who backed up Don Edwards, they'd draw a blank. They probably wouldn't even know who we traded Housley for or who we picked first the last time we had a #1 pick.
And what do they really know about the current team? Nothing? What guests do they have?
Forget them. Tune into Fan 590 in Toronto, it's not that Leafs centric, and wait for 6 p.m. and pregame stuff.

Last edited by HogtownSabresfan: 03-07-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old
03-07-2011, 04:47 PM
murp0837

The best part about the show is when Rob Ray comes on.

I'd normally listen to XM online, but sometimes I like local radio. I figured today would be a happy, positive day. Bulldog started talking about how the team is better without Roy, then when a caller calls in about Pominville they start ******** all over him.

I suppose the appropriate word is condescending.

murp0837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I prefer Jeff Marek and HNIC Radio on Sirius from 3-6 on channel 97.

I think cbcradio website simulcasts the broadcast as well.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Goose08

Living in Rochester, I rather like the show. It's really the only show on the radio that even touches on the NHL or Sabres, let alone spend a decent portion of the show talking about them (especially after football season).

I don't agree with everything they say, and sometimes I find myself yelling at them at the top of my lungs at them, but it's a lot better than the alternative (John Ditullio show).

All in all, I'm glad they broadcast the show in Rochester.

Goose08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
I prefer Jeff Marek and HNIC Radio on Sirius from 3-6 on channel 97.

I think cbcradio website simulcasts the broadcast as well.
Also a very good choice -- not one I get to listen to regularly.

I haven't listened to the Fan 590 much in the last 9 months -- the Hockey Show from noon to 2:00 p.m. was pretty good at one time, but I don't know if it is still on. Solid guests, people talking about the game from various places.... not movie director mock drafts or immitation voiceovers. Sports. Just hockey.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Also a very good choice -- not one I get to listen to regularly.

I haven't listened to the Fan 590 much in the last 9 months -- the Hockey Show from noon to 2:00 p.m. was pretty good at one time, but I don't know if it is still on. Solid guests, people talking about the game from various places.... not movie director mock drafts or immitation voiceovers. Sports. Just hockey.
Luckily, Sirius also simulcasts the Fan590 from noon until 2. One hour of Greg Brady, one hour of X and Doug McLean.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 05:30 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by murp0837 View Post
I suppose the appropriate word is condescending.
...how you talk down to people when you don't know anything? Somehow they manage to do it.
TSN radio starts April 13 and I imagine they will be heavy on hockey. It will hit the Leafs a lot but it's supposed to be national so it shoudn't be too bad. On the dial at 1050 in Toronto, if you can pick it up in Buffalo.

Old
03-07-2011, 05:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD SabreFan View Post

Yeah, same here. Maybe they said something negative today? Schopp has been saying this team will make playoffs for a while now and he was one of the more positive people going into the Pegula press conference. I am not their biggest fans, because they treat callers like garbage but i wouldnt say they are negative.

Also, nothing major will change with WGR until WECK gets bigger. Right now, weck radio is still a joke. Brad Riter is an awesome host but he disses WGR for going off topic a lot but so does he. And Mendola talks about BS ALL the time too. Besides, they only have sports from 4pm until like 10pm. No real threat to WGR.

Weck has no reporters, and all national news stuff all day. If they want to compete against WGR like they said they do, they got to get better coverage of the teams (Bills and Sabres) but most importantly, they need more live shows. Once they do that, WGR will be forced to change it's culture a bit, like, hiring more people and doing more things with Bills and Sabres.

Competition is great and right now WGR has none.

1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 05:46 PM
sabresfan129103

I like the morning show. I wish they would move Howard Simon to afternoons.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Goose08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekera44 View Post
Yeah, same here. Maybe they said something negative today? Schopp has been saying this team will make playoffs for a while now and he was one of the more positive people going into the Pegula press conference. I am not their biggest fans, because they treat callers like garbage but i wouldnt say they are negative.
In their defense, when they have a caller who makes a decent call to the show they usually treat them just fine.

It's the people who call up wondering why we don't make a trade for Crosby or just want to hear their voice's on the radio that get hung up on or worse.

I get pretty pissed at most people who call the show, myself. I suppose they could be a little nicer but after years of these types of people calling up, I'd be a little fed up too.

Goose08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
Ah, another good WGR thread. I listen to what's in the audio vault and that's about as much as I need. They seem to be so critical of the callers and completely adverse to having any real conversation when someone intelligent calls in. I'm surprised anyone calls that show.
I'm with you - that's all I can handle or need out of them. Their morning show crew is annoying beyond belief. Schopp has his moments but the nonsense he and Bulldog go off on is just as annoying.

The thing is that most commerical radio sports-talk shows have all morphed into the same thing. WFAN in NYC started out as respectable, knowledgable discussion and then started going downhill.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Jeremy2020

I stopped listening to the Sabres broadcasts and stick with what i'm dealt by TV because of the commercials where they have a segment of these goons on the online feed. They're awful.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 07:44 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

I like Howard Simon and Jeremy White in the morning, but I turn off WGR after that.

Mendola is a cool guy, but he can be a little bit annoying on-air and in person. He talks way too much.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 08:20 PM
kritter65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose08 View Post
In their defense, when they have a caller who makes a decent call to the show they usually treat them just fine.

It's the people who call up wondering why we don't make a trade for Crosby or just want to hear their voice's on the radio that get hung up on or worse.

I get pretty pissed at most people who call the show, myself. I suppose they could be a little nicer but after years of these types of people calling up, I'd be a little fed up too.
Well put.

FWIW, I love every local/weekday show on WGR, especially Schopp and the Bulldog. And no, I don't work there, am not friends with any of them, or am related to any host. The people they're "rude" to are basically morons and I'd be fed up with hearing them every day. And like you said Goose, they treat the intelligent callers just fine.

kritter65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 08:33 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

They are horrible.Schopp and Bulldog are DB's and jackasses. They have no knowledge and are jerks.I'll never listen to those idiots.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote