HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyler Bozak Extension ?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-06-2011, 06:14 PM
  #101
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
I don't see how anyone can say the talent's not there. The drive may not be, since he looks to be a checking line centre and he may not be willing to take the punishment/play the role, but his talent is there. Strong enough, more than quick enough and has the hands to do it.
he won't 14 games without a single point and had 1 in 17 the talent is NOT there he is garbage

I know you will come back with "well Kessel went 14 without a goal is he garbage to?" no because dispite that he is on pace to break 30+ goals for the 3rd stright year and in that slump he still put up a few assists Bozak did NOTHING 0 ZLICH

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 06:19 PM
  #102
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 27,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
he won't 14 games without a single point and had 1 in 17 the talent is NOT there he is garbage

I know you will come back with "well Kessel went 14 without a goal is he garbage to?" no because dispite that he is on pace to break 30+ goals for the 3rd stright year and in that slump he still put up a few assists Bozak did NOTHING 0 ZLICH
So now we've come to the conclusion that Kessel is better than Bozak. Congrats.

When you say talent, I think skills. Skating, stickhandling, passing, etc.. His raw skills are easily good enough for the NHL. I'm betting you could compile a nice list of 3rd liners from guys who didn't record a point in 14 games.

Not sure why I am even responding though, your argument is weak and you're reaching right off the bat. Logical replies aren't going to change that.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 06:22 PM
  #103
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf
 
RealisticLeaf55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ottawa, On.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,890
vCash: 2090
re-sign 1.5 mil for 2 seasons. Sign Brooks Laich. Center issues not solved but temporarily upgraded.

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 07:39 PM
  #104
Disgruntled Observer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,640
vCash: 500
Kessel certainly needs a centerman better than Bozak. I don't think anybody's arguing against that.

But I think Bozak (this disastrous year aside) is probably a better option for 3rd line centre than Boyce or Brent.

So resign him if the price is right. If it isn't, Burke needs to find a 1st line and 3rd line center during the offseason.
Might be easier said than done.

Disgruntled Observer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 09:35 PM
  #105
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor
 
rojac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Waterloo, ON
Posts: 6,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticLeaf55 View Post
re-sign 1.5 mil for 2 seasons. Sign Brooks Laich. Center issues not solved but temporarily upgraded.
Do you mean 1.5 million a season or .75 million a season? The former, I'd say, is too much and the latter is a pay cut from the base .875 million he makes now. l think somewhere around 1 million a season for 2 seasons is about right.

rojac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 09:39 PM
  #106
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's
 
Michael Gary Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,929
vCash: 50
1.7/2 years sealed stamped and delivered.

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 09:57 PM
  #107
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barilko14 View Post
What would be the purpose of a two way contract? To spit in his face? He would have to clear waivers to be re-assigned.
In real life, as opposed to EA Sports, a 2-way contract has nothing to do with waiver.

As he has signed his first contract at 23 and has played more than 60 games, he is not waiver-exempt anymore.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 10:05 PM
  #108
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup
 
Rockinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,111
vCash: 500
1.65 x 2 years

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:26 AM
  #109
pacdunes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arizona & San Fran
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
Kessel certainly needs a centerman better than Bozak. I don't think anybody's arguing against that.

But I think Bozak (this disastrous year aside) is probably a better option for 3rd line centre than Boyce or Brent.

So resign him if the price is right. If it isn't, Burke needs to find a 1st line and 3rd line center during the offseason.
Might be easier said than done.
Boyce and Brent are physical and can take the body. Bozak can't/or is not willing. Do you think body-checking will be banned next year?

pacdunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:29 AM
  #110
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,972
vCash: 140
1.1 x 2 years. Burke can give extra 200k if needed, but please, no darn bonuses! It really hurts our capspace.

Can kill PK, and is good at face-offs. Also, if this year is his sophomore slump, then he can be a real steal too.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:36 AM
  #111
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 27,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsfan80 View Post
1.1 x 2 years. Burke can give extra 200k if needed, but please, no darn bonuses! It really hurts our capspace.

Can kill PK, and is good at face-offs. Also, if this year is his sophomore slump, then he can be a real steal too.
He can't get a bonus contract and he didn't earn many (if any) last year, so it didn't hurt our cap space.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:08 PM
  #112
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
He can't get a bonus contract and he didn't earn many (if any) last year, so it didn't hurt our cap space.
This is where you're wrong, in regards to hurting our Cap space. IMO

There is 7.5% bonus cushion (above the Hard Cap) which was equal to about $4.5 mil in addition to the Salary Cap ceiling.

That bonus cushion however was filled with Schenn ($2.1 mil) bonus+ Gustavasson ($1.6 mil) + Kulemin ($850k) = $4.55 mil. So the full 7.5% unearned bonuses were allocated.

So when Bozak joined the team at mid season his entire $3.725 (prorated for 1/2 season remaining now) amount base and bonus needed to be accounted for below the hard Cap amount because the bonus cushion slush account was already full with players on ELC that had been a part of the Team since Day 1. There was no room to put Bozak's $2.85 mil bonus portion into an already full slush fund.

Leafs incurred a carryover penalty to this season because Leafs spent to the full cap amount last year, and when the bonuses of Schenn, Gustavsson, Kulemin etc were calculated at end of season as earned they did not fit into 2009-10 Hard Cap but had to be deferred to 2010-11 instead as a Cap penalty. As per the CBA all earned bonuses have to be accounted for fully in the current season if there is Cap space or deferred to the following season.

This was a direct outcome of Bozak's contract having to be counted in full with unearned bonuses and all. So it did hurt the Leafs Cap, but it was in actual effect this year rather than last as a result and it didn't matter if Bozak didn't earn his bonuses.

__________________
Signature: There is no greater demonstration of Fan patience then to suggest to "Play the Kids " and be willing to accept the consequences of those actions..

Last edited by Mess: 03-07-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:30 PM
  #113
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
I don't think Bozak's unearned bonuses had anything to do with the bonus overages this year. Bozak's $875 000 counted toward the hard cap at the end of the year, not the $3.75 that counted until the end of the year. Any earned bonuses would of course be part of the bonus overages that had to be paid.

His $3.75 million hurt our ability to add another contract last year, but had nothing to do with this year.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:38 PM
  #114
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 27,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
This is where you're wrong, in regards to hurting our Cap space. IMO

There is 7.5% bonus cushion (above the Hard Cap) which was equal to about $4.5 mil in addition to the Salary Cap ceiling.

That bonus cushion however was filled with Schenn ($2.1 mil) bonus+ Gustavasson ($1.6 mil) + Kulemin ($850k) = $4.55 mil. So the full 7.5% unearned bonuses were allocated.

So when Bozak joined the team at mid season his entire $3.725 (prorated for 1/2 season remaining now) amount base and bonus needed to be accounted for below the hard Cap amount because the bonus cushion slush account was already full with players on ELC that had been a part of the Team since Day 1. There was no room to put Bozak's $2.85 mil bonus portion into an already full slush fund.

Leafs incurred a carryover penalty to this season because Leafs spent to the full cap amount last year, and when the bonuses of Schenn, Gustavsson, Kulemin etc were calculated at end of season as earned they did not fit into 2009-10 Hard Cap but had to be deferred to 2010-11 instead as a Cap penalty. As per the CBA all earned bonuses have to be accounted for fully in the current season if there is Cap space or deferred to the following season.

This was a direct outcome of Bozak's contract having to be counted in full with unearned bonuses and all. So it did hurt the Leafs Cap, but it was in actual effect this year rather than last as a result and it didn't matter if Bozak didn't earn his bonuses.
We went over this all summer, he was added later in the year when guys like Komisarek were already out for the year. His whole cap hit whether it be $3.75 or 875k wouldn't really matter, since it was covered. The injuries pushed the teams hard cap to the limit, and the bonuses met by those other players incurred the penalties. Had the Leafs used a player like Boyce, it wouldn't have mattered, since the NHL doesn't "create" cap space with an LTIR.

Basically what happens is the NHL allows you to exceed the hard cap by the injured amunt ($4.5 for a full year of Komi as an example). They only give "relief" once you've broken the hard cap threshold and then it's just counted as the max hard ceiling.

Not all of Bozak's potential bonuses counted, since he couldn't meet the GP requirement on TOI, +/- or PPG. No ASG either, so he couldn't get the ASG bonus of the ASG MVP bonus. The NHL only counts bonus that can be achieved, since Bozak couldn't have reached these figures, they wouldn't have counted against his cap hit.


Last edited by EazyB97: 03-07-2011 at 12:48 PM.
EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 04:03 PM
  #115
PPfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
Hair extensions?

The Bieb says hello.

PPfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 04:09 PM
  #116
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Air Canada Center
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,011
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPfan View Post
Hair extensions?

The Bieb says hello.
im telling you once he brought up the biebs he has not been playing good

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 06:19 PM
  #117
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsfan80 View Post
1.1 x 2 years. Burke can give extra 200k if needed, but please, no darn bonuses! It really hurts our capspace.

Can kill PK, and is good at face-offs. Also, if this year is his sophomore slump, then he can be a real steal too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
He can't get a bonus contract and he didn't earn many (if any) last year, so it didn't hurt our cap space.
EazyB97 is right. From nhl.com:

Quote:
PERFORMANCE BONUSES

What players may earn in performance bonuses?

Performance bonuses will only be permissible for the following types of players: (1) players on entry-level contracts; (2) players signing one-year contracts after returning from long-term injuries (players with 400 or more games who spent 100 or more days on injured reserve in the last year of their most recent contract); and senior veteran players who sign a one-year contract after the age of 35.
As his next contract won't be an ELC, no bonuses.

EDIT: As for those who say "give him $700K", they don't seem to realize that he'll be an UFA if not offered at least 10% more ($963K).

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 06:30 PM
  #118
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
This is where you're wrong, in regards to hurting our Cap space. IMO

There is 7.5% bonus cushion (above the Hard Cap) which was equal to about $4.5 mil in addition to the Salary Cap ceiling.

That bonus cushion however was filled with Schenn ($2.1 mil) bonus+ Gustavasson ($1.6 mil) + Kulemin ($850k) = $4.55 mil. So the full 7.5% unearned bonuses were allocated.

So when Bozak joined the team at mid season his entire $3.725 (prorated for 1/2 season remaining now) amount base and bonus needed to be accounted for below the hard Cap amount because the bonus cushion slush account was already full with players on ELC that had been a part of the Team since Day 1. There was no room to put Bozak's $2.85 mil bonus portion into an already full slush fund.

Leafs incurred a carryover penalty to this season because Leafs spent to the full cap amount last year, and when the bonuses of Schenn, Gustavsson, Kulemin etc were calculated at end of season as earned they did not fit into 2009-10 Hard Cap but had to be deferred to 2010-11 instead as a Cap penalty. As per the CBA all earned bonuses have to be accounted for fully in the current season if there is Cap space or deferred to the following season.

This was a direct outcome of Bozak's contract having to be counted in full with unearned bonuses and all. So it did hurt the Leafs Cap, but it was in actual effect this year rather than last as a result and it didn't matter if Bozak didn't earn his bonuses.
You are correct for the most part, but not on the part about Bozak's bonuses resulting in the carry over. He didn't play enough games to be eligible for per-game-based bonuses, and didn't produce enough to be eligible for any season-based bonuses.

We exceeded the cap by $1.4m in paid out money, because we used the cap space made available by having Mike Van Ryn on the LTIR for the entire season, and because of bonuses to Schenn/Kulemin/Gustavsson/etc.

This year -- Bozak will actually reach some of his bonuses. We know that he has a maxed out rookie contract, which means that he has a $212,500 bonus due if he is among the top 6 forwards in ice time on an aggregate or per game basis. It's fairly safe to say that he's going to get that one.

That will be added to his $875k base salary, which means his qualifying offer is 1-way, 1-year contract worth $1,087,500. I see no reason for him to sign a multi-year deal unless it comes at a significant premium beyond that.


Last edited by seanlinden: 03-07-2011 at 06:37 PM.
seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.