HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Gotta ask: Has Lavy worn them out?

Old
03-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush18 View Post
Lavy told the media today that he thinks he may have overworked the players and thinks they may be fatigued and quite a number of them suffering from low energy due to the flue, he said he cancelled practice today because of it.
He cancelled practice because of the pathetic effort yesterday and three games in four nights. I am sure he does not want to see their faces.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal View Post
Even with all this going on, we are still in first. We can start turning it around tomorrow night by getting back to basics against the Oilers. Open up a can if you know what I'm saying.
They have lost to: Sens, Leafs, Sabres, and Rangers, not really teams who strike fear in the belly of a team as stacked as the Flyers. And it is not like these were games that were close, they were physically beat by teams not as good.

This may be part of the problem, the players on the team may seem to think they are as good as the press clippings tell them, but the rest is about work ethic and an hones effort. The vets all realize this but I think some of the pretty boys in the locker room may have a problem with their success and how the coach still works them, maybe they feel entitled to days off?

Old
03-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
He cancelled practice because of the pathetic effort yesterday and three games in four nights. I am sure he does not want to see their faces.
Totally agree, but he also said he may have worn them out a bit and thinks they are fatigued.... but homer came right back to the media and said the players better not use this as an excuse.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush18 View Post
Totally agree, but he also said he may have worn them out a bit and thinks they are fatigued.... but homer came right back to the media and said the players better not use this as an excuse.
This is putting the results on tuesday directly on the shoulder of the team.

Old
03-07-2011, 12:45 PM
DUHockey9

I was trying to think of what I would do if I were coach...and I like giving them today off. I'd want to give them today off and let them know that they need to rest up, and come out flying next game or there will be hell to pay.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 01:58 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Well Lavy seems to think he might have worn them out to much.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...yers-struggles

Quote:
If I am being honest, I have to take one hundred percent responsibility for what happened yesterday. We came into the month of March and we wanted to push. We pushed hard for three days and will continue to push hard, but yesterday I think we felt the effects of that. We came in and we didn't have the jam that we needed to play a team that had plenty of it.

"If everyone is honest here and you look at the game as an isolated game, we had no gas. We had no energy, and I think to bring them in again, with the mental part of it and the physical part of it, I just didn't see the good that it was going to do. More than anything, they need to catch a break, to kind of rebound on that. A team without energy, if the physical part is there, the mental part goes, and there was just nothing yesterday. I think we were drained.

To get a day off, even though it's under the toughest of circumstances and a tough loss like that, I really feel that the benefits will be seen on Tuesday by not having to mentally and physically come in to the rink."

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:13 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

I think the flu that went around the team wore them out.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Cartsiephan*

I think he is telling the locker room that he will take the hit on this one, but for the sake of their loved ones they had better beat Edmonton or it is back to bag skates. I mean come on, the coach said he noted complacency as did the GM, losing to teams they should beat by being outworked he made them accountable. IMO there was some quit on this team.

Old
03-07-2011, 04:47 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It's possible.

The other part of being worn out is the wear and tear they took last season, which is something no one wants to talk about.
Yea I think its last year, a long season this year with a lot of games bunched together plus the flu going though the lockerroom (can you imagine playing preplayoff hockey with the flu, youd look tired too) and the up temp system. I think they rest up with less practices and more days off. This kind of thing makes teams hungry and will prob have a positive effect by the time the playoffs come around.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 05:18 PM
DenverBoone

Quote:
I think he is telling the locker room that he will take the hit on this one, but for the sake of their loved ones they had better beat Edmonton or it is back to bag skates. I mean come on, the coach said he noted complacency as did the GM, losing to teams they should beat by being outworked he made them accountable. IMO there was some quit on this team.
Edmonton should be scared ****less. I have a feeling that the Flyers are going to come out with #tigerblood.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Edmonton should be scared ****less. I have a feeling that the Flyers are going to come out with #tigerblood.
You, my friend, are winning.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Dorny12

Panotch says Lavy admits error ...

Fatigue and illness plus overwork = slump.
http://www.csnphilly.com/03/07/11/Fa...951&feedID=704

Dorny12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 07:38 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
I refuse to make excuses, but this flu bug has got to be at least part of the reason for their poor play, no?
I would think so. That and boredom and the plain and simple numeric fact that this team MUST score on the powerplay to win games, owing to the fact that they ice the lesser of the two goaltenders every single night.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 07:39 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Edmonton should be scared ****less.
More like salivating if they watched that game yesterday.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 07:44 PM
mm6492

When we hired Laviolette people said hee wears out his welcome after about two or three years and that the players tune him out. Hopefully that doesn't happen, but thought it was worth pointing out.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 07:47 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
More like salivating if they watched that game yesterday.
Don't think so. Everyone will be expecting the Flyers to come out ready to make a statement.

Every hockey team wants to bounce back big after a loss like that. Even if the roles were reversed and Edmonton were the team getting a 7-0 spanking yesterday, the Flyers would be preparing for their A-game.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
When we hired Laviolette people said hee wears out his welcome after about two or three years and that the players tune him out. Hopefully that doesn't happen, but thought it was worth pointing out.
I dont really think that 3/4 of the way through a 1st place season the team would just tune the coach out all of a sudden, its likely to be from the flu/fatigue/no desperation/enevitable slight falter every team in pro sports goes through each year

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Mike2000z28

Im not holding my breath for tommorow thats for sure. Its going to be a tough game for sure, but i still think its a loss. Aiming for Number 5!

Mike2000z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:12 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
usually teams get out of slumps though D efforts. I think we win 2-1. Then we start to pick up the offense from there.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:35 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I call shutout against the Baby Oilers...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 06:45 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

sigh............ I hate being superstitious sometimes

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 07:54 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorny12 View Post
Fatigue and illness plus overwork = slump.
http://www.csnphilly.com/03/07/11/Fa...951&feedID=704
Problem is some symptoms of this slump began around Christmas.

Old
03-08-2011, 08:33 AM
facts

Quote:
This is putting the results on tuesday directly on the shoulder of the team.
As earlier stated in this trhread Lavi is taking the heat for this and Homer is stepping up for him and challenging the team. The problem with this team is that the players own nothing, different page, different chapter, flu, nothing to play for on and on. Hopefully they have a closed door and lay it out. They need to compete and they have not done that, this team is too deep to not succeed, the powerplay the defense and the offence all need to start competing.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
As earlier stated in this trhread Lavi is taking the heat for this and Homer is stepping up for him and challenging the team. The problem with this team is that the players own nothing, different page, different chapter, flu, nothing to play for on and on. Hopefully they have a closed door and lay it out. They need to compete and they have not done that, this team is too deep to not succeed, the powerplay the defense and the offence all need to start competing.
Standings have tightened up, if there was nothing to play for when they were up 9pts it has certainly changed over just a week or so. Time to get a more businesslike, playoff mentality. No more excuses.

Old
03-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Mike2000z28

Quote:
Problem is some symptoms of this slump began around Christmas.
Bingo, thats why everyone says all teams go through it. A 3 month playing sloppy slump? I don't think so. Its the way they are losing, not that they are losing is what is worrisome. They have been not competing for months now at a level they should be and now that most teams have stepped it up to make the playoffs, the flyers are nowhere to be found. Every team is killing them in pretty much every category.

Just think....We haven't really had any serious injuries compared to Pittsburgh and Vancouver, but yet Vancouver is ahead of us in the standings and Pittsburgh is so close to us without Crosby and Malkin!!!!! I mean cmon now!! IF they can win with Ahlers and callups and we can't then we have a serious problem.

Just Imagine if Pittsburgh passed us in the standings without their two best players. We will never hear the end of it.

Mike2000z28 is offline   Reply With Quote