Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winning Now

Old
03-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

vCash: 500
We're so close to a position where we can export contracts and simply promote our way into contention. We have a lot of young potential defensemen within 18 months of the NHL right now, including Bartkowski and possibly Alexandrov. If Valabik rounds into a competent shutdown D, that really helps complete the picture amazingly. We have Rask, obviously, in net who should be good for at least 8-10 years as a Bruin. And we have forwards out the wazoo ready to make an impact within the next 3 seasons. We even have some redundancy on hand if given prospect A turns into a bust. I really like what Chia has done for us -- a lot.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
So when you say winning now, you mean winning next season?

Can we save this crap until the Bruins lose in the 2nd round.
I agree. Let's just wait and see what lies ahead for the rest of this season before deciding we need to gut the team.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Mancini0518

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
We're so close to a position where we can export contracts and simply promote our way into contention. We have a lot of young potential defensemen within 18 months of the NHL right now, including Bartkowski and possibly Alexandrov. If Valabik rounds into a competent shutdown D, that really helps complete the picture amazingly. We have Rask, obviously, in net who should be good for at least 8-10 years as a Bruin. And we have forwards out the wazoo ready to make an impact within the next 3 seasons. We even have some redundancy on hand if given prospect A turns into a bust. I really like what Chia has done for us -- a lot.
I agree i like what he has done but in my opinion the Bruins dont have a first pairing D prospect in their system. Hopefully chia will address this with Toronto's pick.

Mancini0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Yeah, we'd need to get lucky with Chudinov or Valabik to get that guy. It's the biggest issue we have in the farm atm and one of the biggest reasons I think that the next 3-4 years are our best chance to get a Cup in the near term before Chara really starts to show his age. I don't see a defenseman I can look at and say "yep, that guy's a potential #1 D."

THe only guy I could see who even has the potential to fake it Hal Gill style is Adam McQuaid. There needs to be a lot of improvement there first obviously, but I do think we haven't seen the best of McQuaid. I don't just say that because he's tough. He's shown that he has some offensive ability in a make-the-simple-smart-play kind of way and his positioning is sound. A little work on his skating speed and this guy is going to be at least a middle pair leader a la Seidenberg. But he's still not a guy who should be the best you can do.

Old
03-07-2011, 10:42 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini0518 View Post
I agree i like what he has done but in my opinion the Bruins dont have a first pairing D prospect in their system. Hopefully chia will address this with Toronto's pick.
If the pick ends up around 5, I don't see how you can pass up trying to get Landeskog. Other than that, 5-10 should have some very good defensemen. Dougie Hamilton is intriguing and Ryan Murphy is projected to be in that range as well.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:51 AM
caper8

Think Landeskog will be there at 5? IMO he's gone no later than 3

caper8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:54 AM
caper8

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper8 View Post
You're absolutely right though. If ya can't get Larsson, go for Landeskog. Can't pass up on that guy.

caper8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:13 AM
patty59

If you can garauntee me a Cup this year or next then I'll trade anyone on this roster, but you can't so you have to keep stocking the cupboard and making the right moves every year to remain in the conversation.

Booth doesn't make us that much better that losing Rask wouldn't matter. Keep Rask, promote from within and add if you need to. Stay the course and it will pay off IMO.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Unless we win the lottery, at this point it hardly matters.

Old
03-07-2011, 11:31 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper8 View Post
No, but #5 plus Minnesota's pick or another prospect might be enough to get to #3. He could slip to #4. Remember the last guy who was the consensus #3? Anything's possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Unless we win the lottery, at this point it hardly matters.
Leafs have a bear of a schedule from here on out, 2 of the 3 teams right behind them have a game in hand and only trail by 2 and 3 points. They've undergone a resurgence, sure, but I think they end up behind all three of St. Louis, NJ, and Atlanta, meaning they'd get the #6.

Old
03-07-2011, 11:43 AM
ODAAT

The draft is a whole world of unknowns, last year anyone and everyone knew Segs/Hall were 1 and 2. But nobody saw a guy like Fowler slip to 12th, or Gormley in 13th, these guys were spoken about as almost surefire top 5 picks right behind the afformentioned.

Anything can happen, not every team picks the best available player , often they will pick who is the best player that can fill their respective needs best, and sometimes, that player is a guy who may not be spoken about as much as the obvious kids. Lottery pick or not, the B`s are going to get a top 10 pick, this draft may lack star power, but from all accounts, it is a draft that has a bunch of kids who I am reading will absolutely be NHL players.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:49 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
The draft is a whole world of unknowns, last year anyone and everyone knew Segs/Hall were 1 and 2. But nobody saw a guy like Fowler slip to 12th, or Gormley in 13th, these guys were spoken about as almost surefire top 5 picks right behind the afformentioned.

Anything can happen, not every team picks the best available player , often they will pick who is the best player that can fill their respective needs best, and sometimes, that player is a guy who may not be spoken about as much as the obvious kids. Lottery pick or not, the B`s are going to get a top 10 pick, this draft may lack star power, but from all accounts, it is a draft that has a bunch of kids who I am reading will absolutely be NHL players.
I was watching that draft slack-jawed. Gudbranson over Fowler, I could see it based on what kind of presence the team needs. Nino over Fowler, you're dabbling into risky territory but Nino's stock had been skyrocketing while Fowler's had slipped. But when he started sliding and sliding and sliding, I couldn't believe some of the names that went above him. Thus far, it looks like quite a few teams may have missed the boat.

Old
03-07-2011, 11:54 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
I was watching that draft slack-jawed. Gudbranson over Fowler, I could see it based on what kind of presence the team needs. Nino over Fowler, you're dabbling into risky territory but Nino's stock had been skyrocketing while Fowler's had slipped. But when he started sliding and sliding and sliding, I couldn't believe some of the names that went above him. Thus far, it looks like quite a few teams may have missed the boat.
Sure did (missed the boat) but again, this is what makes drafting so much more intricate than any of us here on the boards, unless we have first hand experience in the talent evaluation profession could ever imagine.

Theororetically (sp?) you could say that 48 other teams missed the boat on Lucic, if they knew now what he`d be as an NHL`er he`d probably have some team try and snag him in at least the top 15 to be on the safe side.

It`s a crapshoot, again, you may have player A who is the best available player outright, but if you have a glaring need for a D-man and player A is a forward, do ya pick him??? Not as easy as we like to think it is sitting comfortably at home I have to think.

Old
03-07-2011, 12:20 PM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

The team's window is wide open, and looking good. Come what may this year (though my hopes are high!), next year, of Bergeron, Lucic, Krejci, Horton, Marchand, McQuaid, Seguin, Kampfer, and Rask, the oldest of them will be 26 at this point in the year. Moving Rask is not something that would be on the forefront of my mind, were I playing the chips.

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:22 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8spokesontheB View Post
The team's window is wide open, and looking good. Come what may this year (though my hopes are high!), next year, of Bergeron, Lucic, Krejci, Horton, Marchand, McQuaid, Seguin, Kampfer, and Rask, the oldest of them will be 26. Moving Rask is not something that would be on the forefront of my mind, were I playing the chips.
Nor in the forefront of Chia`s either I don`t suspect.

Old
03-07-2011, 12:31 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Sure did (missed the boat) but again, this is what makes drafting so much more intricate than any of us here on the boards, unless we have first hand experience in the talent evaluation profession could ever imagine.

Theororetically (sp?) you could say that 48 other teams missed the boat on Lucic, if they knew now what he`d be as an NHL`er he`d probably have some team try and snag him in at least the top 15 to be on the safe side.

It`s a crapshoot, again, you may have player A who is the best available player outright, but if you have a glaring need for a D-man and player A is a forward, do ya pick him??? Not as easy as we like to think it is sitting comfortably at home I have to think.
Well in Lucic's case, guessing the upside of a player is much less of an exact science as evaluating the talent that he already has. Fowler walked from the draft into the NHL while some big, athletic kid went back to Vancouver to take on a leadership role, made his game grow into his body, and emerged from that season as the Milan Lucic we saw in Boston.

With Lucic, there was a maturation process, and while many scouts didn't deny the upside they were uncertain he'd ever achieve his full potential because he was a well-below average skater. I remember Kirk saying he was caught a little bit by surprise by the Lucic selection, but once he heard a number of Bruins scouts salivate over his game he felt confident that they had made the right choice. Fowler's skills alone were enough to land him in the NHL immediately after the draft. Seems there were other factors that made him slip.

Old
03-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Quezzle E

looks pretty consistent that people here think rask has more value to us as is then what we could get in return. i'd trade the farm and rask for duchene... not gonna happen

Quezzle E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:58 PM
Savynquick*

1) habs got almost nothing for Halak
2) it's a flaw in logic to think that just because both your goalies are good, that any goalie would lead the league in GAA with this system. Our goalies make crazy saves night in and night out. Maybe both goalies are just awesome

Savynquick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:22 PM
RunFromTheBear

I say we go out and get the sure thing in Yandle.

Cap hit for a top pick $3M, cap hit for Yandle $5-6M.

Toronto pick, Minnesota pick, Bruins 3rd, Campbell, Boychuk, Hamill

Sign him to to a long term deal. He loves it, signs his remaining contracts at a discount. Guy ends up playing 12-14 years for his home town team, #33 is retired next to #77.

If he does become a UFA after next season, Cam Neely should meet with him with a photoshopped picture of 33, right up there next to 77, tell me that wouldn't do the trick to get him in the black and gold.

I am going to have some good dreams tonight!

RunFromTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:59 AM
FearTheBear
6-15-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinSG17 View Post

Sign him to to a long term deal. He loves it, signs his remaining contracts at a discount. Guy ends up playing 12-14 years for his home town team, #33 is retired next to #77.
If he does become a UFA after next season, Cam Neely should meet with him with a photoshopped picture of 33, right up there next to 77, tell me that wouldn't do the trick to get him in the black and gold.

Yandle wears #3 for phoenix. Lionel Hitchman's #3 is retired by the B's & I doubt Yandle would pull a Messier and demand the B's un-retire it like Messier did with Wayne Maki's #11 for the Canucks. The only 33 that will be retired for the Bruins is Chara's #33 if they win a Cup...or two

Last edited by FearTheBear: 03-08-2011 at 11:23 AM.
FearTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Explain to me what happens when Thomas tears his ACL going for one of his awful positioning saves? We put Rask in, and almost dont lose a beat. When you rely so much on Defense and Goaltending, you dont trade it away so easily. And Rask will not get a top line talent, which would be our price tag IMO. He worth far more to us than any team. Would I do Rask for Parise...sure, but NJD would laugh in our faces.

Bottom line, we have the luxury of having two stellar goalies, and if Thomas went down, wed arguably STILL be a Contender.

I'm holding onto him sans vast overpayment.

Tim Vezina Thomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:31 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:

If Phoenix is moving to Winnipeg, they sure as hell aren't going to give up Yandle. Whenever there's a new ownership group coming in, you have to wonder what the effect will be on the hockey ops budget. In this case, it can't get any lower so we assume they'll spend whatever it takes to ice at least a decent team. Yandle is still 4 years away from hitting unrestricted free agency, so there's no incentive to move him.

And let's not go crazy here - he's a good, promising young player but he's not Drew Doughty.

Old
03-08-2011, 11:36 AM
RunFromTheBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheBear View Post
Yandle wears #3 for phoenix. Lionel Hitchman's #3 is retired by the B's & I doubt Yandle would pull a Messier and demand the B's un-retire it like Messier did with Wayne Maki's #11 for the Canucks. The only 33 that will be retired for the Bruins is Chara's #33 if they win a Cup...or two
LOL Ohhhh yeah how could I forget Chara!

I wonder what number he would wear here, I just doubled the 3 to get 33 but that's retired. I wonder who his favorite Bruin was as a kid...probably Bourque and that number is retired...hmm

I think the Bruins need to do the wine and dine come home thing when he becomes a UFA, soften him up, try and get a "hometown discount". I wonder if his family is still up here?

Old
03-08-2011, 11:37 AM
RunFromTheBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
If Phoenix is moving to Winnipeg, they sure as hell aren't going to give up Yandle. Whenever there's a new ownership group coming in, you have to wonder what the effect will be on the hockey ops budget. In this case, it can't get any lower so we assume they'll spend whatever it takes to ice at least a decent team. Yandle is still 4 years away from hitting unrestricted free agency, so there's no incentive to move him.

And let's not go crazy here - he's a good, promising young player but he's not Drew Doughty.
He is a RFA this offseason, UFA the following

Old
03-08-2011, 11:38 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
LOL Ohhhh yeah how could I forget Chara!

I wonder what number he would wear here, I just doubled the 3 to get 33 but that's retired. I wonder who his favorite Bruin was as a kid...probably Bourque and that number is retired...hmm

I think the Bruins need to do the wine and dine come home thing when he becomes a UFA, soften him up, try and get a "hometown discount". I wonder if his family is still up here?
If Yandle played here, 6 would be the logical number.

Defensemen wear single digits, 33 is used, 7 is retired, 77 is retired, and 6 is double 3.