HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Brown Really Lead This Team To The Cup?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-08-2011, 03:23 AM
  #1
kingscourt26
Registered User
 
kingscourt26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 269
vCash: 500
Can Brown Really Lead This Team To The Cup?

In the most critical stretch of the season, we have seen Dustin Brown in his shell. He is almost invisible on the ice and his demotion to the 3rd line has exposed the type of player he is without top 6 caliber players supporting him.

I know what you do in the locker room can make you a good captain but when our boys come out in the 3rd period with no motivation and Brown doesn't do anything on the ice to sway the momentum of the game, either physically or offensively, how much is he really benefiting his team?

Management felt the C was some something Brown would grow into but personally I don't think he's the right fit. He's too quite and doesn't seem to impact the momentum of the game in the locker room, on the bench or on the ice.

Your thoughts?

kingscourt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 03:30 AM
  #2
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
Brown hasn't even figured out his own identity. The C was neither earned nor does he merit it today. Sometimes, the ugly girl gets the crown and wins the pageant because, at the time, she was the prettiest ugly girl there.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 03:42 AM
  #3
Black Mamba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
I agree with you, I think it might be better to take the C away from Brown and help him focus more on his game.

But if you take the C away from Brown, who do you give it to? Kopi doesn't seem like the kind of guy to lead the team off the ice, and Greene is a great locker room guy, but not the type of guy to lead the team on the ice. I'd go for Mitchell, seems like kind of a quiet guy but he's been pretty solid all year, and his presence on the team seems to make the entire D step up their game.

Black Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 03:45 AM
  #4
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,417
vCash: 500
This again ? Really?

Has anyone ever thought of the teams reaction to striping Dustin of the C; and giving it to a Guy that hasn't even been a King for a full Year ?

Seriously....I think Dustin has earned a little more respect than that.

Some of you people are hanging on every King's loss like it was the end of the world. Go outside, take a breath , life goes on even if the Kings lose.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 03:49 AM
  #5
kingscourt26
Registered User
 
kingscourt26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
This again ? Really?

Has anyone ever thought of the teams reaction to striping Dustin of the C; and giving it to a Guy that hasn't even been a King for a full Year ?

Seriously....I think Dustin has earned a little more respect than that.

Some of you people are hanging on every King's loss like it was the end of the world. Go outside, take a breath , life goes on even if the Kings lose.
Yes this again. This is the most critical time of the season and he's nowhere to be found. There is a reason it keeps on being brought up...it's a legitimate issue and my guess is since the last time it was brought up in a big way, fans are starting to have different opinions.

kingscourt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 03:55 AM
  #6
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line
 
Docgonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chino, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 618
vCash: 500
To me it seems like since they came back from the road trip, with the exception of tonight, Brownie has been mixing it up after the whistle. He hasn't been scoring but every time there was a little bit of a scuffle he was forcing his way into the middle of it and facewashing the opposing player or shoving them. I know for the longest time people complained that he wouldn't engage in this stuff, but maybe he is slowly rising to the occasion.

Docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 03:56 AM
  #7
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingscourt26 View Post
Yes this again. This is the most critical time of the season and he's nowhere to be found. There is a reason it keeps on being brought up...it's a legitimate issue and my guess is since the last time it was brought up in a big way, fans are starting to have different opinions.
And Fans make ZERO of those decisions on the Kings. Thank god. Management has expressed ZERO desire to strip Brown. The team is happy he has the C.

I don't know why people even discuss this.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 03:57 AM
  #8
dogyekcoh*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,154
vCash: 500
Hell No! Captain Drown has been invisible most of the season and I don't think he will ever change.
I would rather have Willy Mitchell or Justin Williams wearing the C instead of Drown.

dogyekcoh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 04:06 AM
  #9
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogyekcoh View Post
Hell No! Captain Drown has been invisible most of the season and I don't think he will ever change.
I would rather have Willy Mitchell or Justin Williams wearing the C instead of Drown.
Do you even watch the Kings play ?

Off the top of my head Brown leads the team in hits, is tied for the team lead in goals. Third on the team in total points, Second on the team in plus/minus. Has as many power play points as Drew, with less time no doubt.....ETC ETC.
If Brown is invisible the rest of team is already playing Golf.


Do any of you people watch the Kings at all ? Or look up any stats at all before you call out arguably the best player on the team statistically


Last edited by damacles1156: 03-08-2011 at 04:13 AM.
damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 04:31 AM
  #10
dogyekcoh*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Do you even watch the Kings play ?

Off the top of my head Brown leads the team in hits, is tied for the team lead in goals. Third on the team in total points, Second on the team in plus/minus.
If Brown is invisible the rest of team is already playing Golf.


Do any of you people watch the Kings at all ?
I am not just watching the game. I understand how the game should be played. Brown is the worst captain in this league. ***** I rather have Kelly Buchberger as our captain than Brown. If Brown doesn't show up on the ice, he can as least be vocal. when was the last time Brown saying anything meaningful that lit up rallying up the team?
Did you see how Morrow played tonight? Or Jarome Iginla plays the last 2 months? Those are the type of captain I wish the Kings could have. Screw the hits. Hits are for show, goals are for dough.
Most of his points were from the first half. Where is he now at the crucial time? With the way things are going maybe they will be playing golf in April.

dogyekcoh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 04:55 AM
  #11
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogyekcoh View Post
I am not just watching the game. I understand how the game should be played. Brown is the worst captain in this league. ***** I rather have Kelly Buchberger as our captain than Brown. If Brown doesn't show up on the ice, he can as least be vocal. when was the last time Brown saying anything meaningful that lit up rallying up the team?
Did you see how Morrow played tonight? Or Jarome Iginla plays the last 2 months? Those are the type of captain I wish the Kings could have. Screw the hits. Hits are for show, goals are for dough.
Most of his points were from the first half. Where is he now at the crucial time? With the way things are going maybe they will be playing golf in April.
Since February began.

Top producers on team.

Kopitar: 4g 12A 16 pts +4

Williams 2g 8a 10pts -4

Drew 6g 8a 14 pts -4

Brown 4g 3a 7pts +2 50 Hits most in the NHL for February.

If Brown is playing poorly you should be about ready to lynch the rest of the team about now.

Still in the top producers on the team since February began.

Anymore?

You really need to look at some stats before you toss Brown under the bus.

I am going to have a small chuckle when Brown explodes again (Cause he will, Streaky player). And all of you are on his jock again .


Last edited by damacles1156: 03-08-2011 at 05:09 AM.
damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 04:56 AM
  #12
redcard
Registered User
 
redcard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogyekcoh View Post
Hell No! Captain Drown has been invisible most of the season and I don't think he will ever change.
I would rather have Willy Mitchell or Justin Williams wearing the C instead of Drown.
I can't fathom how stitching a C onto the sweater of either of those players will magically evoke some sort of new abilities that will help the team win. They're both veteran players, and as we've seen with Smyth, Handzus, Scuderi, O'Donnell etc. they're all capable of leading, vocally or through on ice contributions, without the need for superficial titles and are all comfortable doing so without the fear of undermining the guys with the letters. Brown wearing the C reflects the team chemistry, the growth of the team as the youth-core become more experienced/effective players, and the relationship and commitment that Brown has made to the organization and the fans.

Do I believe that the C is dragging Brown's effectiveness down? No. The guys been here for 8 years, he was there when every single member of this team put on a Kings jersey for the first time. I can't imagine how he'd be struggling to figure out his role on this team. He's not trying to score goals because he's the Captain, he's trying to score goals because he's done it 134 times. Good luck trying to convince him that he's deviated from his playing style because of his role in the leadership of the team.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 06:06 AM
  #13
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingscourt26 View Post
In the most critical stretch of the season, we have seen Dustin Brown in his shell. He is almost invisible on the ice and his demotion to the 3rd line has exposed the type of player he is without top 6 caliber players supporting him.

I know what you do in the locker room can make you a good captain but when our boys come out in the 3rd period with no motivation and Brown doesn't do anything on the ice to sway the momentum of the game, either physically or offensively, how much is he really benefiting his team?

Management felt the C was some something Brown would grow into but personally I don't think he's the right fit. He's too quite and doesn't seem to impact the momentum of the game in the locker room, on the bench or on the ice.

Your thoughts?
What's he supposed to do? Pick the first opposing player he sees and start throwing down?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 06:07 AM
  #14
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
I can't fathom how stitching a C onto the sweater of either of those players will magically evoke some sort of new abilities that will help the team win. They're both veteran players, and as we've seen with Smyth, Handzus, Scuderi, O'Donnell etc. they're all capable of leading, vocally or through on ice contributions, without the need for superficial titles and are all comfortable doing so without the fear of undermining the guys with the letters. Brown wearing the C reflects the team chemistry, the growth of the team as the youth-core become more experienced/effective players, and the relationship and commitment that Brown has made to the organization and the fans.

Do I believe that the C is dragging Brown's effectiveness down? No. The guys been here for 8 years, he was there when every single member of this team put on a Kings jersey for the first time. I can't imagine how he'd be struggling to figure out his role on this team. He's not trying to score goals because he's the Captain, he's trying to score goals because he's done it 134 times. Good luck trying to convince him that he's deviated from his playing style because of his role in the leadership of the team.
This.

People act like the C is draining his abilities. Really.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:04 AM
  #15
Winger23
Registered User
 
Winger23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,745
vCash: 500
While Brown was pretty invisible last night, it's more to do with his linemates than him. Smyth had a god awful game and killed any time in the zone this line had.

The better question is can the Kings win with Murray system.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:07 AM
  #16
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT
 
Muzzinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,115
vCash: 500
who else would be captain?

Matt Greene would be the only other viable option as far as im concerned, seems like a lateral move though

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:49 AM
  #17
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 19,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
I can't fathom how stitching a C onto the sweater of either of those players will magically evoke some sort of new abilities that will help the team win. They're both veteran players, and as we've seen with Smyth, Handzus, Scuderi, O'Donnell etc. they're all capable of leading, vocally or through on ice contributions, without the need for superficial titles and are all comfortable doing so without the fear of undermining the guys with the letters. Brown wearing the C reflects the team chemistry, the growth of the team as the youth-core become more experienced/effective players, and the relationship and commitment that Brown has made to the organization and the fans.

Do I believe that the C is dragging Brown's effectiveness down? No. The guys been here for 8 years, he was there when every single member of this team put on a Kings jersey for the first time. I can't imagine how he'd be struggling to figure out his role on this team. He's not trying to score goals because he's the Captain, he's trying to score goals because he's done it 134 times. Good luck trying to convince him that he's deviated from his playing style because of his role in the leadership of the team.
Can someone work up an avatar with Dustin Brown's head on Superman with a C instead of the S?

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:55 AM
  #18
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,548
vCash: 500
... Maybe we should just start a sub-forum entitled "Brown Bashing" - where we can put all of these threads about Brown that pop up every time the team is going through a tough phase and certain people are looking for a scapegoat.

Brown isn't the type of player who's going to lead the team in scoring. He's also not the type of player who's going to fight a bunch of guys. He will score some, he will draw penalties, he will hit guys, he will usually play disciplined, and he will set a good example off the ice. Expect more than that, and you're just setting yourself up for frustration. There are many reasons why the Kings are where they are in the standings at this point in the season. To lay all of the inadequacies of the team at the feet of Brown just because he wears the C is over-simplistic and frankly ignorant.

There weren't many candidates for the C when he got chosen, but he's been a fine captain. Was Dave Taylor a ****ty captain because the team struggled? Was Mattias Norstrom a bad captain because of the same reason? Regardless of who happens to have that letter, it's still on the entire team and organization to turn things around right now.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:34 AM
  #19
redcard
Registered User
 
redcard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Can someone work up an avatar with Dustin Brown's head on Superman with a C instead of the S?
Funny....I actually made this a couple years ago


redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:58 AM
  #20
Quattro
Registered User
 
Quattro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 4,301
vCash: 500
<sigh>

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 12:09 PM
  #21
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 19,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
Funny....I actually made this a couple years ago

That is hilariously awesome.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 12:56 PM
  #22
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,849
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I still have zero problems with Brown as the "C" and Kopitar as the "A". This is their team and they will have the biggest impact on the success and failure of the team. Unless Brown asks for the change, there is no reason to change it up.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 01:22 PM
  #23
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
My problem with Brown is that I am used Captains being the toughest most hard working and completely passionate about his team guy on the team.

My favorite recent times Captain and one of my all time favorites is Messier. Now he is a unique individual but his passion and his commitment to his team's winning isn't. There have been other captains like him since he retired.

Maybe my head is too clouded with the over romanticized memories of the great captains past but to me, DB doesn't appear to lead and leave every last best part of him on the ice every night.

I could be wrong but to me that only speaks to how DB isn't what I see makes a captain.

For all I know DB might be the best locker room leader of all time, its not what I hear but beans to that, maybe what I hear is wrong.

I guess I see DB as a great ancillary player and not a go to guy who leads by stellar example.

Its just an opinion and I can easily be wrong but it is what I see.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 01:26 PM
  #24
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan
 
KingPurpleDinosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: irvine, ca
Posts: 2,889
vCash: 500
its really funny how some people want to take the C from Brown and then give it to Mitchell or Williams. If I recall correclty, anytime there's been an open letter, it's gone to Handzus. So those two aren't even secondary leaders to the people in the backroom.

Anywyaas, as Handzus says, not having a letter shouldn't stop a person from being a leader in the locker room. If those gujys are real leaders, than they will do it with or without the C

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 01:30 PM
  #25
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
My favorite recent times Captain and one of my all time favorites is Messier.
... Ask Mark Messier about who influenced him the most about being a captain and a leader and he will tell you it was Wayne Gretzky.

Hardly fits in with your description of the ideal captain, doesn't it?

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.