HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Is NYC more Rangers or Knicks?

Old
03-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
It depends on who is competitive and close to winning a championship or what stars are on the team. Now it's the Knicks with Carmello, Stoudamire, and Billups and a young Fields.

I think the Rangers got some decent press in 06-07 and 07-08 when they had pretty competitive teams and the Knicks got all the wrong press for all the wrong reasons.

A lot of the older fans from pre 1994 who were there since the 60s, 70s, 80s either don't go to as many games anymore, retired, or even passed away and those are the most intense fans.

For sports talk guys who can talk Rangers:
1. Steve Sommers
2. Don LaGreca
3. Joe Beningo (he has a "mainstream" show with Evan so they do a lot more football, baseball, and basketball)

Also, Boomer is a die hard Rangers fan. Goes to many games and has been following the team hard core forever. I'm sure if it were up to just him, he'd talk much more hockey.
Yeah but every time he tries Carton in his stupid annoying voice goes "NOBODY KEAHS!!!" Makes me wanna punch his stupid cueball head.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 10:54 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Yeah but every time he tries Carton in his stupid annoying voice goes "NOBODY KEAHS!!!" Makes me wanna punch his stupid cueball head.
Carton needs to get punched sometimes. I'd love for Boomer to have a hockey discussion.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2011, 11:15 PM
BrooklynBuffaloFan

I was born in Bronxville, lived there till I was 7. My parents moved us to Rochester, but I came back to visit family in White Plains often (at least 2-3 weeks a year until I was in high school). Came back here after college about 5 years ago. I'm 27 now.

The point is that I've seen this area from a bunch of different perspectives over my entire life, and I definitely think the Rangers are more popular than the Knicks. I don't think I met a New York-born/bred Knick fan until I got my most recent job (and this dude loves the Knicks with his heart and soul, no bandwagoner. Rekindling my youth watching Ewing and Starks. But I digress.) People either liked the Rangers or neither cared about basketball nor hockey.

I've worked within 10 blocks of MSG the entire time I've been back here permanently and I've never seen the volume of Knick jerseys on a basketball gamenight that I do Rangers when they're playing. A couple years ago the last time the Rangers and Sabres were both in the playoffs you wouldn't have even known the Knicks existed. Honestly, until the Knicks' surprisingly decent start this year, I think the dominant NBA presences in the town were LeBron and Kobe people would talk about those guys and not even know the Knicks' record.

I think it's a travesty that the sports media in this town neglects hockey. I listened to an interview with Bettman that Francesa did a couple weeks ago and the entire time Francesa was lobbing these backhanded remarks about the game/league that pissed me off. Then, they took calls all about the Isles' ownership and fighting situation that should've proved that hockey is alive and well in this area.

I don't have a problem with MLB and NFL being more popular than hockey in the biggest American city. What I do have a problem with is the inane college FB and BB chatter, when there's little local tie, as opposed to conversations about the Rangers, Isles and Devils. And, like I said, for so long I'd turn on sports radio or pick up a paper and they'd go on and on about Lebron James or Tiger Woods. Who cares to that extent? Do a segment, sure, but we can't talk a little hockey? The fans are obviously out there.

I don't know what can be done short of people just calling WFAN and flooding the switchboards with hockey topics until they just don't have callers. There's also a ton of deserved competition from MLB and NFL to contend with. Nothing's ever going to displace the passion people have around here for the Yankees, Mets, Giants, and Jets. But at a time of year like this, I feel I should be able to turn on the radio other than the half-hour before and after a game broadcast and hear people talking about the teams, considering how many Rangers and Isles jerseys, hoodies and coats I see around here all winter.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

BrooklynBuffaloFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:26 AM
mucker*

Annoying how the media never gives the Rangers any print or respect.
Wasn't this way pre-2005.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 01:12 AM
SoCalFaz

i gotta agree with anyone who says Knicks. As much as i am a Rangers fan its an urban basketball city. no doubt about it. there's more basketball courts to play, more tv coverage and the communities can definitely recognize pro basketball stars over ice hockey stars

SoCalFaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 07:57 AM
nyrmetros

local tv ratings tell all.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 08:24 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
Who do you think is more talk of the town? I wish when I turned on WFAN I would hear them talking some NYR hockey but never going to happen lol. Like when you think of MSG, do you think Knicks or Rangers first?

We all know it goes Yankees,Mets, Giants,Jets then Rangers/Knicks.

Just a random question lol.
Giants are more popular than the Mets and were more popular than the Yanks pre-1996ish.

As far as Knicks Rangers, it is weird. I would say the Knicks have by far more fans, but also have by far more front-running fans. I would say the Rangers have more hardcore fans.

I think the issue is basketball is by far a more popular sport, but NY is a fair weather town. When the Knicks are not good, people stop watching them, but will watch whatever games are on TNT (is bball still on TNT) and other channels.

A guy I work with is a hardcore Knicks fans. Last year, he was able to get tickets on Stubhub for $7/game, $10/game. That would never happen with the Rangers. However, now if you own Knicks tickets and want to scalp them, you can make a pretty penny, even against lousy teams. That would never happen for the Rangers. You can scalp your Pens, Flyers, Isles tickets and make a small profit, if they get to the finals, you can make a big profit. However, you'll be hard pressed to get more than face for a game against Atlanta on a Tuesday in February.

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 08:30 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
While a lot of people do care about Basketball, it seems like there are nowhere near the amount of diehard fans there are in Hockey. Anybody that I talked to that's liked Basketball always likes the big teams such as the Heat, Lakers, etc. It's just now that it seems like the Knicks are gaining steam again after the offseason. Meanwhile I talk to a decent amount of people that are Hockey fans and watch the Rangers though it's nowhere near the level that we follow the team.

While the media doesn't cover it much and it seems like in afterthought in the paper, Hockey and the Rangers are a lot more popular in the city than people give it credit for.
I agree completely.

Old
03-08-2011, 08:54 AM
bkNYR12

I have a friend who interns at WFAN and he tells me that upper management discourages the shows from talking hockey. I ask him why and he tells me that no one cares about hockey.

bkNYR12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkNYR12 View Post
I have a friend who interns at WFAN and he tells me that upper management discourages the shows from talking hockey. I ask him why and he tells me that no one cares about hockey.
No, the truth is the "upper management" doesn't care about hockey. Its just their excuse, as well as ESPN's, for not covering hockey more. When hockey fans get pissed off about mainstream media not covering hockey they just say "its not our fault no one cares about it!"

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Balej20*

I kind of like it that the main stream idiots don't talk about hockey and tarnish it like they do with every other sport. They're all idiots and don't know what they're talking about anyway. What good would it do us to have anyone on WFAN talk about hockey. It would drive us crazy. All we would be doing is cutting down everything they say.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:09 AM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Giants are more popular than the Mets and were more popular than the Yanks pre-1996ish.

As far as Knicks Rangers, it is weird. I would say the Knicks have by far more fans, but also have by far more front-running fans. I would say the Rangers have more hardcore fans.

I think the issue is basketball is by far a more popular sport, but NY is a fair weather town. When the Knicks are not good, people stop watching them, but will watch whatever games are on TNT (is bball still on TNT) and other channels.

A guy I work with is a hardcore Knicks fans. Last year, he was able to get tickets on Stubhub for $7/game, $10/game. That would never happen with the Rangers. However, now if you own Knicks tickets and want to scalp them, you can make a pretty penny, even against lousy teams. That would never happen for the Rangers. You can scalp your Pens, Flyers, Isles tickets and make a small profit, if they get to the finals, you can make a big profit. However, you'll be hard pressed to get more than face for a game against Atlanta on a Tuesday in February.
How could the Knicks have front-running fans when the franchise isn't exactly the Lakers or Celtics?

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:15 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
How could the Knicks have front-running fans when the franchise isn't exactly the Lakers or Celtics?
If you don't think the Knicks popularity exploded with Stat and Carmelo you're nuts. I admit that I didn't watch during the Isiah Thomas years, but these types of people don't even know what Isiah Thomas did to the franchise.

Basketball is a MUCH more bandwagoned sport than Hockey, and all the "Lakers and Celtics" fans in NY are now Knicks "fans."

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Facebook example:

when the Knicks landed Melo, every single person's status was like "OMG KNICKS GOT MELO OMGOMGOMG!"

If the Rangers land Richards this summer, I doubt I'd see anyone make it their status except for 3 or 4 of my friends and my brother who are all hardcore Ranger fans.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:33 AM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
If you don't think the Knicks popularity exploded with Stat and Carmelo you're nuts. I admit that I didn't watch during the Isiah Thomas years, but these types of people don't even know what Isiah Thomas did to the franchise.

Basketball is a MUCH more bandwagoned sport than Hockey, and all the "Lakers and Celtics" fans in NY are now Knicks "fans."
Are you confusing actual Knick fans that didn't go to games (with outrageous ticket prices, who would blame them) when the team was atrocious, as front-runners?
If so that's kind of dumb. All those Knick fans that was in Phillips Arena aren't bandwagon fans. Instead they're transplanted New Yorkers. Even when the Knicks were bad I've seen plenty of Knick fans in that arena. And in other arenas. Like Miami.

Basketball is a bandwagon sport because it's more popular than hockey. If hockey was popular in the U.S, it would be the same.
Also take into account that since basketball is a star driven sport. I think fans just like to wear the popular player's jersey. Kobe, Lebron, Wade. So in essence, those fans become "fans" of that team. Which they may not really be fans of but they root for that popular player.
When Lebron was on the Cavs, there was a ridiculous amount of "Cav fans" at MSG. What I suspected at the time was they weren't really Cav fans but Lebron fans.
Looks like I was right because they were no where to found last Friday at MSG. lol

I also don't see any evidence that Laker and Celtic fans in NY are now Knick fans.
The Knicks haven't won anything. Last I checked, those teams are still good and title contenders. So why would their "fans" become Knick fans now?

Old
03-08-2011, 10:33 AM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
I kind of like it that the main stream idiots don't talk about hockey and tarnish it like they do with every other sport. They're all idiots and don't know what they're talking about anyway. What good would it do us to have anyone on WFAN talk about hockey. It would drive us crazy. All we would be doing is cutting down everything they say.
Bingo.

After we lost that shootout to the Flyers last season I was driving home from work and LaGreca and Kay were talking hockey and taking phone calls. I listened for about 30 seconds and had to change the station. Complete nonsense.

Being a hockey fan in NYC is like being part of a selective, elite cult. When you walk around this city and you see people wearing Yankees or Knicks gear it doesn't mean anything. You see someone wearing Rangers gear and odds are that guy's a diehard just like we are.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:34 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Knicks and it's not close. When it comes to die hards, it's probably fairly close. However, when the Knicks are good or they land a big player (like Melo) then the hype they get outweighs anything that the Rangers would have unless they at the very least made the conference finals.

Plus, basketball is also a much more mainstream sport. You ask people about hockey players, they know Crosby and maybe Ovechkin. If the Rangers landed one of them it'd probably be a big deal. Anyone else and most people are like, who?

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:38 AM
kennglin13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
Bingo.

After we lost that shootout to the Flyers last season I was driving home from work and LaGreca and Kay were talking hockey and taking phone calls. I listened for about 30 seconds and had to change the station. Complete nonsense.
Seeing how LaGreca does play by play for the Rangers when Kenny Albert is out of town, I find that hard to believe. Atleast Kay admits he doesn't know hockey, I love LaGreca and cannot wait til Kay has to walk around the garden in Rangers facepaint.

That being said, when the radios do talk hockey it's only for like two seconds... but lately Beningo has been doing hockey.

kennglin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:40 AM
kennglin13

I love the Rangers and think it's better that the mainstream doesn't mention hockey too often, it makes for much better conversation when I actually do run into a hockey fan

kennglin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:41 AM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennglin13 View Post
Seeing how LaGreca does play by play for the Rangers when Kenny Albert is out of town, I find that hard to believe. Atleast Kay admits he doesn't know hockey, I love LaGreca and cannot wait til Kay has to walk around the garden in Rangers facepaint.

That being said, when the radios do talk hockey it's only for like two seconds... but lately Beningo has been doing hockey.
The nonsense was coming more from the people calling in to talk about hockey than from LaGreca.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:42 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
Bingo.

Being a hockey fan in NYC is like being part of a selective, elite cult. When you walk around this city and you see people wearing Yankees or Knicks gear it doesn't mean anything. You see someone wearing Rangers gear and odds are that guy's a diehard just like we are.
LaGreca is actually one of the better hockey guys. He also hosted NHL Live for a while. It's unfortunate that he's a Devils fan, but he also does Rangers pbp on the radio. For a Devils fan he's very impartial, he's probably the only NY radio guy that I can actually enjoy listen to talk about hockey. Benigno isn't bad either, but he's not all that knowledgeable. Same goes for Boomer. When I hear Boomer talk about the Rangers, he talks more like a fan than an analyst.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:49 AM
MorrisWanchuk

if we were challenging for cups then we'd get some respect/coverage from average fans.

until then, radio shows etc would rather talk st. john's basketball never mind knicks bball

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:56 AM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

To piggy back off my a large part of basketball being popular because fans want to root for the star player etc...

Case in point: The Lakers are far far far far more popular than the Celtics. Am I right?
I mean I don't see nearly, hardly any Celtic fans in the opposing teams arena. Unless it's an arena close to Boston. MSG for ex. but even MSG isn't littered with Celtic fans the way it's littered with Laker fans whenever it's Lakers/Knicks.
When the Lakers are on the road like in Memphis, Texas, Minnesota, Charlotte, New Orleans. Their fans literally take over the building. Can't say the same about the Celtics.

Now why do the Lakers have seemingly so many more fans than the Celtics? Both franchises have won recently and have just about the same number of championships.
Could it be that they have the most popular player in the sport if not one of the top three best?
On the other hand the Celtics don't. Allen is great but he's not Kobe, Pierce is very good but he's not Lebron. Garnett is great but he's not Wade.

My my point? Many NBA fans tend to root for players. So it may seem that teams have bandwagon fans. When in actuality they're rooting for a specific player.
If Kobe was traded right now to the T'wolves, they would become popular not because they have great jersey's or they play in a nice city, it would be because of Kobe Bryant. You would have many "fans" buying number 8 T'wolves jersey's.

I know the Knicks will have a bandwagon fans when the Staples Center, Memphis, Oklahoma City, Houston, Chicago, is filled with Knick fans.
But I don't expect that because while the Knicks have 2 top 15 players, they don't have the most popular player on their team.

Old
03-08-2011, 11:33 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
You do not have to be a dynasty to get front-runners. When they are good, they are the hottest ticket in town. When they are bad, most abandon them and start to watch the better teams. Then, they get some better players and everyone is back to loving the Knicks. It is the definition of band-wagon.

Old
03-08-2011, 11:45 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
The rangers championship parade drew the biggest crowd in the history of sports parades in ny. Enough said.
First off, not sure that is true. Secondly if it is, that was 54 years of waiting. If the Jets ever win a Super Bowl, their parade would blow away any of the previous parades. Wouldn't mean they were more popular than the Giants or Yankees.