HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time for Michael Leighton 2.0?

Old
03-08-2011, 08:30 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

vCash: 500
Time for Michael Leighton 2.0?

You knew this thread was coming.

Is it time to put leighton through reentry and see if the team magically plays better in front of him like they did last year?

I don't know if I necessarily think we should go with this notion, but can it hurt right now?

He has a 2.40 GAA a .919 SV% and 2 shutouts on an awful, awful team up there.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 08:32 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
You knew this thread was coming.

Is it time to put leighton through reentry and see if the team magically plays better in front of him like they did last year?

I don't know if I necessarily think we should go with this notion, but can it hurt right now?
Yes it can hurt because he could very well be claimed at ~750k and we'd be stuck with that dead cap space next year. (The Rangers could really use a backup.)

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Hell no. Michael leighton should be no where near this team at the moment. It's not the goaltenders fault the team infront of them is playing like ****.

I've seen Bob and Boosh left out to dry around 30 times in the last 3-4 games. While they have let up soft goals, they have also made some spectacular saves.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 08:37 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Hell no. Michael leighton should be no where near this team at the moment. It's not the goaltenders fault the team infront of them is playing like ****.

I've seen Bob and Boosh left out to dry around 30 times in the last 3-4 games. While they have let up soft goals, they have also made some spectacular saves.
You're missing the point. In no way, shape or form am I claiming bob or bouch to be responsible for the losing streak, all though neither of them have looked anything more than average. Yes the defense has played AWFUL, but so has everybody, Goaltenders included.

Sometimes a change in a position like in goal, a team will change it's attitude and it's play, we saw it happen last season.

Old
03-08-2011, 08:41 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
You're missing the point. In no way, shape or form am I claiming bob or bouch to be responsible for the losing streak, all though neither of them have looked anything more than average. Yes the defense has played AWFUL, but so has everybody, Goaltenders included.

Sometimes a change in a position like in goal, a team will change it's attitude and it's play, we saw it happen last season.
But the reward is absolutely minimal...

You can push a button...you will either get a cookie or get kicked in the nuts. Are you going to push the button? I'm not. I don't need the cookie. I'm totally cool with my current snacks.

Old
03-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post

Agreed. Bob played very well against Toronto and Buffalo. It's not easy to fault him on any of the goals. Hartnell coughs one up the middle to McArthur whose shot hit Kulemin. Richards cheats on the draw with 10 secs left and 4 on 4. He gets beat and Pronger leaves the front of the net wide open for Phaneuf. Then O'D got out of position, but neither Briere nor Meszaros sealed off the front of the net for Boyce's GWG. I don't see how we lost that game because of goaltending. Same in Buffalo. Bob made several great saves, but was left high and dry on the goals.

Watched the first period of the Ranger game finally last night. (Saw part of the 2nd live, but turned it off to watch the Blue Jays Ex-game instead).

Giroux didn't tie up Callahan in the slot for the first goal, then, after a really awful penalty call on Richards, Pronger left Callahan standing in front of the net. Boucher had gone down, expecting a bang-bang play in front, like the first goal. He probably should have been standing up, but Pronger was so far out of position that Callahan would've had time to make a move for the far post had Boosh stayed on his feet.

The team has not been losing because of bad goaltending. They've just not had the attention to detail they need. They will get it back.

Forget Leighton unless one of them gets hurt (knock wood), then they can recall him as a emergency callup and avoid the recall waivers.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 08:45 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post

You can push a button...you will either get a cookie or get kicked in the nuts. Are you going to push the button? I'm not. I don't need the cookie. I'm totally cool with my current snacks.
This is what I'm thinking at the moment. We need THIS team as is to work through their issues. But how about, say, if this garbage play continues for another few games. I cant see them not calling him up in that situation.

Old
03-08-2011, 08:46 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
This is what I'm thinking at the moment. We need THIS team as is to work through their issues. But how about, say, if this garbage play continues for another few games. I cant see them not calling him up in that situation.
But it doesn't make ANY sense. You're taking on unnecessary risk (re-entry waivers) for ZERO upgrade.

Old
03-08-2011, 08:51 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
But it doesn't make ANY sense. You're taking on unnecessary risk (re-entry waivers) for ZERO upgrade.
I understand that it's an unnecessary risk Fo no upgrade on paper. What I'm suggesting is that the team, for one reason or another, played much better in front of him last season when he was brought in. Again, I'm not suggesting in any way that leighton is an upgrade to bob or bouch and I never stated that I even thought they should go this direction

All I am asking is if anyone thinks there is any chance that homer hits the panic button and tries another leighton experiment

Old
03-08-2011, 08:52 AM
MiD

short answer - nope
long answer - hell no!!

MiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 08:55 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

If the Flyers want to win the Cup, they need to fix the current problem with the current team that could win them that Cup rather than bring in a goalie to shake things up. There's no sense in doing this, too high risk and a risk of Cap Space if they decide to explore potential FA options before the playoffs. Especially with what we've seen from Bob and Bouch, there's no reason to punish them for a slump where the whole team is having issues after they've had a strong season. It's a slump, they'll get over it.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 09:14 AM
dats81

Leights might steal a game, just because he is big enough to fully cover the net against weak opponents, and the whole team may play better and go on a hot streak.

At the same time this may mean more distraction in the locker room and a questionable message sent to Boosh and Bob. Last but not least Leighton may be claimed by some other team.

Right now this is not an option imho. But if they can't find a way to win a game this week, there is not much else left they can try...

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 09:26 AM
infidelappel*

God no.

Leighton will most likely get snatched on reentry waivers. Several teams could use a decent backup for 750k and wouldn't mind picking him up, and we can't afford to burn 750k of dead space.

Plus, Leighton sucks.

So the answer is no, no, no, and more no.

And also, no.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 09:31 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
The whole team seemed to play a better team game when Leighton was in there over Boosh last season, but I think Leighton would get claimed if put on re entry waivers

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

What kind of cookie and can I wear a goalie cup?

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Cartsiephan*

Do you still want him??

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:18 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
What kind of cookie and can I wear a goalie cup?
Chocolate chip, no. You are risking a full-on sackshot.

Old
03-08-2011, 10:19 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Do you still want him??

Well, considering i never said I wanted him in the first place... This post doesn't really change much.

Old
03-08-2011, 10:22 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Well, considering i never said I wanted him in the first place... This post doesn't really change much.
Either you do want him, or you're trying really hard to play devil's advocate in a situation where it makes little sense.

Let's just put it this way: it better not happen.

Old
03-08-2011, 10:28 AM
zarley zelepukin

Nope.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Jester

Awesome.

They're holding the no. 1 seed in the Conference, we hit a rough patch... and:

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:37 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:

That made me laugh. Classic

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:43 AM
phillyfanatic

I am a big Leighton fan, but the decision has been made and there is no turning back now. If Leighton is called up, it is a STUPID decision, and Homer hasn't made that mistake since Randy Jones. Leighton WILL get claimed for $750,000 and that likely means no Leino next year.

We stuck with Bob/Boucher and I am perfectly fine with that. I think it was the right decision at the trade deadline. If we don't win it all and the reason is the goalies, then we will let Boucher go this offseason and take a run at Vokoun. But, that means this team has to change.....he isn't coming for 1.5M.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:33 AM
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft

vCash: 50
NO. Please just stop. He is a horrible ****ing goalie. He belongs in the AHL. The guy had one good streak his entire NHL career. take that out and hes a below average ****** goalie.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:45 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
And, this is why I hate everything, like all of you guys.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote