Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

THN's Future Watch 2011

Old
03-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Body Checker

vCash: 500
THN's Future Watch 2011

It's not out yet but they published Cgy's (and Ott/Tor's) in the Feb. 21st issue.

* Calgary's system is rated 27th

* In the Top 75 prospects, Tim Erixon is 15th and TJ Brodie 69th. I didn't know Erixon is that highly rated by scouts. Rated higher than Rundblad, Cowen and Aulie.

* Also to note is Ottawa's system is 16th but I think our Top 10 aligns very nicely with theirs. So to me the gap from 15th to 30th is not that large.

TOP 10:

1. Erixon
2. Brodie
3. Nemisz
4. Howse
5. Irving
6. Bouma
7. Ramage
8. Wahl
9. Ortio
10. Pelech

My only issue is Pelech. He was drafted almost 6 years ago and was on waivers this year. Max Reinhart I think should be ahead of him. Maybe even Negrin, Leach, Breen or Bill Arnold. I think the prestige of being a "1st rounder" over hypes some of these guys.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 10:52 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
It remains to he seen though how much of an impact Leland Irving will really have in the future. I hope the guy lives up to the hype he had when the flames drafted him. Was thought to be the future solid number 1.
Also surprised me how far up the list Ramage is, don't know a lot about him. Could he turn out to be a steal?

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 11:42 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
I was watching TSN on deadline day and Maguire was talking about Ortio and about how good this kid good this is. I've always been pretty big on him as well, he is still pretty rough and needs to work on his game but I have a feeling that if the Flames resign the Calgary Tower next year, I think Ortio may be the dark horse to steal the backup job the year after that to beat out Irving. Regardless who it is, it is a good problem to have.

Calgary's prospects only rank so low because we do not have that sexy bluechip forward prospects for the scouts to rave about. We do have Howse, but he still needs mature physically quite a bit before he can think about turning pro. Hopefully this draft the Flames can get a steal of a player. I hope they take a risk on a highly skilled offensive prospect who may or may not be a bust with their first pick and then take the somewhat safer picks in the later rounds. I think we need to swing for the fences and hope it works out for the best.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 11:49 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I hope they take a risk on a highly skilled offensive prospect who may or may not be a bust with their first pick and then take the somewhat safer picks in the later rounds. I think we need to swing for the fences and hope it works out for the best.
Agreed. Kinda surprised that Erixon was ranked so high as well. I wonder what Sens fans would say.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 01:41 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
Agreed. Kinda surprised that Erixon was ranked so high as well. I wonder what Sens fans would say.
there all crying because hes ranked above rundblad..

overall i agree with the rankings although i would rather reinhart be in there over pelech

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:20 PM
tfong

Ramage really was impressive in wjc which may have raised his ranking quite a bit.

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2011, 10:22 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Ramage really was impressive in wjc which may have raised his ranking quite a bit.
I personally didnt notice him too much, seemed solid tho. Erixon looked like one of the best dmen of the tourny IMO..

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 12:14 AM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
I personally didnt notice him too much, seemed solid tho. Erixon looked like one of the best dmen of the tourny IMO..
I think he was great. Buzzing around and being part of the play most of the time. Doesn't have high end skill but hes got an extra gear to his game. Of course thats only what I've seen at WJC though.

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
* Also to note is Ottawa's system is 16th but I think our Top 10 aligns very nicely with theirs. So to me the gap from 15th to 30th is not that large.
Ottawa's top ten prospect depth has more high end than ours does, not to mention better depth 5-10.

Flames Fanatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
It's not out yet but they published Cgy's (and Ott/Tor's) in the Feb. 21st issue.

* Calgary's system is rated 27th

* In the Top 75 prospects, Tim Erixon is 15th and TJ Brodie 69th. I didn't know Erixon is that highly rated by scouts. Rated higher than Rundblad, Cowen and Aulie.

THN's overall system ranking also includes NHL players who are 21 and younger. Ottawa probably gets a bit of a bump due to Erik Karlsson.

It's a fun issue to read every year, but like most lists its prone to overhyping the latest and greatest. If you can find the ~2001 issue, Edmonton and Detroit's profiles are on the same page. THN had Edmonton with a top 5 system and Detroit in the bottom 5. The Oilers had surefire NHLers like Alexei Semenov, Jani Rita, and Michael Henrich. The Wings only had Nik Kronwall and some random European guys named Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 03:23 PM
Signature
PEEP PEEP PARTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
THN's overall system ranking also includes NHL players who are 21 and younger. Ottawa probably gets a bit of a bump due to Erik Karlsson.

It's a fun issue to read every year, but like most lists its prone to overhyping the latest and greatest. If you can find the ~2001 issue, Edmonton and Detroit's profiles are on the same page. THN had Edmonton with a top 5 system and Detroit in the bottom 5. The Oilers had surefire NHLers like Alexei Semenov, Jani Rita, and Michael Henrich. The Wings only had Nik Kronwall and some random European guys named Zetterberg and Datsyuk.
Good hockey names but it's too bad they never cracked the lineup... that Hugh Jessiman guy though, definitely has been ripping up the league's records since his draft day.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 03:56 PM
TheDoctor10
Bigger on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Conroy View Post
Good hockey names but it's too bad they never cracked the lineup... that Hugh Jessiman guy though, definitely has been ripping up the league's records since his draft day.
The don't call him 'the Specimen' because it rhymes with his name

TheDoctor10 is offline   Reply With Quote