HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Draft Trade Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2005, 03:38 PM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed blue 94
that will get into the 7-10 picks...and as you said we are lacking top end talent...the first 6 picks is where you can get that in this draft
There is top-end talent after the first 6 picks.

Old
07-26-2005, 04:28 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
you guys have to be kidding me. the rangers have an absolute ton of 3/4 line guys, and a decent amount of potential 2nd line guys, but have nothing even representing a 1st line player in the system. this is the one main thing we have been missing for years. everyone needs to let go of this infatuation with balej, hes not a top line player, hes just another 2nd liner in the system. with those 2nd round picks we will get basically the same thing we go last year. if we were presented with an opportunity to trade up into that top 6 we should be doing cartwheels bc thats the strength of this draft. you can get a potential franchise player with any of the top 6 picks. the rangers have a glaring need especially for a top flight center and if we could we should move up and take kopitar. like i said weve already gotten enough of these bubble type players, its time to get an impact player and if all it costs you is a second liner and 2 2nd rounders...then thank the gods.
I'm not saying we haven't been missing it, but I wouldn't want to give up 4 solid prospects just to get a potential top line player. What even makes you think we will get a franchise guy anyway? Are you telling me that if we get into the top 6 we are 100% guaranteed to draft a franchise #1 center? There are plenty of busts at the top of the draft.

I'm also not saying that Balej is great, or anything more than a decent top 6 forward...but if we are trading him away to get another top 6 forward, how much improvement are we really making? Why give up 3 prospects, one being a first round pick, just to potentially get a better player than Balej...when Balej is a top 6 forward anyway.

Don't you remember the last time the Rangers made a trade to get into the top 6 to draft a potential franchise player? Is that franchise player even playing in the NHL anymore?

Quote:
also your comment that we should just draft this year and then sign a franchise plaer next year is just wrong. the rangers are rebuilding...that means developing your own players including superstars.that is why we need to move up and get a guy like kopitar.

and what makes you think a franchise player will want to come to the rangers next year? is it our winning tradition? all the extra money we can offer them? right now ny is not that attractive a place for player to sign....it never was, bc we generally were not a good team....why do you think we always had to overpay to get guys to sign?
I never made that comment, not sure if you are talking to me here.

Old
07-26-2005, 04:29 PM
Sicilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
There is top-end talent after the first 6 picks.
and aside from crosby, i don't see anyone else in the top 6 who couldn't easily be a bust.

keep your picks unless you can pull off a steal or move up a couple spots to get a player you really like. depth doesn't just mean depth, it means a higher chance that one of these "3rd/4th liners" will surprise and turn into a top 6 talent.

Old
07-26-2005, 07:59 PM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting
I'm not saying we haven't been missing it, but I wouldn't want to give up 4 solid prospects just to get a potential top line player. What even makes you think we will get a franchise guy anyway? Are you telling me that if we get into the top 6 we are 100% guaranteed to draft a franchise #1 center? There are plenty of busts at the top of the draft.

I'm also not saying that Balej is great, or anything more than a decent top 6 forward...but if we are trading him away to get another top 6 forward, how much improvement are we really making? Why give up 3 prospects, one being a first round pick, just to potentially get a better player than Balej...when Balej is a top 6 forward anyway.

Don't you remember the last time the Rangers made a trade to get into the top 6 to draft a potential franchise player? Is that franchise player even playing in the NHL anymore?

I never made that comment, not sure if you are talking to me here.

no that second part was not directed to you...someone else said that....and yes you are correct anyone of those 6 could bust...including crosbey...however it is myuch less likely and their ceilings as far as potential are in my opinon are much higher then what you can get at 16....i say we take a chance and make a move....if we didnt have the depth of 3rd lines we have i would not suggest this...but i am making this opinon based on the thought that the guys we most likely will get with the second rounders will not be top end talent (if they are great)....and i wouldnt be too upset to see balej go......i know the last time we took a major chance it came back and snake bit us (brendl 1999)...but i think we should go for it

another part of my thinking is also that since there are more then the usual 2 or 3 tams that are in position to take top end talent (most drafts have 2 or 3 top end guys) this draft also presents us with some more options in the sense of trading....bc you are not stuck trying to work a deal out with one team, and instead we hopefully could have a few options

and as luck would have it there is now an article published that states that anheim is shopping their 2nd overall pick
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=131498

Old
07-26-2005, 10:51 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
no that second part was not directed to you...someone else said that....and yes you are correct anyone of those 6 could bust...including crosbey...however it is myuch less likely and their ceilings as far as potential are in my opinon are much higher then what you can get at 16....i say we take a chance and make a move....if we didnt have the depth of 3rd lines we have i would not suggest this...but i am making this opinon based on the thought that the guys we most likely will get with the second rounders will not be top end talent (if they are great)....and i wouldnt be too upset to see balej go......i know the last time we took a major chance it came back and snake bit us (brendl 1999)...but i think we should go for it

another part of my thinking is also that since there are more then the usual 2 or 3 tams that are in position to take top end talent (most drafts have 2 or 3 top end guys) this draft also presents us with some more options in the sense of trading....bc you are not stuck trying to work a deal out with one team, and instead we hopefully could have a few options

and as luck would have it there is now an article published that states that anheim is shopping their 2nd overall pick
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=131498
I'd consider it for the 2nd overall pick, but only if the team liked Johnson and was going to take him. After that you are better giving up much less and trading up to 8th or something. But, if I'm trading up to any lower than 2nd, I wouldn't trade Balej, a mid-1st round pick and 2 2nd rounders.

Old
07-26-2005, 11:00 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
Would you do it?
No, too much.

Old
07-27-2005, 07:20 PM
NYC Aim 4588

vCash: