HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

VIDEO: Kings Feed of Disputed Sedin Goal

Old
03-07-2011, 09:56 AM
IComeInPeace

vCash: 500
For the record, the headline in the LA Times stats:
"There's No Call For This" (referencing the 2 supposed penalties on the same goal)

I just saw the goal for the first time a few minutes ago when I opened this thread. Wow, if you are whining about that, you're in big trouble.

The Kings announcers are initially completely oblivious to any non-call, and even when they see the Kings complaining (and the replay) they see nothing that warrants a penalty or the goal being called back.

Refs make mistakes, and sometimes it costs you a goal. That stinks, but this was not the case here. Both Doughty and Quick should have played that much better and should be mad only at themselves.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Apu
Ex-pat in Oiler Land

Imagine if the Pittsburgh announcers did the play-by-play... "No penalty? BLASPHEMY!"
Props to the Kings' counterparts in making the right call.

Apu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 02:01 PM
ItWasTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apu View Post
Imagine if the Pittsburgh announcers did the play-by-play... "No penalty? BLASPHEMY!"
Props to the Kings' counterparts in making the right call.
Pittsburgh is probably on my top 3 of most hated NHL clubs - and a huge reason for that are their announcers. I had the joy of having to watch their feed on game center, and when Neil played his first game for them you barely heard anything about the game, instead you heard about how great of a player Neil is and "oh did you see that move?" and "oh what a player he is!"

Little did I know the same would be happening a few days later when Kovalev arrived.

Wow they make me angry.

But to stay ontopic here - was Doughty called for a dive before or after the goal? Refs aren't stupid, they'll remember stuff even if it's from previous games, and if you're known to dive, you'll end up not getting some of the calls (not like this one was anywhere near borderline). Similar to Avery and Cooke getting called way more easily/not getting calls for them as much when being hit hard.

ItWasTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 04:05 PM
GTHP95

good goal end of story!

GTHP95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Hyack57

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTHP95 View Post
good goal end of story!
I was watching the Ducks feed last night - thanks to HotSpotShield and Yahoo! Sports - and I swear there is no such thing as play-by-play in US broadcasting of hockey games. During play you get mindless banter back and forth between the two guys calling the game and only when a replay happens - for a goal, save, hit, etc - do they do any sort of actual play-by-play.

Hyack57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Daoust
chip?

Yeah, that's the football/baseball influence on their broadcasting style. Nicely reflects a big problem with the American market. Much of the media down there just don't understand how the product should be packaged.

Daoust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 07:45 PM
dangerous dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyack57 View Post
I was watching the Ducks feed last night - thanks to HotSpotShield and Yahoo! Sports - and I swear there is no such thing as play-by-play in US broadcasting of hockey games. During play you get mindless banter back and forth between the two guys calling the game and only when a replay happens - for a goal, save, hit, etc - do they do any sort of actual play-by-play.
Yeah I noticed this too, but to be honest it doesn't bother me much. I think play by play is mostly redundant because my eyes are plenty capable of internalizing what's going on in the game. The broadcasters should enrich the game with analysis and information, I don't need them to state the obvious

dangerous dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Jarko2004

Yeah play-by-play does nothing for me since I'm not blind and know the numbers. I watch sports on mute. Sportsnet appears to be 70% in-program advertising anyway, and 30% hockey.

Bob Cole cured me of listening to broadcasters 15 years ago.

Jarko2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Win One Before I Die
Former Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to Win One Before I Die
I honestly forgot this happened.

FFS its hockey, not basketball, if you fall down from a slight push, while happening to be in the NHL, you are probably diving

Win One Before I Die is offline   Reply With Quote