HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My opinion on discipline and sanctions

Old
03-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Peace

vCash: 500
My opinion on discipline and sanctions

Hi everyone,

Im tired, really tired to see "accidents" in the NHL. It seems everyone knows there IS a problem but nobody has the guts to implement a SEVERE and WORKING plan regarding injuries.

I could make you a really long post stating all the injuries of the last decades and the fact that respect is gone from the game as it is now. Instead, I will post what Kerry Fraser himself said about how the league is slowly getting out of control. (sorry Its in french)

(CKAC Sports) - Kerry Fraser, qui a été arbitre dans la LNH de 1973 à 2010, n'est pas impressionné du tout par les nouveaux règlements implantés par la Ligue nationale dans le but d'éliminer les coups à la tête. Selon Fraser, si la Ligue était vraiment sérieuse, tout coup porté intentionnellement à la tête serait sévèrement puni.
« Nous aurions eu besoin d'un changement dramatique, car les joueurs sont blessés de façon sérieuse et en fin de compte, notre objectif doit demeurer de protéger les joueurs. J'ai vu au cours des années, le respect entre les joueurs tranquillement disparaître sur la glace. Même lors des années '70 où le jeu était plus rude, il y avait du respect. Lorsqu'un joueur était placé dans une position vulnérable, les joueurs choisissaient délibérément de frapper l'adversaire ailleurs qu'à la tête. On se servait de la mise en échec pour séparer le joueur de la rondelle. Bob Gainey était un des meilleurs dans cet aspect du jeu. Aujourd'hui, le but est de séparer la tête du corps de l'adversaire. Plus le temps passe et plus cette notion est devenue acceptée, mais le hockey ce n'est pas ça. Ça n'a aucun sens. Il faut absolument changer la culture du hockey. »

My solution to this problem is simple and is aimed at bringing a new "perspective" from people who know hockey and how the players act on the ice. How they acted when there was actually respect between players,coaches and referees...For me it is simple, Colin Campbell has to go. Its a joke how biased and protective the league has become towards its stars and how they have double standards.

Solution is simple, name Scotty Bowman, Mario Lemieux and Kerry Fraser at the head of the NHL discipline staff. A coach, who played when there was respect and wasnt afraid to get into his players' heads. Bowman knows how hockey players think. Mario Lemieux because he knows the risk of being a player, he was often targeted by opposing team's players. Kerry Fraser because he's been in the league for such a long time and, like him or not, was respected by all the players throughout the league.

This council of 3 would be my ideal for a sane and actually working system.

Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:11 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
I propose that fans write to the NHL head office that they won't be accepting this type of behaviour anymore. The League's unwillingness to deter these types of vicious hits is tantamount to aiding and abetting this type of criminal behaviour. As a result of the NHL's stance, or lack thereof on these hits, fans should unsubscribe from NHL Centre Ice TV packages and the like and inform the NHL as to why they're unsubscribing. Maybe when they see a dip in their revenues they will understand that something needs to be done.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

I'll all say is this: how can a father of a current NHL player be in charge of discipline? On a moral and ethical level, it's simply unacceptable. If Gregory Campbell was the one putting Paccioretty into the stancion, how could Campbell deal with this with any integrity? Wouldn't it be like a someone convicted of a crime going to trial and having his father as the judge? Wouldn't you think they would change the judge if that was the case? The only way to fix the NHL is to get rid of Colin Campbell. As long as he's in charge, nothing will change. It's as simple as that.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 01:13 AM
FF de Mars

Fire the NBA guy and replace him with an NFL guy.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 02:37 AM
OneSharpMarble

No it needs to be lead by a group of people who have zero affiliation with the nhl. That way every player is treated in the same manner, no bias.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 02:41 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
I'll all say is this: how can a father of a current NHL player be in charge of discipline? On a moral and ethical level, it's simply unacceptable. If Gregory Campbell was the one putting Paccioretty into the stancion, how could Campbell deal with this with any integrity? Wouldn't it be like a someone convicted of a crime going to trial and having his father as the judge? Wouldn't you think they would change the judge if that was the case? The only way to fix the NHL is to get rid of Colin Campbell. As long as he's in charge, nothing will change. It's as simple as that.
Campbell is not allowed to rule on games involving his son

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 03:03 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
They knew what they were getting into...I say, let 'em crash!

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:21 AM
Mr. Hab

Why the **** is Colin Campbell in charge anyway? Isn't he a former NHL criminal/goon/delinquent? (the kind of player who relied on violence and dirty hits 'cause he couldn't actually play hockey).

They should have a pannel of voters (10 to 20) who decide how many games to serve for suspensions. And no ****ing 2 to 5 games' b.s. Real, severe suspensions. The kind that makes any NHL player think twice.

To prove no bias...I would have given a more severe suspension to Mike Cammalleri when he swung his stick at Isles' player Nino Niederreter (in pre-season game). Nino wasn't seriously hurt, and good, but this should have nothing to do with the length of the suspension. The message the NHL should want: you can't get away with anything no matter what your name is.
Mike Cammalleri doesn't have a dirty reputation, but still...he did what he did and got away with, what? 1-2 games? this was a joke. 2nd time he gets caught with something dirty like that...30 games,etc...anything to make sure players think twice before hitting from behind, going for the head, swinging their stick,etc...

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:46 AM
rotoc

My solution: Suspend the player who injured the other player as long as the injured player is out.

That would be a great solution!

What do you guys think ?

rotoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:49 AM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
I propose that fans write to the NHL head office that they won't be accepting this type of behaviour anymore. The League's unwillingness to deter these types of vicious hits is tantamount to aiding and abetting this type of criminal behaviour. As a result of the NHL's stance, or lack thereof on these hits, fans should unsubscribe from NHL Centre Ice TV packages and the like and inform the NHL as to why they're unsubscribing. Maybe when they see a dip in their revenues they will understand that something needs to be done.
I vote for that! let's get the league email address and spam them

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 06:26 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotoc View Post
My solution: Suspend the player who injured the other player as long as the injured player is out.

That would be a great solution!

What do you guys think ?
That wouldn't work because the act should be punishable, not the result. What would you do in your system if player A skates up to player B, punches him in the face randomly, but player B being say Gorges return after getting stitches or something... Don't you thing player A should get a suspension in this case?

My opinion: get a panel of 3 people, ex-players, coaches, refs, whatever, and get them to decide what the punishment should be.

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 07:34 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

The problem has always been the same, they only punish based on what is in the rule book. The rule book should be only some sort of advisor for the discipline guy in the NHL and the guy in charge should mainly use his judgement to give a decision, basing it on the severity of what just happened. Remember Campbell did not punish Matt Cooke at all for the hit on David Boot. He gave him nothing, absolutly nothing because it wasn't in the rule book. They had to pass a new law to be able to punish it. Instead of using their common decency and act.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 07:40 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Players today feel more free to take liberties with the top players in game with little or no fear of retaliation. Anybody around the Canadiens pre-John Ferguson will remember these types of plays on our top players. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Things like the Chara cheap shot is how goons came about being in the NHL. They serve a purpose, Enforcers got that name and played their role for a reason. Nobody dared to run Gretzky with Sememko breathing down their neck.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:07 AM
noway

1. Get rid of Gary Bettman
2. Get rid of Colin Campbell
3. Get rid of the instigator rule
4. Put a cap on the number of Europeans each team is allowed to draft/sign and return to a North American game
5. Increase roster size by 2 players
6. Enable no-touch icing
7. Decrease number of games
8. Inspect all facilities for injury hazards ASAP.
9. If you are getting pushed around, get a tougher roster and quit whining, unless you are prepared to whine to your GM about having too many wussies
10. Consider whether you as a fan are part of the reason why the game has gone the way it has over the last 30 years

noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Kebekoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
4. Put a cap on the number of Europeans each team is allowed to draft/sign and return to a North American game
6. Enable no-touch icing
9. If you are getting pushed around, get a tougher roster and quit whining, unless you are prepared to whine to your GM about having too many wussies
10. Consider whether you as a fan are part of the reason why the game has gone the way it has over the last 30 years
Hi Don, how you're doing today?

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:12 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
6. Enable no-touch icing
hahaha European players cap

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:12 AM
Bullsmith

What the hell is the story with Colin Campbell. If he can't do his job, he should resign. Recusing himself while his son's team turns into a marauding goon squad is unacceptable. The NHL is a ****ing joke right now.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Campbell is not allowed to rule on games involving his son
Right, so his secretary does it instead. And the facts are pretty clear- Campell's kid pounds on a guy who's down and gets no sanction. Claude Julien sends goons out to start fights in the final minute and doesn't get fined. Bruins go down 4-0 and Chara drives a rookie's face into a stanchion from behind. Without a doubt he'll be skating next time the Bruins face the habs, free to injure the next person. Will Pax be?

The Bruins are out of control, and Colin Campbell's recusing himself is a blatant part of the problem.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:51 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Chara did executed what Julinetold him...
I can not blame him...

So we go...
Cool going to go tell somebody to kill you and then hopefully they won't take the blame because I told them to do it.

Can you not see how flawed that logic is right from the get go?

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:56 AM
neofury*

Quote:
3. Get rid of the instigator rule (Only agree if it's changed, for example no glove drop = instigator, both players drop = no instigator)
6. Enable no-touch icing
Agreed and disagreed.

Somewhat agree.

Seriously though some of the bolded ones are really jokes. Because I like seeing big hits and fights, I'm supposed to be to blame? If anything quite the opposite imo, maybe had Cherry not been brainwashing people of my generation with his videos since a young age and his antics, I wouldn't be enjoying/seeking fights/big hits in this sport. He glorified it as did many others in the sport. So yeah maybe for being manipulated by the media and NHL I guess we are somewhat to blame, but it all stems from them in the first place.

Old
03-09-2011, 09:18 AM
bipolarhabfan

There should be a non-biased and non-partial person devoted to suspensions.

As well, there needs to be longer suspensions, of the 40 to 50 game variety for this stuff to stop happening. You cannot have a player like Crosby out because of a goon who goes head hunting.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Habbadasher

NHL suspensions are not long enough, and should take into account the length of the injury. It is not right to see player A injure player B, but A gets suspended for 3 games while B is out for two months.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 09:58 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Re-engineer. Seriously, hockey wasn't designed with glass above the boards. I know time marches on, but using a device simply because it is extant and economical is unwise in sport. The NHL is poorly run, though. Really, it always has been, this is part of the culture.

Baseball didn't allow aluminum bats just because they became commonplace. It diluted the game too much and made the infield dangerous. Hockey can't wait to embrace any little technical advancement, not understanding how it has affected the game overall, or not caring.

As poorly run as hockey has been they responded quickly when a young fan lost her life after being hit by a puck. They reacted out of fear. Fear that they would lose fans and thier money.

Boycott the next Bruins game in Montreal. Then the league will notice.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Bryson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
NHL suspensions are not long enough, and should take into account the length of the injury. It is not right to see player A injure player B, but A gets suspended for 3 games while B is out for two months.
Agreed 100%. THIS IS SO IMPORTANT. This simple fact would cut down cheap shots in the NHL by 80%!! I mean how many players would actually be willing to intentionally injure another player if they knew they would be facing a suspension the length of the players recovery time at the MINIMUM.

Matt Cooke wants to end a player's career/season? Sure no problem but you only get to do it once instead of getting suspended a couple of games and coming back to do it time and time again.

Bryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 10:57 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Agreed 100%. THIS IS SO IMPORTANT. This simple fact would cut down cheap shots in the NHL by 80%!! I mean how many players would actually be willing to intentionally injure another player if they knew they would be facing a suspension the length of the players recovery time at the MINIMUM.

Matt Cooke wants to end a player's career/season? Sure no problem but you only get to do it once instead of getting suspended a couple of games and coming back to do it time and time again.
1) Eye for an Eye
2) Cap hit still counts 100%
3) Player doesn't get paid during the time

Plain and simple, it would cut down on it by like 95%

That and guys like Cooke would be out of a job.