HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What happens now? (UPDATE: Benny takes Max's spot)

Old
03-09-2011, 07:40 AM
Coldplay
Courage

vCash: 500
What happens now? (UPDATE: Benny takes Max's spot)

Amid all the discussion in the post-game thread and the "get well" thread, I think it would be good to have a serious look at what happens now that Max is out, assuming he is out long term.

Eller and Kostitsyn cannot be separated, that much is obvious. Which leaves us with the only other viable option: Benoit Pouliot. Looking at the bright side, Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta has had some nice chemistry in the past, and Benny has been itching for that bigger role.

This is his time to shine. He knows it, we know it, unless a guy like Pyatt gets shoved on that line, which would be terrible. Hopefully Darche isn't out too much longer, because he can slot in nicely on Pouliot's line with Desharnais.

So:

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Cammalleri-Plekanec-Halpern
Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn
Pyatt-Desharnais-White

Conceivably, Halpern needs to move off the top 6, eventually. We're winning now, and all is dandy, but we can't expect that to be a long-term solution. But that makes it tougher now, unless you want to break up some other lines (i.e. Eller's) that are working (which we shouldn't, and hopefully Jacques won't). If Max comes back sooner than expected, we can breathe, but if Eller/Kostitsyn isn't going anywhere anytime soon, Pouliot might have to move to the RW, unless you guys want Halpern to stick in the top 6 for the rest of the year.

Thoughts on this?

PS - Obviously, we all hope Max is well, and I'm not trying to be insensitive with this thread, as we'll still need to keep pushing forward, with or without him.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 07:43 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I guess there isn't much options, you can't really touch the Eller and Plekanec line so it's going to have to be a Halpern or Pouliot that gets back up there on the line with Gio and Gomez

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 07:45 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Amid all the discussion in the post-game thread and the "get well" thread, I think it would be good to have a serious look at what happens now that Max is out, assuming he is out long term.

Eller and Kostitsyn cannot be separated, that much is obvious. Which leaves us with the only other viable option: Benoit Pouliot. Looking at the bright side, Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta has had some nice chemistry in the past, and Benny has been itching for that bigger role.

This is his time to shine. He knows it, we know it, unless a guy like Pyatt gets shoved on that line, which would be terrible. Hopefully Darche isn't out too much longer, because he can slot in nicely on Pouliot's line with Desharnais.

So:

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn
Pyatt-Desharnais-White

Conceivably, Halpern needs to move off the top 6, eventually. We're winning now, and all is dandy, but we can't expect that to be a long-term solution. But that makes it tougher now, unless you want to break up some other lines (i.e. Eller's) that are working (which we shouldn't, and hopefully Jacques won't). If Max comes back sooner than expected, we can breathe, but if Eller/Kostitsyn isn't going anywhere anytime soon, Pouliot might have to move to the RW, unless you guys want Halpern to stick in the top 6 for the rest of the year.

Thoughts on this?

PS - Obviously, we all hope Max is well, and I'm not trying to be insensitive with this thread, as we'll still need to keep pushing forward, with or without him.
Halpern is on the 3rd line...so is Plekanec and Cammy. Eller line is playing like the 2nd line now. Pouliot on the Gomez line.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 07:54 AM
MrExpos

Would like to see a guy like Nigel Dawes in the lineup. This team needs offense badly, even without Max. Pyatt and White can't really bring any to the table, so I'd call Dawes up and continue to switch Pyatt and White like JM is doing right now.

But it probably won't happen. They'll play Pyatt and White at the same time and when Darche is ready, they'll put him back in. That's my guess.

MrExpos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:20 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Gagnon:
Habs Max Pacioretty ne sera pas de l'envolée vers St.Louis. L'éclosion d'Andrei Kostitsyn lui vaudra une promotion avec Gomez et Gionta

Is this his suggestion or is it actually happening? Not only would that be dumb, but AKost and Gomez have NOTHING going together.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:24 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Hopefully they do what they did last night, put pouliot on the line with gomer and gio and dont touch the others

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:24 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Gagnon:
Habs Max Pacioretty ne sera pas de l'envolée vers St.Louis. L'éclosion d'Andrei Kostitsyn lui vaudra une promotion avec Gomez et Gionta

Is this his suggestion or is it actually happening? Not only would that be dumb, but AKost and Gomez have NOTHING going together.
He's just saying Kostitsyn's play is deserving of a promotion to the Gomez / Gionta line, not that it will happen.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:33 AM
AntonCH

Instead of promoting Kostitsyn, how about you demote Gomez?
Eller and Ak have been playing well, why break up a good thing?

AntonCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:34 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
He's just saying Kostitsyn's play is deserving of a promotion to the Gomez / Gionta line, not that it will happen.
He also thinks that Kostitsyn was put on the Eller line as a demotion (it wasn't) and that the Eller line is the fourth line (it isn't).

Gagnon isn't particularly clued in I'm afraid.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Instead of promoting Kostitsyn, how about you demote Gomez?
Eller and Ak have been playing well, why break up a good thing?
I wouldn't touch the Eller line and move up Pouliot with Gomez and Gio

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:44 AM
neofury*

I actually think Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta might have been our secret weapon all along. Give Benny a chance he has so much talent, he's just waiting to break out like Max did.

****ing Chara

Now I want to face them in the playoffs and ruin their Stanley Cup dreams, we know they think this is their year.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Gagnon:

I'd leave Pouliot there and maybe try Darche once he comes back...depending on how long Pacioretty is out. I assume taht best case it's 10-14 days with a concussion...but he may have hurt his shoulder or collarbone the way he went in.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Ross MacLochness

It has to be Pouliot. No way they're touching the Larry line.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:49 AM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrExpos View Post
Would like to see a guy like Nigel Dawes in the lineup. This team needs offense badly, even without Max. Pyatt and White can't really bring any to the table, so I'd call Dawes up and continue to switch Pyatt and White like JM is doing right now.

But it probably won't happen. They'll play Pyatt and White at the same time and when Darche is ready, they'll put him back in. That's my guess.
I like this idea even if he looks like our only call-up option. Best time as any to see what he can do

Man I still feel sick...

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:49 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I'd leave Pouliot there and maybe try Darche once he comes back...depending on how long Pacioretty is out. I assume taht best case it's 10-14 days with a concussion...but he may have hurt his shoulder or collarbone the way he went in.
Certainly sounds like Pacioretty's season is done. Serious concussion and neck injury... no way they rush him back.

Honestly, I'd rather they switch things up at this point to make do with what we've got.

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Gionta
Moen - Eller - Kostitsyn
Pouliot - Gomez - Halpern
Pyatt - Desharnais - White

When Darche is back, he can take Halpern's spot, who drops down into Pyatt's.

And while hindsight is 20/20, I was upset we didn't add a top 6 forward at the deadline, even WITH Pacioretty in the line-up. Can't honestly now have long playoff run aspirations without him. I guess you could also feel that it's now better we didn't waste an asset to add someone since this isn't the year.

Last edited by Dan K: 03-09-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:54 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
i've always defended martin's line choice, but if kostities and l'arceleur are separated, im gonna need a seriously good reason why...

agree that pools is the likely candidate to be promoted.

poor DD, centering white and pyatt?

(well not so much white)

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Pleky Roks

Quote:

So:

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn
Pyatt-Desharnais-White

Thoughts on this?

As far as I'm concerned....

- You call up Nigel Dawes and place him with Desharnais and White
- You put Pouliot up with Gomez and Gionta because they had chemistry last year and he's the next best option.
- You leave the Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn line alone because they are our best line at the moment.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Maxpac

Darche is probably the best option if we want somebody to get the garbage goals.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 09:03 AM
Patty Roy

I highly doubt that Gagnon actually has word on line changes for the next game.

But i think you have to keep the Eller-Moen-AK line in tact. Move Pouliot up to the Gomez line. Call up Dawes and put him in Pouliot's spot.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 09:06 AM
Treal

I would like to see this:

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Cammalleri-Plekanec-White
Kostitsyn-Eller-Moen
Pyatt-Desharnais-Halpern

Treal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 09:13 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treal View Post
I would like to see this:

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Cammalleri-Plekanec-White
Kostitsyn-Eller-Moen
Pyatt-Desharnais-Halpern
i'd like you to explain what white has done to deserve that spot. not: "waa-waa toughness". facts please. what has he done - or can do - that halpern cant do the same, or better?

curious minds et cetera...

Old
03-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Treal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
i'd like you to explain what white has done to deserve that spot. not: "waa-waa toughness". facts please. what has he done - or can do - that halpern cant do the same, or better?

curious minds et cetera...

The way I see it, Cammalleri,Plecanek and Halpern are not exactly tearing it up right now so why not have White with them who has shown the ability to execute a strong forecheck and create room for his linemates. I'm not saying this is a sure way to get them going again but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Treal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 09:36 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treal View Post
The way I see it, Cammalleri,Plecanek and Halpern are not exactly tearing it up right now so why not have White with them who has shown the ability to execute a strong forecheck and create room for his linemates. I'm not saying this is a sure way to get them going again but it wouldn't hurt to try.
martin will never put a callup in such a position. i agree that white has been good, but if you have a choice between a guy who's working (halpern) or a guy that 'might' work (white). i think we all knwo what martin will do.

by the way, halpern does all the things you've mentioned: forecheck et cetera. love the way white stodd up to boychuck by the way

Old
03-09-2011, 09:39 AM
VanNistelrooy

Pouliot - Gomez - Gio
Cammalleri - Plekanec - White
Kostitsyn - Eller - Desharnais
Pyatt - Halpern - Moen

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Belso

Quote:
Gagnon:

Ak with Gomez =

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote