HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What happens now? (UPDATE: Benny takes Max's spot)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-09-2011, 07:40 AM
  #1
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,352
vCash: 500
What happens now? (UPDATE: Benny takes Max's spot)

Amid all the discussion in the post-game thread and the "get well" thread, I think it would be good to have a serious look at what happens now that Max is out, assuming he is out long term.

Eller and Kostitsyn cannot be separated, that much is obvious. Which leaves us with the only other viable option: Benoit Pouliot. Looking at the bright side, Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta has had some nice chemistry in the past, and Benny has been itching for that bigger role.

This is his time to shine. He knows it, we know it, unless a guy like Pyatt gets shoved on that line, which would be terrible. Hopefully Darche isn't out too much longer, because he can slot in nicely on Pouliot's line with Desharnais.

So:

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Cammalleri-Plekanec-Halpern
Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn
Pyatt-Desharnais-White

Conceivably, Halpern needs to move off the top 6, eventually. We're winning now, and all is dandy, but we can't expect that to be a long-term solution. But that makes it tougher now, unless you want to break up some other lines (i.e. Eller's) that are working (which we shouldn't, and hopefully Jacques won't). If Max comes back sooner than expected, we can breathe, but if Eller/Kostitsyn isn't going anywhere anytime soon, Pouliot might have to move to the RW, unless you guys want Halpern to stick in the top 6 for the rest of the year.

Thoughts on this?

PS - Obviously, we all hope Max is well, and I'm not trying to be insensitive with this thread, as we'll still need to keep pushing forward, with or without him.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 07:43 AM
  #2
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,033
vCash: 500
I guess there isn't much options, you can't really touch the Eller and Plekanec line so it's going to have to be a Halpern or Pouliot that gets back up there on the line with Gio and Gomez

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 07:45 AM
  #3
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Amid all the discussion in the post-game thread and the "get well" thread, I think it would be good to have a serious look at what happens now that Max is out, assuming he is out long term.

Eller and Kostitsyn cannot be separated, that much is obvious. Which leaves us with the only other viable option: Benoit Pouliot. Looking at the bright side, Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta has had some nice chemistry in the past, and Benny has been itching for that bigger role.

This is his time to shine. He knows it, we know it, unless a guy like Pyatt gets shoved on that line, which would be terrible. Hopefully Darche isn't out too much longer, because he can slot in nicely on Pouliot's line with Desharnais.

So:

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Cammalleri-Plekanec-Halpern
Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn
Pyatt-Desharnais-White

Conceivably, Halpern needs to move off the top 6, eventually. We're winning now, and all is dandy, but we can't expect that to be a long-term solution. But that makes it tougher now, unless you want to break up some other lines (i.e. Eller's) that are working (which we shouldn't, and hopefully Jacques won't). If Max comes back sooner than expected, we can breathe, but if Eller/Kostitsyn isn't going anywhere anytime soon, Pouliot might have to move to the RW, unless you guys want Halpern to stick in the top 6 for the rest of the year.

Thoughts on this?

PS - Obviously, we all hope Max is well, and I'm not trying to be insensitive with this thread, as we'll still need to keep pushing forward, with or without him.
Halpern is on the 3rd line...so is Plekanec and Cammy. Eller line is playing like the 2nd line now. Pouliot on the Gomez line.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 07:54 AM
  #4
MrExpos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 222
vCash: 500
Would like to see a guy like Nigel Dawes in the lineup. This team needs offense badly, even without Max. Pyatt and White can't really bring any to the table, so I'd call Dawes up and continue to switch Pyatt and White like JM is doing right now.

But it probably won't happen. They'll play Pyatt and White at the same time and when Darche is ready, they'll put him back in. That's my guess.

MrExpos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:20 AM
  #5
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,352
vCash: 500
Gagnon:
Habs Max Pacioretty ne sera pas de l'envolée vers St.Louis. L'éclosion d'Andrei Kostitsyn lui vaudra une promotion avec Gomez et Gionta

Is this his suggestion or is it actually happening? Not only would that be dumb, but AKost and Gomez have NOTHING going together.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:24 AM
  #6
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio
 
subbanged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 4,445
vCash: 500
Hopefully they do what they did last night, put pouliot on the line with gomer and gio and dont touch the others

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:24 AM
  #7
Dan K
HFBoards Partner
 
Dan K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Gagnon:
Habs Max Pacioretty ne sera pas de l'envolée vers St.Louis. L'éclosion d'Andrei Kostitsyn lui vaudra une promotion avec Gomez et Gionta

Is this his suggestion or is it actually happening? Not only would that be dumb, but AKost and Gomez have NOTHING going together.
He's just saying Kostitsyn's play is deserving of a promotion to the Gomez / Gionta line, not that it will happen.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:33 AM
  #8
AntonCH
Registered User
 
AntonCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,727
vCash: 500
Instead of promoting Kostitsyn, how about you demote Gomez?
Eller and Ak have been playing well, why break up a good thing?

AntonCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:34 AM
  #9
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
He's just saying Kostitsyn's play is deserving of a promotion to the Gomez / Gionta line, not that it will happen.
He also thinks that Kostitsyn was put on the Eller line as a demotion (it wasn't) and that the Eller line is the fourth line (it isn't).

Gagnon isn't particularly clued in I'm afraid.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:35 AM
  #10
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Instead of promoting Kostitsyn, how about you demote Gomez?
Eller and Ak have been playing well, why break up a good thing?
I wouldn't touch the Eller line and move up Pouliot with Gomez and Gio

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:44 AM
  #11
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
I actually think Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta might have been our secret weapon all along. Give Benny a chance he has so much talent, he's just waiting to break out like Max did.

****ing Chara

Now I want to face them in the playoffs and ruin their Stanley Cup dreams, we know they think this is their year.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:46 AM
  #12
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Gagnon:
Habs Max Pacioretty ne sera pas de l'envolée vers St.Louis. L'éclosion d'Andrei Kostitsyn lui vaudra une promotion avec Gomez et Gionta

Is this his suggestion or is it actually happening? Not only would that be dumb, but AKost and Gomez have NOTHING going together.
I'd leave Pouliot there and maybe try Darche once he comes back...depending on how long Pacioretty is out. I assume taht best case it's 10-14 days with a concussion...but he may have hurt his shoulder or collarbone the way he went in.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:47 AM
  #13
Ross MacLochness
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,774
vCash: 500
It has to be Pouliot. No way they're touching the Larry line.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:49 AM
  #14
Paul Dipietro
Registered User
 
Paul Dipietro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrExpos View Post
Would like to see a guy like Nigel Dawes in the lineup. This team needs offense badly, even without Max. Pyatt and White can't really bring any to the table, so I'd call Dawes up and continue to switch Pyatt and White like JM is doing right now.

But it probably won't happen. They'll play Pyatt and White at the same time and when Darche is ready, they'll put him back in. That's my guess.
I like this idea even if he looks like our only call-up option. Best time as any to see what he can do

Man I still feel sick...

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:49 AM
  #15
Dan K
HFBoards Partner
 
Dan K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I'd leave Pouliot there and maybe try Darche once he comes back...depending on how long Pacioretty is out. I assume taht best case it's 10-14 days with a concussion...but he may have hurt his shoulder or collarbone the way he went in.
Certainly sounds like Pacioretty's season is done. Serious concussion and neck injury... no way they rush him back.

Honestly, I'd rather they switch things up at this point to make do with what we've got.

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Gionta
Moen - Eller - Kostitsyn
Pouliot - Gomez - Halpern
Pyatt - Desharnais - White

When Darche is back, he can take Halpern's spot, who drops down into Pyatt's.

And while hindsight is 20/20, I was upset we didn't add a top 6 forward at the deadline, even WITH Pacioretty in the line-up. Can't honestly now have long playoff run aspirations without him. I guess you could also feel that it's now better we didn't waste an asset to add someone since this isn't the year.


Last edited by Dan K: 03-09-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:54 AM
  #16
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,908
vCash: 1707
i've always defended martin's line choice, but if kostities and l'arceleur are separated, im gonna need a seriously good reason why...

agree that pools is the likely candidate to be promoted.

poor DD, centering white and pyatt?

(well not so much white)

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:55 AM
  #17
Pleky Roks
Registered User
 
Pleky Roks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Amid all the discussion in the post-game thread and the "get well" thread, I think it would be good to have a serious look at what happens now that Max is out, assuming he is out long term.

Eller and Kostitsyn cannot be separated, that much is obvious. Which leaves us with the only other viable option: Benoit Pouliot. Looking at the bright side, Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta has had some nice chemistry in the past, and Benny has been itching for that bigger role.

This is his time to shine. He knows it, we know it, unless a guy like Pyatt gets shoved on that line, which would be terrible. Hopefully Darche isn't out too much longer, because he can slot in nicely on Pouliot's line with Desharnais.

So:

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Cammalleri-Plekanec-Halpern
Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn
Pyatt-Desharnais-White

Conceivably, Halpern needs to move off the top 6, eventually. We're winning now, and all is dandy, but we can't expect that to be a long-term solution. But that makes it tougher now, unless you want to break up some other lines (i.e. Eller's) that are working (which we shouldn't, and hopefully Jacques won't). If Max comes back sooner than expected, we can breathe, but if Eller/Kostitsyn isn't going anywhere anytime soon, Pouliot might have to move to the RW, unless you guys want Halpern to stick in the top 6 for the rest of the year.

Thoughts on this?

PS - Obviously, we all hope Max is well, and I'm not trying to be insensitive with this thread, as we'll still need to keep pushing forward, with or without him.

As far as I'm concerned....

- You call up Nigel Dawes and place him with Desharnais and White
- You put Pouliot up with Gomez and Gionta because they had chemistry last year and he's the next best option.
- You leave the Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn line alone because they are our best line at the moment.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 09:00 AM
  #18
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,841
vCash: 500
Darche is probably the best option if we want somebody to get the garbage goals.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 09:03 AM
  #19
Patty Roy
Registered User
 
Patty Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,724
vCash: 500
I highly doubt that Gagnon actually has word on line changes for the next game.

But i think you have to keep the Eller-Moen-AK line in tact. Move Pouliot up to the Gomez line. Call up Dawes and put him in Pouliot's spot.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 09:06 AM
  #20
Treal
Registered User
 
Treal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 217
vCash: 500
I would like to see this:

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Cammalleri-Plekanec-White
Kostitsyn-Eller-Moen
Pyatt-Desharnais-Halpern

Treal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 09:13 AM
  #21
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,908
vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treal View Post
I would like to see this:

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Cammalleri-Plekanec-White
Kostitsyn-Eller-Moen
Pyatt-Desharnais-Halpern
i'd like you to explain what white has done to deserve that spot. not: "waa-waa toughness". facts please. what has he done - or can do - that halpern cant do the same, or better?

curious minds et cetera...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 09:26 AM
  #22
Treal
Registered User
 
Treal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
i'd like you to explain what white has done to deserve that spot. not: "waa-waa toughness". facts please. what has he done - or can do - that halpern cant do the same, or better?

curious minds et cetera...

The way I see it, Cammalleri,Plecanek and Halpern are not exactly tearing it up right now so why not have White with them who has shown the ability to execute a strong forecheck and create room for his linemates. I'm not saying this is a sure way to get them going again but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Treal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 09:36 AM
  #23
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,908
vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treal View Post
The way I see it, Cammalleri,Plecanek and Halpern are not exactly tearing it up right now so why not have White with them who has shown the ability to execute a strong forecheck and create room for his linemates. I'm not saying this is a sure way to get them going again but it wouldn't hurt to try.
martin will never put a callup in such a position. i agree that white has been good, but if you have a choice between a guy who's working (halpern) or a guy that 'might' work (white). i think we all knwo what martin will do.

by the way, halpern does all the things you've mentioned: forecheck et cetera. love the way white stodd up to boychuck by the way

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 09:39 AM
  #24
VanNistelrooy
Registered User
 
VanNistelrooy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Habs Land
Posts: 2,499
vCash: 500
Pouliot - Gomez - Gio
Cammalleri - Plekanec - White
Kostitsyn - Eller - Desharnais
Pyatt - Halpern - Moen

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 09:42 AM
  #25
Belso
Registered User
 
Belso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Gagnon:
Habs Max Pacioretty ne sera pas de l'envolée vers St.Louis. L'éclosion d'Andrei Kostitsyn lui vaudra une promotion avec Gomez et Gionta

Is this his suggestion or is it actually happening? Not only would that be dumb, but AKost and Gomez have NOTHING going together.
Ak with Gomez =

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.