HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cowen vs Rundblad, who will make it next year?

View Poll Results: Who will make it the team first?
David Rundblad 21 16.28%
Jared Cowen 15 11.63%
Both (Both are ready and Murray needs to send Kuba and someone else packing) 91 70.54%
Neither ( No spots open, both not ready for the NHL) 2 1.55%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Afro Thunder*

vCash: 500
Cowen vs Rundblad, who will make it next year?

As you all know that there is a log jam in the defence with the unability to trade Kuba or Gonchar and the much improved play of Brian Lee has caused somewhat of a logjam in the defence, not much spots open for the top prospects of Cowen and Rundblad.

So let's say these are the pairings for next season.

Philips-Lee (Playing off each other really well, Lee is outshining Philips right now, considered Ottawa's new shutdown pair by the coaches)
Kuba-Karlsson (The worst pairing, I can't stand this one.)
Gonchar-Carkner (Meh pairing, both slow as hell)

So who will make it, and how?

I think Cowen will make it first and by the deadline of hopefully trading Kuba to someone, Rundblad after spending some time getting used to the NA ice in the AHL gets called up just like Karlsson.

At the beggining of the season.
Philips-Lee
Gonchar-Cowen
Kuba-Karlsson

After Kuba gets traded

Philips-Lee
Gonchar-Cowen
Rundblad-Karlsson.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 10:53 AM
H2O

Both I think. Rundblad and Karlsson will alternate sitting in the press box unless Karlsson improves his D game significantly.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Both I think. Rundblad and Karlsson will alternate sitting in the press box unless Karlsson improves his D game significantly.
Yeah I don't think the leading point getter in the team will be riding the press box next year.

Old
03-09-2011, 10:56 AM
D0C

Both are coming in, there's no doubt in my mind.

Kuba should be shipped out this off-season and Lee will be our 7th D. Carkner should stay on the 3rd pairing as he's too valuable to scratch in my opinion. We need his toughness on the backend. Lee has played well lately but I can't see him take a spot from one of the youngsters.

D0C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 10:58 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
...That wont happen.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Derivation

We're rebuilding, so there isn't going to be any time better to have young guys take over this ****** ass team and develop for 2-3 years. Excited to see Silfverberg come over next season as well, I hope he can crack the opening day roster and prove Dorian wrong.

Derivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 10:59 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Quote:
That won't be happening...Lets sit Phillips and play Cowen

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 11:01 AM
2CHAINZ
@EverythingPawg

it will depend on their stamina

2CHAINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 11:01 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold

vCash: 73
I'm going with Cowen making the team first straight out of camp. Rundblad will join the team midway in the season after he gets adjusted to the NA rinks and style in Bingo.

03-09-2011, 11:02 AM
H2O

They'll have to balance offense and defense in the back end somehow. It's hard to imagine all of Karlsson, Rundblad, and Gonchar playing in the back end. Add Cowen, and would this be the youngest D group in the league?

Old
03-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Sensfanman

Yes, let's sit Karlsson next year

Sometimes I wonder about this place...

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 11:07 AM
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfanman View Post
Yes, let's sit Karlsson next year

Sometimes I wonder about this place...
I didn't say sit him all year, no need to be overdramatic. If they want to give Rundblad the same leeway to make mistakes and learn from them like they did with Karlsson, Karlsson may have to sit some games. That is assuming Karlsson isn't better next year. I expect he will be better.

Old
03-09-2011, 11:08 AM
jbeck5

My guess is they will buy out kuba and go with:

Gonchar
Phillips
Karlsson
Carkner
Lee
Cowen
Rundblad

It's not a bad idea to carry 7D. Carkner or lee would be the healthy scratches.

jbeck5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Comely

They will both be playing by the end of the year, straight out of camp, well thats another story. I have faith that Murray can ditch at least 1 DMan at the draft. I pretty much garentee that Rundblad will play game 1 next year, it will be part of the deal getting him over from Sweden but just like the year Karlsson came over he will be sent down if he struggles

Comely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
My guess is they will buy out kuba and go with:

Gonchar
Phillips
Karlsson
Carkner
Lee
Cowen
Rundblad

It's not a bad idea to carry 7D. Carkner or lee would be the healthy scratches.
Right now Lee is outplaying Carkner as he's holding up against other team's top pairings and shutting them down. I don't see him getting scratched next year at all.
I could see Carkner being expendable if Cowen makes the team.

Old
03-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Minister of Offence

They'll probably try and open up a spot by dealing Kuba by the draft or after, they might fail, they might consider a buy out. They also might have to throw Lee in a deal if they want to move Nashville's pick into the top 10...let's face it, if anyone's been watching the kid since he started playing this year, they've probably liked what they've seen as far as a 23 year old prospective 4th Dman. Considering he's cheap, he may get interest.

Carkner is almost certainly the de facto 7th Dman.

If Kuba remains into next season, it's one too many LDs is Gonchar has to play the left. Cowen may start in the AHL until they find a team to take Kuba as a rental...hopefully he would play better to facilitate that. MAYBE, just maybe, they consider moving KARLSSON to forward during this time to see what happens.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 11:47 AM
sens83

Ok.

What happens if we draft Larsson? Then what? You have too many D-men. If Lee's value is so high or growing as this thread is claiming then flip him and a pick at the draft to move up. Or straight up for a pick.

Kuba needs to be go too, good luck finding someone to pick up his salary though. I say buy out.

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 11:52 AM
MatthewT

I think both will.

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 11:53 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Don't forget that people are overly protective of Karlsson on our team. Try not to throw any negativity his way...he's just a boy and he's going to be the best defenceman we've ever had. :sarcasm

Anyway...I think Rundblad and Cowen both make the team next year. I think Rundblad becomes our go to guy by the end of the year.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Mranderson*

On the side of optimism I'd say both make it, since campoli is gone we need a D to fill in. cowen for sure should make it in and stay. but I tend to think rundblad may have a stint in the ahl.

Mranderson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
Don't forget that people are overly protective of Karlsson on our team. Try not to throw any negativity his way...he's just a boy and he's going to be the best defenceman we've ever had. :sarcasm

Anyway...I think Rundblad and Cowen both make the team next year. I think Rundblad becomes our go to guy by the end of the year.
Eh, I don't think people are overly protective - I think people are just realistic as opposed to absurd. Shattering a 20 year old's confidence because he makes defensive mistakes that mostly have to do with his size is dumb. There's nothing to be gained from it.

As to Rundblad v. Karlsson, I think that will be an excellent motivating factor for Karlsson and make both of them better as a result.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 11:57 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post

Rundblad isn't that great defensively and to say that he will outproduce a 3rd year Karlsson at any point of the season is ludicrous.

He may be good, he wont be the go to guy by the end of next season.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 11:58 AM
operasen

New Coach - will be needed to be in place so as to indicate what the style of play will be next season.

Cowen & Runblad (& Larsson if he's the choice) will be given every chance to make the club out of Camp.

And DSmith, Lee, Benoit, Gryba, Wiercioch, Hale will all get a chance to showcase what they can do as well. Smith has looked okay these last games.

I strongly feel Kuba at least will be dealt at the Draft

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 11:59 AM
source

Both will eventually be playing on the team next year. One defenceman will be moved IMO - maybe Kuba, maybe Carkner.

No way in hell anyone trades for Kuba before the start of the season though. Teams will address their needs through free agency, and if there is still a sliver of demand after that, Kuba will gone.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
New Coach - will be needed to be in place so as to indicate what the style of play will be next season.

Cowen & Runblad (& Larsson if he's the choice) will be given every chance to make the club out of Camp.

And DSmith, Lee, Benoit, Gryba, Wiercioch, Hale will all get a chance to showcase what they can do as well. Smith has looked okay these last games.

I strongly feel Kuba at least will be dealt at the Draft
If we pick Larsson, our defense next season would be:

Phillips - Rundblad
Cowen - Karlsson
Larsson - Lee
Gonchar

?

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote