HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wgr550

Old
03-07-2011, 07:48 PM
matthew94

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to matthew94
Most of the hatred toward Schopp & the Bulldog is, in my opinion, due to misplaced expectations. People seem to tune it in expecting detailed hockey/football analysis. That's not what the show is. It's meant to be entertaining and funny. Granted, not everyone will like their sense of humor, but at least be aware that's what they're going for.

They bring on guys like Hamilton to do more in-depth stuff. Most people don't want that for 4 straight hours.

Frankly, I find them to be pretty funny quite often. And I would have to say most of the callers ARE stupid, unprepared, or just too nervous to make for good radio.

matthew94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Maximrules

I think Schopp has rubbed off on Bulldog, but Bulldog still isn't too bad. Schopp is just a condescending a****** who keeps his hand on the drop call button the entire show. Don't know why they keep him.

Maximrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Maximrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew94 View Post
Most of the hatred toward Schopp & the Bulldog is, in my opinion, due to misplaced expectations. People seem to tune it in expecting detailed hockey/football analysis. That's not what the show is. It's meant to be entertaining and funny. Granted, not everyone will like their sense of humor, but at least be aware that's what they're going for.

They bring on guys like Hamilton to do more in-depth stuff. Most people don't want that for 4 straight hours.

Frankly, I find them to be pretty funny quite often. And I would have to say most of the callers ARE stupid, unprepared, or just too nervous to make for good radio.
But that doesn't excuse them from making callers look like idiots. If the callers are purposely being stupid then yes, go nuts. But if a person tries to make a legitimate point or question, Schopp is ALWAYS quick to try to humiliate them no matter how he tries to defend himself. Not everyone is trained in radio.

Maximrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 07:58 PM
mechaphil

Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
If you wanna listen to Mendola and Riter on iOS/Android, install TuneIn

mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:02 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Funny is subjective so I won't argue with you. I listen to WGR for information on Sabres. I could do without all the Bills stuff. And those guys offer zero add on.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:08 PM
thomas vanek

People who call Schopp and the Bulldog "idiots" are probably of equivalent intelligence as the moron who called up today (first caller of the day) suggesting that they buy out Pominville this summer. The same Pominville that scored the game winner against Philly, and has been playing solid two-way hockey for some time now.

You can't blame them for getting frustrated by some of the absurd things that they have to put up with on a daily basis. Their main point today was, why can't we just ENJOY what's going on now....and I for one agree wholeheartedly.

thomas vanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Ghills23

I wish they gave Brian Koziol a show or put him for Schoppe. I like his analysis on the pre and post games.

Once in a while Schopp and Bulldog put on a good show but when they have food drafts and other bologna just to fill the time it's annoying and they act like they aren't obligated to talk sports.

If you want to do off topic stuff on air that's fine but move to a morning talk show on a music station don't do it on a sports radio network.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:26 PM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
Quote:

To be fair, they have the ability to cut out parts of the call to manipulate it in the direction they want to go.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Eric II

Radio personalities, like pretty much everyone else with any kind of "celebrity" status, are pretty arrogant by nature. DJs think they're the best thing to ever walk through the door, even if they work the midnight to 4 am shift on Mondays. I've never listened to WGR, but the idea of insulting the listeners that make your show a possibility is unfortunate. It's all about ratings and money, though, so if they think the best formula is to act like jerks and pretend they know more than everyone because its their voice that's on the airwaves, they're going to go with that formula.

Eric II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 05:25 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Yea they are getting pretty annoying. Even the games and jokes that Jeremy White throw out all of the time are getting old. Deadline day was a disaster. These guys couldn't keep people entertained all day due to the lack of trades. They talk about Eklund rumors. Really? Seriously?

I tried calling Schopp whatever day it was when wrestling was at HSBC (I think it was deadline day) and they had me on hold for 45 minutes talking about wrestling and a few other things that had nothing to do with hockey. I didn't wait any longer. Then they cut into 45 minutes of Sullivan after that. I won't bother trying to call again. Good thing I hung up. They seriously don't give a rats ass about callers or what they day.

Seriously though Schopp has to be almost as rude as Stern at times and its sickening to know that he is the lead guy on air before games.

I rarely listen to anything on there and I really hope WECK can take off.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 05:57 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximrules View Post
But that doesn't excuse them from making callers look like idiots. If the callers are purposely being stupid then yes, go nuts. But if a person tries to make a legitimate point or question, Schopp is ALWAYS quick to try to humiliate them no matter how he tries to defend himself. Not everyone is trained in radio.
This.

Last week a guy criticized the way the Rivet situation was handled for so long. Schopp defended it by saying "He was waived and picked up by Columbus" Really dude? Ya think? The point the caller was trying to make was that a lot of the players here are coddled and keeping the C on Rivet was wrong. Schopp had no answer to that, defended how the players are treated and in doing so tried the hardest to make the caller look like an idiot. He really could have just admitted that a lot of the players here are coddled (because they are) and that now the Rivet situation was resolved. He really didn't need to make it sound like the Rivet situation was all fine and dandy until he was waived. And he certainly didn't need to degrade the caller on air for mentioning the damn truth.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 07:17 AM
aceface33

I listen to Schopp and the Bulldog a lot and I don't mind it. Maybe it's cause I don't live in Buffalo anymore so I'm starved for Buffalo sports talk. The week that Terry Pegula came was great listening, I thought.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 07:22 AM
rabi

rabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 07:33 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
This thread reminds me of a quote, "All publicity is good, except an obituary notice."

03-08-2011, 10:05 AM
murp0837

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritter65 View Post
Well put.

FWIW, I love every local/weekday show on WGR, especially Schopp and the Bulldog. And no, I don't work there, am not friends with any of them, or am related to any host. The people they're "rude" to are basically morons and I'd be fed up with hearing them every day. And like you said Goose, they treat the intelligent callers just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose08 View Post
In their defense, when they have a caller who makes a decent call to the show they usually treat them just fine.

It's the people who call up wondering why we don't make a trade for Crosby or just want to hear their voice's on the radio that get hung up on or worse.

I get pretty pissed at most people who call the show, myself. I suppose they could be a little nicer but after years of these types of people calling up, I'd be a little fed up too.
I think we found Schopp and Parker's screen names. :-D

Seriously, I respect everyone's opinions. I recognize the fact that there are bad callers (e.g. the Pominville caller yesterday), and that probably gets frustrating at times. I just find Schopp's arrogance to be tasteless at times. Bulldog always struck me as "being along for the ride", and if was more positive so would he.

murp0837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 01:07 PM
mhuberts

Schopp thinks he is the smartest person in the room. I believe he likens his sports talk for smart people to serious world issues. And then when "sully" joins the show it turns to an abomination. Mike is in the wrong profession,with his hatred for a portion of his listeners he should be a prison guard. My apologies for guards everywhere.

mhuberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 01:12 PM
mhuberts

I like the bulldog he is sincerely nice and the kind of guy you can have a beer with.
I don't think schopp would share a drink of single malt scotch with you

mhuberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 01:31 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Yea Schopp comes across arrogant on the radio. Short fuse, cuts more callers off than Bulldog. Directs the conversations to support his view on things. He does have some good topics and discussions.

Bulldog is a terrible radio voice IMO. He stutters the "I" so much, baaaaad radio. He does seem more personable, down to earth, and a hockey nut. He does give callers more "rope" to talk about a topic to get the whole POV out.

I think Hamilton should have a 2 hour show during the 10-12 time slot during the hockey season (when he is in town). Or get a ex-sabre who is interested in broadcasting to do that time slot.

ZZamboni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 01:51 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post

I think Hamilton should have a 2 hour show during the 10-12 time slot during the hockey season (when he is in town). Or get a ex-sabre who is interested in broadcasting to do that time slot.
love it!!!!

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 02:13 PM
bpc2083

Schopp barely knows anything about hockey. The thing that pissed me off the most about him was after the Bills beat the Dolphins, he complained that we ran the score up on them and should show some class. Like the Dolphins will do the same for us or something. WE BARELY EVER WIN, if they don't want the score ran up on them, then they should try to ****ing stop us!

bpc2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 03:44 PM
iknowphysics

Send a message via AIM to iknowphysics
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
Or get a ex-sabre who is interested in broadcasting to do that time slot.
Agreed. I would much rather listen to the likes of Rob Ray/Matt Barnaby/Mike Peca/future Marty Biron jibber on for two hours with current news, old stories, and inside perspectives than the currently employed eleven year olds who found the keys to the principal's PA system.

iknowphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Geico4yoMoney

There problem is that they have a bad show format. They take way too many **** calls, and just spend too much time rehashing the same BS over and over again.

90% of the people they put on the air say the same thing over and over again or scream for Vanek to be traded because he "skated slow last night." Or, they offer up stupid trade ideas that will never ever happen and don't even make sense for the Sabres let alone the other team.

Who knows, maybe the call screeners are as much to blame as the two hosts choosing the topic of the month.

Geico4yoMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 10:57 AM
Jagemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geico4yoMoney View Post
There problem is that they have a bad show format. They take way too many **** calls, and just spend too much time rehashing the same BS over and over again.

90% of the people they put on the air say the same thing over and over again or scream for Vanek to be traded because he "skated slow last night." Or, they offer up stupid trade ideas that will never ever happen and don't even make sense for the Sabres let alone the other team.
I was about to post the same thing before I read your post.

I would be bashing the callers myself if I had a job like that (to listen moronic people to tell their opinions).
Callers are usually following the same pattern: "Connolly/Vanek/flavor of the day uhm was bad and we should trade him to Richards and maybe package Niedermayer to sweeten the pot."
Basically listening to callers like that would pretty much shorten my life up to a point when I'd kill myself. The people that are calling usually have no idea what they are even talking about.

Oh and they are usually drunk or atleast sound like it. Maybe work in glue factory...

Jagemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Perhaps if they upped their game in regards to guests, it might up the game for their callers? Take prospects for a moment, something dear to many of the HF faithful (and the basis for the existence of this board ), there are a variety of insightful individuals who do solid audio in their own right that they could have in on a semi-regular basis for external viewpoints not only on Sabre prospects but the leagues in general. Would having some of the better people in the blog-o-sphere participating regularly be such a bad thing or any more boring/inane/tedioius than hearing people carping on who's paid too much or who should've done what differently in the last game? I don't think so -- and it might actually cause people to take in some information prior to a guy arriving so that expectations are set and it isn't the usual "I know nothing about player XXX because I don't follow prospects" conversation that tends to be the norm on their shows.

If they want someone to provide names, it doesn't take that long to find good hockey sources and make the interview Sabre-centric.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Perhaps if they upped their game in regards to guests, it might up the game for their callers? Take prospects for a moment, something dear to many of the HF faithful (and the basis for the existence of this board ), there are a variety of insightful individuals who do solid audio in their own right that they could have in on a semi-regular basis for external viewpoints not only on Sabre prospects but the leagues in general. Would having some of the better people in the blog-o-sphere participating regularly be such a bad thing or any more boring/inane/tedioius than hearing people carping on who's paid too much or who should've done what differently in the last game? I don't think so -- and it might actually cause people to take in some information prior to a guy arriving so that expectations are set and it isn't the usual "I know nothing about player XXX because I don't follow prospects" conversation that tends to be the norm on their shows.

If they want someone to provide names, it doesn't take that long to find good hockey sources and make the interview Sabre-centric.
That's just crazy thinking there Chain... intelligent sports talk... oxymoron?

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote