HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Max Pac severe concussion & verterbrae fracture (UPDATE: to practice in 4-6 weeks!!!)

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Lord Chezz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Except that is looking at it from the wrong angle.

Very very few people are actual psychos who are out to injure others. They don't derive pleasures from it. No one thinks that for anyone. The issue here is not that Chara is a murderer or anything.

Chara had a split second to make a decision. Let up, or not. Guide Pacioretty's body into the turnbuckle or not.

It is being ingrained into Bruins players heads that they need to fight, and hit as hard as possible and take guys out. That they should not let up when they face the habs. The hatred is nurtured by coaches, fans and radio hosts. Hatred at all costs and the answer to the hatred is not to beat your opponents at the game of hockey, it is to physically beat the other team. Their answer is violence. So when Chara is faced with a split second decision, what decision do you think he'll make ? Let up or not let up ? He doesn't have time to think about the full ramifications of his actions. All he knows is that if he lets up, he'll be accused of being soft instead of sending a message. It's that culture in hockey that has to go away. It won't go away with soft suspensions for actions like this though. It is being encouraged by the league.
See my comment about carelessness vs intent.

Look, I think this whole thing is bloody terrible. I lit a candle and burnt some incense for Max last night.I just think some folks are letting their emotions get the best of them when calling for Chara to be suspended for a large number of games or to be laid criminal charges.

Whether that carelessness warrants 10 games or so, in my opinion no, but we'll leave it up to the NHL to decide to set some type of strong precedent.

Old
03-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Lord Chezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
Gomez's tantrums don't wreck careers.
Yet...

Old
03-09-2011, 10:43 AM
AD

I'm wet and have shampoo in my eyes and you're nowhere to be seen.

Screw you Chezz. You should be suspended and lobotomized.

Old
03-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
See my comment about carelessness vs intent.

Look, I think this whole thing is bloody terrible. I lit a candle and burnt some incense for Max last night.I just think some folks are letting their emotions get the best of them when calling for Chara to be suspended for a large number of games or to be laid criminal charges.

Whether that carelessness warrants 10 games or so, in my opinion no, but we'll leave it up to the NHL to decide to set some type of strong precedent.
How would you feel about the play if you believe Chara knew where the turnbuckle was and wanted to stamp Patches on it in a "big hit" type of play?

Not that he wanted to kill or injury him per se, just boneheaded play in an attempt to lay the big hit and "wake up" his team.

Old
Lord Chezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post

Screw you Chezz. You should be suspended and sodomized.
fixed.

Old
Doyle

Regardless of discipline, Pacioretty injury will affect Habs

http://nhlhotstove.com/regardless-of...l-affect-habs/

Old
03-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Yes it is different.

Players cannot be expected to know the exact amount of distance they are with regards to the turnbuckle or the boards. But there is a huge difference between mid-ice and near the boards.

The real comparaison is this one:

If a check happens 2 feet from the boards its a potential dirty hit. If it happens 1 foot from the boards, its just a regular good play.

When Jones hit Bergeron and almost paralysed him, it was almost an identical hit than every other hit in the game, except Bergeron was 18" from the boards, not 8" from the boards. Jones wasn't criminally responisble. He was just slighly reckless.

2 game suspension.

I expect nothing more than 5 games here.
Again, by NHL discipline standards, sure. You're correct. 2-5 games.

That said, they're insane. I won't argue intent. We will never know, there is no point. In fact, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

My argument is that it doesn't matter. He just wrote the playbook on legally OK homicide in the Bell Centre and when some other player does this on purpose in two weeks, the NHL is stuck handing out a second two game suspension.

Intent should be taken out of it. This was a reckless and insanely dangerous play, intentional or not.

Final note though, I am not saying Chara intended to decapitate him, but he's more than aware of where he was on the ice. I doubt he thought it all the way through, but players are VERY aware of "the exact amount of distance they are with regards to the turnbuckle or the boards."

Chara and every player on the ice knows that's a dangerous spot. I don't think he thought the play all the way through. I don't think he was "trying" to kill him. But yes, the player is responsible for his actions, especially in danger areas and that one is universally known to be a big danger area.

I am not arguing Chara should be criminally charged, I am saying a huge suspension. If we absolutely KNEW he intended it (which we never could), then that's when you arrest someone.

Intent shouldn't be the difference between small and big suspensions. It should be the difference between big suspensions and criminal charges.

Old
03-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
Once I heard that Pac was "alright" I shut the game off. Nothing will happen to Chara, be it league discipline or on-ice revenge. That being said, he's a savage and I would not be opposed to seriously injuring one of their other players and giving big Z a nod as the stretcher comes out. Let his teammates know that their on the line for their captains actions.
I wouldn't want to see another young player hurt... just because I wouldn't wish that on anyone. But Chara? I'd skate away and never look back, just like he did.

Old
03-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Chara deserve to be suspend for the rest of the season .NHL is a big joke.

They will have to do something because Pacs could have lost his life yesterday, what's sad it's that they will wait until it happen before doing something.

to me it's easy this league need consistent call on every penalties and ban fighting. The game is too fast now ,players need to respect each others

what Chara did yesterday was disgusting

Old
03-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Lord Chezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
How would you feel about the play if you believe Chara knew where the turnbuckle was and wanted to stamp Patches on it in a "big hit" type of play?
Is that how you feel, dog?

Well, if I thought that way, I'd likely ***** about it on a couple forums, possibly twitter and FB and then be livid once I find the NHL suspends him for 3 games as opposed to the 15 I had hoped for.

Old
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
I wouldn't want to see another young player hurt... just because I wouldn't wish that on anyone. But Chara? I'd skate away and never look back, just like he did.
I don't think Chara's able to get seriously hurt on a hockey play.

Old
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Intent should be taken out of it. This was a reckless and insanely dangerous play.
I agree.

Old
03-09-2011, 10:48 AM
impudent_lowlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by remer View Post
Get some help...
to do something about those partitions as they keep injuring - regardless of being used as a means of retribution by one player against another.

Perhaps the NRA could give me pointers.

Old
03-09-2011, 10:48 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Factors that should be considered for a serious suspension:
- Max didn't have the puck
- Game was already out of reach
- Chara's gone after Max before, makes it being an "accident" hard to believe
- Serious injury, likely gone for the year + more
- Chara hit Max high with his hands, he wasn't rubbing Max out of the play it was blatant attempt to injure

Factors that will make the suspension a maximum two games:
- Zdeno is "sorry"
- Zdeno is a star player
You are probably right. Bit there is another factor, parents of Max. Even though he is an adult they can still get a lawyer and sue Chara's ass in court. There is enough background and video to remove some serious coinage out of Chara's pocket. I think they should do it, sometimes the best way to stop violence is to make the guys pay when you take their money.

Old
03-09-2011, 10:49 AM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
Regardless of discipline, Pacioretty injury will affect Habs

http://nhlhotstove.com/regardless-of...l-affect-habs/
Quote:
Chara will meet with NHL Vice President Mike Murphy today at noon, as Colin Campbell cannot rule on the matter because his son Gregory plays with Chara on the Bruins.
I thought it was only a phone call? If he's meeting with them, then its possible that its more than 2-3 games...

Old
Fido22

Quote:
Is that how you feel, dog?

Well, if I thought that way, I'd likely ***** about it on a couple forums, possibly twitter and FB and then be livid once I find the NHL suspends him for 3 games as opposed to the 15 I had hoped for.
Excellent game plan.

Thank you.

Old
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
So does Gomez, yet no one accuses him of being a wretched, vile creature.

Gomez is a wretched and vile hockey player.

Old
03-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Bullsmith

The message the NHL is sending is go out and hire some monsters and send them out to deliberately injure the other team. If you try and win games by outplaying your opponents, you are fair game and can be injured at will.

Old
Lord Chezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
I thought it was only a phone call? If he's meeting with them, then its possible that its more than 2-3 games...
FWIW, TSN still says conference call.

Old
JaymzB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post

Not that he wanted to kill or injury him per se, just boneheaded play in an attempt to lay the big hit and "wake up" his team.
How can you prove that though?

Old
03-09-2011, 10:53 AM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
I don't think Chara's able to get seriously hurt on a hockey play.
Why? He doesn't have knees that stand 4 feet from the ice and that are easy targets??

Old
03-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed11 View Post
clearer pic:

Yikes he's out already in that pic.

Old
03-09-2011, 10:54 AM
mcphee

Quote:

Screw you Chezz. You should be suspended and lobotomized.
day late and a dollar short.

Old
03-09-2011, 10:55 AM
habfan4

Chezz,

When you're wrong, you're wrong. Chara has a history of losing the plot when the game is out of reach. Intent or not, the guy has a history of marginal play once his team is behind which should be a factor in the NHL's decision re supplementary discipline (not that it will be).

Old
03-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymzB View Post
How can you prove that though?
You try to demonstrate that the hit (with the arms pushing and leading) at that location would be considered reckless and you hope for the best.

aka ****** laid an enough of an ambiguous type of hit that nobody will touch him.

Closed Thread