HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft/Other Prospects (All NON-RANGERS Prospect Discussion - Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2011, 09:39 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I don't think so.

There are 16 teams each year, 6 of which are the winners from Hockey East, ECAC, Atlantic, WCHA, CCHA, CHA, and 10 others. RPI isn't in the top 20 rankings on USHL, and their early elimination pretty much kills their chances. The top teams like Yale and Union would likely still qualify with an early upset exit, but not a non-bye team like RPI.

The area will have to put its stocks into Union. I'd absolutely love for an ECAC team to somehow win the national championship this year.
Yeah. It would be GREAT! Such great schools finally showing they can compete again in NCAA hockey.

Yeah, thats what I figured. I was hoping they would somehow make it but figured without the Bye and the early-round exit pretty much slammed the door for this season.

Old
03-09-2011, 11:56 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Gare Joyce posted his latest top 50. His second top 50 list.

Jamieson Oleksiak moved up to #11 from #19. Fast riser. Top 15 selection. More physically mature than Tylers Myers at the same age.

Joel Armia moved up 1 spot to #12. Top 15 selection. Is he another Jani Rita or Lauri Tukonen?

Quote:
#13-Matt Puempel Shoots: Left
Position: Left wing
Team: Peterborough (OHL) Height: 6-0
Weight: 198 pounds
Previous Rank: 17

A season-ending hip injury won't hurt his stock, as you can see by his climb up the rankings thanks to his strong play before going under the knife. Puempel is a finisher and was leading his team in scoring, ahead of 2010 draftee Austin Watson, prior to hurting his hip. Perceived shortcomings in skating drop him on some scouts' lists, but his grit and hockey sense and hands are as good as anybody above him here.

Projection: Pure scorer. Top-20 selection.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/insid...0Prospects0307

Ryan Murphy dropped to #14 from #9. Top 20 selection.

Tyler Biggs #15 from #11. Second line upside. Top 20 selection. Smarts and size outweigh skating concerns.

Matt Nieto is #34

Old
03-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Armia could very possibly go pro his first year. The kid is good enough. Really hope we grab him.

03-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Love Oleksiak moving up. He should, as he really looks like a future pro. Biggs moving down is silly, as he's proving himself against college kids now.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Old
03-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Blue, any idea where he may go? 2nd rounder?
I think he can go as high as 20-30 range in first round. He's horribly underrated right now. Since the fall you can see he's growing from a boy to a man, I think he just needs some time and could be as good or better than Rask.

Quote:
• Joachim Nermark (Linköping Jr.) — In a year packed full of dynamic Swedish talent, he kind of snuck up on us. But he has been Sweden's top forward at both major international tournaments so far, and has our full attention now.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...rospects_N.htm

Old
03-09-2011, 03:45 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Armia could very possibly go pro his first year. The kid is good enough. Really hope we grab him.
hell likely be on our radar as hes one of those guys who will be there when we come up to the podium.

i like his size and skill but hes still rather undeveloped as a player. his skating isnt great. not sure if thats his 6'3 frame making him look awkward or what but his first few steps arent good. once he gets rollin though, hes actually pretty fast with the puck.

hes got enormous potential but i would differ with the first year pro stuff. hes got a ways to go.

wasnt all that impressed with his showing at the wjc and i saw him in person there. 1 point in 6 games wasnt good. he seemed kinda unable to create any space for himself when i saw him.

hes got top line scoring winger upside but hes a few years away.

Old
03-09-2011, 04:28 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I think he can go as high as 20-30 range in first round. He's horribly underrated right now. Since the fall you can see he's growing from a boy to a man, I think he just needs some time and could be as good or better than Rask.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...rospects_N.htm
rask is dropping like an anchor.

since were talking swedes, theres alot to like this year from my fellow countrymen who wear the tre konor. this is setting up for a nice year for the swedes. not 2009 nice but damn close. alot to like this year.

along with zebanejad- whom i absolutely love i also like this kid.

and big oscar has skills. 6'3 and plays a very smooth 2 way game from the blueline.

but when it comes to swedes on the rise, its this kid all the way.

would love to see this kid slip on a nyr jersey on day 1

http://www.coppernblue.com/2010/11/2...he-copper-blue

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=555223

this kid is a riser. hes got momentum and the media is all over him. hes a gem.

Old
03-09-2011, 07:55 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
I don't think so.

There are 16 teams each year, 6 of which are the winners from Hockey East, ECAC, Atlantic, WCHA, CCHA, CHA, and 10 others. RPI isn't in the top 20 rankings on USHL, and their early elimination pretty much kills their chances. The top teams like Yale and Union would likely still qualify with an early upset exit, but not a non-bye team like RPI.

The area will have to put its stocks into Union. I'd absolutely love for an ECAC team to somehow win the national championship this year.
Well, although he won't change that all on his own, I'd estimate that RPI has a pretty nice recruit in AJ Reid from St. Thomas Academy in MN.

I've watched Reid a good bit this year (and am watching him in the state tourney now), and he definitely has the ability to be an impact player at the NCAA level.

03-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
rask is dropping like an anchor.

since were talking swedes, theres alot to like this year from my fellow countrymen who wear the tre konor. this is setting up for a nice year for the swedes. not 2009 nice but damn close. alot to like this year.

along with zebanejad- whom i absolutely love i also like this kid.

and big oscar has skills. 6'3 and plays a very smooth 2 way game from the blueline.

but when it comes to swedes on the rise, its this kid all the way.

would love to see this kid slip on a nyr jersey on day 1

http://www.coppernblue.com/2010/11/2...he-copper-blue

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=555223

this kid is a riser. hes got momentum and the media is all over him. hes a gem.
Is it possible the Rangers would actually consider him? Or better yet, where would they consider picking him?

Old
03-09-2011, 08:06 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

But as it relates to the Rangers, one guy we should definitely have on our radar in Rd. 4-7 is Steve Fogarty from Edina. He is a fantastic skater, has a nose for the net, and plays physical - plus he is 6-3 200lbs.

Honestly....he reminds me of Kreider. Wheels certainly aren't as good but from a stylistic standpoint it fits.

Notre Dame commit. 25 G - 22 A - 47 P in 27 Games.

Here are some highlights (#19 in Green/Yellow/White):

http://www.splayback.com/watch/lrfun...s.-Holy-Angels

http://www.splayback.com/watch/8d6zh...s.-Duluth-East

http://www.splayback.com/watch/48x2t...Section-Finals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJUKY...mbedded#at=244

Old
03-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Ih8theislanders

The closer we get to the draft the more excited I get about the thought of us drafting Armia. Felt the same way with Fowler last year. Sometimes I become infatuated with a player once I get to see them play live, but anyway I hope this doesn't turn out like last year (not trying to make this into a Fowler v Mcilrath thread)

Old
03-09-2011, 09:19 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
But as it relates to the Rangers, one guy we should definitely have on our radar in Rd. 4-7 is Steve Fogarty from Edina. He is a fantastic skater, has a nose for the net, and plays physical - plus he is 6-3 200lbs.

Honestly....he reminds me of Kreider. Wheels certainly aren't as good but from a stylistic standpoint it fits.

Notre Dame commit. 25 G - 22 A - 47 P in 27 Games.

Here are some highlights (#19 in Green/Yellow/White):

http://www.splayback.com/watch/lrfun...s.-Holy-Angels

http://www.splayback.com/watch/8d6zh...s.-Duluth-East

http://www.splayback.com/watch/48x2t...Section-Finals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJUKY...mbedded#at=244
It's funny I just heard about this kid and I'm very intrigued as well.

Old
03-09-2011, 10:12 PM
darko

Quote:
hell likely be on our radar as hes one of those guys who will be there when we come up to the podium.

i like his size and skill but hes still rather undeveloped as a player. his skating isnt great. not sure if thats his 6'3 frame making him look awkward or what but his first few steps arent good. once he gets rollin though, hes actually pretty fast with the puck.

hes got enormous potential but i would differ with the first year pro stuff. hes got a ways to go.

wasnt all that impressed with his showing at the wjc and i saw him in person there. 1 point in 6 games wasnt good. he seemed kinda unable to create any space for himself when i saw him.

hes got top line scoring winger upside but hes a few years away.

Interesting. I wouldnt care about the wait even if its say 3-4 years. High upside guys is what we need in this system.

Old
03-10-2011, 06:16 AM
cmdevisser

Send a message via AIM to cmdevisser
What is the common consensus here about Thomas Jurco? I've now read from multiple places that this guy is the biggest game breaker in the draft, great speed, size, stick handling, hockey sense...is a RW...seems like a Gordie Clark type pick.

Old
03-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdevisser View Post
What is the common consensus here about Thomas Jurco? I've now read from multiple places that this guy is the biggest game breaker in the draft, great speed, size, stick handling, hockey sense...is a RW...seems like a Gordie Clark type pick.
He's an absolutely maddening player. Great skill, great speed, decent size, but is just as infamous for his inconsistency as he is for his skill set. I haven't seen, or even heard of him putting together a solid 60 minutes. Playing on one of the best teams in the Q, he really has no excuse not to be playing better than he has been.

Old
03-10-2011, 10:01 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdevisser View Post
imo, not someone we would be considering. inconsistent effort euros wont attract alot of interest from our scouting staff.

as has been stated here prior, im afraid gordie is focused on a canadian kid first. torts likes that kinda player too.

i happen to be a fan of iss. not so much of the canadian media. too anti-russian for me. i have highlighted my personal favorites and guys i think we have a chance to both draft and have an interest in.

Top 30 NHL Picks as of March 1

Nugent-Hopkins, Ryan - Red Deer
Larsson, Adam - Skelleftea
Landeskog, Gabriel - Kitchener
Couturier, Sean - Drummondville
Murphy, Ryan - Kitchener
Biggs, Tyler - US U-18
Strome, Ryan - Niagara
Siemens, Duncan - Saskatoon
Hamilton, Douglas - Niagara
Jensen, Nicklas - Oshawa
Saad, Brandon - Saginaw
Armia, Joel - Assat
Huberdeau, Jonathan - Saint John
Khokhlachev, Alexandr - Windsor
Musil, David - Vancouver
Grimaldi, Rocco - US U-18
Catenacci, Daniel - Sault St. Marie
Bell, Myles - Regina

Jaskin, Dmitri - Slavia
McNeill, Mark - Prince Albert
Rattie, Ty - Portland
Jacobs, Colin - Seattle
Mayfield, Scott - Youngstown
Rask, Victor - Leksand
Oleksiak, Jamie - Northeastern
Bartschi, Sven - Portland
Zibanejad, Mika - Djurgarden
Puempel, Matthew - Peterborough
Shore, Nick - Denver
Jurco, Tomas - Saint John

https://www.isshockey.com/scouting/home

Last edited by offdacrossbar: 03-10-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old
03-10-2011, 10:08 AM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Long list of rankings
I had to read the list like 5 times, and still, I am not sure if my eyes are deceiving me, but why is RNH not listed?

Old
03-10-2011, 10:11 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
I had to read the list like 5 times, and still, I am not sure if my eyes are deceiving me, but why is RNH not listed?
haha. my bad.

hes first.

left him off in error.

fixed

Old
03-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

I don't know much about prospects, but from what I've been reading, a couple of you seem to think Grimaldi is a player we should be seriously looking at.

Does anyone have an in-depth opinion on him? From what I've read, he's extremely small, but very skilled, and could be the type of high-end talent that our organization is lacking.

Any info is appreciated.

Old
03-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
A lot of love for Grimaldi.

I know its hard to judge a guy who hasn't even hit NCAA yet, but what kind of upside are we looking at if he can get past the whole 5'6" thing?

Old
03-10-2011, 10:38 AM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
A lot of love for Grimaldi.

I know its hard to judge a guy who hasn't even hit NCAA yet, but what kind of upside are we looking at if he can get past the whole 5'6" thing?
He definitely has the skill to be a top 10 player in this draft, and if it wasn't for his size, obviously he would be. He's a great skater, very sound offensively, good at protecting the puck and distributing it as well. From the videos I've watched of him on youtube, he's very good at staying on his feet in traffic and when he is being shoved around

Shoot Out:

Playing in traffic in front of the net.

From 2003, but it shows his skill, starts at 1:34

Old
03-10-2011, 10:38 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

rocco has scary skills. hes small though. if this kid was 6 ft even, he would be top 5.

think of any high end offensive nhl player now. msl, zach, etc. this is this kids upside. he has very high end offensive skills. all the tools when it comes to scoring. he legit and has nhl talent.

only concern is at 5'6 , how does he react to physical play and his ability to be effective when playing against bigger stronger players. he just so small.

daniel catenacci is a similar player. perhaps not quite the offensive skills as rocco- though hes no slouch what so ever, but hes a few inches taller and daniel has a real mean streak. he plays like a guy whos 6'3. he initiates contact. he hits you to hurt you.

the cat also has the best wheels in this years draft. ive seen him in person and hes a blur. dynamic player in every sense and a motor that does not quit .

Old
03-10-2011, 01:32 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

So ya think we're goin back to the smurfs ODC?

I can't see our brass buying into Zucc, Cally, Thomas, Grimaldi - it'd look like you're trying to get the 'lollypop guild' line out there

Old
03-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Grimaldi, however, is more talented than every single player you just listed.

If Grimaldi was 6 feet tall, he'd go #1 overall.

Old
03-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Grimaldi, however, is more talented than every single player you just listed.

If Grimaldi was 6 feet tall, he'd go #1 overall.
Come on, NOW its gettin a little nutty in here

Closed Thread