Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

2011 Minor Midget OHL Draft (Part II)

Old
03-08-2011, 02:03 PM
William H Bonney

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekomisarek08 View Post
Is he verbally committed to the NCAA? I assume so. Which program?
No, he's not. He now looks like he's permanently up with the U-18s for the season. Most rumors I've seen think he's headed to the OHL after his stint with the NTDP.

Here's a recent article: http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/38737-.html

03-08-2011, 03:59 PM
mkraayen

Max Domi is ranked 2nd by thescout.ca, question is, does he play in the OHL or go college route?

mkraayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 04:18 PM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkraayen View Post
Max Domi is ranked 2nd by thescout.ca, question is, does he play in the OHL or go college route?
If I was a betting man my money would be on the OHL, and the Peterborough Petes. They'll likely have a top 3 pick.

heusy_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 04:40 PM
srj81

Quote:
From what I know...

Defencemen of note

Lavigne - Nickel City Sons - 6'3", 200 - aggressive, poised with the puck, tons of raw potential, hard to play against, hard shot, top D pairing on his team
Caruso - Soo - 5'11, 180 - hard shot, good one timer, PP QB, good first pass, good hands, not too physical but adequate defensively

Forwards of note

Bilton - Nickel City Sons - 5'9, 165 - fast, aggressive forechecker, decent skill, great skater, 2nd line on his team
Dube - Kap - 5'9, 170 - offensively gifted, nose for the net, good shot, 1st line on his team
MacDonald - New Liskeard - 5'11, 165 - good all around player, decent speed, good hands, often injured, 1st line on his team
Desrochers - North Bay - 5'11, 175 - good wheels, good hands, got tons of ice time for the Trappers, creative and tenacious, great shot, 1st line on his team
Brown - Soo - 6'2, 180 - confident and tough, all around skills, average skater, fairly physical, has potential for sure, disappointing second half, 2nd line on his team
Miller - Soo - 5'10, 180 - shat disturber, decent skills, decent skater, hard worker, tough, 3rd line on his team

The sizes are estimates and the comments are just personal observations, nothing more

The coach is Couch from North Bay. Good coach but the Trappers really crumbled in the second half and the playoffs. The team was much better than what they showed. In a tournament like the OHL Cup, coaching is more motivation and less strategy and showcasing the right players on the ice. Some years, they essentially roll the lines, other years they try to win and showcase their best. This year, if they just roll the lines, they'll compete but won't win. Hopefully they showcase the right players. Last year, twelve GNML players were drafted. There won't be that many this year but they are quite a few that may be drafted a bit higher than people think.

The Soo also disappointed in the second half and the playoffs. They just got knocked out by Kapuskasing, the surprise of the league. Kap has been playing awesome hockey since Christmas. They have an older lineup but young Dube led their team in scoring. Their only drafted player in the lineup is Max Lamontagne (Kitchener). They have a minor midget but I've yet to see him play and I don't remember his name but I'm told he was considered for the OHL Cup roster.

Nickel City is the dominant team this year. They meet Kap in the league finals starting next weekend. Nickel City is undefeated in the playoffs and only lost 4 regular season games this year. They can score and they have by far the best defensemen in the league and should advance to the OHFs in London. I believe they are the week after or maybe two weeks after the OHL Cup. Their top scorer is a undrafted kid called Gratton - great hands, great shot, can control a game... but small with a bit of an attitude. Still, should have been drafted last year. Maybe he will be this year as 2nd year Midget but I doubt it. The only drafted player in their lineup is Mitchell Byrne (Brampton).
I have seen a few of these games, as my younger brother is on the Nickel Capitals and going to the OHL cup. Gratton is a real good player, I found in the games I saw he singlehandedly won a couple of them. I wasn't really paying attention to the D so I can't comment on Lavigne. A guy I know that is involved with the Cubs told me Bilton is probably the fastest skater in the league. Dube will probably be go too for the team. The team is hurt by the minor midgets in Sudbury, but still there are some good players

srj81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 05:29 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
If I was a betting man my money would be on the OHL, and the Peterborough Petes. They'll likely have a top 3 pick.
He will definitely be in the OHL.

Peterborough makes a ton of sense.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 05:51 PM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
As per TheScout.ca

1. Nicholas Ritchie Toronto Marlboros (GTHL)
2. Max Domi Don Mills Flyers (GTHL)
3. Darnell Nurse Don Mills Flyers (GTHL)
4. Nicholas Baptiste Ottawa Senators (OEMHL)
5. Steve Santini New York Apple Core (EJHL)
6. Will Butcher Madison Capitals (Tier 1)
7. Jordan Maletta St. Catharines Falcons (SCTA)
8. Jordan Subban Toronto Marlboros (GTHL)
9. Charlie Pelnik Carolina Hurricanes U16 (CYHL)
10. Steven Varga York Simcoe Express

What are the sizes on these kids??

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 06:05 PM
mkraayen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
What are the sizes on these kids??
If you use the following link, you can get the height & weight of 7 of 10 players listed who currently play in Canadian leagues, along with other prospects from these leagues who took part.
http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/...&seasonid=5906

mkraayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Tigers1992

1. Nicholas Ritchie Toronto Marlboros (GTHL) - 6'3" 190
2. Max Domi Don Mills Flyers (GTHL) - 5'9 160
3. Darnell Nurse Don Mills Flyers (GTHL) 6'3 170
4. Nicholas Baptiste Ottawa Senators (OEMHL) 6'0 170
5. Steve Santini New York Apple Core (EJHL) 6'3' 200
6. Will Butcher Madison Capitals (Tier 1) 5'11 180
7. Jordan Maletta St. Catharines Falcons (SCTA) 6'2 190
8. Jordan Subban Toronto Marlboros (GTHL) 5'10 175
9. Charlie Pelnik Carolina Hurricanes U16 (CYHL) 6'2 180
10. Steven Varga York Simcoe Express 6'2 175

Above are estimates off the top of my head.

Ill correct them tonight after the GTHL Finals.

Old
03-08-2011, 07:03 PM
hockey09

Anyone know how the wild card teams are selected for the OHL cup? Do teams like whitby or kingston that were just beat out of the playoffs have a chance of going? also I heard that the winner of the ETA playoffs or the "toilet bowl" can also get an invite. Seem rediclious to me but is there any truth to it?

hockey09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 08:13 PM
TheNorth
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by srj81 View Post
I have seen a few of these games, as my younger brother is on the Nickel Capitals and going to the OHL cup. Gratton is a real good player, I found in the games I saw he singlehandedly won a couple of them. I wasn't really paying attention to the D so I can't comment on Lavigne. A guy I know that is involved with the Cubs told me Bilton is probably the fastest skater in the league. Dube will probably be go too for the team. The team is hurt by the minor midgets in Sudbury, but still there are some good players
Gratton is way to small, dont even think he is 150lbs, goes to my school I think he plans on playing high school hockey next year. And Bilton is a big kid never seen him play though.

TheNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 08:39 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
2. Max Domi Don Mills Flyers (GTHL) - 5'9 160
3. Darnell Nurse Don Mills Flyers (GTHL) 6'3 170
4. Nicholas Baptiste Ottawa Senators (OEMHL) 6'0 170
5. Steve Santini New York Apple Core (EJHL) 6'3' 200
6. Will Butcher Madison Capitals (Tier 1) 5'11 180
7. Jordan Maletta St. Catharines Falcons (SCTA) 6'2 190
8. Jordan Subban Toronto Marlboros (GTHL) 5'10 175
9. Charlie Pelnik Carolina Hurricanes U16 (CYHL) 6'2 180
10. Steven Varga York Simcoe Express 6'2 175

Above are estimates off the top of my head.

Ill correct them tonight after the GTHL Finals.
I would say Domi is 5'8 and Subban is 5'9. These kids are still young they all will have lots of time to grow.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Hockeydman

OHL combine April 2 weekend.

Hockeydman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:39 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey09 View Post
Anyone know how the wild card teams are selected for the OHL cup? Do teams like whitby or kingston that were just beat out of the playoffs have a chance of going? also I heard that the winner of the ETA playoffs or the "toilet bowl" can also get an invite. Seem rediclious to me but is there any truth to it?
The OMHA Wildcat teams will come down to Oakville, Halton and Whitby. I can see them bringing 6, depending on HoneyBaked and other US teams who probably will not be at the Cup.

No truth to the winner of the ETA consolation tournament, there are better teams out there.

Old
03-08-2011, 10:52 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
And barely 15 years old. Wow. Go Colts Go!

Cheers,
Shawn

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:56 PM
TobiasE

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
And barely 15 years old. Wow. Go Colts Go!

Cheers,
Shawn
how about a kid who turned 15 in 2011. Ekblad just took another step for this years draft. No consensus #1 now

http://www.windsorstar.com/sports/Be...529/story.html

TobiasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 01:13 AM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
Ouch! Big bucks even for the Rangers. Maybe they'll have better luck with Mayfield depending where he gets drafted.
I think read once during the summer there's a period where players can leave the program without the buyout taking effect...But if a player leaves the program outside the grace period then the buyout would be enforced.

I am not quite sure but I can find out.

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 07:51 AM
HockeyUser96

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey09 View Post
I heard this could be true ... so ethier South Central , Central Ontario , or Ajax/Pickering would be in the OHL cup as well?

HockeyUser96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:40 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyUser96 View Post
I heard this could be true ... so ethier South Central , Central Ontario , or Ajax/Pickering would be in the OHL cup as well?
Its not. No teams from there would make it.

How fair would that be that a team like South Central to make it, when a team like Whitby who made the finals of the ETA, doesnt.

Its also about what teams the OHL wants to see, so keep that in mind.

Old
03-09-2011, 08:51 AM
sarie67

Quote:
I don't know if he's the fastest in the league, but Bilton is an excellent skater... on the forecheck, without the puck. With the puck however, like many players, he slows quite a bit and gets hit hard often. I'll see Dube play twice on the weekend and hopefully he performs. He hasn't done much against Nickel City yet this year.

sarie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 10:30 AM
srj81

Quote:
I don't know if he's the fastest in the league, but Bilton is an excellent skater... on the forecheck, without the puck. With the puck however, like many players, he slows quite a bit and gets hit hard often. I'll see Dube play twice on the weekend and hopefully he performs. He hasn't done much against Nickel City yet this year.
I haven't watched Dube in a couple years but I hear good things. Aside from those 2 I am not sure who might stand out from the forwards. For defencemen Lavigne has good size and I hear good things. I have my opinion on a couple others but don't need to put it out here. I hope the NOHA team can add a couple of the minor midget wolves but I doubt that can happen. Really looking forward to the tournament for sure

Old
03-09-2011, 10:32 AM
srj81

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorth View Post
Gratton is way to small, dont even think he is 150lbs, goes to my school I think he plans on playing high school hockey next year. And Bilton is a big kid never seen him play though.
A gratton doesn't have much size at all but he is shifty, might put up good numbers in the NOJHL if he chooses that route

Old
03-09-2011, 12:17 PM
HockeyUser96

Quote:
Its not. No teams from there would make it.

How fair would that be that a team like South Central to make it, when a team like Whitby who made the finals of the ETA, doesnt.

Its also about what teams the OHL wants to see, so keep that in mind.

South Central has beaten York Simcoe , Elgin Middlesex , Halton , Barrie, Whitby so realistically they are the best team out of the potential ETA winner ... i was not saying that the winner of the ETA would make it to the OHL CUP ... South Central has Brycin Morisson (F) , Dylan Gartner (F) , and CJ Sharp (G) as propects , but i realize they will not make it to the OHL cup. I have seen enough of their games to tell you that they are quite a skilled team under a GREAT head coach (Mike Gartner).

HockeyUser96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
South Central has beaten York Simcoe , Elgin Middlesex , Halton , Barrie, Whitby so realistically they are the best team out of the potential ETA winner ... i was not saying that the winner of the ETA would make it to the OHL CUP ... South Central has Brycin Morisson (F) , Dylan Gartner (F) , and CJ Sharp (G) as propects , but i realize they will not make it to the OHL cup. I have seen enough of their games to tell you that they are quite a skilled team under a GREAT head coach (Mike Gartner).
The point was, and continues to be, how could the OHL invite the winner of the ETA regulation round and not invite the other finalist, which was the first point that was made.

You made this post....

Quote:
Its just not every happened in the last 4 years at the very latest. To my knowledge, there has never been an invite extended to the winner of the regulation round. Those teams lost in the first round, why reward them when they lost to a team like Kingston, who would not get an invite. Logically, it makes no sense.

Here is my view on how the OHL Cup will be

GTHL
Toronto Jr. Canadiens
Toronto Marlboros
Don Mills Flyers
Markham Majors
Mississauga Senators

OMHA - ETA
Barrie Colts
York Simcoe Express

OMHA - SCTA
Welland Tigers
St. Catheranes Falcons

ALLINACE
Waterloo Wolves
Elgin Middlesex Chiefs

Ottawa
Ottawa Valley Titans
Ottawa Jr 67's

Invites
TPH Thunder
Thunder Bay Kings
Sudbury Wolves (maybe)
GNML Wolves
1-2 of Whitby, Oakville and Halton
1 Alliance Invite

Old
03-09-2011, 04:33 PM
srj81

Quote:
The point was, and continues to be, how could the OHL invite the winner of the ETA regulation round and not invite the other finalist, which was the first point that was made.

You made this post....

Its just not every happened in the last 4 years at the very latest. To my knowledge, there has never been an invite extended to the winner of the regulation round. Those teams lost in the first round, why reward them when they lost to a team like Kingston, who would not get an invite. Logically, it makes no sense.

Here is my view on how the OHL Cup will be

GTHL
Toronto Jr. Canadiens
Toronto Marlboros
Don Mills Flyers
Markham Majors
Mississauga Senators

OMHA - ETA
Barrie Colts
York Simcoe Express

OMHA - SCTA
Welland Tigers
St. Catheranes Falcons

ALLINACE
Waterloo Wolves
Elgin Middlesex Chiefs

Ottawa
Ottawa Valley Titans
Ottawa Jr 67's

Invites
TPH Thunder
Thunder Bay Kings
Sudbury Wolves (maybe)
GNML Wolves
1-2 of Whitby, Oakville and Halton
1 Alliance Invite
just spoke to a parent from the Minor Wolves who said they are not going, for whatever it's worth

Old
03-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
just spoke to a parent from the Minor Wolves who said they are not going, for whatever it's worth
Thats surprising.

Opens up another spot for an invite. If they arnt going that may open the door for Whitby or another GTHL/Alliance invite