HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Palffy and Stumpel

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2005, 11:32 AM
deano

vCash: 500
Stumpel is above average to average, depending on the night. The guy hardly ever looks to shoot, and he can't handle the intensity of playoff type games. Do not sign him at any cost. He will waste a perfectly good roster position.

Old
07-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

Quote:
Originally posted by deano:
Stumpel is above average to average, depending on the night. The guy hardly ever looks to shoot, and he can't handle the intensity of playoff type games. Do not sign him at any cost. He will waste a perfectly good roster position.
You forgot to add that he cannot win a faceoff to save his life.

He's just like Glen Murray. Those 2 are perfect examples of what softness is about. Both are over 6'2, stocky, but never go thru players. Instead they try to go around them. Never lay the smack down on opposing players or check them, never take any type of punishment in front of the net.

Dustin Brown has more balls than those 2 put together.

D

Old
07-27-2005, 04:23 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

am i the only one who would unquestionably rather put in armstrong over stumpel? sure army isn't the most skilled player, but at least he aint' lazy. that and he has the heart of a soldier. if we sign stumpel, just as a few have already said, it's just another step into perpetual mediocrity. but i guess we can all get used to missing playofs and being in the #11-13 draft picks.

Old
07-27-2005, 04:37 PM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
am i the only one who would unquestionably rather put in armstrong over stumpel? sure army isn't the most skilled player, but at least he aint' lazy. that and he has the heart of a soldier. if we sign stumpel, just as a few have already said, it's just another step into perpetual mediocrity. but i guess we can all get used to missing playofs and being in the #11-13 draft picks.
Agreed! I love the way Army plays the game. He was by far one of the best players on the ice most of the season. The only thing he doesn't have is the popular name tag. Even when I took a soccer buddy of mine, who doesn't even watch hockey, said that he stood out the most. His puck possession skills are top notch. If Stumpel gets signed you're right! "PERPETUAL MEDIOCRITY" can be their new marketing campaign!

Old
07-28-2005, 10:01 AM
jt

I'm not exactly a Stumpel "fan" and I like Army alot, in fact, I really have no problems with him on the 2nd line and Conroy on the 1st line in terms of talent and play on the ice.

But I think some folks are forgetting the great chemistry Stumpel and Palffy have when they're healthy. Check their Czech league stats this season and what they did in international tournaments...they really create something special sometimes.

Having said that, I don't want either one of them back. IMO, neither one is the kind of player I want the Kings kids learning from. I want guys like Conroy, Army, Klatt and Luc...guys who will teach the kids how to get the most out of themselves and their teammates and that working hard ALL the time is what it takes to make it on the Kings. Would I rather have Naslund and Forsberg? Sure. But the odds of getting those guys isn't very good and I would NOT pick up the next best players just because they happen to be the next best players. I want the RIGHT guys on the team...not just an assemblage of talent.

Old
07-28-2005, 10:48 AM
guzmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt
I'm not exactly a Stumpel "fan" and I like Army alot, in fact, I really have no problems with him on the 2nd line and Conroy on the 1st line in terms of talent and play on the ice.

But I think some folks are forgetting the great chemistry Stumpel and Palffy have when they're healthy. Check their Czech league stats this season and what they did in international tournaments...they really create something special sometimes.

Having said that, I don't want either one of them back. IMO, neither one is the kind of player I want the Kings kids learning from. I want guys like Conroy, Army, Klatt and Luc...guys who will teach the kids how to get the most out of themselves and their teammates and that working hard ALL the time is what it takes to make it on the Kings. Would I rather have Naslund and Forsberg? Sure. But the odds of getting those guys isn't very good and I would NOT pick up the next best players just because they happen to be the next best players. I want the RIGHT guys on the team...not just an assemblage of talent.
Concur.
The Kings are not out to ruin our lives on a personal level or a general level. They have proved to me many times they are thinking. Making good choices to deal with the problems at hand. DT saying that Stumpel would be 3rd line if brought back made me feel a lot better about Jozef. I don't want to be blackmailed by Ziggy into taking Jozef but if he fills a need identified by DT and we can get him at say 1.25 or 1.5 mill, he's "on the bus". IF we go with these guys, they were chosen over all the other guys like them who are available, and for reasons we can only speculate on, in our disconnected and amateur ways. They have been hired for specific reasons we may never know. Will we get everybody any one of us wants for the team? Uhuh. (no). Will we get who's available reasonably priced and fits the organization's mold? Ahuh, (yep).

So what if we got Demitra, Palffy and Stumpel, a backup Gman of adequate quality, and maybe a second tier stay at home mobile Dman like, say, Wesley. Would that, added to who can make the team from Manchester, create a team that would crush all your dreams? Would that team be competative? Yes they aren't huge upfront, but will that be how the game is played in the "new" NHL? It would be just our luck though to aquire a team that is tooled to the new rules, and be doing really well, and the league start changing back to "old" rules. Still DT has to make the strategic, chemistry, and monetary decisions based on he knows and speculates will happen. I think we're in good hands. Just lay back and groove with the hockey.

Last edited by guzmania: 07-28-2005 at 11:02 AM.
Old
07-28-2005, 10:59 AM
dafranchz

Just curious...is the Ziggy and Josef topic officially going to replace the "what about" Allison and Deader topic?

Old
07-28-2005, 11:16 AM
guzmania

This is KZIG-FM, all Ziggy, all the time.

Old
07-28-2005, 12:35 PM
jt

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmaniac
for reasons we can only speculate on, in our disconnected and amateur ways...
I just had to say that this phrase cracked me up. It's so true it should be the caption above every post on every hockey board I've ever seen.

BTW, I agree with the rest of your post too.

Old
07-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt
BTW, I agree with the rest of your post too.
jt...are you sick? I mean, you're agreeing with someone different from yourself!

LMAO...Sorry, but I couldn't resist buddy...J/K!

Old
07-28-2005, 12:44 PM
Face Wash

I'm pretty sure that unless Stumpel is willing to be a depth player at less than $1 mil that he's not going to be wearing a kings uni anytime soon.

Closed Thread