HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vancouver - The US Connection?

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2005, 09:06 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

vCash: 500
Vancouver - The US Connection?

Maybe it's an effort to build a Seattle fanbase, maybe it's just a coincidence and I have my tinfoil hat on too tight.

If we draft Jack Skille this year, though, that'll be three straight American-born first-round picks (Kesler, Schneider) and also Mike Brown in the system.

I know shared nationality helps to form dressing room chemistry.

Is there anything to this? thoughts?

Old
07-27-2005, 09:14 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Nothing to this at all. They're just drafting players they feel will be good for their team in the future. Like any club.

Old
07-27-2005, 09:21 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
maybe it's just a coincidence
That's what it is.

Old
07-27-2005, 11:08 PM
Narg

I noticed that aswell...Umberger don't forget

Old
07-27-2005, 11:35 PM
ArtG

a Seattle fan base? what a joke.

I'll believe it when someone in Seattle can name 3 players on the Canucks let alone our last 3 first rounders...

Old
07-28-2005, 01:55 AM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
Maybe it's an effort to build a Seattle fanbase, maybe it's just a coincidence and I have my tinfoil hat on too tight.

If we draft Jack Skille this year, though, that'll be three straight American-born first-round picks (Kesler, Schneider) and also Mike Brown in the system.

I know shared nationality helps to form dressing room chemistry.

Is there anything to this? thoughts?
If we take Skille, it'll be four straight American first rounders. Umberger, Kesler, Schneider, Skille.

Old
07-28-2005, 02:03 AM
ZombieMatt

I don't think it has anything to do with trying to establish a fan base in Seattle and Washington, but more to do with the GM having a heck of a lot of trust in the Canucks scouts in the US. We MAY see a move away from this with Nonis stepping in.

Old
07-28-2005, 02:13 AM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt MacInnis
I don't think it has anything to do with trying to establish a fan base in Seattle and Washington, but more to do with the GM having a heck of a lot of trust in the Canucks scouts in the US. We MAY see a move away from this with Nonis stepping in.
I'm not sure that's a good thing, unless Nonis revamps the scouting staff. The Canadian picks over the last decade have been pretty bad.

Old
07-28-2005, 02:18 AM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
The American players have treated the Canucks well lately, I'd go back there again with Skille.

Old
07-28-2005, 02:40 AM
orcatown

I think it may be an indication of the improving nature of American hockey. Be nice if we could continue the tradition and draft Kessel next year

Old
07-28-2005, 02:49 AM
ZombieMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad
I'm not sure that's a good thing, unless Nonis revamps the scouting staff. The Canadian picks over the last decade have been pretty bad.
True...but how bad have the US first rounder picks been? So far they all look to be progressing at a reasonable/expected rate.

I'd be shocked if the team passed on Jack Skille if he was available...but the question is if he will be gone beforehand, which most people seem to expect.

Old
07-28-2005, 04:15 AM
Scheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown
I think it may be an indication of the improving nature of American hockey. Be nice if we could continue the tradition and draft Kessel next year
It would be nice if we had absolutely no chance of drafting Kessel next year.

Old
07-28-2005, 04:29 AM
orcatown

Well if they use the same format as this year ... and the balls fall exactly right...
Next year we might see everyone crossing their figures and toes in the Kessel derby.

Old
07-28-2005, 11:46 AM
Impossibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown
Well if they use the same format as this year ... and the balls fall exactly right...
Next year we might see everyone crossing their figures and toes in the Kessel derby.
Except they aren't doing the same draft lottery.

Like somebody else said, I think this is more an indicator at how much the US program has improved.

Old
07-28-2005, 01:54 PM
Shy Cheetah

Isn't this the Devil's tactic? Draft a college bound player to allow him to develop longer (not having to sign him right away to avoid re-entering the draft). It gives us a few more years before he has to be signed. But with the new CBA any college bound player becomes a ufa as soon as his class graduates so drafting them won't have this advantage anymore. Shy.

Old
07-28-2005, 02:35 PM
rigger

it is not an attempt to develop an american fan base. To think that people would come from seattle to watch games live is hopeful at best. There is not a huge hockey market there. They don't have much of a minor/junior (aside from the t birds), but local development is almost non existent. Is there a current NHLer born and raised in Seattle or washington as a whole. Besides they have a bigger fan base then most here in the lower mainlands. It is merely coincidence that the nucks have drafted americans and also a tribute to the recent improvement of the american hockey programs starting at a younger age. Good to see them take our game and develop more of a following in the states. It will only help with sponsorship and endorsements and television revenues. Just my 2 cents.

Closed Thread