HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs fans protest ideas against NHL *Check OP* (Protest at Bell Centre on Tuesday)

View Poll Results: Are you attending this rally?
Yes 7 5.79%
No 97 80.17%
No, but I support it 17 14.05%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2011, 07:38 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
From an outsider point of view, this is exactly how I feel - Your fan base reaction to this incident makes you look bad. I'm sure majority won't care what I'm saying, but there is no reason to split hairs about Canadian/American hockey differences or how the NHL makes their decisions.

This wasn't the first time someone has been getting the taste of the end of the glass (see example Smyth, Ryan), nor it will be the last one. I have hit it in junior level as well and it happens so quickly, that you can't define was it intentional or not. Only way to stop these is to change the design of the arenas, example move that center ice glass backwards, so that players can ride opponents out without the fear of getting someone into the glass.

But most of all I do hope you guys cool down and look it outside your team's point of view. You'll see there is no consipiracy against the Canadiens and it was a right call to make. We can't look every incident through the result, otherwise hockey as we know will change to a no-contact sport.
No it was not the right call to make, Patches came out and openly said he felt like he was targeted, and i'm sick of watching players like Patches and Crosby get injured because of stupid BS like this. The spoke to only Chara and this league has a players father as a disciplinarian, when Gaineys son was trying to join the Stars he stepped down because it was too much a conflict of interest. He may leave the room but if anyone has ever worked in a situation like that you don't **** the boss at the end of the day. I personally do not care what you think, our fanbase is massive and can actually place pressure onto the NHL. If that means writing to the government to have them step in and clean this **** up I will I'll write to my local MP and have him look into it, and despite what you may think the 6 franchises north of the border singlehandedly are probably keeping another 5 or more afloat. So if the canadian government says fix this **** they will make them fix it.

Old
03-10-2011, 07:43 AM
PhysicX

Quote:
From an outsider point of view, this is exactly how I feel - Your fan base reaction to this incident makes you look bad. I'm sure majority won't care what I'm saying, but there is no reason to split hairs about Canadian/American hockey differences or how the NHL makes their decisions.

This wasn't the first time someone has been getting the taste of the end of the glass (see example Smyth, Ryan), nor it will be the last one. I have hit it in junior level as well and it happens so quickly, that you can't define was it intentional or not. Only way to stop these is to change the design of the arenas, example move that center ice glass backwards, so that players can ride opponents out without the fear of getting someone into the glass.

But most of all I do hope you guys cool down and look it outside your team's point of view. You'll see there is no consipiracy against the Canadiens and it was a right call to make. We can't look every incident through the result, otherwise hockey as we know will change to a no-contact sport.
There's a HUGE difference between 'clean hits' and an attempt to HURT or INJURE! I'm tired of us fans explaining to outsiders the situation between the Bruins/Habs & Pacioretty/Chara! Fact is there's a lot of evidence pointing towards intent to HURT or INJURE! We can't compare the Smyth incident to Pacioretty, because there's a lot of differences!

Old
03-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:

The thing that you don't realize is that this reaction is not to Chara's gesture - the reaction is to the 0 suspension from the league.

Stuff like this happens, I agree - we are not mad because it happened. But if the league gave Chara a 2-3 games suspension, nothing fancy - there would be almost no reaction from anyone.

However, this is the nth time it happens: a good player is injured on the ice with an intentional gesture and the league officially says it was ok. See Booth and Savard as precedents. Not to mention Crosby and the others.

The reaction is not to Chara - it's to Campbell and his gang.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:10 AM
HabsByTheBay

Go after sponsors. They hold the purse strings, and they'll be the ones most wary of bad PR. Tell them you are reconsidering your relationship to their product (and you always tell them you LOVE their product and buy it all the time) because of their involvement with a league that sanctions a player breaking another player's neck.

Get them reconsidering their relationship to the league and you'll effect some real change.

Or just riot.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:10 AM
PhysicX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew76 View Post
If you can get a tough guy or three in the lineup for the Bruin's game and get a few good shots in on Chara in a traditional hockey fight or legal bodycheck, then great! The ultimate payback would be to meet the Bruin's in the playoffs and knock them out. That would hurt the B's more than anything else you could come up with.
That'll simply lead to an ever-ending cycle... Not our style and we've got more class than Zednik or Pacioretty cheapshots...

And please you sound so ridiculous with your Pacioretty jump and to protect himself from a voluntary shove towards the turnbuckle... And YES HE KNOWS better than any of us here what Chara's intent could have been, so get lost!

Old
03-10-2011, 08:13 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:

Although I felt the thread made us look bad, my post wasn't to be used as a way to say I'm fine with the hit and the fact there were no suspensions.

That is completely out of whack and the NHL needs to change the way they do these rulings.. or simply change the rules. No way in hell should a guy be able to push another guy head first into the stanchion, boards or any other hard surface. That's just crazy stuff. And blaming the stanchion is like blaming a cliff for someone being pushed off of it. The cliff ain't doing the pushing just like the stanchion was doing the shove at precisely the right time. Chara lost his temper, he lost his cool and was absolved by the league but shouldn't have been.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Neutrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
The thing that you don't realize is that this reaction is not to Chara's gesture - the reaction is to the 0 suspension from the league.

Stuff like this happens, I agree - we are not mad because it happened. But if the league gave Chara a 2-3 games suspension, nothing fancy - there would be almost no reaction from anyone.

However, this is the nth time it happens: a good player is injured on the ice with an intentional gesture and the league officially says it was ok. See Booth and Savard as precedents. Not to mention Crosby and the others.

The reaction is not to Chara - it's to Campbell and his gang.
Exactly, it's more symbolic than factual...

Wrote this on the main board :

"I think at this point the different arguments are converging towards something bigger, I guess we'll see the amplitude of the movement in the next few days if it's the case. But who better to rally a cause than the passionate Habs fans ? If this is what it took to make some things move in the NHL offices so be it, of course it's confusing for everybody since all these concepts and events are interwoven. We hear about players and GMs being concerned, people are riled up, Air Canada issues a statement about their sponsorship and now it's getting serious. It's all moving really fast and the divide in the hockey community has never been more real.

I can't tell yet if it's serious or not but there sure is more to it than just a semi-sterile debate on HFboards going down at the moment. I think there's a noticeable part of the hockey world that is tired of waiting for the NHL 2.0, boy change is suuuuuuure scary for grey-haired businessmen and it ain't coming fast... Are we gonna stay with the old historic ways, or embrace the new talent and skills once and for all ? You have a river of young confident (cocky) players flowing into a sea of threatened veterans, what do you think is gonna happen ? And since you can't tear a kid's head off without raising substantial concern a clash is bound to happen."

Old
03-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

1- Next home game, everyone brings a sign. Not just a few fans, but 21,273 fans with signs. Get the media involved.

2- Then, boycott any NHL sponsor, game sponsor. Money talks. Air Canada is putting pressure, this would ensure that others follow suit.

3- Flood the NHL's email and mail boxes with complaints.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:21 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
How what the OP suggests will hurt the NHL more then it would hurt the Habs I do not know. People have to find smarter ways to show their displeasure, email all the clowns at NHL HQ, don't buy NHL products or go watch games in other NHL rinks.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:29 AM
HabbyGilmore
Best man for the job

Send a message via MSN to HabbyGilmore
Ummmmmmmmmm.... Montreal isn't THAT comfortable in their position in the standings.. the Boston game could be an important game for the Habs.. you can't just forfeit

Old
03-10-2011, 08:34 AM
JustAHabFan

In another thread on our board, we have EMAIL address of companies like Air Canada, Tim Hortons, Bell, Molson, etc which sponsor the NHL. We also have some EMAIL content template. We starts to send EMAIL to these companies asking them to cut ties with the NHL and we will also start to boycott their product. This is where you hurt the NHL: cut its money supply. I encourage all Habs' fans and any fans who want to see a lees violent NHL to send EMAIL to these companies.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:36 AM
CHCl3

Just going out for warmups with every player wearing a Pacioretty jersey would make quite a big impression.

Not sure the league would be thrilled with that.
(And that's the point.)

Old
03-10-2011, 08:37 AM
JedYzerman

To forfeit a game would be dumb.

The NHL has already said the in-game penalty was enough punishment for Chara. To be honest MaxPac was a little at fault too. I don't understand why forwards are constantly keeping there head down and not looking for that big hit coming in. Yeah it was delayed and he got rid of the puck already. But MaxPac's head was looking down the entire time while in center ice!

Personally i think the NHL handled the situation accordingly. Chara never demonstrated the intention to knock the guy into the cross bar like that. And i'm sure Chara "feels really bad" about it.

Point being. Move on. Regroup and secure that play off spot. I wanna see a philly/habs rematch.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:38 AM
Top Corner2

Ok Enough Talk Lets Pick A Sponsor & Stop Buying It

HERE ARE THE NHL SPONSORS:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26370

Here is a list of some of the notable sponsors:

Mcdonald's
Energizer
Canadian Tire
Reebok
Gatorade

Let's pick one. Can somebody write up an explanation in this thread so we can e-mail it & facebook it to everyone we know?

I vote we boycott gatorade

let's all drink something else until the league cleans up this mess.

Remember we need to get this going on facebook. I'm crap at that can someone start a page & we can send it out?

Old
03-10-2011, 08:40 AM
Claimed Off Waivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHCl3 View Post
Just going out for warmups with every player wearing a Pacioretty jersey would make quite a big impression.

Not sure the league would be thrilled with that.
(And that's the point.)
I agree with this. Don't forfeit, I'd rather see the Habs to destroy them on the scoreboard on their own ice.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:43 AM
Andy

Reebok would probably be the best target since they are heavily associated with the nhl.

What do you want written in the facebook write up?

I'm a very good writer when its time to write serious stuff, I don't mind doing one.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:43 AM
JustAHabFan

In another thread on our board, we have EMAIL address of companies like Air Canada, Tim Hortons, Bell, Molson, etc which sponsor the NHL. We also have some EMAIL content template. We starts to send EMAIL to these companies asking them to cut ties with the NHL and we will also start to boycott their product. This is where you hurt the NHL: cut its money supply. I encourage all Habs' fans and any fans who want to see a lees violent NHL to send EMAIL to these companies.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:45 AM
OpenIceHit

For those who says that we are not strong enough to change things, that we don't have what it takes. I just want to demonstrate how influential the Canadian teams SHOULD be if it wasn't for this Bettman Clown League. The Montreal Canadiens alone have an average TV audience of almost 1,000,000 viewers per game. And I'm not talking about the other canadian teams. Look at the TV audience in the US (at the bottom of the page) :

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...L-ratings.aspx

The highest is the Penguins with 100,000 and the lowests are real jokes with 3,000 in Florida, 6,000 in Atlanta, 9,000 in Pheonix and so on. The Montreal Canadiens alone has almost as much as the 24 US teams altogether.

So we have to keep our mouths shut? We should let Bettman continue to ruin this league? We should let them change the game to accomodate the Americans? NO! That's our game and we should manage it our way. We shoud not let these corrupted blood thisty people destroy it. Let's be representative and give the game to the people who deserves it and know what the game is all about.

Look at this article and tell me this league is not a joke :

http://www.nesn.com/2011/02/florida-...ns-and-in.html

We have to support **** like that? We have to share our revenue for them? We are in the same category as Doodlebops?

NHL's gone too far. Let's show them where the money is.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:45 AM
JustAHabFan

Can any mod create a stickies so that we can list the name of the companies sponsor the NHL, its EMAIL address, and EMAIL content template?

Old
03-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Patccmoi

Here's a list of sponsors and politicians and some draft letters that can be used in order to contact them about this issue and show that we care, as customers, about how they are dealing with this issue.

Air Canada's stance on this gives us a unique opportunity to push things in the good direction.

Everyone please take a few minutes to send this around and email all of them.

Thanks!

---------

NHL Sponsors :

Air Canada : media@aircanada.ca
Molson Coors : mcbcmedia@molsoncoors.com
Ford : https://secure.corporate.ford.com/fo...Topic=flmowner (can't find a straight email, this is their question/comment form)
Visa : askvisacanada@visa.com
Tim Hortons : customer_service@timhortons.com
Reebok : http://www.reebok.com/US/customer-service/contact-us
Canadian Tire : http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/co...34374303522191
Gatorade : http://cr.gatorade.com/usen/gatusen.cfm?date=20110310
Energizer : http://www.energizer.com/pages/enr-contact.aspx
McDonald's : http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/conta...vertising.html

Prime Minister Stephen Harper : pm@pm.gc.ca
Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff: Ignatieff.M@parl.gc.ca
Bloc leader Gilles Duceppe: Duceppe.G@parl.gc.ca
NPD leader Jack Layton : Layton.J@parl.gc.ca

Example of Draft letters I could get my hands on:

--------

To Air Canada,

I am e-mailing you to thank you for taking a courageous stand against the NHL's recent failures to police itself properly, specifically as it pertains to the complete lack of supplementary discipline for Zdeno Chara's hit on Max Pacioretty.

I ask you to remain consistent with that stand and to pull out of your sponsorship deal with the NHL if they do not rescind their decision to not suspend Zdeno Chara within the next 48 hours.

It is important for the sport that Canadians love from coast to coast to be seen as one that is safe for kids to play in, and to grow up to be professional players in should they have the desire to do so.

To that end, I fully support you in continuing to put pressure on the NHL to better police itself.

Thank you,

<Insert Name Here>

---------

To <Insert Company Name Here>,

Recent actions by the NHL's head offices leave me questioning your decision to be associated with the NHL through a sponsorship deal. The NHL has shown a lack of concern over the safety of its own players, which I hope does not reflect your own views on occupational health and safety.

I ask that you pull out of your sponsorship deal with the NHL, as Air Canada has recently threatened to do themselves. Otherwise, you may lose me as a customer.

Thank you for your time,

<Insert Name Here>

---------

Dear Mr. Ignatieff,

I am sending you this e-mail to applaud your courageous stand on the NHL's appalling lack of supplementary discipline over the Zdeno Chara hit on Max Pacioretty.

I greatly appreciate and thank you for quickly moving on this issue as many Canadians are passionate about hockey, and want to see a good clean and safe sport to play in.

I agree with you that head-shots are getting out of control in the NHL, and that the NHL needs to start doing something about it. If they don't, I fully support you in any efforts you make to have Parliament take action on this file.

Again, thank you!

--------

Dear

I am writing concerning your involvement with the NHL.

As a hockey fan, I am profoundly saddened by the direction that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and league disciplinarian Colin Campbell are taking the game I love. Their stubborn attempts to transplant the game into markets traditionally dominated by football, baseball or basketball, has been characterized by violence-themed publicity campaigns, and it now seems that for every new, informed hockey fan, there are a dozen bloodthirsty louts.

Pandering to this group, the league has been dangerously negligent in punishing players whose reckless play has caused serious injuries.

I point to a March 8 game, in which Boston player Zdeno Chara checked Montreal player Max Pacioretty into a stanchion. Pacioretty suffered a severe concussion and fractured vertebrae. Chara was assessed a major penalty and game misconduct for the foul, but after review the NHL disciplinary committee elected not to impose any suspension, fine, or other punishment. Chara can suit up for Boston's next game. Pacioretty, 22, may never play hockey again. There are many other examples of insufficient punishment for on-ice violence causing serious injury this season. I am deeply disappointed at the message this sends to NHL players, fans, and the millions of children playing hockey.

I can no longer bear to watch my beautiful game being transformed into something ugly. And so, as long as Bettman & Campbell are running the league, I will avoid all products and services associated with NHL sponsors such as yourself. This is not because I am angry at your company, it is because I believe Bettman & Campbell like money much more than they like hockey, and this is the only statement they might understand.

Sincerely,

Last edited by Patccmoi: 03-10-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old
Pascal

Good stuff.. even if it's a small amount of people it still hurts. I usually buy RBK sticks and next time I won't. I emailed all the sponsors.

Last edited by Pascal: 03-10-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Mcdonald's - Eat Harvey's. It's better.
Energizer - Duracell FTW!
Canadian Tire - Never went there anyways.
Reebok - Don't buy their stuff anyways.
Gatorade - Powerade, beetch!

Problem solved.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:50 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
Can any mod create a stickies so that we can list the name of the companies sponsor the NHL, its EMAIL address, and EMAIL content template?
Unfortunately, we aren't allowed anymore stickies. But if someone writes up everything needed (like Overlords said last night), we will edit the first post of this thread (likely with a title change highlighting that) and make sure people know the info is in Post #1.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:51 AM
Top Corner2

cool let's do this also. do you have those e-mails? Can you put themm here so we can add them to facebook?

The facebook page...maybe something simple like: Send the NHL a message for the Chara assault.

Make it an event page so that people can say attend if they will stop drinking gatorade & buying reebok until they clean up their mess. Also include the e-mail addresses mentioned.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Unfortunately, we aren't allowed anymore stickies. But if someone writes up everything needed (like Overlords said last night), we will edit the first post of this thread (likely with a title change highlighting that) and make sure people know the info is in Post #1.
Is what I just posted good for it? I also PMed overlords.

Also, as a mod, would it be considered as spamming or anything if I put a post in various other team boards regarding this? This is far bigger imo than the Pacioretty-Chara incident, and Air Canada's threat gives us a unique opportunity to act.

Closed Thread