HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Looking back at the Gagne trade.

Old
03-10-2011, 07:23 AM

vCash: 50
Looking back at the Gagne trade.

I know this was discussed a lot at the time and considerably since but we're now at a point where we can legitimately look back at the trade with a critical eye.

For me, it was a gamble that's paid off for Holmgren. Gagne was a fan favourite for sure but he's had a pretty dreadful year for an offensively talented team in Tampa. His injuries have continued and he's managed a paltry 22 points. There's no guarantee that this form would have been replicated if he'd stayed here but for the sake of the argument we have to presume it would.

Walker was a scrub in the trade and he's been as dire as expected but it's the cost that worked for me. He's basically given us the opportunity to get Zherdev (almost matched his production for $3m less) and most of Meszaros.

Was a good move for me, well done Holmgren.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 07:36 AM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Still would have preferred to keep Gagne on the expiring contract, but Homer's moves on the cap space were needed and Meszaros has been a nice depth acquisition.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 07:39 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I thought Holmgren could have received more for Gagne, but it was clear at the time that moving Gagne was nothing more than a salary dump. I will say this though - it would not surprise me in the off season if the Flyers did go after and sign Gagne. No, he won't get a 5 million dollar a year contract, but it's very possible he could get 2.5 to 3 million a year to come back and if he does, I could see putting him on a line with Richards and Versteeg.......

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 07:54 AM
phillyfanatic

Loved it then, Love it know. Gagne was an injury prone 20 goal scorer at 5 million a year. Would I love to have Gagne on this team? Yes - at 2 million. He needed to be moved to allow us to improve our D, as simple as that.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:13 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I thought Holmgren could have received more for Gagne, but it was clear at the time that moving Gagne was nothing more than a salary dump. I will say this though - it would not surprise me in the off season if the Flyers did go after and sign Gagne. No, he won't get a 5 million dollar a year contract, but it's very possible he could get 2.5 to 3 million a year to come back and if he does, I could see putting him on a line with Richards and Versteeg.......
I would take Gagne back, but at no more than $3m

However, I don't think it's possible cap wise unless we move Carle or Coburn and I don't see Holmgren doing that

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:19 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Moving Gagne sucks, but being able to fit Meszaros has been amazing, so it worked out. I really wish we could have gotten more for Simon, but with his NTC and his pricey contract, that's about as much as anyone could have hoped for.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:22 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Looking at the team now, they're way stronger than last year because they moved Gagne. No regrets with this move. If he can finds a way back next year for cheap to end his career as a Flyer I'd gladly welcome him back.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:23 AM
Jester

We could have fit Gagne and Meszaros and not lost any of the important parts to this team... we then would have had an expiring contract gone from the books going into next year. As opposed to the **** sandwich that is Walker's contract.

Shelley and Zherdev alone gets you more than half Gagne's salary... and there's no doubt in my mind come May, you'd much rather have Gagne on this team.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
That is the thing right now, on defense they look very solid but the one area where they lack the depth is on the LW which is a key piece to Laviolette's gameplan.

Imagine going into the playoffs with this lineup of fwds?

HBL
JvR-Giroux-Carter
Gagne-Richards-Versteeg
Any combination of, Carcillo-Powe-Betts-Shelley-Nodl

Old
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
Moving Gagne sucks, but being able to fit Meszaros has been amazing, so it worked out. I really wish we could have gotten more for Simon, but with his NTC and his pricey contract, that's about as much as anyone could have hoped for.
In the end, since they waived Walker, we got exactly what we needed: Cap relief.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
We could have fit Gagne and Meszaros and not lost any of the important parts to this team... we then would have had an expiring contract gone from the books going into next year. As opposed to the **** sandwich that is Walker's contract.
And a bum in Zherdev.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:25 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
In the end, since they waived Walker, we got exactly what we needed: Cap relief.
He'll be back next year.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:36 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
He'll be back next year.
Just depends on the numbers.

Z is gone, barring the cap goes up $2 million, that's $5.9 million to work with. Carcillo, Nodl, and Powe are RFA's, I'd keep Nodl and Powe. Leino will want at least $2.5 million. Unless they want to run with Bartulis, O'Donnell or Boynton will need to be signed.

Not saying it's doable, I think it is, just I don't think Gagne will be getting $5 million again, especially if the Flyers go deep in the playoffs (plus I don't know how bonuses are but if some roll over to next year, that'll effect it too).

I think they'll get it done.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:38 AM
Jester

Quote:
Just depends on the numbers.

Z is gone, barring the cap goes up $2 million, that's $5.9 million to work with. Carcillo, Nodl, and Powe are RFA's, I'd keep Nodl and Powe. Leino will want at least $2.5 million. Unless they want to run with Bartulis, O'Donnell or Boynton will need to be signed.

Not saying it's doable, I think it is, just I don't think Gagne will be getting $5 million again, especially if the Flyers go deep in the playoffs (plus I don't know how bonuses are but if some roll over to next year, that'll effect it too).

I think they'll get it done.
I was talking about Walker and his idiotic contract.

I'll be shocked if Gagne is back next year.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:40 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
When they traded him my first thought was that it wouldnt be long until they resign him once his contract is up.
Then I tried to think of any player the FLyers have brought back in, and couldnt.

Last edited by JagerPuck: 03-10-2011 at 09:27 AM.
JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:41 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
I was talking about Walker and his idiotic contract.

I'll be shocked if Gagne is back next year.
Oh. Well I sure as hell hope not. Although I can see it happening unless, like I said, they want to run with Bartulis.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Cartsiephan*

I know I have done this previously but here is another way to look at the moves Homer has made:

Steve Eminger & 2008 3rd Rounder (Jacob Deserres) Washington Capitals 2008 1st Rounder(John Carlson)

Matt Carle & San Jose Sharks’ 2009 3rd rounder (Simon Bertilsson) Tampa Bay Lightning Steve Eminger, Steve Downie and Tampa Bay’s 2009 4th rounder (previously acquired)

Andrej Meszaros Tampa Bay Lightning 2011 2nd Rounder

Reverse these deal and this is what they would have in the lineup today prior to the Versteeg deal and of course a lot of hypotheticals, but....:

Hartnell(4.2)-Briere(6.5)-Leino(.800)
Gagne(5.25)-Giroux(.822)-Carter(5.0)
JvR(1.654)-Richards(5.75)-Downie(1.85)
Carcillo(1.075)-Betts(.700)-Shelley(1.1)

= $34.701 for starting 9

Carlson(.846)-Pronger(4.921)
Timonen(6.333)-Coburn(3.2)
Meszaros(4.0)-O'Donnell(1.3)

= $20.6 for top 6 D

Boucher(.925)-Bobrovsky(1.75)

= $2.675

Total salary = 57.976, space for 13th fwd and 7th d is $1.424(Bartulis and Powe = $1.325)

Old
03-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Jester

The Eminger trade turned bad quickly... an then was exacerbated by the follow-up deals that were made to "fix" it.

What's really frustrating? Meszaros was available that summer...

Old
03-10-2011, 09:07 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
The Eminger trade turned bad quickly... an then was exacerbated by the follow-up deals that were made to "fix" it.

I'll never understand the Eminger trade. I honestly thought the Flyers gave up on him too early because he was really starting to turn it around. As for Meszaros, not quite true that he was available. He was a restricted free agent that caught wind of what Tampa Bay was going to offer and he wanted the same contract from Ottawa, something Bryan Murray wasn't going to give.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:13 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
I had no problem with Gagne leaving, just what we got for him.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:15 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Oh. Well I sure as hell hope not. Although I can see it happening unless, like I said, they want to run with Bartulis.
He's saying he will be back, like guaranteed. No one is going to trade for that contract. So we will have to waive him again, and I don't believe we can waive him until a certain point, so it will inhibit us to some degree. (As well as just merely counting as 1 of our 50 contracts.)

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:16 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
And a bum in Zherdev.
who has scored more goals than Gagne with limited ice-time and worse line-mates

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:

The most frustrating part of the Eminger deal was that the rumor was Eminger was going to be available after the 7/1 date, something about a buyout or release, some loophole where he would have been a UFA I think??

Homer made the move because during the Caps series Eminger actually had a decent series, but he could have had him for nothing.

Old
03-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
who has scored more goals than Gagne with limited ice-time and worse line-mates
Gagne had a slow start, injured, etc. I would still take Gagne over Zherdev even at the difference of $3.25mill. The hole is on the LW, Gagne is a perfect fit for Laviolette's game.

Old
03-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Jester

Quote:
I'll never understand the Eminger trade. I honestly thought the Flyers gave up on him too early because he was really starting to turn it around. As for Meszaros, not quite true that he was available. He was a restricted free agent that caught wind of what Tampa Bay was going to offer and he wanted the same contract from Ottawa, something Bryan Murray wasn't going to give.
Ah, go back and read the paper reports. It was WIDELY reported that Meszaros was going to get dealt. Everyone knew he was available. I know this because I remember the discussion on this site concerning whether we should deal for him.