HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Player of the Game & The Good, The Bad, The Redden: Game #69 @ Anaheim Ducks

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: Game #69 @ Anaheim Ducks
Ryan Callahan 3 3.85%
Brandon Dubinsky 37 47.44%
Marian Gaborik 4 5.13%
Matt Gilroy 4 5.13%
Dan Girardi 0 0%
Henrik Lundqvist 2 2.56%
Ryan McDonagh 4 5.13%
Michael Sauer 2 2.56%
Marc Staal 0 0%
Mats Zuccarello 16 20.51%
Other 6 7.69%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-10-2011, 07:38 AM
HAPPY HOUR

vCash: 500
The Ducks should be called the Anaheim Power Forwards..

The GPR line just made the Rangers look silly. Love big teams that take the body and drive the net.

Hope they make the playoffs. I'll be rooting for them coming out of the West. If Hiller comes back. This team will be a very dangerous first round opponent.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 07:39 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEater View Post
I'm glad they felt so good getting on the plane for this trip, because when they get back on the plane Saturday night they are going to be coming back with zero points and the loss of their playoff spot. I wonder how they will feel then. Judging from tonights game I doubt they really give a ****.
It's frustrating for sure. How can you not build on a solid win against Philly? I don't get it. When the Ducks tied it up, we stopped playing... The unlucky bounces and deflections dosen't help either though.

Beating SJ will be hard and the guys certainly need to play better in all facets of the game. It sucks to see our playoff spot slip away so late in the season....

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 07:51 AM
HAPPY HOUR

No worries..
We'll have some home games coming up...
oh wait...

Old
03-10-2011, 07:53 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

The Ducks are a shining example of how to build a team in the post-lockout NHL. Big players who can skate, hit, AND be creative. It was pretty clear that we were being out-skated and over-matched physically from the get go.

03-10-2011, 08:01 AM
AJRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
It sucks to see our playoff spot slip away so late in the season....
Honestly, it's been slipping away for some time now...

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:02 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
Honestly, it's been slipping away for some time now...
It hasen't been that long. February killed us.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:04 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Well this time, if it comes down to a shoot out in the final game of the season, I'll like our chances..

Old
03-10-2011, 08:13 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
The Ducks are a shining example of how to build a team in the post-lockout NHL. Big players who can skate, hit, AND be creative. It was pretty clear that we were being out-skated and over-matched physically from the get go.
To be fair bunch of rooks and soph's, much younger team. there's a reason for games like this and it's legitamate. Let some of these guys grow into their bodies and skill sets a little more and I don't think we'll have this problem very often...plus most of THIS season we've normally been pushing others around so I can't really complain too much if that's the case. Ana is pretty good they looked solid as hell from what I watched. I might watch a little more when I get home.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:24 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I honestly thought we were going to gut out at least a point last night going in...

When they scored that first goal i said to myself "alright... we got the swagger back... now lets just concentrate on getting it deep, playing sound defense and getting out of the first with a lead".

Then, i dont know what happened. Its like someone threw a switch on for the Ducks and off for the Rangers at the same exact time.

And then the goals. Oh my god. I know the Rangers played like garbage but 3 goals like that? Then all the posts and open nets missed? I dont know what it is since the All-Star break... Did one of the Rangers sleep with one of the hockey god wives or something? Its getting a little ridiculous. The bounces just refuse to go their way in a majority of the games, and its not like a little bounce here or their, its like MAJOR bounces into their net.

This one really hurt. They had a really big opportunity to make some space for themselves. Its honestly going to get really tough finding a way into the playoffs, they just dont have the games. The absolutely need at least a point in that Sharks game, but the way they have been playing i seriously doubt well come back from this trip with anything.

Ugh. Oh man. Can we be good a team one of these years please? I'm just tired of these playoff races at the end of the year. They physically drain me. The rollercoaster ride continues...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:24 AM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

POTG: Me and everyone else on the east coast/Europe who stayed up and watched this ****show.

The Good: The Perry, Getzlaf, Bobby Ryan line.

The Bad: Every player on the Rangers. Pretty much no one showed up.

The Redden: Girardi/Staal. They got abused.

Man, what I wouldn't give to get Bobby Ryan on this team...

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:25 AM
Scooter17

Quote:
They missed the playoffs last year, finished 8th the year before, and are in danger of missing the playoffs this year. They have one dominating line, but their defense stinks and the rest of their forwards are average other than Selanne. Not to mention Perry and Getlaf were drafted before the lockout.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:27 AM
Colby
HFB Partner

I fully realize that all 3 first period goals deflected off Ranger players, but I think Hank has to find a way to stop 1 of those 3.

Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:28 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I dont know what it is since the All-Star break... Did one of the Rangers sleep with one of the hockey gods wife or something?.
LOL.

I don't think getting that break after the awful loss against the Panthers did us any good, honestly. It most certainly wasn't a game you want to have under your skin for a week...

Old
03-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Personally, I think Ducks have been massive underachievers this season. Ok, they played well last night and have generally played well lately, but they're still trying to force their way into the playoffs thanks to inconsistent performances from their go-to guys.

Re: defections - it struck me when I was watching highlights this morning that Ducks who made the deflections were pretty much uncovered. The Rangers did a very poor job of tying the guys up that were standing on the doorstep.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:38 AM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Getzlaf = powerforward, playmaking center, not as talented as Crosby, but can be just as effective. Big and physical as well

Ryan = powerforward, could be a 40-goal scorer soon, big and physical, can throw the body around.

Perry = two-way forward, one of the best players in the league as well.

Selanne = one of the best players in history, not a top 100 guy, but he's up there, AND he hasn't lost much of his talent, if any at all, in his old age.

Other than those four, I'm really not impressed with their roster. Getzlaf and Perry were from 2003, so that says something. Bobby Ryan was picked right after Crosby in 2005, and Selanne is just beastly. They also have a bunch of old veterans on their roster.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:42 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR21 View Post
I fully realize that all 3 first period goals deflected off Ranger players, but I think Hank has to find a way to stop 1 of those 3.
That's not a fair statement.

Henrik did what he could on those goals.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:42 AM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Bozak View Post
Except I don't pin this loss on the coach. Sure, if there was some game-plan, it might/might not have been executed but regardless, this game looked more like a mix between a typical 12:00 Sunday start and a bad regular start game. Don't like it.
His quote doesn't give me much hope that things will be different the next game. It was obvious we stunk, but it is your job to make sure that doesn't happen again. What is he going to do about it? Is he going to get this team to work on accuracy so they can learn to pick a corner with an empty net? Maybe crash the other teams net hard so we can score some dirty goals? Maybe he works with d-men specifically Girardi when defending a 2 on 1 or clearing the traffic out from in front of Hank? When will he work on changing things down low so we don't give up 2 deflection goals a game? What about the abysmal PP? Our top 4 d-men are playing too much, if you don't have faith in gilroy and McCabe insert eminger who can actually play defense so we don't wear out our top 4 because staal and girardi look tired. So what is Torts going to do?

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

POTG: no one
The good: dubinsky i guess
the bad: girardi, staal
the redden: the empty net miss that is now becoming standard. 3 goals let in off of our own players. seriously can we get any luck?

that whole sequence that led to the 4th goal just defined the rangers completely: we miss an empty net and they come back and score. i was speechless but i wasn't surprised in the slightest.

Ryan McDonut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:44 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Glad I went to sleep instead of watching that debacle.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Getzlaf = powerforward, playmaking center, not as talented as Crosby, but can be just as effective. Big and physical as well

Ryan = powerforward, could be a 40-goal scorer soon, big and physical, can throw the body around.

Perry = two-way forward, one of the best players in the league as well.

Selanne = one of the best players in history, not a top 100 guy, but he's up there, AND he hasn't lost much of his talent, if any at all, in his old age.

Other than those four, I'm really not impressed with their roster. Getzlaf and Perry were from 2003, so that says something. Bobby Ryan was picked right after Crosby in 2005, and Selanne is just beastly. They also have a bunch of old veterans on their roster.
yeah but thats 4 players who are going to put up around 70 points or higher. thats 4 more than we have...

Ryan McDonut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Scooter17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR21 View Post
Probably the second one. He had no chance on the other two.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:55 AM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi17 View Post
yeah but thats 4 players who are going to put up around 70 points or higher. thats 4 more than we have...
Gaborik last year had 86 points, this year is the worst of his career, and he can only get better. He's one.

Last year, Prospal had about 60 points.

The year before that, Gomez, Drury and Zherdev were all a point or so away from 60.

Points don't mean much (look at the Predators, who have a great defensive system and a great defense in place).

Old
03-10-2011, 08:59 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Gaborik last year had 86 points, this year is the worst of his career, and he can only get better.
The problem with this is his production is predicated on him being healthy and that's something that you can't be certain will happen. Or can happen.

03-10-2011, 09:10 AM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter17 View Post
Probably the second one. He had no chance on the other two.

On the first goal, Lundqvist was covering the left post, which left the whole right side exposed, which is exactly what goalies are supposed to do, when the play is to their side or behind them. Girardi covered the right side, but was out just far enough for Perry to deflect it off him. It is neither on Lundqvist or Girardi, as that was a pretty standard play on defense.

On the second goal, if I remember correctly it deflected of Staal, who was a few feet in front of him. Lundqvist was in position to save it, but got beat by the deflection, he was also screened well in my opinion.

On the third goal, it was deflected off Anisimov's stick (I swear Anisimov has been cursed lately). It knuckleballed on Lundqvist, but he got a piece of the puck, which just so happened to find the inch or two high opening between Lundqvist's shoulders and the crossbar.

I think his best chance was the third one and he was able to get to it, but there is absolutely no way that puck finds and opening that small and goes in on most days.

Old
03-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
We have an anemic offense and a defense that the Mighty Ducks from the first movie could score on. If Hank was an average goalie we'd have like 30 points.
We've won more often when Biron was in the net on a percentage basis. Hank is great in shootouts but other than that he is average; not bad. Average and he's not stealing too many games; if any.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote