2011 Minor Midget OHL Draft (Part II)

Old
03-09-2011, 04:43 PM
srj81

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Thats surprising.

Opens up another spot for an invite. If they arnt going that may open the door for Whitby or another GTHL/Alliance invite
Ya, the talk up north is that the NOHA wouldn't give the minor Wolves a travel grant, but I suppose that could just be talk. I wonder if there's any chance of the Ottawa Sens getting a wildcard?
Will you be at the OHL cup tigers?

srj81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by srj81 View Post
Ya, the talk up north is that the NOHA wouldn't give the minor Wolves a travel grant, but I suppose that could just be talk. I wonder if there's any chance of the Ottawa Sens getting a wildcard?
Will you be at the OHL cup tigers?
The Senators would probably be in the mix as well.

That would be sad if that was the case, I would hope the OHL would step in in that situation. I understand some of the issues that NOHA had with the Wolves, but its a great program that I think has really helped some of the Sudbury kids development. Hate to see it punnished, but as you said, could simply be talk.

Ill deffinetly be there.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 04:53 PM
srj81

Quote:
The Senators would probably be in the mix as well.

That would be sad if that was the case, I would hope the OHL would step in in that situation. I understand some of the issues that NOHA had with the Wolves, but its a great program that I think has really helped some of the Sudbury kids development. Hate to see it punnished, but as you said, could simply be talk.

Ill deffinetly be there.
ya who knows what is going to happen. I think they should keep the program but improvements have to be made. They were only getting one practice a week, and I think they have to be allowed into the GNML, but the GNML doesn't make changes for noone

Old
03-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by srj81 View Post
ya who knows what is going to happen. I think they should keep the program but improvements have to be made. They were only getting one practice a week, and I think they have to be allowed into the GNML, but the GNML doesn't make changes for noone
I know other posters are better versed on this then me, and can add better insight, however i fail to see how this program is a negative. I wanted a GNML Wolves team of 95's to travel Ontario and play in tournaments like the OHL Cup, Marlboros and such and take breaks from their GNML team. They would leave there teams for weekends and such and enter the high profile tournaments like Silver sticks.

It would help the players develop playing against higher competition, and also give the OHL scouts a better look at them against stronger competition.

I dont care where the team comes from, what its called, as long as it aides in the development of players, im all for it.

Thunder Bay has it down, no reason why other areas cannot as well.

Old
03-09-2011, 05:13 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasE View Post
how about a kid who turned 15 in 2011. Ekblad just took another step for this years draft. No consensus #1 now
This article in the Barrie Examiner suggested a couple of weeks ago that Ekbald would apply for exceptional status and that the Colts had interest. The Star at the time was suggesting he wouldn't - looks like they've come around.

If he gets it, I think he is the first pick. I don't see how you pass on that - the others have been first overall. Especially since (if they are equal talents) his chances of sticking around as an 18 year old defenceman are far better than Ritchie's as a nearly 19 year old forward. Finally, the Colts defence could use a boost more than the offence. Goals haven't been the problem - keeping them out has.

Best Regards,
Shawn

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:27 PM
srj81

Quote:
I know other posters are better versed on this then me, and can add better insight, however i fail to see how this program is a negative. I wanted a GNML Wolves team of 95's to travel Ontario and play in tournaments like the OHL Cup, Marlboros and such and take breaks from their GNML team. They would leave there teams for weekends and such and enter the high profile tournaments like Silver sticks.

It would help the players develop playing against higher competition, and also give the OHL scouts a better look at them against stronger competition.

I dont care where the team comes from, what its called, as long as it aides in the development of players, im all for it.

I agree they should have a minor midget all star team for the NOHA, no doubt. Seems this is how they are going, and if it stays that way I just think they have to get that team into the GNML. They were playing AA league this year, it would give them the best competition they are going to get up here, and they definately need more than 1 icetime a week

Old
03-09-2011, 09:05 PM
no Gino

Quote:

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you but Thunder Bay kids play for the Kings only during the season. They play in the Manitoba Midget league. They do not just get together to play tournaments.

no Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by burki15 View Post
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you but Thunder Bay kids play for the Kings only during the season. They play in the Manitoba Midget league. They do not just get together to play tournaments.
Im well aware.

I was referencing the Thunder Bay Kings to what the Sudbury Wolves are now, and to what the program could become.

There is some issues from the locals about the Wolves program, or so ive been told.

In addition to the Sudbury program, id love to see the GNML put together an all star team, starting next year for 96's. Have them play in major tournaments like the Marlboros, Titans, Silver Stick and maybe a another select few. In between the tournament, they would play on their GNML teams. No different for the releases that CHL teams give to their players for U17-U20 tournaments.

The constant act of throwing a random team together 2-3 days before the OHL Cup does not really work in my opinion, and perhaps having this all star team would help the development of players in the NOHA.

Old
03-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Petes1

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
This article in the Barrie Examiner suggested a couple of weeks ago that Ekbald would apply for exceptional status and that the Colts had interest. The Star at the time was suggesting he wouldn't - looks like they've come around.

If he gets it, I think he is the first pick. I don't see how you pass on that - the others have been first overall. Especially since (if they are equal talents) his chances of sticking around as an 18 year old defenceman are far better than Ritchie's as a nearly 19 year old forward. Finally, the Colts defence could use a boost more than the offence. Goals haven't been the problem - keeping them out has.

Best Regards,
Shawn
If Barrie takes Ekblad, and the Petes hold the 2nd spot, it'll be interesting to see what happens. If the OHL takes their time deciding, it's possible the Petes will go out and get a commitment from Domi thinking Barrie is probably taking Ritchie. Which means, Ritchie will fall to Sarnia and get to play with his brother.

Petes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:21 AM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes1 View Post
If Barrie takes Ekblad, and the Petes hold the 2nd spot, it'll be interesting to see what happens. If the OHL takes their time deciding, it's possible the Petes will go out and get a commitment from Domi thinking Barrie is probably taking Ritchie. Which means, Ritchie will fall to Sarnia and get to play with his brother.
This would leave Nurse for Belleville which is huge for them if he would sign there. Then they could hopefully play the same card the Hamilton's used in Niagara and get Subban in the 2nd round.

heusy_79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Nbr-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
I think Paul Coffey has a son on the '98 Marlies.
That is correct. AAMOF Paul is the head coach of the 98 Marlies.
Doug Gilmour also has a 98 and Pat Flatley has 98 born twins.

Btw when & where is the 2011 OHL draft and can you follow it online somewhere?
Thx.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:43 AM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
Btw when & where is the 2011 OHL draft and can you follow it online somewhere?
Thx.
It all takes place online, players are notified via phone calls. Here is the link where you will be able to follow along on, the draft is usually the first Saturday in May.
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/p...rity-selection

heusy_79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Tigers1992

The Draft will be help May 7th

Old
03-10-2011, 10:59 AM
srj81

Quote:
Im well aware.

I was referencing the Thunder Bay Kings to what the Sudbury Wolves are now, and to what the program could become.

There is some issues from the locals about the Wolves program, or so ive been told.

In addition to the Sudbury program, id love to see the GNML put together an all star team, starting next year for 96's. Have them play in major tournaments like the Marlboros, Titans, Silver Stick and maybe a another select few. In between the tournament, they would play on their GNML teams. No different for the releases that CHL teams give to their players for U17-U20 tournaments.

The constant act of throwing a random team together 2-3 days before the OHL Cup does not really work in my opinion, and perhaps having this all star team would help the development of players in the NOHA.
I agree with this for sure. This NOHA tea goes on the ice together 3 times on the Monday and Tuesday and then are expected to compete the next day against all these top teams who have been together the whole year, if not YEARS before this.

Old
03-10-2011, 04:05 PM
dansk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes1 View Post
Interesting scenario. Sarnia is like Barrie, they cannot stop a beach ball. So, are you inclined to hook up brothers, or take a top notch defence like Nurse. I cannot see them taking Ritchie Jr. especially if they don't have a second round pick.

dansk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Hockeydman

I don't believe Nurse will report to any OHL team

Hockeydman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 06:23 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeydman View Post
I don't believe Nurse will report to any OHL team
Why not?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:15 PM
saska sault

Max Domi to the Hounds 4th overall? What are the chances? Would look good beside Cousins and/or Catenacci.

saska sault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by saska sault View Post
Max Domi to the Hounds 4th overall? What are the chances? Would look good beside Cousins and/or Catenacci.
All three are natural centres. Nick Baptiste makes much more sense.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Hockeydman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Why not?
kid is a good student in school, family has always been ncaa driven, the kid himself has expressed an interest in a div 1 school.

not going to divulge anymore,

Old
03-10-2011, 09:09 PM
TobiasE

Quote:
kid is a good student in school, family has always been ncaa driven, the kid himself has expressed an interest in a div 1 school.

not going to divulge anymore,
Highly doubt he will go NCAA, his game is suited for major junior and I seriously feel his development would be in trouble. I see him being an NHLer at 20 if he continues his development and it will transform best through OHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saska sault View Post
Also highly doubt, Tie would not let him go to SSM IMO. If he did get picked you might see him go to Michigan or traded

Quote:

GTHL
Toronto Jr. Canadiens
Toronto Marlboros
Don Mills Flyers
Markham Majors
Mississauga Senators

OMHA - ETA
Barrie Colts
York Simcoe Express

OMHA - SCTA
Welland Tigers
St. Catheranes Falcons

ALLINACE
Waterloo Wolves
Elgin Middlesex Chiefs

Ottawa
Ottawa Valley Titans
Ottawa Jr 67's

Invites
TPH Thunder
Thunder Bay Kings
Sudbury Wolves (maybe)
GNML Wolves
1-2 of Whitby, Oakville and Halton
1 Alliance Invite
The extra invite from OMHA in my opinion has to go to Halton, they potentially have 6-7 draft picks and a few high ends. They are the only team in the OMHA championships this weekend that arent a shoe in yet.
Also look for Sun County to potentially get a slot if exceptional is granted, they wanna see what this guys got against competition like Marlies

Last edited by TobiasE: 03-10-2011 at 09:16 PM.
TobiasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Hockeydman

Nurse = NCAA
Domi = Kingston Frontenacs

I guess we will wait until May7th to see who will be right

Old
03-10-2011, 10:11 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Nurse = NCAA
Domi = Kingston Frontenacs

I guess we will wait until May7th to see who will be right
I asked both kids and they both weren't sure so I guess we will see come draft day! I think both of them might use the NCAA card for this upcoming draft but who knows what the future holds.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:23 AM
Hockeydman

right, your key word was undecided
they will use the "yes we are OHL bound" so that they go high in the draft,

but in the end,

Nurse will go NCAA, my guess is he will head west.

Domi will go frontenacs (medical condition will not enable him to go NCAA. Mom will need to monitor his condition. They have two other kids, so they will not uproute family with a move. Daddy will go on the bench with frontenacs and he will monitor the kid, hence OHL bound for this kid, just maneouvering his position to be taken by the frontenacs.

These kids are well seasoned on what to say, when people inquire about where they will head, you need to get the inside scoupe and you are obviously not privey

Old
03-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Tarzan

Saw a couple of games of the OVT & 67's final. For the games I saw the 67's completely dominated the Titans. It's hard to understand how the Titans totally dominated the Sens and then were totally dominated by the 67's. My best guess is it comes down to coaching. The Sens were outcoached by the Titans and then the Titans were outcoached by the 67's. The way that the 67's played they were obviously the best team in this league. Not sure why they couldn't win against the Sens this year where the Titans were dominant over the Sens.

Tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote