HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Looking back at the Gagne trade.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-10-2011, 10:35 AM
  #26
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
who has scored more goals than Gagne with limited ice-time and worse line-mates
We ain't in this for the regular season stats this year.

Who do you want on the ice in Game 7?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:39 AM
  #27
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The Eminger trade turned bad quickly... an then was exacerbated by the follow-up deals that were made to "fix" it.

What's really frustrating? Meszaros was available that summer...
Meszaros was available, but at a very steep price: a top pairing guy, a good prospect and a first round pick....

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=247902&l...headlines_main

"the Senators received defencemen Filip Kuba and Alexandre Picard and a first round pick the Lightning previously acquired from the San Jose Sharks. Sources add that Meszaros is expected to sign a six-year contract with the Lightning averaging $4 million a season."

And for all his failings, Brian Lawton knew what he was getting, I'm glad they didn't have patience:

"Andrej is a perfect fit within our plan to rebuild the Lightning into a contender," Lightning president of hockey operations Brian Lawton said in a statement. "He has a strong all-around game, he competes, he moves the puck and he can handle big, strong forwards defensively.

"Perhaps most importantly, we're pleased to add a 22-year old player with almost 250 NHL games already under his belt; we know Andrej will continue to grow and improve as he matures with the rest of our defence."

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:44 AM
  #28
phillyfanatic
Registered User
 
phillyfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
We could have fit Gagne and Meszaros and not lost any of the important parts to this team... we then would have had an expiring contract gone from the books going into next year. As opposed to the **** sandwich that is Walker's contract.

Shelley and Zherdev alone gets you more than half Gagne's salary... and there's no doubt in my mind come May, you'd much rather have Gagne on this team.
1. Walker is in the minors and doesn't count for ****
2. Shelley + Zherdev + ? gets you Gagne's 10 goals and -18. Awesome!

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:48 AM
  #29
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,993
vCash: 500
To say Zherdev has nearly replaced Gagne is absurd. Zherdev only plays on one half of the ice and doesn't have any leadership abilities to speak of.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:52 AM
  #30
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Meszaros was available, but at a very steep price: a top pairing guy, a good prospect and a first round pick....

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=247902&l...headlines_main

"the Senators received defencemen Filip Kuba and Alexandre Picard and a first round pick the Lightning previously acquired from the San Jose Sharks. Sources add that Meszaros is expected to sign a six-year contract with the Lightning averaging $4 million a season."

And for all his failings, Brian Lawton knew what he was getting, I'm glad they didn't have patience:

"Andrej is a perfect fit within our plan to rebuild the Lightning into a contender," Lightning president of hockey operations Brian Lawton said in a statement. "He has a strong all-around game, he competes, he moves the puck and he can handle big, strong forwards defensively.

"Perhaps most importantly, we're pleased to add a 22-year old player with almost 250 NHL games already under his belt; we know Andrej will continue to grow and improve as he matures with the rest of our defence."
1) we gave up a 1st for *ing Steve Eminger... the price is suddenly lower.

2) we gave up Steve Downie for Carle (a much better prospect than Picard)... the price is suddenly lower.

3) Kuba is a first pairing D? Since when? He's a decent enough D, with some offensive chops.

I'm fairly certain we could have worked something out if we wanted to... and the price would have been less than what we ultimately paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
1. Walker is in the minors and doesn't count for ****
2. Shelley + Zherdev + ? gets you Gagne's 10 goals and -18. Awesome!
Walker counts as a contract on our 50 man limit, and will be salary against the cap this summer. So, he counts for ****.

Shelley shouldn't dress for a single playoff game, and I'm no more confident in Zherdev come playoff time.

We'll put aside Gagne's injury struggles, and the fact that he was adjusting to a completely new team and system... Gagne struggled mightily last year, too. Did you like having him on the Flyers come playoff time? I betcha did.

Then again, if Gagne was still on the Flyers with 10 goals and a -18 you'd still be giving him BJs like you do everyone else on the team.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:58 AM
  #31
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB
 
dingbathero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,906
vCash: 500
It was time for Gagne to go. The brass knew it. It sucked that we got Walker in return. It's done. I like this team A LOT more without Gagne on it.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 11:37 AM
  #32
DrHamburg
Registered User
 
DrHamburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
We ain't in this for the regular season stats this year.

Who do you want on the ice in Game 7?
Not saying I disagree with you, but weren't you the one who was saying there is no difference between playoffs and regular season and all the stats even out to be about the same?

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 11:47 AM
  #33
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
Not saying I disagree with you, but weren't you the one who was saying there is no difference between playoffs and regular season and all the stats even out to be about the same?
There isn't.

Zherdev and Shelley do jack squat for me protecting a tight game with a 1 goal lead. Gagne is a very good PKer... etc. etc. Gagne has had his struggles this year, just like last year, but when he gets his **** together, he's a very good player. And in the recent games I've watched of TB, he's starting to look a lot more like his old self.

That's all before getting to the fact that his contract was expiring and it is a disgrace the team kicked him out of the door the way they did after all his years of service.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 11:52 AM
  #34
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,091
vCash: 500
Even with the trade and where we are this season, I still miss him.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 12:01 PM
  #35
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,551
vCash: 50
hated it then and still hate it. there were other options. Holmgren just didnt want to do it.

lousy, lousy move by Holmgren.

but no Holmgren had to have his 1.5 million dollar minor league goalie, his lousy enforcer on a bad cap hit and Mezsaros.
Could of traded Carle. or Hartnell. Why would Gagne want to come back after getting disrespected by this organization?
Salary dump my ass.


Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 03-10-2011 at 12:07 PM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 12:29 PM
  #36
Shadeslayer813
Registered User
 
Shadeslayer813's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fort Drum
Country: United States
Posts: 417
vCash: 500
Ill tell you how i feel about it after the playoffs..

Shadeslayer813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 12:39 PM
  #37
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
1. Walker is in the minors and doesn't count for ****
2. Shelley + Zherdev + ? gets you Gagne's 10 goals and -18. Awesome!
Come on, do you really think that Gagne on this team would have the stats he currently has? In Gagne you are also talking about one of the better defensive LW's in all of the NHL.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 12:46 PM
  #38
LI Fly Guy
Registered User
 
LI Fly Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
but no Holmgren had to have his 1.5 million dollar minor league goalie, his lousy enforcer on a bad cap hit and Mezsaros.
Could of traded Carle. or Hartnell.
You would rather have Gagne then Scotty? or Mez?

LI Fly Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:05 PM
  #39
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,551
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Fly Guy View Post
You would rather have Gagne then Scotty? or Mez?
I would take Gagne over Hartnell any day of the week. He could of traded Hartnell for a prospect/pick, kept Gagne and if Holmgren wasnt so stupid with his other signings/resignings and he still could of traded for Meszaros
People think Gagne is overpaid? Hartnell is as well.
Gagne is ****ing clutch in the playoffs. who would you rather have? Gagne out there in a tie game late or Hartnell or worse yet that lazy sack of crap Zherdev.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:16 PM
  #40
Intentional Icing
why you little!
 
Intentional Icing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 215
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
i think the trade was a smart move from a managerial stand point. i mean, look at where we are in the standings right now.

the one thing i hope is that gags comes back and retires wearing orange and black.

Intentional Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:18 PM
  #41
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,551
vCash: 50
the everything is fine because we are in first reason doesnt fly with me.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:25 PM
  #42
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,489
vCash: 500
I agree that the most frustrating part of the Gagné deal is that if you're going to dump salary, then dump salary. Meszaros was a nice pick-up, but to look at Gagné + 2nd for Meszaros + Walker + 4th is just incomprehensible for a team that was crunched for cap space.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:34 PM
  #43
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
We ain't in this for the regular season stats this year.

Who do you want on the ice in Game 7?
which Gagne? The one during the 2004 TB & 2010 BOS series, or the no show for every other playoff series?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:48 PM
  #44
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
which Gagne? The one during the 2004 TB & 2010 BOS series, or the no show for every other playoff series?
Either Gagne would protect a one goal lead as well as anyone.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:07 PM
  #45
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,551
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Either Gagne would protect a one goal lead as well as anyone.
Holmgren would rather have what Hartnell and Shelley "bring" to the runk then a solid 2 way player like Gagne.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:13 PM
  #46
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I would take Gagne over Hartnell any day of the week. He could of traded Hartnell for a prospect/pick, kept Gagne and if Holmgren wasnt so stupid with his other signings/resignings and he still could of traded for Meszaros
People think Gagne is overpaid? Hartnell is as well.
Gagne is ****ing clutch in the playoffs. who would you rather have? Gagne out there in a tie game late or Hartnell or worse yet that lazy sack of crap Zherdev.
If you could you keep both, but as much hate as Hartnell gets he is one of the few bodies who actually finish their hits and add a little sandpaper to the lineup.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:21 PM
  #47
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,551
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
If you could you keep both, but as much hate as Hartnell gets he is one of the few bodies who actually finish their hits and add a little sandpaper to the lineup.
4.2 million for that?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:51 PM
  #48
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
4.2 million for that?
uh? 4.2 million for a perenial 25 goal,40 point player. That is willing to hit and drop the gloves.

Not an overpayment for me.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:57 PM
  #49
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
It was still an awful trade.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 03:57 PM
  #50
LI Fly Guy
Registered User
 
LI Fly Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I would take Gagne over Hartnell any day of the week. He could of traded Hartnell for a prospect/pick, kept Gagne and if Holmgren wasnt so stupid with his other signings/resignings and he still could of traded for Meszaros
People think Gagne is overpaid? Hartnell is as well.
Gagne is ****ing clutch in the playoffs. who would you rather have? Gagne out there in a tie game late or Hartnell or worse yet that lazy sack of crap Zherdev.
Pretty Sure Hartnell's run last year in the playoffs, was better than anything Gagne has ever done in the playoffs.

Hartnell has 15 Goals in 62 Games and 17 Assists.

Gagne in 90 games has 32 goals and 15 assists.

And what Hartnell did last year with Leino and Briere ecspecially in the cup far exceeds anything I have ever seen Simon do in the playoffs.

LI Fly Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.