HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bettman: ''Pacioretty injury is horrible, but part of the game.''

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Darth Joker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by remer View Post
What is sad is the stupidity of this whole situation.
Agreed. Bettman, Campbell, and Murphy's stupidity is what is sad about this situation.

Quote:

Getting the police to investigate a body check that lead to an interferrence call.
Indeed. A really unwelcome event due entirely to the NHL's appalling failure to properly police itself.

Quote:

Air canada threatening to pull out. Come on. Bettman is laughing at Air Canada.
Indeed. Laughing at one of your league's biggest sponsors is quite stupid.

Quote:

The pure hatred shown by Hab fans towards another player and entire organization and the league.
Because we, unlike people like you apparently, think that reckless plays that result in severe
career-threatening/life-threatening injuries should resulted in proper suspensions.

We actually care about player safety. And an essential part of occupational safety is ensuring that workers carry out their work in a reasonably safe manner. That applies just as much to pro sports as it does to logging or mining or construction work.

Reckless is reckless, in all fields of work.

Quote:

Petitioning and going over the top because it is a Montreal Canadien player.
It's not going over the top. The league is getting completely out of hand with its appalling lack of concern for player safety. That calls for an extreme reaction.

Quote:

How about lobbying in a professional manner and asking the league to look at the stanchions of hockey rinks to prevent injurys.
That alone isn't enough. The players themselves need to be made to act more responsibly, and less recklessly. Period.

Old
03-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
It's over. The play is done. The league ruled that is was not a blind side hit or head shot. Argue with the league, but they are not going to change their mind.
Just because you don't want to do anything to protect the health of your own players and want to propagate a style of hockey that will invariably lead to much worse incidents on the ice doesn't mean we're going to shut up about a dirty play that went over the line.

The fact that this is turning into a **** storm and a PR nightmare for the league and the Bruins is already a step in the right direction.

Old
03-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Tendresse
Capitaine Gorges

So... what KHL team are we rooting for? Perezhogin's team?

Old
03-10-2011, 01:50 PM
Habit11

Say what you will about the NFL, but at least they have taken steps to protect the players who sell their game. Imagine if a player in the NFL knocked out Manning or Brady on even a questionnable hit, that player would be gone for the year. No question about it. That league allows the QB to get hit within the rules... they allow the QB to get drilled within the rules because it's part of the game. But late hits, hits to the head, and hitting with your helmet has been ruled out of that league because they know damn well that nobody wants to see a backup, no name quarterback instead of Tom Brady. Yet, Bettman and the ridiculous hockey league we've come to know, did nothing to protect it's Tom Brady... Sidney Crosby.

Old
03-10-2011, 01:52 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Keep reporting posts and don't respond to trolls. I'm doing the best I can.

Old
Amputechture

Quote:
It's over. The play is done. The league ruled that is was not a blind side hit or head shot. Argue with the league, but they are not going to change their mind.
It's that exact mentality that doesn't promote change. What happened was disgusting. There was no investigation. They made a ruling less than a day later. They did not take into account the thoughts of the victim. They did nothing to prevent dangers plays like this from never happening again. If Chara was named Trevor Gillies, he would never play another game this season. There is a ridiculous double standard throughout this league. You would think that an organization that has gone through the Bergeron and Savard injuries would be a bit more sympathetic. If people would just admit that something terrible and wrong took place and worked to make it never happen again...this whole situation would be a lot better than it is. The fact that these talking heads just want to call it a "hockey play" and move on from it like a kid doesn't have a broken neck and still in the hospital, that a promising young player's career is in jeopardy because of a dangerous play, that's what I call gross incompetence by a billion dollar organization.

Old
SB164

"As for Air Canada threatening to pull its sponsorship over such injuries, Bettman says the league can find other carriers if Air Canada doesn't want the NHL's business."

Anyone else think that is a big **** you to every sponsor in the league?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=357385

Old
03-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

And we thought we had the best trolls... Bettman just gave us a lesson in trolling.

Old
Boardish

Let's bring this ****er down

Old
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Agreed however I'm not sure if I understand your post in that I feel maybe you thought I was saying it should be part of the game, it is part of the game, but only because failtards like Bettman allow it to be. It shouldn't be part of the game.
I was piggy backing on your idea. In agreement.

Old
03-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
"As for Air Canada threatening to pull its sponsorship over such injuries, Bettman says the league can find other carriers if Air Canada doesn't want the NHL's business."

Anyone else think that is a big **** you to every sponsor in the league?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=357385
Pretty much publicly saying. "All my sponsers are $$$ to me"

Old
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Keep reporting posts and don't respond to trolls. I'm doing the best I can.
Understood overlords but you're just a measly little overlord, maybe even two, and you don't even have the movement speed upgrade

It's not like you can be in two places at once

Old
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
Say what you will about the NFL, but at least they have taken steps to protect the players who sell their game. Imagine if a player in the NFL knocked out Manning or Brady on even a questionnable hit, that player would be gone for the year. No question about it. That league allows the QB to get hit within the rules... they allow the QB to get drilled within the rules because it's part of the game. But late hits, hits to the head, and hitting with your helmet has been ruled out of that league because they know damn well that nobody wants to see a backup, no name quarterback instead of Tom Brady. Yet, Bettman and the ridiculous hockey league we've come to know, did nothing to protect it's Tom Brady... Sidney Crosby.
NFL ref call every penalty . NHL ref call penalty to create momentum

Real league VS WWE league. When players will know what they can do and what they can't do things will change

Old
Pascal

Quote:

Petitioning and going over the top because it is a Montreal Canadien player.

Old
03-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
He actually said that the majority of concussions come from "accidents or players falling."

WTF?

At the NHL level, which is all he has any authority to speak from, when's the last time saw a concussion from EITHER of those things?

...or is he lumping "thrown down," "fall with someone on top of you during fight," and "thrown into a stanchion" into "fall down and accident?"

I don't even know how to respond.
If you cross-check someone from behind and his head goes flying in the board, clearly the board landed the hit, not the player. Or the ice after he fell face first on it.

Either way, the cross-check didn't hurt the head and didn't cause the concussion.

Pretty simple logic no? Bettman thinks it makes sense anyway.

Bettman already classified Chara on Pacioretty's hit as an accident. Cooke on Savard? No suspension, it's an accident. Richards on Booth? No suspension, it's an accident. Crosby? Was there a suspension? Ofc not, it was an accident.

It's pretty easy for him to raise the accident count of his little Excel file.

Old
03-10-2011, 01:56 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
NFL ref call every penalty . NHL ref call penalty to create momentum

Real league VS WWE league. When players will know what they can do and what they can't do things will change
Come on dude, give the WWE refs a little bit more credit, they're no where near as bad as the NHL ones. They at least do their jobs

Old
03-10-2011, 01:56 PM
24Cups

I'd never thought I'd ever see the day but Gary Bettman has surpassed Bud Selig as head buffoon of a major sports league. This is pure arrogance. Campbell should have been fired immediately after his biased emails were "wikileaked" and Murphy still has the Lombardi episode hanging over his head. Now this. Bettman and crew must go!

Old
03-10-2011, 01:58 PM
ILuvLucic*

Never seen a player hurt from a check before.

Old
03-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Oh look, they just suspended Kubina for 3 games for elbowing.

Old
03-10-2011, 02:00 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
If you cross-check someone from behind and his head goes flying in the board, clearly the board landed the hit, not the player. Or the ice after he fell face first on it.

Either way, the cross-check didn't hurt the head and didn't cause the concussion.

Pretty simple logic no? Bettman thinks it makes sense anyway.

Bettman already classified Chara on Pacioretty's hit as an accident. Cooke on Savard? No suspension, it's an accident. Richards on Booth? No suspension, it's an accident. Crosby? Was there a suspension? Ofc not, it was an accident.

It's pretty easy for him to raise the accident count of his little Excel file.
Inorite?

Seriously though it's ridiculous. If the league had treated the Bertuzzi incident like this people would've been calling for peoples heads. They wouldn't be saying "Well he should've watched the way his head hit the ice, that was his fault"

This is essentially what people have been saying in Chara's defense. Oh Max should've known where he was. Okay so Max is supposed to ***** foot and not play like the professional athlete he is because an ogre is on the ice? He's supposed to just lay down and take the loss like a good boy? **** that pisses me off. The NHL has basically said "Any team that isn't tough like Philly or Boston, don't play your game, just sit back and lose or else if one of your players gets injured they're to blame".

It's like when a hot girl in some tight clothes gets ***** and you always hear the one moron who came out of the wood work saying "It's her own fault, she shouldn't have gone to a club dressed like that". Only difference is it isn't just one idiot, it's several.

Old
03-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Oh look, they just suspended Kubina for 3 games for elbowing.
I'd be 100% happy for the NHL to have done this, if the whole Pacioretty/Chara thing never happened.

Old
03-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Habit11

Bettman is such a joke.

Crosby out b/c of a hit
Richards out b/c of a hit
Savard out b/c of a hit
DiPietro out b/c of a fight
Pacioretty out b/c of a hit
David Perron out b/c of a hit
Derek Boogard out b/c of a fight
Taylor Hall (not a concussion) but he's out b/c of a fight

Did he miss the Pens/Isles game?

What a liar. A liar of epic proportions.

Old
03-10-2011, 02:03 PM
knuck
On and off fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
If this becomes part of the game, then I'll watch another sport.

Why not add spikes on the board to add a little ''lol'' factor? Or concrete blocks that randomly fall on the ice at times?

What a stupid league.
Dude, no. I got my share of that

Old
03-10-2011, 02:04 PM
The Goalie Mask

When leadership is flawled...the organization is also flawed..

Bettman's comment are unbelievable..

It's not Chara and another infracting players that should be policed right now ...it's the NHL for not protecting the players and the development of hockey

Old
03-10-2011, 02:04 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKSubban View Post
Bettman also thinks the NHL should stay in Phoenix. We already know that he's clueless.
As an Expos fan, I am 100% in support of keeping teams where they are.

Closed Thread