HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Canucks vs Wings: Best hockey matchup?

Old
03-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Drew Doubty

vCash: 500
Canucks vs Wings: Best hockey matchup?

Personally, I feel that the most enjoyable hockey to watch out of any matchup against the canucks is vs the Wings.

seriously, for the bast 2 seasons every game has been a thriller, many coming down to OT or a late score to decide it. They are typically high scoring affairs with good physical play but nothing to dirty (sorry for injuring datsyuk but really that was just unfortunate). Both teams are great puck possession teams with tremendous skill in every position

anyways, I just wanted to say how much I respect the wings franchise and that I truly hope we meet in the West Final.

Do you guys feel the same way?

Drew Doubty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
I wouldn't say that Vancouver is *the* most exciting team to face, but they're a damn good team lately with a lot of similar strengths to Detroit. It's bound to be fun, offensive games with a lot of skill involved. Can't name anyone in the Canucks organization I don't like, and that's a feat in itself.

Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 05:53 PM
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle

The cup is ours lulz.. canucks won't make the WCF imo.

DatsyukianDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Ricelund
troll

^ That might be the lamest YT video I've ever seen. Also, why do you have to troll the guy for saying he likes watching the Canucks play the Wings?

03-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Drew Doubty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukianDeke View Post

The cup is ours lulz.. canucks won't make the WCF imo.
cool story

Old
03-08-2011, 10:28 PM
ComradeChris

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Doubty View Post
cool story
Lame story. When we won the cup bettman gave a crappy "take the stanley cup" speech, but for Pittsburgh it was a well thought out, dramatic "take the stanley cup Crosby" speech. Lame story man. Am I the only one who thinks that?

On topic: Canucks vs Wings games are always entertaining. I just hate that the Sedins always get the best of us. In my opinion the Vancouver goalie Luongo is WAY overrated. Yeah, he is really good, but not consistent enough. He chokes a lot. Like in the gold medal game where he could barely catch a puck, or the 2 years where he choked against the Hawks. Call me crazy, but I think Lou has a hard time keeping his composure and isn't a big game type player.

ComradeChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:53 PM
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
^ That might be the lamest YT video I've ever seen. Also, why do you have to troll the guy for saying he likes watching the Canucks play the Wings?

not my video but you take things way to serious.

DatsyukianDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 11:15 PM
Drew Doubty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeChris View Post
Lame story. When we won the cup bettman gave a crappy "take the stanley cup" speech, but for Pittsburgh it was a well thought out, dramatic "take the stanley cup Crosby" speech. Lame story man. Am I the only one who thinks that?

On topic: Canucks vs Wings games are always entertaining. I just hate that the Sedins always get the best of us. In my opinion the Vancouver goalie Luongo is WAY overrated. Yeah, he is really good, but not consistent enough. He chokes a lot. Like in the gold medal game where he could barely catch a puck, or the 2 years where he choked against the Hawks. Call me crazy, but I think Lou has a hard time keeping his composure and isn't a big game type player.
tha'ts fine but, i really didn't start this thread to have wings fans nitpick the canucks, it really doesn't have anything to do with that.
I was more trying to compliment the wings on their honest, skill based, hockey and how it is refreshing to play them and see the skill of our respective teams showcased

Old
03-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Shoalzie
It's Not Complicated

I'd love to see these two lock horns in the playoffs but who's to say the Canucks are capable of getting to the conference finals? They're Sharks-lite...appear to have the team that have "it" but flame out. I think this is their most complete team of the Luongo-era...if they can't make a run this year, they may never do it. And I'm also not saying that I think the Wings are capable of getting back to the conference finals either...they're just as vulnerable as the Canucks but they've at least got the winning pedigree. I'm a little sick of the Sedins being thrusted into elite status before they even get past the second round. Give me Nick, Pavel and Hank...they get it done in the spring...when it matters!

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 02:06 PM
ComradeChris

Quote:
tha'ts fine but, i really didn't start this thread to have wings fans nitpick the canucks, it really doesn't have anything to do with that.
I was more trying to compliment the wings on their honest, skill based, hockey and how it is refreshing to play them and see the skill of our respective teams showcased
I'm not trying to nitpick. Just trying to give you a little analysis of how Red Wing fans think of Vancouver. They are a great team, of course I think Detroit has the upper edge, but they have their flaws as does every other team. The biggest flaw I see in the Canucks is Luongo's performance in big games. I think they would be better off trading Luongo while his value is high and getting another top tier forward or defenseman and replacing him with Schneider. That is just my opinion though.

Red Wings flaws are coming out of the gate slow, lack of gritty defensive play (too many people on the team are very prone to being pushed around), Howard's lack of positioning and rebound control as well as his five hole, the team playing inconsistently over the past few years. Our biggest flaw has been the decrease in good defensive play since we won the cup. Red Wings players seem to have a sense of entitlement where they believe that they are better than everyone else and don't need to work hard defensively anymore. It shows in a couple of ways: first is that they play with less effort and passion to win regular season games (cannot always turn the switch on come playoff time) and the second is the embarassment that the team has had recently on coach Babcock. They are obviously not trusting the coach and playing his system and are more so just freelancing. The coach is not getting his players to perform and that could be because of a multitude of reasons, but the most common two are either that the players are tuning him out and his tenure is just about over, or the team is facing adversity right now and is having a hard time overcoming it. I hope it is the latter, but personally I feel like the first thought of Babcock's tenure coming to an end is what is starting to happen.

Being a fan isn't about just appreciating the greatness of a team, but also seeing their flaws because that gives you a deeper understanding of what the team is really about. I wasn't trying to hate on Vancouver, they are a great organization, I was just identifying what I notice most about how they work. I may be wrong, I do not get to see as many Canuck games as I do Wings games, but nevertheless I hope to see a great series between the two teams come playoff time and hopefully the Wings come out on top.

Old
03-09-2011, 04:39 PM
joe89

For me it is, hockey wise. Rivalry wise there are better. A meeting in the playoffs could change that.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:03 PM
andreydali19

Hey, where's the GDT? I've gotta cover DIFF 2011 so tonight'll be away from the tube. Anyways, Wings!!!

andreydali19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:20 PM
ComradeChris

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreydali19 View Post
Hey, where's the GDT? I've gotta cover DIFF 2011 so tonight'll be away from the tube. Anyways, Wings!!!
First GDT not completed?

Old
03-10-2011, 01:25 PM
aar000n

Quote:
Personally, I feel that the most enjoyable hockey to watch out of any matchup against the canucks is vs the Wings.

seriously, for the bast 2 seasons every game has been a thriller, many coming down to OT or a late score to decide it. They are typically high scoring affairs with good physical play but nothing to dirty (sorry for injuring datsyuk but really that was just unfortunate). Both teams are great puck possession teams with tremendous skill in every position

anyways, I just wanted to say how much I respect the wings franchise and that I truly hope we meet in the West Final.

Do you guys feel the same way?
i agree this is what hockey needs not two trapping teams going at it in a slow down crap game. two qulaity teams sounds good to me.

yes I agree when Betman gave the cup to us it was like he was angry about it.

aar000n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:54 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

The regular season games between them this season have been among the best to watch so far.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote