HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Red Wings - 03/09/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
03-10-2011, 12:47 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

vCash: 500
It was great seeing that "swagger" from Quick last night on a couple of his big saves - especially after that odorous goal he allowed. Hadn't seen that in a while. He showed it off early in the 2nd and you just knew he'd be on his game from that point on.

I'm still getting used to the realization that the Kings have beat Detroit in 5 of their last 6 games. Detroit fans must be bummed that the Kings aren't their doormat any longer.

Last edited by TonySCV: 03-10-2011 at 12:58 PM.
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Chris 84

like i said, ive got no complaints about losing the match, and of course the wings got some decisions as well. i'm not saying we were screwed and the refs were against us non-stop. and of course you lot got bad calls against the canucks. i'm just saying that a call on your winning goal went your way, and having seen the GDT which was all about how the refs are on the wings side and going to favour us in the match, etc, i just wanted to say that clearly the wings aren't favoured on every call in every match.

stuff balances out in general.

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 12:59 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Doughty was in a position to where from his pov there wasn't anything else to do so he did what he could. Did he get lucky? The Wings didn't score so I would say yes but you have to think that if there were any other options DD would have taken one of them instead of doing the one thing that coaches harp on from alpha to omega about not clearing the puck up the middle.

Maybe DD will have something to say about in an interview before the next game but if not, it was just one of many plays that happen during a game and while it was an important one, DD makes the right decision so much more often than not that its alright with me.
I just prefer that he know the clock in that situation and if he doesn't see a clean play just eat the puck. Guys like Mitchell and Scuderi do it all the time.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:01 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

I'm not going to blame Quick too much even for the first goal. Helm is reaching Doan level in his domination of the Kings.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:12 PM
DeeMeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I just prefer that he know the clock in that situation and if he doesn't see a clean play just eat the puck. Guys like Mitchell and Scuderi do it all the time.
I say just ice it.

It drive me nuts sometimes to watch the Kings try and clear the puck, but do it in a way where there is no icing. They sometimes end up not clearing the zone at all.

We are a good faceoff team. If we get caught chasing at the end of the game I would rather just see the guys ice the damn puck instead of trying to make a fancy play to avoid icing.

Take a shot at the open net, especially if you have a clean look at it. Worst case scenario is an icing, which is pretty much the equivalent of Quick making a save and covering the puck.

The old school theory of taking a shot at an empty net and causing icing being a selfish play is silly.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Nice to finally see a road win in person after previously being 0-3. Not many worse feelings than being a losing fan on the road. This was great to talk a little smack. Especially since I've seen the Kings get destroyed way to often in that building.

On the reffing, this is why it's so dumb to complain about officiating (and it's been happening a ton in the GDT's) it all evens out over an 82 game season. The missed call on Lidstrom was just as bad as the one called on Greene in LA.

On the goaltending. I think they need to play Quick the majority of the way. He is the Kings starting goaltender after all. Not every game, but I think Quick needs ton get 2/3 the rest of the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
Interesting, no power play time for Smyth.
Good.

It's about time they started rewarding players who are playing hard and producing in 2011, not based on what they did in October or how good a career they've had.

I think this should be a buyout situation this summer. I can't even imagine how bad he is going to look in March 2012

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:21 PM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Goal got changed to Poni in case anyone was unaware. I definitely thought Brown touched that the way it jumped to the top of the net.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:21 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Well, I hate to tell you this, but - he sure did. I couldn't get the channel 13 broadcast from where I am, but on the Detroit telecast, it seemed pretty clear that Brown deflected it.
Yeah, brown totally deflected it. The Detroit channel clearly showed it.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:40 PM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

Not that it matters much (since Kings won) Ch 13 later showed replay from behind the goalie and Brown's stick was few inches away from the point of deflection.. it looked like it bounced off the ice..

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

ye i thought it was a double deflection. Poni down then Brown up

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:06 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Nice to finally see a road win in person after previously being 0-3. Not many worse feelings than being a losing fan on the road. This was great to talk a little smack. Especially since I've seen the Kings get destroyed way to often in that building.

On the reffing, this is why it's so dumb to complain about officiating (and it's been happening a ton in the GDT's) it all evens out over an 82 game season. The missed call on Lidstrom was just as bad as the one called on Greene in LA.

On the goaltending. I think they need to play Quick the majority of the way. He is the Kings starting goaltender after all. Not every game, but I think Quick needs ton get 2/3 the rest of the way.

Good.

It's about time they started rewarding players who are playing hard and producing in 2011, not based on what they did in October or how good a career they've had.

I think this should be a buyout situation this summer. I can't even imagine how bad he is going to look in March 2012
And to totally blow your theory out of the water, instead of Smyth, they put............Ponikarovsky......... so much for the rewarding players who are playing hard and producing in 2011...

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:10 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Bernie to start versus Columbus per Hammond.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauspaint View Post
Not that it matters much (since Kings won) Ch 13 later showed replay from behind the goalie and Brown's stick was few inches away from the point of deflection.. it looked like it bounced off the ice..
It definitely did not hit Brown's stick. It bounced up off the ice.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:14 PM
DeeMeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Bernie to start versus Columbus per Hammond.
What?!?!?!?!?

So Quick "grabs hold of it" like Murray wanted and he still goes back to Bernier?

Let the craziness ensue.

Old
03-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
What?!?!?!?!?

So Quick "grabs hold of it" like Murray wanted and he still goes back to Bernier?

Let the craziness ensue.
How is it craziness making sure he doesn't run Quick into the ground like he did last year? The overreaction to Bernier getting starts down the stretch is unbearable. Just because Bernier is getting a few starts doesn't mean Quick is not still the #1.

Old
03-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Fishhead

Pretty solid game from nearly everyone. Smyth did look slow out there. One thing I don't see Smyth do, though, is make a stupid play. He's a step behind, but he still plays smart.

It's really obvious when he's going against a team with good speed like Detroit, he kind of gets left behind. He still made some nice plays against the boards, it's just getting the puck there in the first place. I'd actually like to see him get some rest, and if the Kings go on a roll and can wrap up a spot, some press box time would do him good as far as getting ready for the playoffs.

The breakouts were way better than usual last night. Detroit's up-tempo and counterattack style forces a team to really move the puck quickly. I hope they continue to use quick breakouts because they will overwhelm some opponents if they do.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
And to totally blow your theory out of the water, instead of Smyth, they put............Ponikarovsky......... so much for the rewarding players who are playing hard and producing in 2011...
Actually they replaced Smyth with Williams on the #1 PP. A move that should have happened long ago.

Poni had been working hard the previous few games and was rewarded with time on the second PP unit and he did something Smyth has only done once in the previous 17 games, he scored a goal.

They also said they wanted to increase movement on the PP so taking a guy off the PP who has the mobility of the Gordie Howe statue out front of the arena was a nice start.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:20 PM
DeeMeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
How is it craziness making sure he doesn't run Quick into the ground like he did last year? The overreaction to Bernier getting starts down the stretch is unbearable. Just because Bernier is getting a few starts doesn't mean Quick is not still the #1.
I don't mind getting Bernier starts...but Quick is coming off of a fantastic game despite the softie.

People keep using the "let's not burn out Quick before the playoffs" way too much. we still have to make the playoffs.

You put out the goalie that gives you the best chance to win. Sometimes that goalie is Bernier.

It is just my opinion...but Quick gives us the best chance to win the next game. Nashville is on this roadie as well. Bernier gives us the best chance to win THAT game.

Old
03-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
Yep.

Bernier needs to get his starts in now. I would guess Quick is going to start the last 3-4 games of the season so he is sharp heading into the playoffs.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Well, I hate to tell you this, but - he sure did. I couldn't get the channel 13 broadcast from where I am, but on the Detroit telecast, it seemed pretty clear that Brown deflected it.
Looks like the league disagrees with you...

Quote:
For those who didnít see it in the notes, last nightís second-period power-play goal is now credited to Alexei Ponikarovsky, not Dustin Brown.
http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/03/10...nier-to-start/

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Still worried about Doughty. He should really wear a mouth guard.

Rew Wings' commentators suck! " He ran into his elbow," wtf!

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:
Seriously. You have to keep him fresh for the playoffs, it's not like playing Bernier a few games here at the end of the season is going to kill us. Maybe Bernier isn't stealing us any games like Quick is, but he's going to be solid at the very least. And if you aren't going to be comfortable starting him against Columbus, who can you start him against?

Seventyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:32 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Starting Bernier isn't crazy.

Murray telling Quick that he wants to play Quick more often down the stretch and that Quick grabs onto the #1 spot, and then Quick robs the league's highest scoring team blind, then doesn't get the next start, is a bit wacky.

Quick has only played 49 games with only 15 games to go. Quick would have to play every game left to get run into the ground. There is only 1 back-to-back left. Quick won't get run into the ground.

Playing Bernier is all well and good, its the timing of it considering Quick's play yesterday and Murray's remarks before the game that makes it seem counter-intuitive to what Murray said.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Starting Bernier isn't crazy.

Murray telling Quick that he wants to play Quick more often down the stretch and that Quick grabs onto the #1 spot, and then Quick robs the league's highest scoring team blind, then doesn't get the next start, is a bit wacky.

Quick has only played 49 games with only 15 games to go. Quick would have to play every game left to get run into the ground. There is only 1 back-to-back left. Quick won't get run into the ground.

Playing Bernier is all well and good, its the timing of it considering Quick's play yesterday and Murray's remarks before the game that makes it seem counter-intuitive to what Murray said.
Just because Bernier is starting doesn't mean Quick isn't still "grabbing the reins!"

Quick will get the majority of the starts down the stretch. Bernier will get worked in every once in awhile. People are analyzing this way too seriously.

Old
03-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Holmstrom got face washed by JJ

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote