HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bettman: ''Pacioretty injury is horrible, but part of the game.''

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2011, 02:05 PM
AlexGalchenyuk94
NHL Managerial Guru

vCash: 500
Can't believe Bettman laughed in the face of the Air Canada's threat. I hope they pull the sponsorship immediately. If I was running the company, the sponsorship agreement would be terminated immediately. Bettman's time is up. He's a dictator, how the **** can the NHL get rid of him?

Old
03-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
Bettman is a lot of things, but he isn't stupid. The league's stance on this issue, along with many others involving player injuries this year, will come into play in the upcoming civil case surrounding the Moore/Bertuzzi incident.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/col.../17515946.html

If the NHL were to make a statement that the Chara hit was wrong, or anything other than a 'hockey play', it would give ammunition to Moore's side of this upcoming case. The unfortunate part of all this is that Pacioretty's life and career basically gets treated like a pawn in this game of legal chess...
...and this is how the world turns and what it runs on. Backdoor agreements, corruption, special interests, etc... We're the pawns here IMO.

Old
03-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimkay View Post
What I don't understand is that nobody here (Montreal) cared when Booth, Savard or Crosby got hammered by vicious, illegal hits.
You know full well why: because it happened somewhere else.

And it should come as totally expected that when it hits home, you see more outrage. This is just a reality of life. You think Canadians, or anyone else except Japanese, would care as much about the earthquake that hit Japan as an earthquake that occurred locally? Of course not.

But that does NOT negate the fact that people are right to be outraged.

Old
03-10-2011, 02:08 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
I'm on top of a building, throw a bowling bowl off it trying to land in my net where I'm playing, instead, I miss and hit the guy that walks out of nowhere. Am I responsible?
If the NHL is in charge of common law, no go ahead and do it. If it's the Canadian government you're ******.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
Bettman is a lot of things, but he isn't stupid. The league's stance on this issue, along with many others involving player injuries this year, will come into play in the upcoming civil case surrounding the Moore/Bertuzzi incident.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/col.../17515946.html

If the NHL were to make a statement that the Chara hit was wrong, or anything other than a 'hockey play', it would give ammunition to Moore's side of this upcoming case. The unfortunate part of all this is that Pacioretty's life and career basically gets treated like a pawn in this game of legal chess...
But they made another mistake. If they had suspended Chara this would not of happened. Now he may have just opened the NHL up to another lawsuit. Chara keeps changing his story not looking good right not.

Last edited by PyrettaBlaze*: 03-10-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old
03-10-2011, 02:15 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Coaches to their players: "I've received a memo from Bettman that the hit on Pacioretty is part and play of the game, so next time, you have someone in a vulnerable position, please take advantage of it, it doesn't matter, it's only the life and career of the person that gets injured, what's more important is that we have a better chance at 2 points!!!"

**** Bettman and his Penguins and now his Bruins. I detest this league.
I'm trying to be supportive, but explain that part to me.

Old
03-10-2011, 02:15 PM
almostjesus*

Quote:
What I don't understand is that nobody here (Montreal) cared when Booth, Savard or Crosby got hammered by vicious, illegal hits.
How much do you care when you drive by an accident on the highway? You just like to look and that's the end of your day.

Sad but true. I like how people keep bringing up this exact same argument.

Yeah, as much as I dislike Crosby after all the diving he's done in his career I feel bad. When any player is taken away from the game they grew up playing it's sad.

But realistically, unless someone was killed I don't think anyone would be as passionate about it if it wasn't their team.

Just like if the opposite happened and someone did this to Chara ( some how) the Bruins would be calling in the U.S. Air Force to back them up. Sure they'll deny it but it can never be proven unless it did happen.

Watch, if anything happens on the 24th it'll be "revenge" to Bruins fans. Mark my words.

Old
03-10-2011, 02:19 PM
tiersen24

Quote:
Same reason why USA waited for Pearl Harbor before entering WW2 I guess....

Not that people didn't care but emotions weren't as high as they are when the action is close to you....

Old
03-10-2011, 02:20 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Bettman must go.

Old
03-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Bobs your uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Coaches to their players: "I've received a memo from Bettman that the hit on Pacioretty is part and play of the game, so next time, you have someone in a vulnerable position, please take advantage of it, it doesn't matter, it's only the life and career of the person that gets injured, what's more important is that we have a better chance at 2 points!!!"

**** Bettman and his Penguins and now his Bruins. I detest this league.
Might I suggest you find another sport to fill your entertainment time.
Perhaps you will be less agitated with a different diversionary past time.
Cheers!

Old
03-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Hopefully next time against those idiots that somebody can run Chara's face into the end boards or Lucic/Horton's into the crossbar and knock them out for the year...I have no respect for them and whatever injuries they get going forward will be a result of their past dirty plays and loose lips...you can also include Marchand in there, his crap is 5 x worse than anything Subban ever said.

Old
03-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Habit11

Has anyone in the league called Pacioretty to see how he's doing?

Old
03-10-2011, 02:26 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiersen24 View Post
Same reason why USA waited for Pearl Harbor before entering WW2 I guess....

Not that people didn't care but emotions weren't as high as they are when the action is close to you....

Close the thread after this. Awesome.

Old
03-10-2011, 02:26 PM
BBrowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
If this becomes part of the game, then I'll watch another sport.

Why not add spikes on the board to add a little ''lol'' factor? Or concrete blocks that randomly fall on the ice at times?

What a stupid league.
I'm all for it. LOL at least we won't be pretending it's a real sport anymore, which is what gets us all worked up!

Old
03-10-2011, 02:28 PM
antoniojr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
apparently the Habs wanted to go visit but it was suggested to wait a bit to go see him

Old
03-10-2011, 02:29 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
now youre just being silly, as if

Old
03-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Le Casque de Mats

''Bettman's idiocy is horrible, but part of the game.''

I guess.

Old
03-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
You should have put "Bettman Extraordinarily Comfortable with Decision" in the title, as per his own quote. Glad they can sleep at night...

Old
03-10-2011, 02:34 PM
MtlPenFan

Bettman is the Keebler Elf, and Campbell and Murphy are his minions who live in the shoe with him.

Old
03-10-2011, 02:36 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Your team's fan base and record speak for themselves.

There's a reason Orr, Neely, Bergeron and Savard have all suffered career-threatening/ending injuries. You build a team that plays a certain way, and other teams will take liberties on them.

Your fans scream for blood, pumping up guys like Lucic and Thornton, calling it 'old-time' hockey. They're right, it is 'old-time' hockey, only it's from the 1940s and 50s. Somewhere along the way people forgot to tell teams like the Bruins that the game changed, and so you had 'the Big Bad Bruins' of the 70s who people claimed were playing a new style of in your face hockey. They weren't, they were a relic that other teams passed by. And they still are a relic. That's why they haven't won anything since 1972.

The Canadiens of the 70s showed how to beat teams like the Bruins and Flyers: By playing hockey. The influx of European talent into the league only further highlighted this with the Oilers in the 80s, the Penguins in the 90s, and the Devils and Red Wings after them. All teams built to play hockey. Yes, they had their tough customers, but that wasn't their identity. It was window dressing. The Bruins, however, decided to keep this identity. And look where it's gotten them. Out of the playoffs at the worst of times and chokers at the best.

And it's not like they don't have talented players. Bergeron, Krejci, Savard... But they decide to force this ridiculously archaic team identity onto them so you end up having little ******* like Brad Marchand shooting off his mouth in the media when he couldn't box his way out of a wet paper bag. Just to rile things up, to make the guys in the locker room feel like big men, and to make their fans feel like big men.

It doesn't work. Maybe they'll fluke their way to a Cup one of these days, they certainly have the talent to, but it isn't a recipe for success. All it does is create bad blood, and when other teams retaliate it costs them the Orrs of the world, and the Neelys and now the Bergerons and the Savards. And the fans don't care, and the team doesn't care.
Well have you met some people from Boston? Believe it or not a lot of them are really nice people. Sure there are the stereotypical Bostonians just like stereotypical Phillidelphians(LOL) but they aren't all wannabe tough guys.

I've experienced the whole tough guy from Boston routine first hand before, but lets not generalize. Some of their fans aren't total idiots.

Old
03-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
now youre just being silly, as if
yeah, i know. that was a loaded question.

Old
03-10-2011, 02:38 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Part of the game...
Torture is part of life, but I don't want any part of it. Bettman fails, and makes the NHL look even worse.

Old
03-10-2011, 02:40 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
And if he got right up after the hit, it would be an odds on favorite for hit of the year and would be closing in on 1,000,000 views on YT.

This is a perfect example of people wanting a penalty based on the injury, not on the hit.
But here's the thing, he didn't and why didn't he? because his head hit the ****ing pole and not his chest. It's an interference, an illegal play, that was dangerously close to a career ending hit. It can't be treated like the others because its a watershed moment. Suppose Cooke hit Savard and he gets back up and is perfectly fine, does anyone give two ***** about blindsides till someone is seriously injured again? No, they don't. This is a case where the NHL could've stepped up and made a case of "OK we haven't seen anything like this happen before, it's a new thing that someone is in a vulnerable position and is pushed in we don't want to see it happen anymore. Chara sorry your the first too harm someone here's 2 because we never knew how to treat it, however anyone in the future caught doing this it's 10 from now on". Doing something similar to what happened with the Blindside DVD, the league gave out.

The fact of the matter is, Air Canada is a sponsor, they have been for some time. If they decide that they don't want to sponsor a league that behaves in such a manner that is their prerogative. Only other Airline that could move as many players in Canada for flights would probably be West Jet. Anyone here whose claiming that the CEO of Air Canada is in anyway affiliated with MTL has no idea on that matter the same way any MTL fan claiming that Charas intent was to harm pacioretty. This could've been a situation of watching a series of events unfold amongst incidents across the league Savard, Crosby and then seeing this particular gruesome instance and having enough. The letter was leaked after all so you can't say one way or another of whether or not this was supposed to be a private manner discussed only between Bettman and Air Canada

A basic rule in this league is the high-stick and the justification of that rule is that "you need to have control of it, at all times". A prevailing factor of these new hits is people not in control of their body due to a momentary lapse in judgement and this leads to injuries. I For one believe that those momentary lapses in judgement, the players should be responsible for and should be suspended for. In Cookes and Richards case, it was driving towards a vulnerable Savard, in Steckels it was skating through a player looking the other way. Finally in Chara's it was a player that was probably gonna be fine until that last push, and that last push would've been what sealed his fate in my opinion

This is what I posted in the business of hockey thread I think its the most coherent thing i've written yet

Old
03-10-2011, 02:40 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
rangers fan coming in peace but im furious about this hit. the fact that bettman says its part of the game is laughable hes never played hockey. i cant believe chara got nothing. gary bettman also comes into my job from time to time, needless to say i do not speak to him. he lives a few towns over from me

Old
03-10-2011, 02:41 PM
CorpseLW

With the Phoenix story and now this "satisfied with decision" and "consistent" crap on the hit in Montreal, Bettman and the NHL governors are coming off as an organization living on another planet. If ESPN in the U.S. and TSN (maybe throw in some other major news media) have some daytime discussion on this almost unreal position, I'm pretty sure that there are going to be some changes.

I've been saying this whole season that the league hasn't gotten the new headshots rule correct anyway. Punishment when there shouldn't be and non-punishment when there should be.... how many times have YOU seen it this season? some people need to either get trained, eye exams, or the NHL needs to straighten out their procedures for video review and assessment.

Also, does anyone think that the board configurations could be made more uniform across the entire league? might that help?

Old
03-10-2011, 02:42 PM
wakeup

Can't believe Bettman. I understand that he might not be happy with Air Canada but that's a shady comment towards any sponsor.

Closed Thread