HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rumor: Khabibulin back to Phoenix

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2005, 02:54 PM
Wizz

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizz
Rumor: Khabibulin back to Phoenix

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/184133.html

The article is in french, but it says that RDS has sources telling them Khabibulin will be back with the Coyotes, which he played for from 1996 to 1999. "Bulin Wall" still has a house in Arizona.

We'll see...

Old
07-24-2005, 03:35 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

That will be a great move for PHX. THey are looking very good and if they get him as well, they could be kind of scary.

I guess if Gretzky's gonna coach, he might as well have the best team to work with.

Now all Pittsburgh needs to do is sign Joseph and these two can meet in the finals!

Old
07-24-2005, 04:42 PM
Gwyddbwyll

I dont get it.. why does RDS know about this before anyone else? Why does the arguably #1 free agent sign before the market is set? Its been 6 hours since the article came out and the other networks havent picked up on it.. have to conclude this is likely false.

Edit - Just double checked and teams cannot negotiate with UFA's until August 1st. Guess this is nothing more than back room speculation.

Last edited by Gwyddbwyll: 07-24-2005 at 04:49 PM.
Old
07-24-2005, 07:51 PM
cassius

I just don't see that happening. Tampa Bay will probably give him a VERY good contract offer and I assume he will take it. I think Khabi would much rather stay with his Stanley Cup winning team than go to a project franchise such as Phoenix.

Old
07-24-2005, 07:55 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Actually he just bought house Phoenix .. (4 million or something like that..)

Old
07-24-2005, 08:02 PM
hbk

wasn't Khabby also less than impressed with the decision to start John Graham for a couple of non-playoff games.

Last edited by hbk: 07-24-2005 at 08:07 PM.
Old
07-24-2005, 08:13 PM
Phanuthier*

One thing for sure is if Tampa loses Khabibulin, he will be sorely missed. As much as it pains me to say this, Tampa is one of the teams right now that have the best chance at building a modern-day dynasty (modern-day meaning an evolved term of dynasty, and not the days of the Isles, Oilers and Habs).

If you ask me, Khabibulin was their MVP of the finals, not Brad Richards. The guy is one of a few select goalies that can steal games and series on his own, and cannot be easily replaced by anyone on the market right now. They could always roll the dice on a Nooranen or Toskala out there, but that will set a very good team back IMO if their new No 1 doesn't step in and star right away.

Old
07-28-2005, 12:54 PM
Bolthed

In Tampa that RDS story has led to allegations that Phoenix may have tampered with Khabibulin before he hit the UFA market.

GM Jay Feaster has even commented on it ...

Quote:
"To the extent that it's true, I look forward to slapping the Phoenix Coyotes with a tampering charge," Feaster said. "We have received a number of memos from the league about the exclusivity period topic making sure we are all clear on the rules. We had heard it even last week, we discussed it with his agent and his agent said they had had no discussions. So, I just chalk it up to rumor."
Here's the link.

Didn't the St. Louis Blues pay a heavy price for tampering with Scott Stevens? Wonder what the league will do if Barnett and Gretz get caught with their hands in the cookie jar?

Old
07-28-2005, 12:56 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm
That will be a great move for PHX. THey are looking very good and if they get him as well, they could be kind of scary.

I guess if Gretzky's gonna coach, he might as well have the best team to work with.

Now all Pittsburgh needs to do is sign Joseph and these two can meet in the finals!
Yeah, CURTIS JOSEPH will get you to the finals. Please, he's the most overrated goalie in the entire NHL, just watching him is like, ugh, what a joke.

Old
07-28-2005, 01:01 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed
Didn't the St. Louis Blues pay a heavy price for tampering with Scott Stevens? Wonder what the league will do if Barnett and Gretz get caught with their hands in the cookie jar?
I doubt anything has been discussed, and if it has its only passing conversation which wont get you four or five first round picks or whatever the charge is for tampering. Theres not even really enough in the budget to sign him, considering what he will fetch on the market.

Old
07-28-2005, 01:36 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Color@do @v@l@nche
Actually he just bought house Phoenix .. (4 million or something like that..)
I understand he's always had a house in Phoenix (since he played there), so this is just a different one.

Old
07-28-2005, 01:39 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX
I doubt anything has been discussed, and if it has its only passing conversation which wont get you four or five first round picks or whatever the charge is for tampering. Theres not even really enough in the budget to sign him, considering what he will fetch on the market.
Here's what Jay Feaster told me when I asked him about this:

Quote:
Not only can't other teams "negotiate" with Nik or his agent, they can't even DISCUSS a deal with his agent or even speak with them.

Old
07-28-2005, 04:21 PM
XX
... Waiting

The point is your not going to get a tampering conviction based on rumor.

Old
07-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Actually, the point is, it IS a rumor, and a very silly one at that. Not to mention it's several days old.

Old
07-28-2005, 05:56 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
You said "if it has its only passing conversation ...." and I was pointing out that they were not allowed to do even that.

Old
07-28-2005, 06:19 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

It's very hard to prove something like tampering(in the St.Louis case, they left a paper trail of it IIRC), and it probably does happen, especially if a guy they want has the same agent as one of their players or some other UFA, but I doubt it's something that goes on alot, and probably hasn't happened in this case. IMO, it's just speculation, or their source is a guy who knows Khabby and they believe Khabby is interested in Phoenix or something like that.

Closed Thread