HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Tortorella Discussion (Update: Torts extended 3 years)

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2011, 03:04 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Bottom line is Torts isn't going anywhere. Next year Drury will be gone and that ridiculous amount of cap space for 0 goals will be reallocated towards actual production.

Old
03-10-2011, 03:08 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I look around the league and ask, are there any other coaches that blame bad contracts and injuries when they fail? Just curious......

Old
03-10-2011, 03:14 PM
xxxZENxxx

In the end, I would be very surprised to see Torts let go. Sather has bought into the youth movement and he seems comfortable with Torts leading/teaching the young kids. It also would be an odd move given that Richards could be floating out there as an UFA this summer and is known to really like Torts as a coach.

Old
03-10-2011, 03:15 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I look around the league and ask, are there any other coaches that blame bad contracts and injuries when they fail? Just curious......
Not with the camera rolling..

Old
03-10-2011, 03:19 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
So your position is that we have sufficient skill to be a playoff contender but the team is simply not living up to those expectations because of the coach?

Old
03-10-2011, 03:34 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
So your position is that we have sufficient skill to be a playoff contender but the team is simply not living up to those expectations because of the coach?
Exactly always the case. Plus good G, that is must have. Should we have a good coach, we could have made a lot of noise in those 7 non-playoff years. Geese, if we could only have had Renney, although he would not be the best, we would have been in second round evey other year.

Old
03-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
You can't discount circumstance. The playoff spot was ours for the taking, even with bad contracts and injury excuses.

Old
03-10-2011, 03:36 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
In the end, I would be very surprised to see Torts let go. Sather has bought into the youth movement and he seems comfortable with Torts leading/teaching the young kids. It also would be an odd move given that Richards could be floating out there as an UFA this summer and is known to really like Torts as a coach.
Wrong. Torts was not brought in to teach. Youth movement is Sather's plan B, when he realized that Torts failed to deliver on what he was actually brought for: get us deep in playoffs right away.

Old
03-10-2011, 03:41 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Tortorella isn't getting fired. Not happening.
The question was not whether he will be fired, but whether he should be canned...

Old
03-10-2011, 03:45 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
Jagr putting in 100+ pts kinda helped. Relegating it to the coach seems like it really discounts way too much
Last year Gaborik was far off Jagr? Not by much. Is that why we missed?

Old
03-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Wrong. Torts was not brought in to teach. Youth movement is Sather's plan B, when he realized that Torts failed to deliver on what he was actually brought for: get us deep in playoffs right away.
He was brought in to stop the bleeding of a team that was getting outplayed and falling rapidly in the standings...not make it some kind of overnight cup contender.

For Christsake 3 of the team's top 4 point scorers were gone after that season. What does that tell you about the GM's faith in that squad?

Old
03-10-2011, 04:02 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
He was brought in to stop the bleeding of a team that was getting outplayed and falling rapidly in the standings...not make it some kind of overnight cup contender.
Then he has to use his abilities right about NOW. Stop the bleeding, at the moment it is there big time. If he does, keep him. If not, not.

Old
03-10-2011, 04:11 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Did Tortorella join this discussion and blame bad contracts and injures? Because I believe this is just a bunch of fans' opinions on what has contributed to our team's present standing.

Old
03-10-2011, 04:24 PM
AdamGravesNight

Send a message via AIM to AdamGravesNight Send a message via Yahoo to AdamGravesNight
Torts doesn't use excuses, he calls it like it is. I doubt he gets fired this year, as he's in a D'Antoni-like spot. Next year he'll need to make the playoffs though.

Old
03-10-2011, 04:29 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGravesNight View Post
Torts doesn't use excuses, he calls it like it is. I doubt he gets fired this year, as he's in a D'Antoni-like spot. Next year he'll need to make the playoffs though.
if the team takes a step back next year i'll be calling for his head too, pretty much regardless of the injury or contract situation

but so far i completely support him and actually think he's done a fantastic job as the coach of this team

Old
03-10-2011, 04:37 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

not a chance on gods green earth he gets fired...well wait strike that there is still 13 games left he could do something crazy to change that so ill agree its highly unlikely. Should he be fired? i dont think so and i cant stand the guy.

He's made drastic improvements from last season but he still has to figure out a way to get his team to show up for the first half of games on a consistant basis. Yes its great that they dont give up and fight back but they shouldnt be in that position to begin with. Hopefully that issue can be resolved with the acquisition of some veteran pieces and having a REAL captain. All things considered, he deserves another year to show progress with the youth transition.

Old
03-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embryo View Post
Typical impatient NY fans. Firing Renney really made a difference huh? That worked, oh wait we missed the playoffs the next season and lost in the first round after we fired him.
Very debatable that we even make the playoffs that season if Renney isn't fired. The team was in a major tailspin, Torts turned it around and we almost stunned a heavily favored Caps team. I'm no fan of the water bottle theatrics, but other than that he did a great job.

Old
03-10-2011, 04:48 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner View Post
Very debatable that we even make the playoffs that season if Renney isn't fired. The team was in a major tailspin, Torts turned it around and we almost stunned a heavily favored Caps team. I'm no fan of the water bottle theatrics, but other than that he did a great job.
Which we will do this year as well

Old
03-10-2011, 04:49 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Exactly always the case. Plus good G, that is must have. Should we have a good coach, we could have made a lot of noise in those 7 non-playoff years. Geese, if we could only have had Renney, although he would not be the best, we would have been in second round evey other year.
and a rejuvenated Jagr, jones'n over the new NHL. He was spoiled and didn't get his way in Washington. But hey, that Renney is a nice guy. He let Jagr play however he wanted too with all of his Czech buddies so he would never feel home sick like he did with the Pens.

Yea, It was fun having arguably the best right winger in the history of the game for only a couple of years until inevitably, he got too old. Moreover, he was kept happy because as I said, Renney is a hell of nice guy. So nice, that he didn't employ his stingy defensive system (yet) like the coach in Washington had the balls to play despite what Jagr wanted.

He was a stubborn coach who wouldn't give in to Jagr's demands ("they didn't utilize my tools there" Jagr explained). Renney did (although I'm sure he knew it would only last short term), and than waited until later, when Jagr, Straka, and other aging stars were gone before implementing the same system Jagr grudgingly played under while in Washington. So we had a couple of 2nd round exits for a few years until Jagr had nothing left.

Renney and Jagr did keep us mediocre while the stubborn staff in Washington took a different route, sacrificing having too possibly go through one or two poor seasons (without an aging Jagr who only had 2 or 3 good years left and he, Straka, and Nylander were certainly not the type players you're looking to build a team around for the betterment of the franchise's future) before drafting Backstrom and Ovechkin.

Old
03-10-2011, 05:09 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGravesNight View Post
Next year - NYR fans favorite year of them all !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner View Post
Revisionist history. Great job is an overstatement, especially considering Torts was afforded the two things Renney kept saying he needed that year(while he was 8 wins over .500) - size down the middle and another veteran Dman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
and a rejuvenated Jagr, jones'n over the new NHL. He was spoiled and didn't get his way in Washington. But hey, that Renney is a nice guy. He let Jagr play however he wanted too with all of his Czech buddies so he would never feel home sick like he did with the Pens.

Yea, It was fun having arguably the best right winger in the history of the game for only a couple of years until inevitably, he got too old. Moreover, he was kept happy because as I said, Renney is a hell of nice guy. So nice, that he didn't employ his stingy defensive system (yet) like the coach in Washington had the balls to play despite what Jagr wanted.

He was a stubborn coach who wouldn't give in to Jagr's demands ("they didn't utilize my tools there" Jagr explained). Renney did (although I'm sure he knew it would only last short term), and than waited until later, when Jagr, Straka, and other aging stars were gone before implementing the same system Jagr grudgingly played under while in Washington. So we had a couple of 2nd round exits for a few years until Jagr had nothing left.

Renney and Jagr did keep us mediocre while the stubborn staff in Washington took a different route, sacrificing having too possibly go through one or two poor seasons (without an aging Jagr who only had 2 or 3 good years left and he, Straka, and Nylander were certainly not the type players you're looking to build a team around for the betterment of the franchise's future) before drafting Backstrom and Ovechkin.
More revisionist history.

Sather kept us mediocre, how this is not understood by now is just lunacy.

Renney, like Torts, tried to win with what he had, and at the same time afford the right time and space to all the kids making a difference on TODAYS team. He didn't perform miracles, but you make it seem like his tenure here was a waste, when in fact it was exactly what the franchise needed. And THAT is what some fans don't understand, nor have patience for, when its about building a winner.

Old
03-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

The team could lose every game here on out, and I still don't think Torts would get fired.

Old
03-10-2011, 05:43 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
The team could lose every game here on out, and I still don't think Torts would get fired.
Please read post #334. It isn't far away.

Old
03-10-2011, 07:27 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHamiltonsTan View Post
not a chance on gods green earth he gets fired...well wait strike that there is still 13 games left he could do something crazy to change that so ill agree its highly unlikely. Should he be fired? i dont think so and i cant stand the guy.

He's made drastic improvements from last season but he still has to figure out a way to get his team to show up for the first half of games on a consistant basis. Yes its great that they dont give up and fight back but they shouldnt be in that position to begin with. Hopefully that issue can be resolved with the acquisition of some veteran pieces and having a REAL captain. All things considered, he deserves another year to show progress with the youth transition.
agree that the slow starts have been an issue...iirc we had the same issues under Renney as well.

Torts is here another year.

Old
03-10-2011, 07:28 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:

Revisionist history. Great job is an overstatement, especially considering Torts was afforded the two things Renney kept saying he needed that year(while he was 8 wins over .500) - size down the middle and another veteran Dman.

Renney, like Torts, tried to win with what he had, and at the same time afford the right time and space to all the kids making a difference on TODAYS team. He didn't perform miracles, but you make it seem like his tenure here was a waste, when in fact it was exactly what the franchise needed. And THAT is what some fans don't understand, nor have patience for, when its about building a winner.
It's exactly my point. This team is mediocre now and it's Sather's doing. So why are we talking about potentially firing "Torts," when we all agree the team is where it is because of Sather. Shouldn't this be a "if we don't make the playoffs, Sather should be fired."

Old
03-10-2011, 07:36 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:

It's apparently not, hence these kinds of threads pointing fingers at the wrong person. Not unless people are bored of complaining about Sather. It's time to try someone else until a young team puts it together.

Closed Thread