HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bettman: ''Pacioretty injury is horrible, but part of the game.''

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2011, 02:42 PM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
rangers fan coming in peace but im furious about this hit. the fact that bettman says its part of the game is laughable hes never played hockey. i cant believe chara got nothing. gary bettman also comes into my job from time to time, needless to say i do not speak to him. he lives a few towns over from me
You should talk to him next time. Ask him if he feels that every young player who comes up according to him should have to play differently against teams like Boston or Philly and just lay down and take a loss, or else fear getting injured.

I'd like to hear what kind of response if any he'd come up with. Probably no comment.

Old
03-10-2011, 02:45 PM
wakeup

Old
03-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeup View Post
Gary Bettman and the league office are "extraordinarily comfortable" with the decision that this is a clean hockey play. Great PR. What a noble league.

Old
03-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Joe Cole

After hours of being pissed off about this.... I came to the realization that no one cares.

No one cares about this injury except Max, and his family.

The NHLPA will do nothing - the protect the antagonist
The league will do nothing - they protect the TV contracts
The team will do nothing - they protect their local revenues
His team mates will do nothing - they protect their own self interest
The media will do nothing - they just need stories
The fans will do nothing - they just want their games

The truth is, you protect yourself in the NHL. Get your stick and elbows up high and protect yourself. No one else will. Who cares if the team wins that game, you have the rest of your life to protect.

I hate what happened, but at the end of the day, we are all complicite.

Old
03-10-2011, 02:57 PM
NewHabsEra*

Of course Bettman you can do without Air Canada, now lets see where this league would be without Canadians teams.. You are such a pain in the ass for this sports and its real fans..

Do Quebec citizens really believe Betman has any intentions to bring back a hockey team there? He said it himself that he was worried about the enthousiasm of the fans, that he had no plan for a return of the NHL there.. Thats gonna be a wonderful empty building.. Cant wait till this American sold clown is fired...

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 03-10-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old
03-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Intense

"I'm extremely comfortable about the decision to move the six canadians franchise to Las Vegas, Orlando, San Francisco, Seattle, Portland and Alabama."

- Bettman

Old
03-10-2011, 03:09 PM
SB164

From Twitterverse:

HabsPhD Emmett Macfarlane

Of course Gary Bettman doesn't think neck fractures are a big deal. He's spineless. #NHL

Old
03-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Intense

If I'm an owner I want that midget fired for telling a major sponsor to go **** itself.

Old
03-10-2011, 04:01 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
From Twitterverse:

HabsPhD Emmett Macfarlane

Of course Gary Bettman doesn't think neck fractures are a big deal. He's spineless. #NHL
Hahahaha

Oh Snap!

Old
03-10-2011, 04:23 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
"As for Air Canada threatening to pull its sponsorship over such injuries, Bettman says the league can find other carriers if Air Canada doesn't want the NHL's business."

Anyone else think that is a big **** you to every sponsor in the league?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=357385
Canadian teams fly Air Canada. Bettman would just as well see Canadian teams ride the bus.

Old
03-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizniewski View Post
Can't believe Bettman laughed in the face of the Air Canada's threat. I hope they pull the sponsorship immediately. If I was running the company, the sponsorship agreement would be terminated immediately. Bettman's time is up. He's a dictator, how the **** can the NHL get rid of him?
A big reason why he has such power it's because most of the owners that are there right now it's Bettman that placed them there. The owner of Minnesota for instance wanted to come to the NHL, Bettman gave him Nashville so Jim Ballsille wouldn't get it with the promise that he would get a good NHL market in return down the line. When the Wild went for sale, Bettman gave him Minnesota. The guy has his pawns all over the league. In the past, a little group of powerfu owners(like the Molsons) were controling the league, not anymore. It's all Bettman.

Old
03-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Why doesn't the Molsons pull their 350 million that they just gave to the league?

Old
03-10-2011, 04:48 PM
le_sean

He's an American business man that started his career with the NBA. I bet he doesn't even know what an offside is.

I'd like to see him say that speech to the parents of every single player that has had a head injury this season.

Old
03-10-2011, 04:59 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He's an American business man that started his career with the NBA. I bet he doesn't even know what an offside is.

I'd like to see him say that speech to the parents of every single player that has had a head injury this season.
of course the idiot desn't know what offside is!!!!

Old
03-10-2011, 05:02 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
bettman is a lawyer by trade
what does everyone expect?

Old
03-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsNation514 View Post
I don't know what he's done that's great business. He lost major tv deals and put fans through a lockout so the owners could steal a few more shekels. NFL won't do that, despite the rhetoric.
He is a horrible business person. He is short sighted, narrow minded and a poor leader in a crisis. BUT he does what the owners tell him to do. You'll notice most businesses are not concerned with the quality of the product they put out, moreso about their revenue and bottom line. This narrow minded approach to business is why the economy is in such bad shape.. so much waste on superficial things such as advertising.

It sickens me to think about where the money in our economy goes.

Old
03-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Pleky Roks

Bettman has no clue about the game. He's a business man who trying to keep teams in non-hockey markets where they are losing millions of dollars a year.

If Bettman understood the game of hockey and actually seen the product on the ice, he'd know that wasn't a strong hockey play because it was a penalty. Strong hockey plays are battling hard in the corner and coming out with the puck and making a good play.....not injuring players with illegal hits!!

God the NHL needs to wake up!!

Old
03-10-2011, 05:15 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleky Roks View Post
Bettman has no clue about the game. He's a business man who trying to keep teams in non-hockey markets where they are losing millions of dollars a year.

If Bettman understood the game of hockey and actually seen the product on the ice, he'd know that wasn't a strong hockey play because it was a penalty. Strong hockey plays are battling hard in the corner and coming out with the puck and making a good play.....not injuring players with illegal hits!!

God the NHL needs to wake up!!
I hate the term "hockey play" used by Murphy and Bettman.

The mere fact there is a penalty called on the play means there is an absence of fair play. That's not a "hockey play", it is clear interference. It makes zero sense.

Old
03-10-2011, 05:19 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Want a platform?

Check out NHL.com. Bettman is holding some sort of summit with hockey fans from the US political world.

You can call in at 1-877-645-6696

Old
03-10-2011, 05:25 PM
SB164

Stephen Brunt (Globe and Mail columnist) doesn't seem to be surprised by what Bettman said about Air Canada.

He's on Team 990 right now, saying that when Gary Bettman's got his back turned against the wall or feels threatened, this is exactly the type of person he turns into. Bettman does NOT become stateslike, or rise above the situation, he becomes - in Brunt's words - petulant.

He did, however, call Bettman an excellent boardroom manager.

Last edited by SB164: 03-10-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old
03-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Belso

Bettman has never even remotely ever admitted to making any mistake or done anything differently since he has taken the job as commissioner. I don't expect him to back down now. Basically, that's why I hate him so much. Perfect example of a pompous arrogant businessman who would sell his own mom if he saw a profit in it. He doesn't care about anything but keeping his job and salary.

Hope you get what's coming to you Bettman.

Old
03-10-2011, 05:34 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
Bettman has never even remotely ever admitted to making any mistake or done anything differently since he has taken the job as commissioner. I don't expect him to back down now. Basically, that's why I hate him so much. Perfect example of a pompous arrogant businessman who would sell his own mom if he saw a profit in it. He doesn't care about anything but keeping his job and salary.

Hope you get what's coming to you Bettman.
that is for sure, that what happens, always, in cases like this.

Old
03-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Bettman has never shown any ability to diffuse a situation. He seems to like to adopt a war-like mentality and designate enemies. This may very well hurt him, especially since in the last week has started a war of words with:
- Air Canada
-The Canadian House of Commons
- The Goldwater Institute
- The Montreal Canadiens organization

He will eventually make enough enemies that he won't be able to fight back. I doubt that is now, but it will happen.

Old
03-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Why doesn't the Molsons pull their 350 million that they just gave to the league?
Molson Breweries signed the contract. Not the Molson sons who own the team. But Ya, I agree that.
Goeff probably has enough pull to maybe do something about that new contract...

Old
03-10-2011, 05:37 PM
pucky

There's many problems with the League including Bettman.

Two in particular I'll mention:
1) inconsistency with discipline - this has been going on for how long?

2) leniency and a vague interpretation of checks and what's allowed - imho, one of the main problems is accepting this idea of 'finishing your checks.' I bet if you really look into it, many of the serious injuries and concussions is a result of someone finishing their check. The play is done or the puck is pushed ahead but the opposing player 'finishes his check' by destroying another player who has cleared the puck already.

There's already a problem with lack of respect and 'cheap shots' even by those who aren't considered goons but this idea that you can finish your check by slamming into another player who's vulnerable means more chance for injury.

But, Bettman doesn't care about these things is that it's not part of the profit motive. Maybe if all the superstars were getting concussed or in the hospital, maybe he'd have to do something.

Closed Thread