HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings vs. Red Wings - 03/09/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
03-10-2011, 02:46 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Just because Bernier is starting doesn't mean Quick isn't still "grabbing the reins!"

Quick will get the majority of the starts down the stretch. Bernier will get worked in every once in awhile. People are analyzing this way too seriously.
On the contrary, we aren't analyzing much at all. This is just all taking Murray's words vs. Quick's performance strictly at face value.

Its not a big deal. I don't really care. I'm happy to see Bernier start. Its just another instance of Murray being a bit whacky. That's it dude. No more, no less.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
Looks like the league disagrees with you...

http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/03/10...nier-to-start/
Haha! Gotta love Kings fans.. we're ****ing arguing over who scored the game winning goal. I'll focus on the positive, at least there was a game winning goal for us fans to argue over.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 03:38 PM
alpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Holmstrom got face washed by JJ

I can watch that over and over again and love it every time.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 03:52 PM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
Still worried about Doughty. He should really wear a mouth guard.

Rew Wings' commentators suck! " He ran into his elbow," wtf!
On the replay, they were laughing about it, but they acknowledged it was Bert getting him with the elbow and they said later that it was a missed call. The Wings guys aren't that bad, IMO.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Haha! Gotta love Kings fans.. we're ****ing arguing over who scored the game winning goal. I'll focus on the positive, at least there was a game winning goal for us fans to argue over.
...and the icing on the cake: it was a powerplay game winning goal!

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 03:56 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
...and the icing on the cake: it was a powerplay game winning goal!
Therefore our powerplay must not suck after all...

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Therefore our powerplay must not suck after all...
It's the new PP system.

Maybe Poni would have 20+ goals this season if he got some PP time.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I think this should be a buyout situation this summer. I can't even imagine how bad he is going to look in March 2012
And replace him with who exactly? Have you looked at the list of UFA's? And we all know the Kings' (and DL's) history with signing UFA's...

Old
03-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
Quote:

You ever seen pictures of mouth guards with teeth in them? The mouth guards NHLers wear or either upper or lower and most will do almost nothing to stop an impact directly to your grill.

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
On the replay, they were laughing about it, but they acknowledged it was Bert getting him with the elbow and they said later that it was a missed call. The Wings guys aren't that bad, IMO.
The color commentator (not Larry Murphy) has got to be one of the worst homers in the league. I don't mind the PBP guy or Larry Murphy.

Old
03-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
Quote:
And replace him with who exactly? Have you looked at the list of UFA's? And we all know the Kings' (and DL's) history with signing UFA's...
IF the Kings landed Richardson Smyth would be traded. The odds of Lombardi out bidding Toronto or New York aren't good. Hopefully Smyth will be motivated to train extra hard this summer, do a program like Luc did when he re-gained a step, and make some money on what should be his last NHL contract.

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
The FA pool is thin, no doubt, but there are still plenty of better options than Smyth.

Richards, Tanguay, Arnott, Fleischman, Hejduk, Vrbata, Knuble.

And Tikk, Smyth has a NMC. He cannot be traded (without his consent) or even buried in Manchester if the Kings were able to sign Richards this summer.

Can't wait to see how he looks a year from now.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 04:51 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
What?!?!?!?!?

So Quick "grabs hold of it" like Murray wanted and he still goes back to Bernier?
... Well, it's good to see Murray do something right for a change. And this isn't directed at you in particular, but I wish memories around here went back a little more than a day or so. Ten days ago, after Quick's last performance against Detroit at home, there was anything but the complete confidence in him that people apparently have now. The sentiment was more along the lines of "we gotta give him a start to restore his confidence", to give Quick a pity start I guess? Then a week ago, Bernier shuts out Phoenix, and the talk is anything BUT "Quick is our guy". And now, it's a big issue that Bernier stars against Columbus? Amazing how one game can completely change the mindset.

Also, look over at the other thread started in here - the "hey guys I want Detroit in the playoffs, we'll sweep them lulz" thread. I mean, come the **** on. Where's the memory around here? Detroit absolutely kicked the Kings' ***es in L.A. no more than a week and a half ago, it wasn't a "fluke win" at all. And now, after a win by the skin of their teeth, the Kings are suddenly ready to handle Detroit easily in the playoffs? That Detroit isn't to be feared anymore? Might want to check some recent playoff history on that one; take a second to check the standings, also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
Looks like the league disagrees with you...
... Is this the same league that said Smyth scored with a high stick in Ottawa? Okay. But whatever, I saw the puck go in off of Brown and I'm glad to come away with the win regardless. The NHL can give the winning goal to Westgarth for all I care.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Nice to finally see a road win in person after previously being 0-3. Not many worse feelings than being a losing fan on the road. This was great to talk a little smack. Especially since I've seen the Kings get destroyed way to often in that building.
Question: are Wing fans at the Joe as obnoxious as the ones at Staples Center? I've always had a theory that their real fans in Detroit are classier (similar to their organization and their non-Chelios players) and the clowns who come to Staples are just bandwagoners, most of whom have probably never been to Michigan.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
I can watch that over and over again and love it every time.
That and Mickey Redmond at the end "You can't stinky up his face." It just sounds so much dirtier than it was really intended.

As for Bertuzzi, Drew ran into Bertuzzi's arm, no way was Bertuzzi trying anything more than to fend off Doughty. That's not a penalty, If it doesn't hit Drew directly in the nose then no one ever talks about it.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 04:56 PM
DeeMeck

Mouthguards help prevent concussion more than anything.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 05:02 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Well, it's good to see Murray do something right for a change. And this isn't directed at you in particular, but I wish memories around here went back a little more than a day or so. Ten days ago, after Quick's last performance against Detroit at home, there was anything but the complete confidence in him that people apparently have now. The sentiment was more along the lines of "we gotta give him a start to restore his confidence", to give Quick a pity start I guess? Then a week ago, Bernier shuts out Phoenix, and the talk is anything BUT "Quick is our guy". And now, it's a big issue that Bernier stars against Columbus? Amazing how one game can completely change the mindset.

Also, look over at the other thread started in here - the "hey guys I want Detroit in the playoffs, we'll sweep them lulz" thread. I mean, come the **** on. Where's the memory around here? Detroit absolutely kicked the Kings' ***es in L.A. no more than a week and a half ago, it wasn't a "fluke win" at all. And now, after a win by the skin of their teeth, the Kings are suddenly ready to handle Detroit easily in the playoffs? That Detroit isn't to be feared anymore? Might want to check some recent playoff history on that one; take a second to check the standings, also.

... Is this the same league that said Smyth scored with a high stick in Ottawa? Okay. But whatever, I saw the puck go in off of Brown and I'm glad to come away with the win regardless. The NHL can give the winning goal to Westgarth for all I care.
Yeah I agree, I do think Quick should have a start vs Columbus, purely to get some momentum going for the Kings in this stretch run. I think Bernie should have gotten the Stars game, but I do understand Murray's point about his goalie schedule.

Also think it's a little early to be talking crap about teams we might face in the playoffs, particularly the Red Wings. I respect that organization too much to crap on them like that. I wouldn't want to face Detroit in the first round, as there is a lot of playoff experience on that squad.

DryIslandBartender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
The FA pool is thin, no doubt, but there are still plenty of better options than Smyth.

Richards, Tanguay, Arnott, Fleischman, Hejduk, Vrbata, Knuble.

And Tikk, Smyth has a NMC. He cannot be traded (without his consent) or even buried in Manchester if the Kings were able to sign Richards this summer.

Can't wait to see how he looks a year from now.
I'll take Richards but I won't be holding my breath. Arnott wouldn't be a bad stop gap at center and I believe both he and Richards have played wing as well which would offer some flexibility with lines.

Still though, I doubt we'll see either of those guys in a Kings uniform. DL strikes out on UFA's every summer. There is no reason think that will change.

Old
03-10-2011, 05:04 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
What?!?!?!?!?

So Quick "grabs hold of it" like Murray wanted and he still goes back to Bernier?

Let the craziness ensue.
Like when Bernier shut out the Coyotes last week, and Quick started the next game vs Vancouver?

Terry Murray abandoned the "Win and You're In" mantra long ago.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 05:08 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:

It bugged me more when I heard the commentator chuckling about it on the immediate replay.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Question: are Wing fans at the Joe as obnoxious as the ones at Staples Center? I've always had a theory that their real fans in Detroit are classier (similar to their organization and their non-Chelios players) and the clowns who come to Staples are just bandwagoners, most of whom have probably never been to Michigan.
My family is from Michigan and while I haven't been to the Joe when the Kings are playing (been to other games), I haven't seen really anything close to the obnoxious behaviour of some of the Red Wings fans that come to Staples. People in the midwest are pretty friendly people.

I think at Staples (or any visiting arena for that matter) there are a good number of Detroit bandwagoners but LA has a pretty large amount of Michigan transplants. Go to an Angels/Tigers game and you'll see quite a few Tigers fan (myself being one of them).

I called a guy out on not being from Detroit once at Staples only to have him show me his Michigan drivers license. I felt like a total ass!

Old
03-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

On a side note, when I went to the first Winter Classic in Buffalo, I wore my Kings hat because it was basically like Hockey-Palooza that day and I got a ton of comments about the Kings like "I love Kopitar" etc from people that didn't know I was actually from LA. And the handful of people that found out I came from LA (including Brooks Orpik's parents who were sitting in front of me) were super pumped that 1) I came to Buffalo and 2) came from LA to watch a hockey game.

The WInter Classic was probably my favorite sporting event I've attended along with seeing the Red Wings play the Red Army at the Joe in 1991 and the 2005 Rose Bowl. That was one hell of a bender the night before followed by an amazing football game. Unfortunately Michigan lost but I still won my bet on the spread.

Old
03-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post

Well as long as YOU saw it, it must be true... even though the stats say otherwise.

Wait... now who do I sound like?

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote