HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bettman: ''Pacioretty injury is horrible, but part of the game.''

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2011, 06:47 PM
strutsboa

vCash: 500
Bettman is actually kind of right, injuries like these is a part of the game...

Because he has been a huge part of making it that way!

Old
03-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Santino

they should air this on every sports station.

Old
03-10-2011, 07:49 PM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
After hours of being pissed off about this.... I came to the realization that no one cares.

No one cares about this injury except Max, and his family.

The NHLPA will do nothing - the protect the antagonist
The league will do nothing - they protect the TV contracts
The team will do nothing - they protect their local revenues
His team mates will do nothing - they protect their own self interest
The media will do nothing - they just need stories
The fans will do nothing - they just want their games

The truth is, you protect yourself in the NHL. Get your stick and elbows up high and protect yourself. No one else will. Who cares if the team wins that game, you have the rest of your life to protect.

I hate what happened, but at the end of the day, we are all complicite.
Wrong. You were pissed off for hours because YOU cared.

We are not complicit to a culture that allows for this kind of garbage. In fact we are near unanimous on this board for our outrage over OTHER teams players getting targeted by head shots or just dirty plays leading to injury.

Bottom line, we are not the watch dogs of the league but we unfortunately have seen one our young players get nearly killed and are reacting accordingly. We were outraged when it happened to players on other teams so of course we'll be inconsolable if it's one of ours. That's natural.

At any rate you cared enough to be ticked off so your theory of nobody caring about Max but Max and his family is not correct.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:00 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

The fact that Pacioretty's home and that he got on the computer to open a twitter account, or write a message, must mean in some way that the concussion isnt that severe. Am i mistaken?

Old
03-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
The fact that Pacioretty's home and that he got on the computer to open a twitter account, or write a message, must mean in some way that the concussion isnt that severe. Am i mistaken?
Yes and no, I have heard from alot of people that it could take up to a week for concussion symptoms.

Old
03-10-2011, 08:05 PM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
Yes and no, I have heard from alot of people that it could take up to a week for concussion symptoms.
also, he is probably on so many meds due to the broken vertabrae that he doesnt feel the whole effect of the concussion just yet...

Old
03-10-2011, 08:11 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

It is not true and if this was in any way part of the rationalization for not penalizing Chara after revue then Bettman is retarded. What happened was a foul, that is, an infraction, something against the rules. It's like if I worked at an NHL office and was embezzling money, and I argued "that's part of my job."

Bettman & Campbell must go!

Old
03-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Anyone who wonders what's wrong with the NHL...needs to look no further than it's commissioner.

There are never any problems in the NHL, everything is peaches and cream, just ask the commissioner, he'll tell you...........at length.

Last edited by Nashy: 03-10-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old
03-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Actually it's fine with me.....So if this part of the game, everything is. That's the kind of game they want, the roller derby one, go ahead.

Oh and Kubina's play wasn't just a "strong hockey play"????

So what the league is telling us is that until it's written in black and white on the rulebook, everything is part of hockey. Is there any rule in the book that says you can't bring a chainsaw on the ice? Might as well do it till it's time. How stupid can you ever be so that everthing needs to be written. Hey, blind side hits was "legal" and part of hockey till it's written it wasn't anymore. I mean, the "intent to injure" rule was not enough so that it could cover everything?

Old
03-10-2011, 08:53 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Actually it's fine with me.....So if this part of the game, everything is. That's the kind of game they want, the roller derby one, go ahead.

So what the league is telling us is that until it's written in black and white on the rulebook, everything is part of hockey. Is there any rule in the book that says you can't bring a chainsaw on the ice? Might as well do it till it's time. How stupid can you ever be so that everthing needs to be written. Hey, blind side hits was "legal" and part of hockey till it's written it wasn't anymore. I mean, the "intent to injure" rule was not enough so that it could cover everything?
Pretty much.

It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. It's not a strong hockey play to committ interference, that's why it's a penalty. It is not allowed within the rulebooks. So how is a penalty a strong hockey play? So Perezhogin's stick swing was a strong hockey play? I mean it's in the rulebook as a penalty and the result of the incident was unfortunate, but it was just a strong hockey play.

I don't know who taught Chara how to pinch a player off the boards, but I know that most people are taught to lead in with the hip and gluteal area to block off the skating avenue. To deliver a bodycheck, it was always to keep your arms tucked in and to bring your shoulder into the body. So how is extending one's arms into the head of an opponent in a shove a good strong hockey play? Isn't that what the majority of the damage done in hits from behind from the players extending their arms and shoving that player towards the boards?

Old
03-10-2011, 08:56 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
Anyone who wonders what's wrong with the NHL...needs to look no further than it's commissioner.

There are never any problems in the NHL, everything is peaches and cream, just ask the commissioner, he'll tell you...........at length.
I am not defending Bettman, but I don't think he would fire the guys in charge of discipline over this even if he disagreed with their decision. I am not a fan of Bettman, but that's what most leaders would do at this point. He is not going to come out and trash the league or the job he has done.

Old
03-10-2011, 09:00 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
I am not defending Bettman, but I don't think he would fire the guys in charge of discipline over this even if he disagreed with their decision. I am not a fan of Bettman, but that's what most leaders would do at this point. He is not going to come out and trash the league or the job he has done.
It isn't just this issue. It's every issue, year after year, and it just keeps getting worse. Players arent being policed, they are not responsible for their actions, the punishments aren't severe enough and so things continue to get worse. That is why you have to snuff out problems as soon as they arrive, else they feed on themselves, growing into a monster and something like this happens because of reckless players who still take none of the blame. Society likes to blame the victim.

Old
03-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

The league is run by lawyers, by giving no suspension, nothing wrong/illegal was done (in the NHL's view), and hence no guilt or a chance for litigation.

This league is all about dollars and cents, not player safety or welfare.

Sometimes I forget that.

Old
03-10-2011, 09:04 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
It isn't just this issue. It's every issue, year after year, and it just keeps getting worse. Players arent being policed, they are not responsible for their actions, the punishments aren't severe enough and so things continue to get worse. That is why you have to snuff out problems as soon as they arrive, else they feed on themselves, growing into a monster and something like this happens because of reckless players who still take none of the blame. Society likes to blame the victim.
I agree. I am just saying in reference to him calling it peaches and cream in a press conference, you will rarely hear a leader of anything trash his own guys for the job they have done. Trying to keep things under control is how they are told to operate.

Old
03-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Quote:
I agree. I am just saying in reference to him calling it peaches and cream in a press conference, you will rarely hear a leader of anything trash his own guys for the job they have done. Trying to keep things under control is how they are told to operate.

My peaches and cream comment with Bettman was regarding anything having to do with the NHL....headshots, the Phoenix sale, attendance or even Air Canada threatening to pull sponsorship.

There is never ever anything wrong with the NHL, according to Bettman, and that is exactly what the problem with the NHL is.

You never have to address a problem if you don't admit you have one.

Old
03-10-2011, 09:17 PM
andy28

I am not saying its right, nor am I on Bettman's side. I am just saying you will be hard-pressed to find a leader who would do that unless he was forced by public opinion to throw his staff under the bus.

Old
03-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

that's because they are afraid to take responsability. sa,e thing happened with Cooke on Boot. there was no rules against it so they didn't do a thing. these guys are a joke.

Old
03-10-2011, 09:21 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Quote:
I am not saying its right, nor am I on Bettman's side. I am just saying you will be hard-pressed to find a leader who would do that unless he was forced by public opinion to throw his staff under the bus.
Agree with you on that point.

All I'm saying is that a fish rots from the head down.

Old
03-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

Translated:

''Pacioretty injury is horrible, but it makes me money.''

Old
03-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

"Our hockey operations people are extraordinarily comfortable with the decision that they made," Bettman told reporters following a panel discussion on Capitol Hill on the state of the game in the United States.

This is vintage Bettman.

Your hockey operations people should not be "extraordinarily comfortable", which is Bettman spin at its finest.

They should be sweating ****ing bullets with this decision.

When your reviewing something of this magnitude....the word "comfortable" shouldn't even be in the same ****ing paragraph.

Again, everything is great we're comfortable, don't worry, be happy.

Nothing will change as long as Bettman remains in charge.

Old
03-10-2011, 11:39 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Bettman is the one that put himself in that position. The man doesn't even know what hockey is. I'm sorry, but he doesn't. This man is a dog. He would kneel down and crawl for money. That's all he cares about. Not only that, but he has a tremendous ego and refuses to admit defeat when it comes to his decision to move Canadian teams into ridiculous US areas such as phoenix.

He let things deteriorate, year after year.

Anybody remembers the article of Tyler Dellow? Not sure you can find it online anymore but I have a copy on my desktop. Bettman had a clear opportunity to clean some of the people in place when there were emails leaked that showed how Campbell acted in such unprofessional ways regarding officiating. Name calling referees, talking about his son which showed incredible bias. No man in Campbell's position should have ever conducted himself as was shown in the emails. It was ridiculous and embarrassing. I was quite surprised that nothing really came from this news that was truly incredible to me.
Bettman showed full support and passed it on as nothing.

The man is a pure imbecile and let things get worst.

I'm very glad to see other players, sponsors, politicians, police and media outlets taking things more seriously.
This isn't about Chara, or Lucic, or MaxPac. This is about completely incompetent personnel in charge of the NHL and killing the sport I have been in love with since I could walk.

There is a fine line between not publicly throwing your staff under the bus and backing up their every move.

Old
03-10-2011, 11:44 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
"Our hockey operations people are extraordinarily comfortable with the decision that they made," Bettman told reporters following a panel discussion on Capitol Hill on the state of the game in the United States.

This is vintage Bettman.

Your hockey operations people should not be "extraordinarily comfortable", which is Bettman spin at its finest.

They should be sweating ****ing bullets with this decision.

When your reviewing something of this magnitude....the word "comfortable" shouldn't even be in the same ****ing paragraph.

Again, everything is great we're comfortable, don't worry, be happy.

Nothing will change as long as Bettman remains in charge.
I couldn't believe it when I heard "extraordinarily comfortable"... extraordinary is the word that gets me. A 2 game suspension and there wouldn't have been a fraction of the backlash we see now. And more importantly, it would have been deserved. But no, they are extraordinarily comfortable with nothing. Complete arrogance.

Bettman is a smarmy little twerp... but we already knew that years ago.

Old
03-10-2011, 11:47 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
So they can diagnose you with a concussion, yet have no direct impacts on your health upon to 1 week after the insident? Thats scary.

Old
03-10-2011, 11:51 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Bettman is the one that put himself in that position. The man doesn't even know what hockey is. I'm sorry, but he doesn't. This man is a dog. He would kneel down and crawl for money. That's all he cares about. Not only that, but he has a tremendous ego and refuses to admit defeat when it comes to his decision to move Canadian teams into ridiculous US areas such as phoenix.

He let things deteriorate, year after year.

Anybody remembers the article of Tyler Dellow? Not sure you can find it online anymore but I have a copy on my desktop. Bettman had a clear opportunity to clean some of the people in place when there were emails leaked that showed how Campbell acted in such unprofessional ways regarding officiating. Name calling referees, talking about his son which showed incredible bias. No man in Campbell's position should have ever conducted himself as was shown in the emails. It was ridiculous and embarrassing. I was quite surprised that nothing really came from this news that was truly incredible to me.
Bettman showed full support and passed it on as nothing.

The man is a pure imbecile and let things get worst.

I'm very glad to see other players, sponsors, politicians, police and media outlets taking things more seriously.
This isn't about Chara, or Lucic, or MaxPac. This is about completely incompetent personnel in charge of the NHL and killing the sport I have been in love with since I could walk.

There is a fine line between not publicly throwing your staff under the bus and backing up their every move.
Well said. Well saod.

Old
03-11-2011, 12:08 AM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Was on Patches twitter. Had 11,861 then one minute later i refreshed and he hit 11,960 . While im writing this, I refresh it now and he has 11,966. So + 100 in 1 Minute and + 6 in 15ish seconds Epic

Im about to click post but decided to refresh again. 11,973

If you are bored, go try it out, Hes gaining followers quickly! Means people support him. Heats up my heart

Closed Thread