HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Looking back at the Gagne trade.

Old
03-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Fly Guy View Post
Pretty Sure Hartnell's run last year in the playoffs, was better than anything Gagne has ever done in the playoffs.

Hartnell has 15 Goals in 62 Games and 17 Assists.

Gagne in 90 games has 32 goals and 15 assists.

And what Hartnell did last year with Leino and Briere ecspecially in the cup far exceeds anything I have ever seen Simon do in the playoffs.
Did you miss the Boston series?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 03:08 PM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
4.2 million for that?
He has had several 20+ goals seasons and a 30 goal season, not to mention a pretty good playoffs last season.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 03:15 PM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Gagne had a slow start, injured, etc. I would still take Gagne over Zherdev even at the difference of $3.25mill. The hole is on the LW, Gagne is a perfect fit for Laviolette's game.
No thanks.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 03:23 PM
LI Fly Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Did you miss the Boston series?
No didn't miss a second of it.

Hartnell played sick in that series as well as Gagne.

Am I missing something?

LI Fly Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 03:27 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Just for the hell of it in here, not saying where he's going to go, but how much do you think his contract is worth starting next season?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Fly Guy View Post
No didn't miss a second of it.

Hartnell played sick in that series as well as Gagne.

Am I missing something?
Gagne scored the game winning goals in game 4 and 7, and IMO was a crucial reason why they won. Hartnell was good, but Gagne was more valuable.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
No thanks.
$5.25 playing LW in a system that needs a strong defensive wing to work, or a guy who is going to ride the pine due to his lack of work ethic.....dude, this is a no-brainer.

Old
03-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
No thanks.
You're right. We don't need Gagne or Pronger for that matter.

All we need is Carle.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
which Gagne? The one during the 2004 TB & 2010 BOS series, or the no show for every other playoff series?
You, seriously, prefer Zherdev and Shelley?

The other thing that people don't seem to grasp is that Gagne's EXPIRING deal had real value to us... BECAUSE IT WAS EXPIRING.

As of now we have three contracts on the books for next year (Walker, Leighton, and Shelley) that I don't particularly like having on the books.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
hated it then and still hate it. there were other options. Holmgren just didnt want to do it.

lousy, lousy move by Holmgren.

but no Holmgren had to have his 1.5 million dollar minor league goalie, his lousy enforcer on a bad cap hit and Mezsaros.
Could of traded Carle. or Hartnell. Why would Gagne want to come back after getting disrespected by this organization?
Salary dump my ass.
It wasn't a lousy move at all and time is only vindicating him further. Here's a note though, Meszaros (spell it right), Carle and Hartnell are ALL out performing Gagne. Holmgren wanted to keep them over him for sure but for damn good reason, they're better players and earning less.

Salary dump, your ass or not.

Quote:
Holmgren would rather have what Hartnell and Shelley "bring" to the runk then a solid 2 way player like Gagne.
That's the thing though bud. Gagne isn't a solid 2 way player, at least not any more. He's a good defensive player who is providing 30 points max.

I know you love Gagne, we all do. It's not 2004 any more though, that Gagne is long gone and we were wise to move him on and use the space to improve the team. That's exactly what we did.

1865 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:20 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
We free'd up cap room with his trade. I wouldn't mind to see him signing back with Philly but that would only be if Leino and the Flyers can't agree on a good contract.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:53 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Tough to decide whether I like this trade or not. On one hand, it , at the time, allowed us to get his $5 million contract off the table and make a move to get Mezsaros.
On the other hand, it wasn't worth using that cap space to sign Jody Shelley to an awful contract and bring zherdev in.
Then again, we don't really know whether or not Simons current numbers are an indication of what he would have put up if he was still a flyer. Maybe he'd have 50+ points right now, maybe he'd have 20. We don't know. His play has been declining for a while now, and while he's still much more reliable and serviceable than both Shelley and zherdev, it's hard to decipher the benefits of a trade where things aren't that cut and dry. It's also hard to find too many bad things about a recent trade when our team is first in the conference. I guess we'll see what happens come playoff time.
Would I rather have gagne on the ice over Shelley and zherdev? Of course I would. Would I rather have gagne on the ice over Mezsaros and Hartnell (like someone suggested earlier) **** no.

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 11:05 PM
AtlasRust

Whoever would rather have Gagne than Hartnell is crazy. Hartnell is one of the few guys on the team who actually embodies what people would consider the prototypical Flyer... Gagne hasn't done anything this year, while Hartnell is on of the most productive lines in the league...

AtlasRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 11:46 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
We free'd up cap room with his trade. I wouldn't mind to see him signing back with Philly but that would only be if Leino and the Flyers can't agree on a good contract.
Considering how Leino is playing, I don't know how well a contract will go. IF Leino were to be let go, I'd love to get Gagne back. He at least makes smart plays and is a great two-way player still with a scoring touch with the right players.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 01:10 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You, seriously, prefer Zherdev and Shelley?

The other thing that people don't seem to grasp is that Gagne's EXPIRING deal had real value to us... BECAUSE IT WAS EXPIRING.

As of now we have three contracts on the books for next year (Walker, Leighton, and Shelley) that I don't particularly like having on the books.
exactly. He could of kept Gagne, let Leighton walk into free agency, not signed Shelley and let that lazy POS Zherdev stay in the KHL and we still could of traded for Meszaros. Fine we all get it. Gagne isnt the player he once was, but his expiring contract could of been valuable. Honestly who would you rather have on Richards wing this year? Gagne or Andreas Nodl.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 01:13 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasRust View Post
Whoever would rather have Gagne than Hartnell is crazy. Hartnell is one of the few guys on the team who actually embodies what people would consider the prototypical Flyer... Gagne hasn't done anything this year, while Hartnell is on of the most productive lines in the league...
call me crazy then. When Briere cooled off, so did the rest of that line.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 01:18 AM
freakydallas13

the only way gagne comes back is if Leino doesn't

freakydallas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 01:23 AM
StandingCow

You think he would even come back at this point? I would think he is loving life in tampa now.

StandingCow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 07:56 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
1) Walker counts as a contract on our 50 man limit, and will be salary against the cap this summer. So, he counts for ****.

Shelley shouldn't dress for a single playoff game, and I'm no more confident in Zherdev come playoff time.

We'll put aside Gagne's injury struggles, and the fact that he was adjusting to a completely new team and system... Gagne struggled mightily last year, too. Did you like having him on the Flyers come playoff time? I betcha did.

Then again, if Gagne was still on the Flyers with 10 goals and a -18 you'd still be giving him BJs like you do everyone else on the team.
Ohhh, he counts against our 50, big deal. Gagne would have counted for 5 million US dollars, that is much more significant than the 1 roster spot of the allowed 50. OK, we will forget Gagnes stuggles and injury history - if we do that, then of course I would like to have Gagne. But this isn't fantasy world.....it is real life and we can't forget the most important factors in the decision.

I loved Gagne as a Flyer and my stance is clear, you wear Orange and Black - I cheer for you and wish you all the best. You leave the team, your dead to me. If Gagne was on this team, Richards line would be better and we would have problems with our D. It was a necessary move and we have plenty of playoff proven guys left on this team.

Last edited by phillyfanatic: 03-11-2011 at 08:24 AM.
phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:00 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Come on, do you really think that Gagne on this team would have the stats he currently has? In Gagne you are also talking about one of the better defensive LW's in all of the NHL.
Nope - he is a past his prime injury prone left winger being paid about 2 million more than he is worth. 20 goal scorers don't make 5.25M in the NHL anymore. How many goals did he score for us last year? 17. And that was playing with Richards. How many does Nodl have on the same line this year? 10. Are those 7 goals really worth an extra 4.4 million per?

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:45 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Storm View Post
You're right. We don't need Gagne or Pronger for that matter.

All we need is Carle.
Well, if Carle continues to play the way he's played the last couple games, this might be true.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:49 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
You think he would even come back at this point? I would think he is loving life in tampa now.
There was a reason that the first item of Homer's offseason plan, only a week after the Cup loss, was to ask Gagne to waive his NTC. Then he acquired Hamhuis' rights.

There was some kind of issue in the room last year that is not there this year, and getting rid of Gagne solved it. Figure it out.

He's not coming back.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 09:09 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Well, if Carle continues to play the way he's played the last couple games, this might be true.
Even though Carle may be the dumbest defensively minded defenseman on the team, he's been at the top of the team in points (1G 30A now). I can't see him going anywhere.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Nope - he is a past his prime injury prone left winger being paid about 2 million more than he is worth. 20 goal scorers don't make 5.25M in the NHL anymore. How many goals did he score for us last year? 17. And that was playing with Richards. How many does Nodl have on the same line this year? 10. Are those 7 goals really worth an extra 4.4 million per?
We will just have to disagree on this one, his contract was expiring and he is a proven playoff performer and in the playoffs it is the ability to play sound defensively which is the difference maker, Gagne is one of the best LW lock fwds who can provide the offensive game when games get tight. I understand why he was moved, but this team would be a better team with him on the roster even if just for what he provides on that LW defensively, he fits in Laviolette's system of play.

Old
03-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I'm still holding onto the thought that Gagne was doing something that homer didn't like.

There was always something about gagne, People quickly forget when he was re-negotiating his contract, his abuse of the medical staff, he's called out the NHL on it's policy. Turned down the captaincy.

Maybe Gagne was doing things that we as fans were not aware of. For the pitance of a return, homer obviously wanted him off the team quickly.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote