HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Willie Mitchell plans to donate brain to science

Old
03-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Martyros
Allow me to retort

vCash: 500
Willie Mitchell plans to donate brain to science

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...eperiods031011

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:39 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Hopefully he can still play
Sarcasm

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Kings man 4 life

Will they accept mush?

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:44 PM
William H Bonney

Another dreaded "upper body injury" I suppose.

All kidding aside this is great news. Hopefully more and more players from all sports will get on board. Good job Mitchell.

03-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Whiskeypete

i heard on NHL-N the other day that there are currently ~100 NHL and NFL players (former/current) that have already pledged to donate all or part of their brains to this research project. iirc it's being run at BU. i remember Lindros made a huge $$ contribution to them and is involved with them

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings man 4 life View Post
Will they accept mush?
I literally burst out laughing. Thanks alot

Seventyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Chruceg

Regardless of whether or not you like Bill Simmons he has a very interesting discussion with one of the premier individuals studying brain trauma. It's a good listen.

I couldn't figure out how to link directly to the podcast but his home page which I have linked below has it currently (as of 3/10) listed third. It is a conversation with former wrestler and current PHD student Chris Nowinski. Link

Personally I think it is great Mitchell is doing this. The only way we are going to figure out more about this is if we start to monitor it. The podcast makes an excellent point. In Little League Baseball pitch counts are strictly monitored because there is a legitimate fear kids can destroy their arms/shoulders/elbows. Yet there is no account in any sport that monitors head hits in youths. We're more concerned about arm health than brain health?

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Hopefully he can still play
Sarcasm
Doesn't seem to stop Dustin Brown.

Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
A lot of respect to Mitchell for this. The more high-profile individuals to do this, the better. It helps the medical community tremendously.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:12 PM
johnjm22

Probert donated his brain, and Primeau plans to.

Quote:
Researchers at Boston University said Thursday that Probert had the degenerative brain disease Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy. The disease was found through analysis of brain tissue donated by Probert.

Dani Probert said her husband showed a mental decline in his 40s, displayed new and growing problems with short-term memory, attention and a short temper. Those are all symptoms consistent with those showed by other athletes with CTE.

During the last year of Probert's life, Dani Probert said her husband told her he thought he had three or four "significant concussions." But when talking about "getting his bell rung," which the institute says is a concussion by definition, Probert told his wife that his total jumped to "over a dozen."
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=356264

This article is a great read. Pretty scary stuff if you're someone whose suffered multiple concussions.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:19 PM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chruceg View Post
The only way we are going to figure out more about this is if we start to monitor it. The podcast makes an excellent point. In Little League Baseball pitch counts are strictly monitored because there is a legitimate fear kids can destroy their arms/shoulders/elbows. Yet there is no account in any sport that monitors head hits in youths. We're more concerned about arm health than brain health?
I'd say its a bit of a different situation, when you compare youth hockey to pro hockey there's a big difference in speed of play and player strength that contributes to fewer dangerous hits to the head. Whereas in baseball the main concern is that these kids don't know how to take care of their arms, warm up correctly, recover correctly etc. Additionally, professional baseball is just as strict in monitoring the pitch counts as well. There's a much higher risk of a young baseball player doing permanent damage to their arms than a young hockey player suffering a concussion. But I'd concede that football's a different story, as young football players who haven't master tackling techniques may develop a tendency to lead with the helmet.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:30 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I think that Willie Mitchell donating his brain to science would be a heroic act. I won't comment too much on Probie's injuries and decline except to say that he was a great and generous person to most everyone outside of his immediate family and I have never heard any of them complain about his behavior.

If anyone would have known though it would have been Dani.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:37 PM
JMFJ 3

Hopefully this becomes a trend for players who've had multiple concussions (Marc Savard anyone?). The more resources the better.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:41 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

There are a couple of people on this board who should make their donation now because I have no clue W T F they are thinking

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 12:18 AM
Brad Doty
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Doesn't seem to stop Dustin Brown.
I lol'ed so hard!

Good on Willie, though; here's to hoping we learn more very soon.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 12:40 AM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
I'd say its a bit of a different situation, when you compare youth hockey to pro hockey there's a big difference in speed of play and player strength that contributes to fewer dangerous hits to the head. Whereas in baseball the main concern is that these kids don't know how to take care of their arms, warm up correctly, recover correctly etc. Additionally, professional baseball is just as strict in monitoring the pitch counts as well. There's a much higher risk of a young baseball player doing permanent damage to their arms than a young hockey player suffering a concussion. But I'd concede that football's a different story, as young football players who haven't master tackling techniques may develop a tendency to lead with the helmet.
tackling techniques in football are a reason in that sport. hockey has two things that football doesn't have though (3 depending on eqpt).

hockey is played at a faster speed than football. speed translates to force when contact is made, greater the speed - greater the force.

hockey is played in a confined area that has static boards/glass that players come into contact with. most hits in football are in free space, except when someone gets drilled into the ground.

lastly the eqpt in the two sports is somewhat different that is a contributing cause. hockey is seeing a big increase because of the lack of protection to the jaw from hits.

imo the main factors are eqpt, coaching, lack of respect better understanding that has lead to this situation.
-i find it ironic the leagues, nat'l associations haven't done more at looking at some factors relating to eqpt causes. the day they began adding hard plastic caps to elbow and shoulder pads was the 'go' date for players to begin taking harder hits. the day that elbow pads extended down the forearm further and were encased in hard plastic was a negative. i know why it was done - better protection for the player wearing them. on the flip side though what happens when that same player throws a check and gets his/her elbow up high on an opponent. harder impact. shoulder pads are an even bigger issue as they have transformed closer to a football shoulder pad, than a traditional hockey pad. those big ass shoulder cups that better protect a player from shoulder injury also can knock someone out. think Stevens on Lindros, enough said.

-coaching is a few factors. for starters i saw a change back in the late 70s, early 80s when amateur hockey went to full face protection. now that the face was fully protected, players and coaches were less apt to worry about high sticks and contact. checking in the game was used primarily to knock a guy off the puck in the past. a big hit was anything from the avg hit you see today to a big hit we still see. what you didn't see was the amount of huge hits that become 'sportscenter' hits. players respected each other i think more and just hit each other to 'knock them off the puck' not to 'knock them out cold'.

-lack or respect. again i think the addition of the cage/shields had alot to do with this change. from the first day you skated until you are out of juniors/college today, players are encased in metal cages or ballistic shields. even though they are taught to keep their sticks down, it doesn't happen. im yelling at kids every day at practice to keep their sticks down, but they don't care because they've got a cage on and nothing really happens.

the style of coaching when it comes to checking crosses over into this realm also. as i said we were taught to just hit a kid to get the puck. now they are taught to hit to the point of putting them through the boards with each hit. the game is taught much more physically than it was decades ago when i was a kid. i dont recall when they started the 'STOP' campaign, but it was a direct result of this. the campaign was to teach kids to not hit from behind. they literally are putting a stop sign on the back of jerseys (where the name plate goes). the players are told that "if you can read the sign then you cant hit the kid".

ironcally USA Hockey has an upcoming vote this summer on pushing the age limit for checking from pee wee to bantams (from age 12 to 14). this would push the full contact out further. when i started back in the mid 70s we had full contact and we started at age 7 in 1st grade.

-better understanding. the causes, symptoms and diagnosis are better known now than before. for all we know players have been having the same amount and degree for god only knows but they were never diagnosed. the adage of 'if it ain't bleeding or broken, then get back out there' thankfully is going away so kids and adults don't get turned into jello brains

anyways just some thoughts from my perspective as a player and coach. im sure others out there have viewpoints on this also from being around the game, let's here them.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 01:27 AM
Truffle Shuffle

Can we get Marcel Dionne to donate his hands to Brown, like now?

Truffle Shuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:11 AM
yankeeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
There are a couple of people on this board who should make their donation now because I have no clue W T F they are thinking
This had me laughing out loud at 6 in the morning, thanks............this is one of the shames of professional sports they/we have spent more time developing way to continue a career then to protect a mans ( females) quality of life after he is of no use to teams and fans, look at how many old football stars there are from even the fifties=sixties around ,big art donovan and jim brown and he quit early, thank GOD things are getting better with studies like this but if they wait for guys like mitchell to donate it might not happen,GOD willing, for many years

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
I wonder if they'll except my half of brain?

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote