HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Spector's Hockey: Flyers Tight Cap Space for 2011-12

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-10-2011, 09:12 AM
  #1
Dorny12
Registered User
 
Dorny12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Valley Forge, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 36
vCash: 500
Spector's Hockey: Flyers Tight Cap Space for 2011-12

Flyers have a record high cap money already committed for next season. FA's are Nikolay Zherdev, Ville Leino, Sean O’Donnell, Nick Boynton and Brian Boucher, while the RFAs include Dan Carcillo, Andreas Nodl and Darroll Powe. Except for Boucher and Leino (who may already have a deal set) there's probably cheaper options out there. Still would like to hold on to Nodl.

http://spectorshockey.net/2011/03/3390/

Dorny12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:34 AM
  #2
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorny12 View Post
Flyers have a record high cap money already committed for next season. FA's are Nikolay Zherdev, Ville Leino, Sean ODonnell, Nick Boynton and Brian Boucher, while the RFAs include Dan Carcillo, Andreas Nodl and Darroll Powe. Except for Boucher and Leino (who may already have a deal set) there's probably cheaper options out there. Still would like to hold on to Nodl.

http://spectorshockey.net/2011/03/3390/
Losing Leino would be the only problem really, I wouldn't blink if all the others went elsewhere to be honest. Including Boucher.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:38 AM
  #3
ihatebraydenschenn
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SunnyvaleTrailerPark
Country: Canada
Posts: 984
vCash: 500
Eh, I wouldn't mind keeping Powe around for cheap.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:47 AM
  #4
OriginJM
watch out im smart
 
OriginJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,524
vCash: 500
Powe and Nodl both have hands of stone.

That said, they're hard workers, wouldn't mind keeping them.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 12:15 PM
  #5
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,930
vCash: 50
guys like Powe and Nodl are expendable. If they are traded they can be replaced.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:36 PM
  #6
i am dave
Registered User
 
i am dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Corner of 1st & 1st
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
I think one or two of Hartnell, Coburn, and Carle will be moved.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:41 PM
  #7
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
I think one or two of Hartnell, Coburn, and Carle will be moved.
Eh I dont see Hartnell being moved after this season. People hated on him last season and he deserved it, but this season he has been fairly good.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:07 PM
  #8
mypunkrock
Registered User
 
mypunkrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,415
vCash: 500
Powe is not expendable. Has been said before.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:39 PM
  #9
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
I think one or two of Hartnell, Coburn, and Carle will be moved.
Of all the players on the team, these are three of the least likeliest to be moved.

It's way too early to start worrying about this. Let's see how the playoffs play out. Leino might suck.

We might win, and Timonen and Briere decide to retire champs - then we'd have $13 million in cap room to play with. Or Briere might decide he wants to live in Ottawa to keep his kids near his family. Or any number of other scenarios.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 03:42 PM
  #10
Psuhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,853
vCash: 500
Someone is getting traded. I would guess 1 of Carle or Coburn since they are both UFAs at the end of next year. The Flyers can move up Mez and find a cheaper 3rd pair defenseman. I wouldn't be shocked if it was Hartnell though. It could be the same logic the flyers said about Gagne: Gagne at 3.25 mil was worth it, but not at 5.25 mil. Hartnell at 3.2 mil might be worth it but not at 4.2 mil.

Psuhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 04:07 PM
  #11
ilovetheflyers8
Registered User
 
ilovetheflyers8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: D.C.
Country: French Guiana Independentist
Posts: 4,880
vCash: 500
I don't see why we would trade Powe unless we were just over the cap line. He isn't going to get a raise of more than $100,000, and anyone that would come in replace him in all likelihood wouldn't be more than $300,000 cheaper.

edit- I'd like to re-sign Bouch for around 1.1 mil., he's a pretty good back up.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 04:27 PM
  #12
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Of all the players on the team, these are three of the least likeliest to be moved.

It's way too early to start worrying about this. Let's see how the playoffs play out. Leino might suck.

We might win, and Timonen and Briere decide to retire champs - then we'd have $13 million in cap room to play with. Or Briere might decide he wants to live in Ottawa to keep his kids near his family. Or any number of other scenarios.
Yeah and I might sprout wings and fly. No way they're going to leave megabucks on the table.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 05:13 PM
  #13
Mosetter27
Registered User
 
Mosetter27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 927
vCash: 500
Boyton is the only one i can carless if he comes back next season...


the rest I would personally love to see wearing orange & white/black next season

Boosh is the man, carcillo brings great energy, powe and nodl are great workers, and we need at least one lazy russian forward so everyone has someone to point a finger at

forgot o'donnell hes old but god that guy gives 110% every friggen night!

Mosetter27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 11:22 PM
  #14
i am dave
Registered User
 
i am dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Corner of 1st & 1st
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Of all the players on the team, these are three of the least likeliest to be moved.

It's way too early to start worrying about this. Let's see how the playoffs play out. Leino might suck.

We might win, and Timonen and Briere decide to retire champs - then we'd have $13 million in cap room to play with. Or Briere might decide he wants to live in Ottawa to keep his kids near his family. Or any number of other scenarios.
All three will be on expiring contracts at reasonable value, so if anything, they are the three most likely to be moved, because they are three players teams would actually take. Also, the Flyers have $22 million committed to their top 5 defensemen next year. Something eventually has to give.

Either that, or they flip Versteeg.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 11:25 PM
  #15
StandingCow
Registered User
 
StandingCow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 3,537
vCash: 50
I think we would be ok without nodl... not sure about hartnell, if we can get a replacement for in front of the net...

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 11:46 PM
  #16
GirouxCouturier
GirouxMVP
 
GirouxCouturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,333
vCash: 500
I want powe.

GirouxCouturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 03:10 AM
  #17
Nuclear
Registered User
 
Nuclear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 982
vCash: 500
Cap will rise.

Like others have speculated, expect Coburn/ Carle to be moved (hopefully for a mid level 1st rounder)

Nik is gone

I think we'll be fine

Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 06:00 AM
  #18
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,075
vCash: 500
One small sliver of light in the recent team badness is that Leino is looking more affordable every game. Then again, if Holmgren and his agent already have agreed on a number, we might be griping through next year about him making too much over the next couple of years.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:19 AM
  #19
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,613
vCash: 769
assuming the cap raises to $63m

FORWARDS
Kris Versteeg ($3.083m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / James Van Riemsdyk ($1.654m)
Arron Asham ($0.750m) / Jeff Carter ($5.272m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Ville Leino ($3.000m)
Darroll Powe ($0.800m) / Blair Betts ($0.700m) / Andreas Nodl ($0.650m)
Jody Shelley ($1.100m)

DEFENSEMEN
Matt Carle ($3.437m) / Chris Pronger ($4.921m)
Braydon Coburn ($3.200m) / Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / UFA ($1.000m)
Oskars Bartulis ($0.600m)

GOALTENDERS
Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m) /UFA ($1.500m)

SALARY CAP: $63,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,952,488; BONUSES: $1,700,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $747,512

if the cap goes up, Carcillo is the only "significant" player we'd lose and we replace him with Asham (?). Or we waive Shelley, and keep Carcillo

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:43 AM
  #20
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
All three will be on expiring contracts at reasonable value, so if anything, they are the three most likely to be moved, because they are three players teams would actually take. Also, the Flyers have $22 million committed to their top 5 defensemen next year. Something eventually has to give.

Either that, or they flip Versteeg.
Right, there are many options, so why don't we let the playoffs play out to find out who we want to keep.

I have no problem letting Leino go, if his play the last month is what the future holds, vs. how he played in the playoffs last year.

Similarly, I could go either way on Versteeg now, let's see what happens in April, and hopefully May, and maybe June.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:47 AM
  #21
i am dave
Registered User
 
i am dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Corner of 1st & 1st
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Right, there are many options, so why don't we let the playoffs play out to find out who we want to keep.

I have no problem letting Leino go, if his play the last month is what the future holds, vs. how he played in the playoffs last year.

Similarly, I could go either way on Versteeg now, let's see what happens in April, and hopefully May, and maybe June.
Well, there are fewer options than you think. You can't consider retirement of guys with multiple years left on their deals as realistic options - it just doesn't happen like that often enough to warrant such a consideration.

Even if they don't re-sign Leino, I think someone with a $3M-$4M salary range gets traded.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 09:53 AM
  #22
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Yeah and I might sprout wings and fly. No way they're going to leave megabucks on the table.
They are not leaving mega bucks on the table.

Kimmo is leaving 8 million over two years. Briere is leaving 12 million over 3 years. Both deals were significantly front loaded.

Allthough, i think you are right in that I doubt either retires unless the flyers some how gave them a job worth their wages within the club for a few years. a.k.a Cote

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 10:40 AM
  #23
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,366
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
The only guys I would care if we lost would be Powe and Leino. Leino for obvious reasons, Powe because he is one of my favorite players. He is definitely replaceable, but I am just a huge fan of his so I hope he inks a new deal.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:44 AM
  #24
i am dave
Registered User
 
i am dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Corner of 1st & 1st
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
They are not leaving mega bucks on the table.

Kimmo is leaving 8 million over two years. Briere is leaving 12 million over 3 years. Both deals were significantly front loaded.

Allthough, i think you are right in that I doubt either retires unless the flyers some how gave them a job worth their wages within the club for a few years. a.k.a Cote
Briere is owed $19M over 4 years after this season (7+7+3+2), not $12M over 3.

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=749

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:47 AM
  #25
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
assuming the cap raises to $63m

FORWARDS
Kris Versteeg ($3.083m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / James Van Riemsdyk ($1.654m)
Arron Asham ($0.750m) / Jeff Carter ($5.272m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Ville Leino ($3.000m)
Darroll Powe ($0.800m) / Blair Betts ($0.700m) / Andreas Nodl ($0.650m)
Jody Shelley ($1.100m)

DEFENSEMEN
Matt Carle ($3.437m) / Chris Pronger ($4.921m)
Braydon Coburn ($3.200m) / Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / UFA ($1.000m)
Oskars Bartulis ($0.600m)

GOALTENDERS
Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m) /UFA ($1.500m)

SALARY CAP: $63,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,952,488; BONUSES: $1,700,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $747,512

if the cap goes up, Carcillo is the only "significant" player we'd lose and we replace him with Asham (?). Or we waive Shelley, and keep Carcillo
You do realize that Leighton and Walker are signed for next year, right?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.