HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Mid-Season Prospect Poll: Who's #7?

View Poll Results: Midseason #7 prospect
Alex Biega (D) 0 0%
T.J. Brennan (D) 17 45.95%
Paul Byron (C) 2 5.41%
Nick Crawford (D) 1 2.70%
Marcus Foligno (LW) 14 37.84%
Jerome Gauthier-Leduc (D) 0 0%
Connor Knapp (G) 0 0%
Matt MacKenzie (D) 1 2.70%
Kevin Sundher (C) 0 0%
Corey Tropp (RW) 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-10-2011, 08:41 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

vCash: 500
2011 Mid-Season Prospect Poll: Who's #7?

1. Zack Kassian (RW, OHL): 41 of 53, 77.36%
2. Jhonas Enroth (G, AHL): 33 of 48, 68.75%
3. Luke Adam (C, AHL): 31 of 47, 65.96%
4. Brayden McNabb (D, WHL): 28 of 56, 50.00%
5. Mark Pysyk (D, WHL): 28 of 42, 66.67%
6. Drew Schiestel (D, AHL): 25 of 39, 64.10%

Welcome Connor Knapp to the poll.

Candidates:

F: Riley Boychuk, Philip Gogulla, Cedrick Henley, Christian Isackson, Justin Jokinen, Jacob Lagace, Maxime Legault, Felix Schutz, Steven Shipley, Gregg Sutch, Travis Turnbull

D: Mark Adams, Vjacheslav Buravchikov, Corey Fienhage, Drew MacKenzie, Dennis Persson

G: Brad Eidsness, Nick Eno

Ruckus007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:43 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Hmm, classic matchup for me between the high ceiling/long term project Brennan vs the lower ceiling/easily projectable Foligno.

Love what Marcus has done this year. Foligno. Add Sutch and Sutch.

Ruckus007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Foligno, add Isackson

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:45 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Brennan. Still has 2nd pairing upside. Foligno will be next for me.

03-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Jame
Dream '16

foligno

i finally get to vote for someone else

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:48 AM
OpethianSabre20

Brennan, add Isackson

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Close one, but I've decided to go with TJB. Scoring 12 goals and 32 pts in 57 games in your second AHL season is commendable. He had a slow start to the season, but he's really turned it since February began. I like his upside, and I think he'll be in an NHL defenseman after he finishes one more season of his apprenticeship in Portland. While I like a lot of what Foligno brings, I can't bring myself to put a guy who'll likely be a bottom-6 fixture ahead of a guy like Brennan. Foligno's next, though.

Add Isackson.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:27 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I'm gonna go out of the box here with Byron. I thought he was solid in his callup and is closer to NHL ready than any of us realized.

Add Sutch.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:36 AM
OcAirlines

Kind of a drop here at #7... Hm, tough one... Although i don't really like to go with a D-man again, Brennan, Matt Mac, Biega and Crawford are the most appealing options. Really like Folignos development so far, but his ceiling just isn't high enough. I also am excited about what Tropp and Sundher might become, but they haven't forced their way into the high-ranks of my list yet. Although i liked him in his call-up, i still don't think Byron will establish himself as an NHL-player. JGL is good, but not as good as some of the other d-men, Knapp won't come into discussion before the #12-15 range.

I think i'm gonna go with Matt MacKenzie. Add Isackson.

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:47 AM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Foligno. He may not have the highest ceiling in terms of talent, but the guy brings everything that you look for in role players that help teams win when it matters.

Add Isackson.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 11:07 AM
ct2111

Brennan, add Boychuk.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 01:56 PM
jfb392

Foligno over Brennan is ridiculous.

Add Maxime Legault.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:02 PM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Foligno, add Isackson

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Rammstein816

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
Brennan, add Isackson
This.

Rammstein816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 03:00 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Foligno over Brennan is ridiculous.

Add Maxime Legault.
Why?

Brennan has crazy potential, but he's still very raw.

Foligno's ceiling might not be as high, but to me he's a much surer thing, and when you throw the intangibles he brings, it makes up for the talent.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 03:23 PM
mkoster

Though i'm still not allowed to vote yet mine goes to foligno, add Mark "Roo" Adams.

Mentioned it two previous threads can someone inform me if we still hold the rights to Marek Zagrapan.

mkoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoster View Post
Though i'm still not allowed to vote yet mine goes to foligno, add Mark "Roo" Adams.

Mentioned it two previous threads can someone inform me if we still hold the rights to Marek Zagrapan.
They still retain his rights as long as they continue to tender him a contract every June. They did so last year so at the moment, he's still their property.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 03:33 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
Why?

Brennan has crazy potential, but he's still very raw.

Foligno's ceiling might not be as high, but to me he's a much surer thing, and when you throw the intangibles he brings, it makes up for the talent.
I don't think he's really that raw anymore, he's coming along nicely.
He had a decent year last season and struggled to find it at the beginning of this season, but since January he's improved both offensively and defensively.

October until January: 28GP 3-6-9 -4
Since January: 29GP 9-14-23 +13
Pace since January: 0.79PPG (25-38-63 +36 over 80 games)
YTD: 57GP 12-20-32 +9

He's had 15 points in 14 games since February.
He could very well match or exceed his highest junior totals in his second professional season.

I like Foligno a lot and would have put him ahead of Brennan if this poll was in say December, but Brennan has overcome his struggles and in a big way.

Old
03-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
I don't think he's really that raw anymore, he's coming along nicely.
He had a decent year last season and struggled to find it at the beginning of this season, but since January he's improved both offensively and defensively.

October until January: 28GP 3-6-9 -4
Since January: 29GP 9-14-23 +13
Pace since January: 0.79PPG (25-38-63 +36 over 80 games)
YTD: 57GP 12-20-32 +9

He's had 15 points in 14 games since February.
He could very well match or exceed his highest junior totals in his second professional season.

I like Foligno a lot and would have put him ahead of Brennan if this poll was in say December, but Brennan has overcome his struggles and in a big way.
I'm with ya. TJB has been a bit of a forgotten man this season. He had the great Prospects Camp, but followed that up with a pedestrian training camp and preseason, and then got off to a bit of a rough start with Portland. All the while, Schiestel was off to a hot start and pushed Brennan even further the out of the picture. Meanwhile, Foligno and Kassian were the toast of the prospects thread for the months leading into, and including, the World Juniors.

But since the calendar flipped to January 2011, there's no debate. As you pointed out, Brennan has been off the charts. Putting up 40+ pts as a defenseman in your second professional season is no small feat. And he's no Marc-Andre Gragnani; he's solid in all three zones.

People have to keep in mind that Marcus is doing this in his 20-year-old season in the OHL, and has as much of a size advantage relative to the competition as Kassian has.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 03:52 PM
mkoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
They still retain his rights as long as they continue to tender him a contract every June. They did so last year so at the moment, he's still their property.
Thanks Chainer nice to hear that. I hope we don't give up on this kid I remember back in 07/08 he was considered as one of our top prospects and was one prospect that intrigued me at the time. Ever since then however it seems the guy fell off the face of the earth. I hope for our sake we let him stay in Europe and let him develop, not all prospects develop at the same pace and I don't want to give up on him. I want Marek to lace them up for the Blue and Gold one of these days. Rumour has it he still has alot of flaws and has that laziness in his game but with more development hopefully he can develop a better work ethic and better habits so he can become a useful Center for this Franchise one day.

Old
03-10-2011, 06:14 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I'm with ya. TJB has been a bit of a forgotten man this season. He had the great Prospects Camp, but followed that up with a pedestrian training camp and preseason, and then got off to a bit of a rough start with Portland. All the while, Schiestel was off to a hot start and pushed Brennan even further the out of the picture. Meanwhile, Foligno and Kassian were the toast of the prospects thread for the months leading into, and including, the World Juniors.

But since the calendar flipped to January 2011, there's no debate. As you pointed out, Brennan has been off the charts. Putting up 40+ pts as a defenseman in your second professional season is no small feat. And he's no Marc-Andre Gragnani; he's solid in all three zones.

People have to keep in mind that Marcus is doing this in his 20-year-old season in the OHL, and has as much of a size advantage relative to the competition as Kassian has.
He really has been.
All of the hype that Foligno, Kassian, and Schiestel have received has been well deserved, but I always vote for who I think will make the biggest impact.
I love Foligno, but I think lately Brennan has taken a huge step forward.

Of course consistency is important, but so is the ability to bounce back.
As said in the Portland thread, there is less of a veteran presence this season on the backend and perhaps that is why he struggled.
After he was scratched and played a few games at forward, it really seemed to wake him up and since then he's been a different player.
He's bounced back big time and has consistently been good since.

It's nothing against Foligno, but what Brennan has done just makes me feel that he will have more of an impact.

Quote:
Thanks Chainer nice to hear that. I hope we don't give up on this kid I remember back in 07/08 he was considered as one of our top prospects and was one prospect that intrigued me at the time. Ever since then however it seems the guy fell off the face of the earth. I hope for our sake we let him stay in Europe and let him develop, not all prospects develop at the same pace and I don't want to give up on him. I want Marek to lace them up for the Blue and Gold one of these days. Rumour has it he still has alot of flaws and has that laziness in his game but with more development hopefully he can develop a better work ethic and better habits so he can become a useful Center for this Franchise one day.
I think any hope of him being a productive player is slim.

His attempt to develop in Europe has pretty much blown up in his face.
I believe he wasn't even playing center for most of the year last year in Cherepovets and didn't put up many points.
He couldn't even manage to get more than third line minutes.
A kid who was two years younger than him put up just as many points in half the amount of games.
Not sure if Severstal released him or what, but he found himself on his fourth team in four years after signing with Yugra.

I watched about ten Yugra games this season before he was released and he was just terrible.
He played on the fourth line and was used as a utility forward because he could win faceoffs.
The only thing that wasn't completely invisible about his game was the ability to lose key draws in the defensive zone which usually led to goals against.

I remember one game back in December in particular when he had a fairly nice assist to put his team up 2-0.
He then completely forgot about his defensive responsibility, which led to a goal against and started the comeback for the other team.
He didn't really get much playing time after that and was used for a defensive zone draw in OT, which he lost cleanly, which led directly to the OT winner.

After that he was scratched a few times before returning and finally being released from his contract completely.
He now plays in the Czech Extraliga and isn't doing much of anything.

Barring a miracle, he will never become a productive player for the Sabres.

Old
03-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

To expand on jfb's comments above -- the chances of him turning out are probably less than slim. It will certainly take a miracle for him to amont to anything. He's a guy who's shown to be too concerned with his own comfort to make it. He will not be a player and they likely regret not taking the 2nd round comp pick instead of signing him. Part of him being well-regarded as a prospect was his draft position and the promise of what he could become. He never fulfilled on that potential -- he's a soft, mercurial player who has shown nothing so far that would indicate he will ever make it in North America, let alone the NHL.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:00 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Brennan.

Add Lagace.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 01:05 AM
mkoster

Quote:
He really has been.
All of the hype that Foligno, Kassian, and Schiestel have received has been well deserved, but I always vote for who I think will make the biggest impact.
I love Foligno, but I think lately Brennan has taken a huge step forward.

Of course consistency is important, but so is the ability to bounce back.
As said in the Portland thread, there is less of a veteran presence this season on the backend and perhaps that is why he struggled.
After he was scratched and played a few games at forward, it really seemed to wake him up and since then he's been a different player.
He's bounced back big time and has consistently been good since.

It's nothing against Foligno, but what Brennan has done just makes me feel that he will have more of an impact.

I think any hope of him being a productive player is slim.

His attempt to develop in Europe has pretty much blown up in his face.
I believe he wasn't even playing center for most of the year last year in Cherepovets and didn't put up many points.
He couldn't even manage to get more than third line minutes.
A kid who was two years younger than him put up just as many points in half the amount of games.
Not sure if Severstal released him or what, but he found himself on his fourth team in four years after signing with Yugra.

I watched about ten Yugra games this season before he was released and he was just terrible.
He played on the fourth line and was used as a utility forward because he could win faceoffs.
The only thing that wasn't completely invisible about his game was the ability to lose key draws in the defensive zone which usually led to goals against.

I remember one game back in December in particular when he had a fairly nice assist to put his team up 2-0.
He then completely forgot about his defensive responsibility, which led to a goal against and started the comeback for the other team.
He didn't really get much playing time after that and was used for a defensive zone draw in OT, which he lost cleanly, which led directly to the OT winner.

After that he was scratched a few times before returning and finally being released from his contract completely.
He now plays in the Czech Extraliga and isn't doing much of anything.

Barring a miracle, he will never become a productive player for the Sabres.
Quote:
To expand on jfb's comments above -- the chances of him turning out are probably less than slim. It will certainly take a miracle for him to amont to anything. He's a guy who's shown to be too concerned with his own comfort to make it. He will not be a player and they likely regret not taking the 2nd round comp pick instead of signing him. Part of him being well-regarded as a prospect was his draft position and the promise of what he could become. He never fulfilled on that potential -- he's a soft, mercurial player who has shown nothing so far that would indicate he will ever make it in North America, let alone the NHL.
Thanks for the updates guys, that is obviously news that disappoints me. I hope for Marek's sake he somehow finds his game quickly and starts working on his development. I really don't want to consider him a bust just yet but from what you guys are telling me he's running out of time.

Old
03-11-2011, 01:20 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Heh, I looked and they probably do regret not taking it now.

Notable players picked ~43 in the 2007 draft:
LW T. J. Galiardi (55th)
C/RW Oscar Moller (52nd)
C/LW Eric Tangradi (42nd)
RW Wayne Simmonds (61st)
D P.K. Subban (43rd)