HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bettman: ''Pacioretty injury is horrible, but part of the game.''

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2011, 11:18 PM
andy28

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
There is a fine line between not publicly throwing your staff under the bus and backing up their every move.
You are right. Perhaps throwing under the bus was a bit of hyperbole, but it was just the phrase that came to mind. Either way though, whether you like it or not, that's how things are done. I am not saying it's always right but he has people who handle discipline. He is not going to over rule them on one incident unless his hand is forced. Like it or not, that's how it is. You wanna beat Bettman, you have to play your cards right.

Old
03-10-2011, 11:33 PM
ILUVTHISGAME

I believe that Gary Bettman and the Operations people he employs did not fully realise just how huge and knowledgeable a fan base the Canadiens de Montréal have.

He also did not realise that we are not just going to let this go.

The event that transpired Tuesday night should have been the event that set a precedence for future hits like this.

Had they shown compassion and understanding for a young man's life and for the lives and well-being of his peers (the members of the NHLPA), I believe they would have come out smelling a lot less like dog caca.

Old
03-10-2011, 11:36 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVTHISGAME View Post
I believe that Gary Bettman and the Operations people he employs did not fully realise just how huge and knowledgeable a fan base the Canadiens de Montréal have.

He also did not realise that we are not just going to let this go.

The event that transpired Tuesday night should have been the event that set a precedence for future hits like this.
There have been a lot of events that should have set the precedent. And the Campbell emails should have been enough to make him too questionable as a disciplinary guy.

But Habs fans clamoring about an incident that happened to the Habs is not going to change perception. That's what it will be dismissed as.

Old
03-10-2011, 11:45 PM
ILUVTHISGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
There have been a lot of events that should have set the precedent. And the Campbell emails should have been enough to make him too questionable as a disciplinary guy.

But Habs fans clamoring about an incident that happened to the Habs is not going to change perception. That's what it will be dismissed as.
I'm of the opinion that what we are clamoring for is simply change.
The present state of affairs is not working very well with so many players suffering needless head injuries.
It's not to punish, but to dissuade players from using violence (i.e. payback) in the game of hockey.
I'm all for a good check, or some physicality, but violence like this is not part of this beautiful game.

'Faut qu' ça change!' - the Rocket

Old
03-10-2011, 11:48 PM
andy28

Quote:
I'm of the opinion that what we are clamoring for is simply change.
The present state of affairs is not working very well with so many players suffering needless head injuries.
Agreed, maybe you do want change. But will others buy it. That's the thing. You have to realize that in order to change things you gotta make people see. And if all they see is Hab fans having outrage over their own, it's not gonna win us anything. Right or wrong, thats the perception you have to go up against.

Old
03-10-2011, 11:56 PM
ILUVTHISGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
Agreed, maybe you do want change. But will others buy it. That's the thing. You have to realize that in order to change things you gotta make people see. And if all they see is Hab fans having outrage over their own, it's not gonna win us anything. Right or wrong, thats the perception you have to go up against.
So let me ask you: What's so wrong with change beginning now? The Habs fan base is huge...a louder voice to be heard. We have the power to make this happen.

Think of the kids in junior hockey right now and how they will perhaps be able to enter a league that protects them instead of paying their medical bills.

Bettman has bastardized our beloved game and I, for one, want it back as a game of skill and speed and beauty.

The violence must stop.

Faut qu' ça change - the Rocket

Old
03-11-2011, 12:04 AM
andy28

Quote:
So let me ask you: What's so wrong with change beginning now? The Habs fan base is huge...a louder voice to be heard. We have the power to make this happen.
Nothing is wrong with it beginning now. It begun a long time ago. You will be very pissed off if you expect the battle to won right now though. It will not happen that fast. If you want things to happen you have to convince people. We do have the power. But we have to be smart about it, too, or else we will get dismissed as one fanbase pissed off about one hit.

As for the Chara incident itself, I think it was wrong. But we have to move on. Even if you could change the leadership in the NHL by tomorrow morning, they are not going to go back and give a suspension after the fact.

We have to be prepared for the future though. There is another game against the Bruins.

Last edited by andy28: 03-11-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old
03-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Stradale

I am still disgusted with the way they hand out the non-suspension.

They was so afraid that Chara had to miss a game that they didn't even take the time to hear both part. Just a simple conference call with Chara and that's it. We believe you.

Old
03-11-2011, 12:20 AM
Belso

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/#clip427544

Look at Lucic in the first few plays..

Bettman probably wants to see this stuff...What a better way to sell a sport then with big hard collisions..

Old
03-11-2011, 12:23 AM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post

Bettman probably wants to see this stuff...What a better way to sell a sport then with big hard collisions..
Really, I think Lucic is a dirty player. And he seems to be getting away with a lot. People might think it's homerism on my part, but I really never liked him. Not since 07-08.

Old
03-11-2011, 12:24 AM
Stradale

Quote:

That's how the Bruins roll.

No rules? Lets take advantage of it.

Old
03-11-2011, 12:27 AM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
That's how the Bruins roll.

No rules? Lets take advantage of it.
Thornton seems to think the Bruins get away with a lot. Read the article..

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=357474

"It's just something with Boston," Thornton told the Globe and Mail. "It just seems like they have a horseshoe. We've seen the [Milan] Lucic cross-check to the head [of Maxim Lapierre] earlier, and there's no disciplinary thing."

Old
03-11-2011, 12:28 AM
m00ks

Quote:

Pretty much proves players knows where the stanchions are and how to use them.

But see, even if it was a dirty play, Lucie lets up and he just glides the player towards it without dishing additional force.

Even though it's a dirty rub out it wasn't as deadly. Chara flat out hurls Patches towards stanchion. Huge contrast between the two.

Old
03-11-2011, 12:32 AM
andy28

Think of the Ducks in 07. How many times did Pronger get suspended in the playoffs for injuring someone? Wasn't it like three times? I remember Holmstrom and McCammond. By the third one he still only got one game.

Old
03-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post

But see, even if it was a dirty play, Lucie lets up and he just glides the player towards it without dishing additional force.

Even though it's a dirty rub out it wasn't as deadly. Chara flat out hurls Patches towards stanchion. Huge contrast between the two.
Especially using your free hand to make sure to guide the opponent's head into it..

Old
03-11-2011, 12:42 AM
Xia

Quote:
Thornton seems to think the Bruins get away with a lot. Read the article..

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=357474

"It's just something with Boston," Thornton told the Globe and Mail. "It just seems like they have a horseshoe. We've seen the [Milan] Lucic cross-check to the head [of Maxim Lapierre] earlier, and there's no disciplinary thing."
Great stuff, I hope more big names start speaking out like that. The league doesn't like punishing it's stars anyways.

Old
03-11-2011, 01:00 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post

Yeah, Lucic led with his shoulder into the body in that hit. Chara used his arm to push Patches' head into the turnbuckle.

Last edited by Madam Kadri: 03-11-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old
03-11-2011, 05:14 AM
Ranger Angst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
Great mentality there showed by Bettman. Keep going at it Napoleon. You'll hit your Waterloo soon enough.
So right , can't wait 'till this guy's 7.2M contract is over & the governors get rid of him. The Patches decision has sickened me .

Old
03-11-2011, 05:37 AM
GoHomez

Quote:

WTF is he doing at 0:33?!!?

Old
03-11-2011, 06:35 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

timing is everything Gary...

next time you tell the press most concussion are unfortunate accidents, make sure it doesnt happen the same day a NHL player (Kubina) is suspended for an elbow to the head.

Old
03-11-2011, 06:46 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamCam View Post
As someone that lost people that day you are entirely out of line. There is no business to make comparisons of this nature.

How has this slipped the notice of the mods?
You should not come here and read our board.

To B's fans, you're not going to come here and sway us.... you are like a suit coming into our union hall right now. We don't hear what you're saying at the moment and just associate you with negativity. That is self-righteous anyhow. Come back next week.

All though you have every right to call-out the guy if the comment upset you... he was pointing to the absurdity of the situation (in his eyes) ...

We can say what we want on our board and we certainly don't need to curb it to make it palatable to you.

Old
03-11-2011, 06:51 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
As someone that lost people that day you are entirely out of line. There is no business to make comparisons of this nature.

How has this slipped the notice of the mods?
While the guy is definitely out of line. It's not like you and others like you have to come here and read what we say you know...

you could very well stay on your board. Nothing prevent you from doing that.

Old
03-11-2011, 06:59 AM
BamBamCam*

Wow I can't read what I want or post where I want now.

First off, I think the hit deserved suspension but to make comments like that is WAY out of line. In case you didn't notice 3000 people were murdered that day.

Old
03-11-2011, 07:02 AM
andy28

Quote:

First off, I think the hit deserved suspension but to make comments like that is WAY out of line. In case you didn't notice 3000 people were murdered that day.
I think we all agreed it was out of line. None of us are mods though, so there is not much we can do about it.

Old
03-11-2011, 07:04 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

Sure you can... but just so you know, you dont HAVE to come here, and if you do be smart enough to get that most in here wont care much about what you have to say.

For all I know you could very well be the smartest and most level headed of the bunch, lest not forget you're part of the said group though.

Closed Thread