HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft/Other Prospects (All NON-RANGERS Prospect Discussion - Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2011, 02:00 PM
darko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
So ya think we're goin back to the smurfs ODC?

I can't see our brass buying into Zucc, Cally, Thomas, Grimaldi - it'd look like you're trying to get the 'lollypop guild' line out there

We should also change the name to Habs.

Old
03-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

I'd love to get our hands on khokhlachev, he has been magic this year in windsor.

Old
03-10-2011, 02:17 PM
FOXHOUND*

My feeling is that the rangers are either going to:
A) trade up
Or
B) trade away their first in a package for an established player.

I'd love for them to trade up for courturier, if he becomes the fowler of this draft

Old
03-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Come on, NOW its gettin a little nutty in here
I don't think so at all. I think he's the most skilled player in the draft. He's also by far the smallest. He'd be at the very least part of the big 3 or 4 if he was 6 feet tall. I'd take him over all of them if he was.

Old
03-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I don't think so at all. I think he's the most skilled player in the draft. He's also by far the smallest. He'd be at the very least part of the big 3 or 4 if he was 6 feet tall. I'd take him over all of them if he was.
I wouldn't, and there ya go

BTW, remember when some were saying Stan Chistov was just as good as Kovalchuk and Spezza in 2001?

Old
03-10-2011, 03:06 PM
NYR Viper

I can attest to the fact that Grimaldi is tiny but he has a knack for being able to get around and deliver hits and still come away with the puck. He reminds me a little bit of St. Louis in that sense. Defensively, he is a nightmare because of his size. He should not play center at the next level.

I saw him play against RPI, players 2-5 years older than him, who were much larger and stronger than he was and he didn't seem out of place in the offensive end. He and Bjugstad worked very well together to create a few chances and I remember thinking that was Team USA's best line of the night.

He has great vision and playmaking ability and very good hockey sense but I worry about his size, like everyone else. He looked okay against an NCAA team which is a good sign for a player only 17 years old but will he be able to keep up with the other players maturation in terms of strength when he reaches the pros? Thats the scouts job to determine.

I still like Zibanejad, although I would love to see the Rangers trade their 2 second rounders for a crack at Grimaldi with a 2nd 1st rounder.

Old
03-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
I wouldn't, and there ya go

BTW, remember when some were saying Stan Chistov was just as good as Kovalchuk and Spezza in 2001?
Yeah, except Chistov was soft and heartless. The exact opposite of Grimaldi. Grimaldi plays a big mans game in a little mans body.

Terrible comparison.

Old
03-10-2011, 03:14 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghenrik213 View Post
I'd love to get our hands on khokhlachev, he has been magic this year in windsor.
if you believe some of the recent rankings from alot of the canadian media, hes dropping fast and in many recent lists, hes no longer in the top 40. not buying it one bit. anti-russian bias. nothing more.

iss still has him at 14. and red line report [2/18/11] had him at 8. these are 2 of the sources i like the most to determine true rankings and trends.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...terstitialskip

hes slowed some what since his smoking hot start to the season. teams are keying on him more and shutting him down. he didnt have a great february.

skill wise, hes a dynamic centerman who does his best work on the powerplay. his skating is top notch- dude is fast and his playmaking skills are as good as anyone in this draft.

one more thing i will add, unlike alot of russians who are considered perimeter players, koko is not that at all. hell go to dirty areas, hell play the body and he plays a fiesty game. he is not intimidated by physical play and in no way avoids it.

and he loves to snipe goals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH2Dy...eature=related

Old
03-10-2011, 03:22 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
if you believe some of the recent rankings from alot of the canadian media, hes dropping fast and in many recent lists, hes no longer in the top 40. not buying it one bit. anti-russian bias. nothing more.

iss still has him at 14. and red line report [2/18/11] had him at 8. these are 2 of the sources i like the most to determine true rankings and trends.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...terstitialskip

hes slowed some what since his smoking hot start to the season. teams are keying on him more and shutting him down. he didnt have a great february.

skill wise, hes a dynamic centerman who does his best work on the powerplay. his skating is top notch- dude is fast and his playmaking skills are as good as anyone in this draft.

one more thing i will add, unlike alot of russians who are considered perimeter players, koko is not that at all. hell go to dirty areas, hell play the body and he plays a fiesty game. he is not intimidated by physical play and in no way avoids it.

and he loves to snipe goals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH2Dy...eature=related

He sounds like Burmistrov 2.0. Similar playing style and attitude and the fact that he is in NA helps his draft status quite a bit.

Old
03-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Yeah, except Chistov was soft and heartless. The exact opposite of Grimaldi. Grimaldi plays a big mans game in a little mans body.

Terrible comparison.
I didn't compare them, you did

Old
03-10-2011, 06:44 PM
cmdevisser

Send a message via AIM to cmdevisser
I still have this unshakable feeling that the Rangers are going to draft a Dman in round 1.

That's all they've done since the lockout (with two exceptions!!!)

Old
03-10-2011, 08:49 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

If the Rangers miss the playoffs and stay in the relative position I can easily see them taking Saad over Armia, Zibanejad, or Rattie. He kinda fits the Gordie philosophy.

His stock has dropped since last year. What do you all think of him?

Old
03-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
I didn't compare them, you did
By bringing up Chistov you are clearly making the comparison. Don't back down after it's been torn up, now, BN.

Old
03-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
By bringing up Chistov you are clearly making the comparison. Don't back down after it's been torn up, now, BN.
Wrong again.

I compare the thought process, not the players.

Old
03-11-2011, 07:46 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Wrong again.

I compare the thought process, not the players.
Lol at least a little bit. You did compare them via the thought process here. It's different pl;ayers, different thought process. You def didn't say anything about their styles or anything but still. Not really a terrible point to make that "Sometimes guys are ranked too highly" or w/e.

Old
03-11-2011, 08:13 AM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
If the Rangers miss the playoffs and stay in the relative position I can easily see them taking Saad over Armia, Zibanejad, or Rattie. He kinda fits the Gordie philosophy.

I don't think he fits the Gordie/Rangers philosophy at all. He's not very competitive and not very gritty, and his stock has dropped because he hasn't really been producing.

Old
03-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
He sounds like Burmistrov 2.0. Similar playing style and attitude and the fact that he is in NA helps his draft status quite a bit.
He's not nearly as good in his own end as Burmistrov. Burmi was one of the most complete forwards in the draft last year. Koko is an offensive wizard, but lacks the two-way game that would likely make him a target of the Rangers.

Old
03-11-2011, 08:58 AM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
He's not nearly as good in his own end as Burmistrov. Burmi was one of the most complete forwards in the draft last year. Koko is an offensive wizard, but lacks the two-way game that would likely make him a target of the Rangers.
Why would the Rangers let the lack of a defensive game stand between picking Khokhlachev and somebody else? I feel like it would be a lot easier for an offensive forward to learn defense, than a defensive forward to learn offense. The Rangers need guys with more offensive flare, they could always stick him in the AHL when his CHL eligibility is up and teach him a defensive game. But I do agree with you with that last sentence.

Old
03-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchLegion View Post
Why would the Rangers let the lack of a defensive game stand between picking Khokhlachev and somebody else? I feel like it would be a lot easier for an offensive forward to learn defense, than a defensive forward to learn offense. The Rangers need guys with more offensive flare, they could always stick him in the AHL when his CHL eligibility is up and teach him a defensive game. But I do agree with you with that last sentence.
Well, in theory, a lineup of forwards who are all defensively responsible would indeed be a formidable monster.

I'm thinking 90's New Jersey, or 00's Detroit.

But we do need to try to get a top line player out of this draft. Now we aren't sure where we'll draft yet, but it can't be on a one dimensional top 6.

03-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchLegion View Post
It's just my opinion. I don't really have much to base it on. I felt the Rangers would be better served with John Carlson in 2008 because he was a complete player, but they went with the offensive guy in Del Zotto. So who really knows at this point?

I think they'll be looking at North American kids, as well as Swedish kids. Those two countries produce the most players who fit into the "blue collar" mold that we seem to be about.

Old
03-11-2011, 10:22 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
It's just my opinion. I don't really have much to base it on. I felt the Rangers would be better served with John Carlson in 2008 because he was a complete player, but they went with the offensive guy in Del Zotto. So who really knows at this point?

I think they'll be looking at North American kids, as well as Swedish kids. Those two countries produce the most players who fit into the "blue collar" mold that we seem to be about.
while i happen to [sadly] agree with your take here, i wonder if our continued difficulty scoring goals, both at even strength and on the pp, is due to our general overabundance of ''blue collar'' players. not every player on your entire roster needs to play a 2 way game. i mean really..... did anyone complain when we signed gaby that he didnt play that way.... hes mostly an offensive guy.

this reminds me of the conversation we were having back in the um.... lisin times. trying to make all offensive players into 2 way players isnt always the right call.

we seem to be void of any true game breaking offensive talent. perhaps thats something that needs to change.

Old
03-11-2011, 10:32 AM
McRanger

I just hope we draft a forward.

Old
03-11-2011, 10:40 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post

saad = do not want. lots of questions about compete level and effectiveness when things get rough. hes big and fast but hes kinda so-so when it comes to winning battles in the corners. his offensive upside is good but maybe lacks that high end hockey sense. no thanks.

zibanejad = future 2 way, gritty, fast, soft handed stud centerman. riser.

armia= better than saad but still prefer the Z man. armia has serious game tho.

Old
03-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I've watched about as much tape on Armia as the rest of the players in this draft put together. He reminds me of Anisimov, if Anisimov was a winger. Very similar style, size, and mannerisms on the ice.

Good player, would love to have him, but obviously I'm a bit biased towards Saad being IMO the next American star.

Old
03-11-2011, 11:55 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

We need to go full offensive talent this draft. Our top 6 will have a very defensively responsible line in the Pack line, so now we just need to worry about a gamebreaking 1st line. Everything I've heard about Mika is that he's a very good two-way forward, but he's not an elite offensive talent. Truth to that?

Closed Thread