HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

8.9 Earthqauke in Japan: Huge Tsunami hits land

Old
03-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Pucknut50

vCash: 500
Being Japanese with friends living and working in Sendai I am worried sick. I also have family in Fukushima but they are o.k. I do want to thank the people here with there prayers and best wishes as it does mean something me.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 10:35 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Being Japanese with friends living and working in Sendai I am worried sick. I also have family in Fukushima but they are o.k. I do want to thank the people here with there prayers and best wishes as it does mean something me.
Wow! Sendai is they area which was hit the worst.

My prayers and best wishes to all involved.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 10:40 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Hang tough Pucknut. All of the best to you and yours and come back if you can think of any way that any of us can help.

Yuuki o dash ite.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 10:45 AM
glovesave42

I wish there was a lot more that I can do, but I am praying for all those in Japan and their families. Horrible situation.

glovesave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:22 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Terrible news. Fortunately everyone I know that is over in that area checked in OK this morning, so that's a relief. Others certainly aren't so lucky.

An 8.9 earthquake only 6 miles deep - CalTech said this morning that the force would have felt at LEAST 3,000 times stronger than Northridge if that provides any perspective to folks that were in LA in 1994. I can't even imagine that.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Scary stuff

reports say that 1 of the bullet trains is missing, they have no idea where it is, aswell as a full size cruise ship. Both of which were carrying passengers

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 12:04 PM
yankeeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Terrible news. Fortunately everyone I know that is over in that area checked in OK this morning, so that's a relief. Others certainly aren't so lucky.

An 8.9 earthquake only 6 miles deep - CalTech said this morning that the force would have felt at LEAST 3,000 times stronger than Northridge if that provides any perspective to folks that were in LA in 1994. I can't even imagine that.
I was in northridge the day after and the damage was incredible esp. to the older not earthquake building, luckily Japan is way ahead of the curve on this.....all prayers to those involved

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I broke this news in the OT thread last night. I'm a news man of sorts.. an anchorman. Then I was glued to my TV until about 1am and showed up late to work. At first it didn't seem all that bad. Dont' get me wrong, an 8.9 EQ (first reported as an 7.9 then 8.5) is horrific but the structural damange wasn't bad. Then when the Tsunami's started to hit and I was watching as a tidal wave swept cars away that were driving down the road and had no idea what was coming. That was a jawdropper for sure. Then I started thinking about the Tsunami's hitting California. None of the local news media grabbed on to that possibility and when I woke up the warnings were here. Saw some boats in a harbor in Santa Cruz getting tossed around.

I coudln't helpt but think how unprepared I am for any sort of major disaster. I might need to put something together because something like this is almost bound to happen in California in our lifetime. Might as well be prepared for it.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 12:24 PM
HeadInjury

I read that the sea level in Santa Cruz fell 9 feet before the Tsunami reached land, as it causes the water to rush out to sea initially before making landfall.

HeadInjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 12:30 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I broke this news in the OT thread last night. I'm a news man of sorts.. an anchorman. Then I was glued to my TV until about 1am and showed up late to work. At first it didn't seem all that bad. Dont' get me wrong, an 8.9 EQ (first reported as an 7.9 then 8.5) is horrific but the structural damange wasn't bad. Then when the Tsunami's started to hit and I was watching as a tidal wave swept cars away that were driving down the road and had no idea what was coming. That was a jawdropper for sure. Then I started thinking about the Tsunami's hitting California. None of the local news media grabbed on to that possibility and when I woke up the warnings were here. Saw some boats in a harbor in Santa Cruz getting tossed around.

I coudln't helpt but think how unprepared I am for any sort of major disaster. I might need to put something together because something like this is almost bound to happen in California in our lifetime. Might as well be prepared for it.
It's only a matter of time. The problem California will have is if a Tsunami hit idiots will be driving towards the wave rather than from it so they can look with that blank stare of Darwinism into the TV camera.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 12:33 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post

Japanese people are trained at those events and I heard that it is recommended that you have a backpack with a battery powered radio, flashlight, blanket, caned food, a lot of bottles with water, matches and a helmet and I would throw in a whistle if you get caught in a building. The thing that stands out to me is the radio ...cause it is not that common any more to use it but it is sooooo underrated when it comes to reliable source's for important community information.

Old
03-11-2011, 12:35 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Some of the videos on youtube are shocking to see

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
OYE, not looking forward to Cali's next earthquake . . .

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 01:28 PM
ShattStar03

Second earthquake just hit central Japan it's a 6.6

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 01:45 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... I don't really know what to say here, except that I feel terrible for those who are involved in this, and I can only wish for them to stay strong.

I tend to stay away from the news, because it's usually designed to scare the **** out of people, and because 99% of it is likely bad stuff that I can't do anything about anyway.

I guess it's a good day to count your blessings in life - give those you love an extra hug, tell them how much you love them and how much they mean to you, and be thankful that they're in your life. We seem to live on borrowed time, don't we?

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 01:45 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Good a time as any to get that disaster kit prepared/purchased. Other items: Flashlights, batteries, portable radio, several days worth of water, a tent for sleeping outside (super handy and rarely part of any kit - you aren't going to want to be inside for the first few days after a major earthquake given the aftershocks), gloves, wrenches to shut off gas and water, canned food for you and pets, fire extinguisher, etc.

http://preparedness.com/beduandafea.html

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 01:51 PM
HeadInjury

The Tsunami swept 4 people out to sea in Crescent City, CA. One is dead and another is missing. The harbor was apparently heavily damaged.

http://www.news10.net/news/local/sto...storyid=127779

HeadInjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
The Tsunami swept 4 people out to sea in Crescent City, CA. One is dead and another is missing. The harbor was apparently heavily damaged.

http://www.news10.net/news/local/sto...storyid=127779
Did they not get the warning. This is horrible.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Fishhead

At least if we do get hit by a big one locally from the San Andreas, we won't have to deal with a Tsunami. It will be more powerful, but being a transform fault it will move side to side and happen on dry land. Transform quakes are much shorter than the one that hit Japan today.

The Japan quake was at a subduction zone where one plate moves under the other. The subducting plate pushes the other plate upwards, lifting massive amounts of water above it. These quakes also shake for a long time.

Japan is such a perilous place to live, because not only do they have the typical quakes around the ring, but they are also usually offshore at places where plates converge. Really dangerous in that region.

I felt sick after seeing the video, the loss of life will be catastrophic.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 02:43 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
Scary stuff

reports say that 1 of the bullet trains is missing, they have no idea where it is, aswell as a full size cruise ship. Both of which were carrying passengers
Any news on this?

Old
03-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I remember seeing a port in Japan getting slammed with a Tsunami and seeing a gantry cranes getting knocked over and a huge cargo vessel pulled onto land. Thinking about all of the debris swept inland and what it is going to take to clean up is crazy but think about a giant container vessel sitting on dry land and how will they remove it? I guess they'll just have to cut it into chunks and haul it away. Of course, that is the least of people's worries right now but I work in insurance and we insure those ships and I was just thinking about that.

Old
03-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Alternate Jersey

thoughts and prayers go out to all those who were affected by the quake/tsunami. it's ****ing scary.

being a resident of a 15-story building in the heart of downtown LA, it makes me worried about the big one, too. not that i wasn't already worried...

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 03:16 PM
SLang

Interesting to note. I have a friend who was getting ready to fly out of Narita airport when the quake hit. Obviously the flight was cancelled so she is still there. She said everything went dead - power, land phone lines, cell service - everything except.......FACEBOOK......she was able to post pics and news that she was ok from her cell phone, even though she couldn't actually call out on it.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternate Jersey View Post
thoughts and prayers go out to all those who were affected by the quake/tsunami. it's ****ing scary.

being a resident of a 15-story building in the heart of downtown LA, it makes me worried about the big one, too. not that i wasn't already worried...
Yeah I work in downtown and my company moved offices a few years ago (a few blocks north) and they made a decisions to rent the lowest floors possible in case of an emergency. I guess having your office on higher floors is a status symbol. We used to occupy the 20th-25th (top) floors at a building on 8th/Fig but they moved to the CNB building and rented the 3rd-6th floors because "we're an insurance company and given the events that occured in 9/11 and the threat of an earthquake, it is the right thing to do for our employees safety". That got a big round of applause from all of us because fire drills suck going down 25 flights of stairs.

The one thing I can tell you, I'd rather be inside the building in Downtown when a quake hits than outside. I'd probably rather be in the high rise downtown than my house as well. I'll also never live in a tuck under apartment. If you notice, those were the buildings that were most damaged in the Northridge quake. It doesn't look like Japan made out too bad structurally given the magnitude. That will certainly be a great learning experience for the future of construction. Every time there is a massive EQ in California, building codes are changed and I'm sure they are going to learn a great deal from this one.

Old
03-11-2011, 03:54 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Did they not get the warning. This is horrible.
It's California-people don't listen. I saw one lady on the news on the beach who said shes waiting to see a big wave. By the time you see a big wave and you're the typical lady in below average health who probably couldn't run far before coughing up a lung it would be too late. People love being dumb, it makes them happy.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote