HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What to do with Shannon?

Old
03-11-2011, 11:27 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyTownUSA View Post
What does this mean? Are you implying Shannon is not fit and has no stamina? LOL.
Something has gone over your head.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:32 AM
HockeyTownUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Something has gone over your head.
Then please explain your interpretation. Maybe it has, but if we are looking at that one play, I don't understand how "stamina created room for Shannon."

HockeyTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:37 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Shannon is the perfect guy to keep around for a rebuild.

Anyone remember 08-09, with the FFS line?
Shannon's proven that he can produce given ice time. Ideally, he's on your 4th line, but rebuilding, he's fine to fill in on the top-6 or top-9.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:39 AM
HockeyTownUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Shannon is the perfect guy to keep around for a rebuild.

Anyone remember 08-09, with the FFS line?
Shannon's proven that he can produce given ice time. Ideally, he's not on your top-6, but rebuilding, he's fine there.
I'll save everyone else the trouble. The argument is the games meant nothing, they were useless, the season was over, there was no pressure......

Old
03-11-2011, 11:42 AM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Quote:
Then please explain your interpretation. Maybe it has, but if we are looking at that one play, I don't understand how "stamina created room for Shannon."
To understand true stamina, you have to be a hockey player.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:46 AM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany Heatley Allstar View Post
Jury on Regin's still out, he's young and shown flashes, had a sophomore slump so we will see.
He'll be 25 in a few weeks and turn 26 during the next hockey season - and I have not seen anything that makes me think he's deserving or capable of playing a scoring role.

He only scored 13 goals last season and to me it looks like it was just a fluke, but we'll see next year.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:48 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
I'll save everyone else the trouble. The argument is the games meant nothing, they were useless, the season was over, there was no pressure......
Pretty much yeah. Shannon's like Dom Moore was in Toronto. Just a guy who goes and works, and can put up points with ice time on a bad team.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamigo View Post
To understand true stamina, you have to be Erik Condra*

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:52 AM
HockeyTownUSA

Quote:
I was a long distance runner. You don't have to explain to me what stamina is. What was said and how it was said still makes no sense.

Old
03-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

I like the little guy, but he is/was useless in the playoffs. Is it worth using up a spot for a guy you don't plan on using in the playoffs when someone useful in both reg. and post season could be skating?

I know there is a slight chance the team doesn't make the playoffs next year, but i'd rather see the roster filled with playoff guys if possible. He's good filler in the meantime.

Keep him until something better comes along.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 12:10 PM
guyzeur

vCash: 50
Quote:
You have to have played D&D

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 01:57 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

Let him go in the offseason. I'd rather keep a guy like Condra around, give him a chance and see what happens.

ShutDownDefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 02:21 PM
koreaboy

i'd have no problems signing him to another 1-year deal for $700K.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Berserker*

WTF, lol are you guys actually serious? Shannon is a plug and will always be a plug. As one of the other posters mentioned, he only shows up in meaningless games. It would be a waste of a contract to give him one. In a rebuild, you don't waste a contract on a 27 year old fringe NHL/AHL player.

There are way too many prospects that are either deserving of a roster spot or are pretty damn close to making the NHL to give Shannon a contract. It would be unfair to deny those players a spot and it would be unwise to hold them back just to let some plug take up a roster spot.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Crawdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
In a rebuild, you don't waste a contract on a 27 year old fringe NHL/AHL player.
This
one of our prospects will need the roster spot
We know what Shannon can do, I like him, especially lately
Even at best, he is a great plug like he is right now
but spending, even just over league min, is more than league min
It is a shame, I really like his fired up games
and who knows, if there is a glaring hole in the lineup during camps
he could still be on the market

Crawdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Zorf

Quote:
I was a long distance runner. You don't have to explain to me what stamina is. What was said and how it was said still makes no sense.
Running stamina and hockey stamina are two sides of the same coin.

Would you rather run in a running race to race the winner of the running race in which races are run or would you rather skate in a skating race to create space and energy and spunkiness for your teammates?

That's the best way I can describe it.

Eric Condra literally has the best hockey stamina I have seen since Peter Bondra. That guy's hockey stamina was and is the benchmark on which I base all stamina evaluations.

I've read a few places that Larsson has pretty good stamina. I'd be hard pressed to pass up on a guy with that amount of skill AND stamina!!

Zorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
WTF, lol are you guys actually serious? Shannon is a plug and will always be a plug. As one of the other posters mentioned, he only shows up in meaningless games. It would be a waste of a contract to give him one. In a rebuild, you don't waste a contract on a 27 year old fringe NHL/AHL player.

There are way too many prospects that are either deserving of a roster spot or are pretty damn close to making the NHL to give Shannon a contract. It would be unfair to deny those players a spot and it would be unwise to hold them back just to let some plug take up a roster spot.
Lame, Shannon shows up every shift. He is among the hardest working players, if not the hardest on the team. He is fast, he makes smart hockey plays, with the puck and on defence. One thing he is is ridiculously small but he plays bigger.

He hardly is a guy that will only play when it is for a contract. In case you haben't noticed he keeps signing one year deals at near the minimum. He is ALWAYS playing for a contract, whether he likes it or not.

He is never going to be a star. So what, neither are most of the player on this team, or next year on this team. He has as much potential to find the right linemate and be able to get you 15 goals and 35-40 points as any of the younger guys that haven't yet shown they are NHL players and are not much younger in Condra, Greening, even Smith.

I'd keep him. I've actually bought tickets for the express reason to watch him play after the listless team we had in 08/09 when he came along and the Fisher line was rolling, he excited me enough to pay money to see him play. He is has been the 3rd star in the last two Sens games I went to see live.

If we don't resign him it is not the end of the world but he is a balls out player and he does have skills, smarts and speed. Too bad he isn't 6'3" and 205 lbs. I doubt he is really much more than 150 regardless of what websites say his weight is.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Gil Gunderson

I hate this ****.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
Lame, Shannon shows up every shift. He is among the hardest working players, if not the hardest on the team. He is fast, he makes smart hockey plays, with the puck and on defence. One thing he is is ridiculously small but he plays bigger.

He hardly is a guy that will only play when it is for a contract. In case you haben't noticed he keeps signing one year deals at near the minimum. He is ALWAYS playing for a contract, whether he likes it or not.

He is never going to be a star. So what, neither are most of the player on this team, or next year on this team. He has as much potential to find the right linemate and be able to get you 15 goals and 35-40 points as any of the younger guys that haven't yet shown they are NHL players and are not much younger in Condra, Greening, even Smith.

I'd keep him. I've actually bought tickets for the express reason to watch him play after the listless team we had in 08/09 when he came along and the Fisher line was rolling, he excited me enough to pay money to see him play. He is has been the 3rd star in the last two Sens games I went to see live.

If we don't resign him it is not the end of the world but he is a balls out player and he does have skills, smarts and speed. Too bad he isn't 6'3" and 205 lbs. I doubt he is really much more than 150 regardless of what websites say his weight is.
Unfortunately you are pretty much completely wrong on every part that I bolded. Shannon absolutely does not show up every shift; he shows up for short spurts of the season and then is invisible for long stretches. He just straight up isn't a player that shows up every shift; either that or he is the ultimate plug who shows up every shift but cant even manage to do anything noticeable for 80% of the season. Ya he has played well in stretches but by no means has he shown up every shift and made some kind of positive impact.

He is definitely not the hardest working senator, there is no possible way that he is a harder worker than Neil or Alfie and possibly even Phillips. Hell the only reason why you could even consider him among one of the hardest working senators is because the rest of the hard workers are all gone through trades or free agency (Volchenkov, Fisher, Kelly and Ruutu). The rest of the hard workers are basically prospects just making the NHL like Smith and Greening. Regardless if he is an apparent hard worker, hard work means **** all without impact. Results are what matter and if he isn't making an impact on the ice than all that hard work is basically wasted effort. The only reason why you are giving him credit here is because he is a fringe player and has to work hard to even get a regular shift. If that's the case me might as well consider Lessard the hardest working Senator, lol.

He doesn't play much bigger than he is. He is no Darcy Tucker or Sean Avery or any other player that lacks height and weight but plays like they are 6' or taller and 210 lbs or bigger. He is only now at 27 years old playing big enough to not get thrown off the puck by pretty much every NHL player. He still does to an extent and he loses many puck battles because he is so diminutive. Hell I remember last season when he was playing the point on the power play and Malkin pushed him over like he was a five year old kid and had a breakaway and scored.

This last argument is in relation to the previous paragraph. Shannon is in no way shape or form a "balls out player". To be a balls out player, a player must be borderline reckless, they must throw there body around in reckless abandon. If he was a balls out player he would be the most intense player on the ice and would make an impact every shift. He would be really physical for a mall guy, similar to Tucker. He would battle for position in front of the net and he wouldn't lose a puck battle.

Shannon is nothing more than a versatile diminutive player who is fast and has some offensive skills that will show up in spurts. He is a serviceable player and can fill a void on a team until something better comes along. However, by next season the sens should have a prospect or two who can almost step into that role who are one of the hardest workers and do play bigger than they actually are and to an extent are a "balls out player".

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 09:53 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

I was hoping he would get traded at the deadline & I'm sure Murray tried to trade him & couldn't get anyone to take him. He is doing okay now so there is the hope that he is picked up in the off season by some team however I don't want it to be Ottawa. I would rather that Condra take his spot. I want this team to get bigger & tougher & harder to play against, Shannon doesn't scare anyone. He's too small, too soft & doesn't score enough to justify a new contract, he has had many opportunities over the last two yrs & hasn't done enough to get another contract. Good luck to him.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 10:07 PM
SensForLife11

Shannon's one of the most defensively responsible forwards on the team, always one of the first ones back on defence. In my mind that is showing up every shift. Would also explain how he is our +/- leader.

Now as for resigning him, I'd say go for it if he's willing to stay for the $625,000 he's currently making. If he's outplayed by the prospects come training camp he's still fine as a 13th forward. His cap hit is nothing and a fair price for a guy who we know can easily step into the lineup at anytime in case of injury. There also appears to be some chemistry between him and Condra. I'm hoping Clouston continues keeping them together for the next few games.

Quote:
Unfortunately you are pretty much completely wrong on every part that I bolded. Shannon absolutely does not show up every shift; he shows up for short spurts of the season and then is invisible for long stretches. He just straight up isn't a player that shows up every shift; either that or he is the ultimate plug who shows up every shift but cant even manage to do anything noticeable for 80% of the season. Ya he has played well in stretches but by no means has he shown up every shift and made some kind of positive impact.

He is definitely not the hardest working senator, there is no possible way that he is a harder worker than Neil or Alfie and possibly even Phillips. Hell the only reason why you could even consider him among one of the hardest working senators is because the rest of the hard workers are all gone through trades or free agency (Volchenkov, Fisher, Kelly and Ruutu). The rest of the hard workers are basically prospects just making the NHL like Smith and Greening. Regardless if he is an apparent hard worker, hard work means **** all without impact. Results are what matter and if he isn't making an impact on the ice than all that hard work is basically wasted effort. The only reason why you are giving him credit here is because he is a fringe player and has to work hard to even get a regular shift. If that's the case me might as well consider Lessard the hardest working Senator, lol.

He doesn't play much bigger than he is. He is no Darcy Tucker or Sean Avery or any other player that lacks height and weight but plays like they are 6' or taller and 210 lbs or bigger. He is only now at 27 years old playing big enough to not get thrown off the puck by pretty much every NHL player. He still does to an extent and he loses many puck battles because he is so diminutive. Hell I remember last season when he was playing the point on the power play and Malkin pushed him over like he was a five year old kid and had a breakaway and scored.

This last argument is in relation to the previous paragraph. Shannon is in no way shape or form a "balls out player". To be a balls out player, a player must be borderline reckless, they must throw there body around in reckless abandon. If he was a balls out player he would be the most intense player on the ice and would make an impact every shift. He would be really physical for a mall guy, similar to Tucker. He would battle for position in front of the net and he wouldn't lose a puck battle.

Shannon is nothing more than a versatile diminutive player who is fast and has some offensive skills that will show up in spurts. He is a serviceable player and can fill a void on a team until something better comes along. However, by next season the sens should have a prospect or two who can almost step into that role who are one of the hardest workers and do play bigger than they actually are and to an extent are a "balls out player".

SensForLife11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 10:09 PM
HockeySport

deleted - posted twice by accident

Last edited by HockeySport: 03-11-2011 at 11:14 PM. Reason: posted twice by accident
HockeySport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 10:15 PM
trobby

Positives: Speed
Negatives: Inconsistent, Zero Hockey sense, No Jam.

I'm sure somewhere we can find a relatively fast, slightly bigger, tougher version for the same price.

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 10:17 PM
HockeySport

Some of us get it; some not... Facts are the facts, and let's keep it simple. On a production basis (points per TOI) Shannon is a top performer on the team. Period end of that argument. You can't score from the bench to which he was nailed to for two-thirds of the season because the team couldn't be embarrassed not playing multi-million dollar contract players who weren't performing. If he had the TOI he is getting now and PP time, well that would be just conjecture, but probably more good news (perhaps not to all). On the PK, he has only been scored on once. Oh, and he is a +3 or +4, an exclusive position on the team. I know, a meaningless stat, unless we can use it against Shannon. Twist, it turn it all you want. You don't have to like him, but you do have to respect him.

HockeySport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:12 PM
HockeyTownUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobby View Post
Positives: Speed
Negatives: Inconsistent, Zero Hockey sense, No Jam.

I'm sure somewhere we can find a relatively fast, slightly bigger, tougher version for the same price.
Now that's the funniest thing I have read this week.