HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Gameday Thread: Edmonoton @ Vancouver

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2003, 08:41 PM
Hi-wayman

vCash: 500
We are still on tract for a 164 point regular season. Only another 160 points to go.

Old
10-11-2003, 08:50 PM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Streak is BROKEN!!!

Kind of disturbed by the Bertuzzi/Jovanovski incidents. Those guys have to stop taking dumb penalties! We need them on the ice, dammit! Yeah, yeah, Jovo was sticking up for Linden...that's all well and good against Edmonton, but what do you do when Colorado comes to town? Discipline, dammit!
About "fighting" when playing Colorado
I'm going to put it this way:

1. I don't want Jovanovski to fight anybody who doesn't have a "tough" reputation. ie. I don't want Jovo to beat the krap otu of Sakic, Kariya, Selanne, etc. Well, unless they cheapshot somebody, then they're fair game. I highly doubt Sakic is going to knee-on-knee anybody anyway.

2. I don't want Jovanovski to fight a 3rd/4th line player on the Avs... which mean I do NOT want to see Jovo fight Worrell, Hahl, Battaglia, etc.

3. I DO want to see Jovo fight a "tough star" player on the Avs. Which means if Jovo wants to go w/ Blake, Foote, or Forsberg, fine by me.

Old
10-11-2003, 09:31 PM
orcatown

Another solid effort by the Canucks. The team seems so much better positionally. Some observations.

Cooke - Linden -Arvedsson were excellent. No news there.

Thought Slegr looked a lot better after the first few moments. I was really impressive with his last 40 minutes. Very mobile. He'll push Jovo for the best skating defenseman. To me the most encouraging aspect of the night was his play. If he can come on a play like he did in the last part of the game our defense will be a lot more dangerous offensively.

Another solid effort by Ohlund and Salo.

Sopel continues to fight the puck and make bad decisions. He'll be sitting soon if he can't do better. BTW what is wrong with his skating? Why does he keep falling over?

Am I alone in this. I thought Naslund was our worst forward. Edmonton got the their best chances with him on the ice. I think that him and Bertuzzi are having the most trouble adapting to the defense first system of the team. Naslund does not know how to play the trap.

Allen, at times, looked like he was playing with a mop but I think we will have to live through these continued growing pains.

Hedburg was excellent...especially early on.

H. Sedin was again superb. D. Sedin looked ordinary. The gap between these two continues to grow. King will have to do more. If Fedor can keep it up in Manitoba he will soon be breathing down King's neck.

Old
10-11-2003, 10:49 PM
Tom.H

If what I hear about Naslund playing better defence ( I didn't see the game), come play-off time it will be good news to the Canucks.
I think goals are going to come for him, so I am not all that worried about that part of his game, even if it meant a modest decline in goals.
I would rather see his +- go up, what was he about +5 last year? That is quite telling for a guy who had 104 points.

I personally think that a guy with as much tallent as Naslund, that he should be able to become a better two way player. That goes with Bertuzzi as well.

Old
10-11-2003, 10:50 PM
quat

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown
Another solid effort by the Canucks. The team seems so much better positionally. Some observations.

Cooke - Linden -Arvedsson were excellent. No news there.

Thought Slegr looked a lot better after the first few moments. I was really impressive with his last 40 minutes. Very mobile. He'll push Jovo for the best skating defenseman. To me the most encouraging aspect of the night was his play. If he can come on a play like he did in the last part of the game our defense will be a lot more dangerous offensively.

Another solid effort by Ohlund and Salo.

Sopel continues to fight the puck and make bad decisions. He'll be sitting soon if he can't do better. BTW what is wrong with his skating? Why does he keep falling over?

Am I alone in this. I thought Naslund was our worst forward. Edmonton got the their best chances with him on the ice. I think that him and Bertuzzi are having the most trouble adapting to the defense first system of the team. Naslund does not know how to play the trap.

Allen, at times, looked like he was playing with a mop but I think we will have to live through these continued growing pains.

Hedburg was excellent...especially early on.

H. Sedin was again superb. D. Sedin looked ordinary. The gap between these two continues to grow. King will have to do more. If Fedor can keep it up in Manitoba he will soon be breathing down King's neck.
Funny... I thought it was Burt that was bad on the WCE line, and Morrison should just shoot the puck sometimes. Naslund looked as though he was really working hard (though with mixed success), at getting back down the ice.

Did anyone else miss how well Chubarov played? He was almost perfect everytime he was on the ice. A phenomenal defensive center who never gives up. This is the guy that will be instumental to the CAnucks success in the playoffs.

I felt that Daniel and King had a good games... I'm not sure what you are talking about... they were out against the Oilers biggest line, and were defensively excellent and had some decent pressure in the Oilers end.

The Oilers looked out played on all areas of the ice.

Allens going to get his time to improve, and he's bound to make some bad errors.. but it's good to see that he still get's his icetime, and that Crawford seems to believe in his ability to improve.

Totally agree about Slegr.

A much better defensive effort by the CAnucks.

Just watching a tape of the game, and after the Jovo ejection, Daniel and Burt are all over the Oilers.... both looked great on that shift.

Old
10-11-2003, 10:57 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Streak is BROKEN!!!

As for Edmonton, it was a pretty effortless performance by them tonight.
Yes, it sure was nice to be on the winning side for once. I'd forgotten what it was like. Normally, the fans yell "Potvin Sucks" or "Clooot--Tier" all night, mock cheer when they stop a puck that was cleared all the way down the ice on the power play, and heartily yell "YAY!" when they announce 1 minute left.

I didn't mind Allen at all, thought he was fine all night. Made several good plays that I notice in particular. Got a bit of PK time, nice to see.

Just knew that Slegr was going to score, since I've dissed him so much here. I'd still rather have Malik playing and Slegr sitting.

I wouldn't put too much stock in Hedberg's shutout, that was one of the easiest ones I've ever seen. There weren't more than a couple actual scoring chances for Edmonton in the entire game. Numerous long shots, no screens, and no rebounds. But hey, he didn't screw up, so he gets credit for that.

He does stay out of the net a long time, that was noticeable. Rather than just set the puck up behind the net for a d-man, he'd wait until the d-man got there. I forsee some goals against where he gets caught out of the net in his future.

Bought a Cooke bobblehead for $4.77 at Authentix before the game, and he promptly goes out to 2G, 1A. Probably my favourite Canuck on this roster. There's powerful magic in this bobble, must make sure not to waste it until the playoffs.

Old
10-12-2003, 05:51 AM
maruk14

Just to echo orcatown's sentiments, what the hell happened to Sopel? Granted, he did play better in game 2, but there was nowhere to go but up. He is quickly becoming one of the worst skating defenseman in the NHL. He has always looked awkward, but he fell down .... on his own .... 3 times by my count last night. The first game was worse. Try some new skates, do something, but the guy is a heart attack every time he steps on the ice.

Old
10-12-2003, 07:05 AM
LaVal

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
If I remember correctly, there was a fight where Deadmarsh had only gotten back a game or two earlier from a bad concussion. I could be wrong though.
you are correct, but you are referring to the one that Deadmarsh recieved an instigator and a misconduct from. so i don't see how anybody can label Jovo for that one.

Old
10-12-2003, 07:07 AM
Reign Nateo

I was at the game, lower bowl just above where the Linden thing happened, and when it happened it looked like the dirtiest hit I had seen in a while, Linden had just gotten to his feet and Isbister hit him from behind, If Jovo hadn't have done what he did someone would have, Cooke was skating over and Bertuzzi was creeping over the bench. The Canucks felt it was the right thing to do and from my vantage point it was.

The icing on the cake was watching that wannabe "power forward" Brad Isbister get pummelled, Jovo looked in his face and said something to the effect of "that was a dirty f**kin hit, you don't do that to our team, if you want your ass kicked again I'll do it" (or so I heard from someone sitting a little closer)

The game was good, the Canucks played a great defensive game, shut down the Oilers all night long. The Canucks defence has really come together out there, save for Sopel who will become our Patrice Brisbois if things don't change in a hurry, if Malik was in over Sopel, the Oilers would have had even less chances.

Salo looked like Cloutier on the first goal, but made some nice saves after that. I am really liking the Canucks off season pickups this year, all have performed well, also I think that Slegr will be an important member of our team once he adjusts to the game he was our most physical punishing defenceman, although Ohlund showed some signs.

Old
10-12-2003, 07:23 AM
cnukfan

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnukfan
Canucks play strong "d" and win 3-0. Goals by Jovo, and Bert pops 2 more. Have a dream...sorry.

Dreams really do come true. Great all round game.

Old
10-12-2003, 07:35 AM
Mizral

I missed the first two goals, but I caught most of the game. Some questions and notes:

- Did we match up Arvedson/Linden/Cooke against a line? If so, who?

- I thought Ohlund played a magnificent game. A couple big hits, beautiful defensive play.

- Morrison looks.. if you can believe this.. even better defensivly than last year. By far and away our best defensive forward for the first two games.

- I was very impressed with Hedberg tonight. The way he handles the puck is so foreign to me as a Canuck fan!

- The Canucks power play didn't score, but I did think they got some good chances.

Old
10-12-2003, 09:44 AM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
I was at the game, lower bowl just above where the Linden thing happened, and when it happened it looked like the dirtiest hit I had seen in a while, Linden had just gotten to his feet and Isbister hit him from behind, If Jovo hadn't have done what he did someone would have, Cooke was skating over and Bertuzzi was creeping over the bench. The Canucks felt it was the right thing to do and from my vantage point it was.

The icing on the cake was watching that wannabe "power forward" Brad Isbister get pummelled, Jovo looked in his face and said something to the effect of "that was a dirty f**kin hit, you don't do that to our team, if you want your ass kicked again I'll do it" (or so I heard from someone sitting a little closer)

The game was good, the Canucks played a great defensive game, shut down the Oilers all night long. The Canucks defence has really come together out there, save for Sopel who will become our Patrice Brisbois if things don't change in a hurry, if Malik was in over Sopel, the Oilers would have had even less chances.

Salo looked like Cloutier on the first goal, but made some nice saves after that. I am really liking the Canucks off season pickups this year, all have performed well, also I think that Slegr will be an important member of our team once he adjusts to the game he was our most physical punishing defenceman, although Ohlund showed some signs.
When is the next Oiler Canuck game i hope it's not to soon hopefully Isbister Will have all his stiches out and Him and Jovo will go at it again and the fight will be more even

Old
10-12-2003, 01:09 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew
When is the next Oiler Canuck game i hope it's not to soon hopefully Isbister Will have all his stiches out and Him and Jovo will go at it again and the fight will be more even
Jovo has nothing to prove to Isbister, therefore has no reason to fight him again.

Isbister hit one of our team leaders from behind on a dangerous play, this is a cohesive team, he's lucky Jovo was the toughest Canuck on the ice.

Old
10-12-2003, 01:27 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Isbister is also lucky Jovo waited for him to drop the gloves as well, or else it would have been worse than the bloody nose he received.

Closed Thread