HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

8.9 Earthqauke in Japan: Huge Tsunami hits land

Old
03-11-2011, 04:54 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 500
Made me sick to watch. My grandma is 100% Japanese and we still have family there. I have two cousins in Tokyo that came out to visit a few years back. Hopefully they're okay.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 05:03 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Oh boy... radiation is "surging" from the nuclear plant in Japan. Horrible news.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42025882...s-asiapacific/

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 05:16 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

This is absolutely devastating. My thoughts and prayers go out to all who are affected by this.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Oh boy... radiation is "surging" from the nuclear plant in Japan. Horrible news.

Oh ****. That's the ballgame right there. They're ****ed.

Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 05:21 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
The Tsunami swept 4 people out to sea in Crescent City, CA. One is dead and another is missing. The harbor was apparently heavily damaged.

http://www.news10.net/news/local/sto...storyid=127779
I have family in crescent city. Cant reach anyone yet.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Yikes.. I feel even more retarded than usual reading that article. I don't understand nuclear power. That is well out of the scope of my brain power.

What happens if the reactor meltsdown? Major catastrophe I assume...?

Last edited by TonySCV: 03-11-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 05:27 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Yes.

Here are some unbelievable photos of the damage so far:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...-japan/100022/

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 05:56 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Earth's axis has moved ten inches.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Jap...617/story.html

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Shellz

@nbcnightlynews NBC Nightly News
#Tokyo Electric Power Co. is reporting that they have lost control of the pressure in their No. 1 & 2 nuclear reactors with temps rising.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 06:23 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Quote:
Yikes.. I feel even more retarded than usual reading that article. I don't understand nuclear power. That is well out of the scope of my brain power.

The Chernobyl disaster was ultimately a reactor meltdown, right? We still have radiation in the soil here in Sweden, 25 years later and more than a 1000 miles away from the disaster area, and is a likely cause for quite a few cases of cancer here. Hundred thousands of people had to be evacuated and millions are thought to be affected by the radiation.

A reactor meltdown would make a horrific situation unimaginably worse.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 06:29 PM
BamBam1031

Pure insanity. Prayers for Japan and Hawaii.

BamBam1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:16 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Maybe nuclear energy in places that are prone to earthquakes isn't such a hot idea, no pun intended?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:45 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:

It would be a serious environmental issue, but not really a catastrophe. There wouldn't be severe risk for major health concerns, perhaps some cancer cases with those directly involved depending on their methods and safety precautions, but overall nothing devastating, that and meltdown is still highly unlikely. Japan, unlike the U.S., has modern reactors, which are pretty safe, it isn't an ideal place to put a reactor, but it is not like they can move Japan, and reactors require water...

Overall, they are well maintained, and very modern, they will have systems/generators back online in time to avoid meltdown, and leaks will not jeopardize the plant's future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
That's normal, though awesome. If it weren't for such activity, we would not exist The axis is constantly shifting due to it's natural precession anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post

Probably the worst side effect, not counting any cancer related incidents moving forward in the future, would be the second guessing this will give nuclear and anti-nuclear supporters moving forward here in the future within the U.S. Our reactors are ancient compared to just about any other nation and date back to the 70's. We desperately need to modernize our nuclear energy to catch up to the world, and more importantly, to keep us safe. Our reactors aren't in much danger, but it would be a lot more safer if we modernized and were more responsible to ensure that such an accident cannot occur again. In fearfully trying to keep us safe, legislation is making us more vulnerable. This will only further delay the inevitable need to modernize.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:38 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

This is crazy stuff man, maybe the world is really ending. Isn't Hauspaint from Japan? I hope he/she's OK.

..Luke 21:10-11
Then jesus said to his disciples : "Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be great earthquakes', famines and pestilences in various places, and fearful events and great signs from heaven. 'Jesus says for behold I come quickly,' [... Sept 11th (NY) Jan 11th (Haiti) and March 11th (Japan)]

Weird coincidence, no?

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
This is crazy stuff man, maybe the world is really ending. Isn't Hauspaint from Japan? I hope he/she's OK.

Then jesus said to his disciples : "Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be great earthquakes', famines and pestilences in various places, and fearful events and great signs from heaven. 'Jesus says for behold I come quickly,' [... Sept 11th (NY) Jan 11th (Haiti) and March 11th (Japan)]

Weird coincidence, no?
Weird coincidence, yes.

But then again, I am a man of science.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:

Weird coincidence, no?
Not really. Famine and pestilence has existed since the beginning of our timeline. So has war and earthquakes. Those are all extremely common events. There are, on average, 2,750 earthquakes every day, with maybe 100 being in a large scale of 5.0 and above. Big earthquakes are relative to observing them near populated areas, but they are constantly occurring everyday regardless.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:47 PM
vh2k7

Send a message via AIM to vh2k7 Send a message via MSN to vh2k7 Send a message via Skype™ to vh2k7
i guess the only disasters in the world that matter are the one's that happen on the 11th of a given month.

vh2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 12:48 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k7 View Post
i guess the only disasters in the world that matter are the one's that happen on the 11th of a given month.
Which is Kopitars number? Hmmm.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:24 PM
BamBam1031

Quote:

Weird coincidence, no?
There are only 30 or so days to go around for the countless signs of the apocalypse that have happened since those words were written. Mathematically speaking, it's not coincidence, it's just probability.

Hopefully, Japan gets those power plants under control.

BamBam1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 07:17 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

My Aunt Bev is the Harbor Master in Crescent City Ca. In the ot thread I had mentioned that I have family in Crescent City and that I have spent tons of time there when I was a younger man visiting hanging out with my aunt uncle and cousins.

Anyway...

My Aunt has said that there isn't a boat in the Harbor that wasn't effected in some way and several that had sank or have been damaged beyond repair. The great news is that only one person died and sadly it appears to be the result of negligence more than anything else.

Crescent City is one of the most amazingly beautiful places on earth, if you haven't been there you should definitely go and spend a week when you do. The people are really nice and the Ancient Redwoods go right down to the sea in a couple of places. Lots of great surf and places to eat seafood fish camp etc.

The place where the person was washed out to sea (a 25yo) is at the extreme north end of Crescent City out in front of the old light house (no longer used) and around the corner from one of the more picturesque area's of the coastline.

Its around the corner from my favorite surf spot up there, a place called Wally's. Its also an area that has a very small stretch of beach and backs up against a cliff. These guys picked quite literally the single worst place to go and watch this event.

Just thought I would follow up with what I had written earlier.

Old
03-12-2011, 08:18 PM
BehindEnemyLines
2012&2014 CHAMPS

Quote:

Weird coincidence, no?

I read this verse not too long ago in my daily reading. God's in control

My prayers go out to those in Japan. I pray to God we don't get hit by a similar earthquake.

BehindEnemyLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 11:23 PM
DontgoZiggy

My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Japan. They were kind enough to send help to us a couple of weeks back with our earthquake which was only a 6.3 which decimated Christchurch. I can't imagine what it must have been like in an 8.9. I hope our government offer them the same sort of assistance that they offered us. The tidal wave and possible nuclear problems must be terrifying.

DontgoZiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 11:32 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

How are things in Christchurch?

I have been to NZ twice and spent a month in Christchurch, it is one of the greatest cities on earth and I can't begin to say how great the people were to me.

When a disaster happens we always get to hear about the first week or two and then the random update but after that it can be difficult to hear anything else. I am just curious as to how things are coming around.

All the best.

Old
03-12-2011, 11:56 PM
DontgoZiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
How are things in Christchurch?

I have been to NZ twice and spent a month in Christchurch, it is one of the greatest cities on earth and I can't begin to say how great the people were to me.

When a disaster happens we always get to hear about the first week or two and then the random update but after that it can be difficult to hear anything else. I am just curious as to how things are coming around.

All the best.
We're ok, the city is slowly opening up, but the center is still closed as far as I know. We're still getting aftershocks, but nothing serious. It will take years to rebuild though unfortunately. We are just so grateful for all the offshore help we recieved. These search and rescue guys coming from the UK, US, Japan, Taiwan and more risking their lives to try and recue our people from rubble with aftershocks hitting all the time. It really lifts the locals to get so much international support. I just hope that the international community rally to help Japan in what appears a far more serious situation.

DontgoZiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 06:00 AM
TwzKing

Send a message via AIM to TwzKing
I work in the ems field for LA county and when we had the earthquake last may which was... a 5.0? We were so overwhelmed with 911 calls that you were looking at a eta of 20 plus minutes.
I can only assume that if we do have a the big one... were all pretty much screwed. Food for thought be prepared, take CPR classes, stock up on supplies, have a game plan...because more then likely help will take along time to get to you.

TwzKing is offline   Reply With Quote