HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Caps Allow Varlamov To Walk If Offer Sheeted?

Old
03-09-2011, 02:54 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
It will be really fascinating to see how they manage their 3 headed goalie monster. It's sort of like the Habs situation with Price/Halak, only with another goalie in the picture and 2 injury prone goalies.
actually, its remarkably different from that situation. Price was the one. Halak an afterthought. The Capitals snagged the first two players at the same time and while their development curves have been slightly different they stand at the NHL level as equals.

Varlamov's injuries forced him to fail in his main chance to solidify the position before Neuvirth arrived and Neuvirth has proven to be the more reliable player. By next season, a repeat of the injury problem for Varlamov will then open the door to Holtby who could then play well enough to force an issue.

The playoffs lie between now and that situation and the playoffs could reset everything.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 02:55 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
last year's numbers:
$1,020,348 or below None
Over $1,020,348 to $1,545,981 Third-round choice
Over $1,545,981 to $3,091,963 Second-round choice
Over $3,091,963 to $4,637,944 First-round and third-round choice

expect a slight bump, depending on what average salary came in as this year.

no way anyone goes into the 1st+3rd range for him.
2nd round range seems to much to give up in terms of the pick.
3rd round range, even at the top end, the caps probably match.
no compensation the caps definitely match.

i dont see him as a good offersheet target.
Could Ottawa possibly trade or offersheet for him?

He would be a good young goalie for the franchise, and they could go with a tandem of Anderson and Varlamov going forward.

Just a thought.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
last year's numbers:
$1,020,348 or below None
Over $1,020,348 to $1,545,981 Third-round choice
Over $3,091,963 to $4,637,944 First-round and third-round choice

expect a slight bump, depending on what average salary came in as this year.

no way anyone goes into the 1st+3rd range for him.
3rd round range, even at the top end, the caps probably match.
no compensation the caps definitely match.

i dont see him as a good offersheet target.
Considering that Varlamov was a 1st round selection and has put up excellent stats when healthy, I certainly see him being worth a 2nd to a lot of teams. Especially in the lower half of that bracket. I'd suspect plenty of teams would certainly offer a 2nd to trade for Varly and that the Caps would turn down that offer, as well.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 03:02 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

I hope you have a couple Russians on your team if you want to offer sheet him.

03-09-2011, 03:02 PM
KarmaPolice
No Hope...

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Edmonton snags him, and go with Dubnyk and Varly as 1a and 1b goalies next year. One can dream...

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 03:08 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kschey View Post
I would love to see Varly on the Avs but only if it is far below $3M because it would be ridicoulous to lose a first round pick because of offer sheeting a goalie.
Cannot imagine a team to do this and I dont see the Caps let him walk for less than that as well.
Avs cannot afford to lost a 1st rounder for the next 2-3 years while still in the rebuilding mode.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 03:24 PM
neofury*

I could maybe see a really desperate team trading for him, offersheet I doubt unless it's 3 mil from an even more desperate team, he hasn't exactly proven much so I just can't see it. These scenarios are the only possible 0.001% chance things I could think of.

I just think he's worth more to WSH than anyone else is all.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 03:49 PM
txpd

offer sheet means that he wants to leave. i think that is pretty clearly not the case.

Old
03-10-2011, 03:00 AM
Dream Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
offer sheet means that he wants to leave. i think that is pretty clearly not the case.
Not necessarily. If another team comes in with an offer sheet in the mean time isn't the procedure to reject or accept it? Use it to improve upon the Caps offer?

I'm guessing that the qualifying offer has been rejected. What would the Caps have offered him? The minimum qualifying offer of 105%? or what Neuvirth got? There is still lots of time to negotiate and if an offer sheet happens then that can still be decided whether to sign. I'm thinking that the Caps would match the offer unless it is crazy.

Personally with his injury history I don't think he can be asking more that Neuvirth $ and getting it. He hasn't proved to be worth more at this point. If he comes back in the next little while and plays strong than perhaps it strengthens his position.

Last edited by Dream Big: 03-10-2011 at 03:05 AM.
Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:48 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
Could Ottawa possibly trade or offersheet for him?

He would be a good young goalie for the franchise, and they could go with a tandem of Anderson and Varlamov going forward.

Just a thought.
I doubt Ottawa would do that. They are rebuilding and they don't want to throw away draft picks, and also they have a lot of faith in Lehner to be their future goalie.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I mean, you're looking at a few improbabilities.

First, the Caps have the cap room. Unless you're talking a 3+ offer (and even low 3, I think they might match it) you're not going to see a Caps front office walk away.

Second, what team who needs a goalie is willing to step in and make a major offer? I would also assume they need to be a playoff or better team (as I don't think a team with a top 5 or 10 pick is going to make a move like this) as they could actually afford to give a 1st and a 3rd (or more).

Third, of those teams who could be willing to give up the pick, who is going to offer him what he wants? (Stable, Russian friendly, nurturing environment)

I realize that many might not figure that he would want to stay if Neuvirth or Holtby are here, but I don't know that it's the case. I think Varly knows, that if he stays healthy, he's going to play a large number of games.

to the original poster, are you suggesting or implying that Tampa Bay might seize upon this move? I wouldn't want to see Varlamov go to Tampa, but I think they could stomach it knowing they have 4 good goalie prospects they like.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Bill_Crosby

Bolts should make a 2.9 offer for the lulz

Bill_Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Miller Time NYR
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
The question is in the title, would the Caps allow Varly to walk if he's signed to an offer sheet? Considering that he's barely played this season, why should they spend more than $1M to re-sign him? And at that price, why not take a shot if you're the Isles, TB, Edmonton or the like?

The Caps don't need him with Neuvy and Holtby looking so sharp this season. Plus, it would help their future to grab a couple first rounders, thoughts?
i highly doubt varlamov will be offersheeted 5+ million

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 07:56 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
last year's numbers:

You never know. Edmonton could take a chance on him. Their #1 goalie gets injured too much and has played horribly on a contract they could afford to waive down to the minors.

Edmonton could afford to offer him 2.5M per year for 3-4 years.
Varlamov and Dubnyk could split games played 50/50. That would be a pretty good pairing IMO. Gives Oiler goalie prospects in the system more time to develop at their own pace.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
You never know. Edmonton could take a chance on him. Their #1 goalie gets injured too much and has played horribly on a contract they could afford to waive down to the minors.

Varlamov and Dubnyk could split games played 50/50. That would be a pretty good pairing IMO. Gives Oiler goalie prospects in the system more time to develop at their own pace.
but that is the fine line. Who ever wants to offer sheet him will have to pick a contract amount and length that we won't match. I'm not so sure that 2.5 for 3-4 is going work. It makes more sense that if you want him that badly you'll have to trade for him. That or offer him an excessive amount that the CAPS would walk away from which might hamstring your cap in the process.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 09:03 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
Not necessarily. If another team comes in with an offer sheet in the mean time isn't the procedure to reject or accept it? Use it to improve upon the Caps offer?.
an offer sheet is a signed contract. the player is committed. he cant sign an offer sheet that his team wont match and then not leave.

so...if varly is going to participate in an offer sheet, he has to be prepared to leave.

Old
03-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
an offer sheet is a signed contract. the player is committed. he cant sign an offer sheet that his team wont match and then not leave.

so...if varly is going to participate in an offer sheet, he has to be prepared to leave.
I believe his intent was to say the player does not sign the sheet from team b but takes that sheet to his own team to say look what someone else offered. I want this kind of deal from you.

Old
03-10-2011, 09:48 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Yes. We aren't really in cap trouble, and we have tons of options as to how to spend our money next year.

And if we were to somehow get into cap trouble, we'd move someone else before Varlamov.

Bobrovsky:
25-11-4 2.52/.917/0SO

Varlamov:
29-12-11 2.41/.916/4SO (career)
10-8-4 2.27/.923/2SO (2010-2011)

Guess Bobrovsky isn't that good, either.
He isn't.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:06 PM
Cephalusc

The number of times offer sheets actually happen vs. how much they are talked about is extremely disproportional.

Cephalusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post

2.5 for 4 years?

The caps would match that.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:16 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Isles and Edmonton would be a terrible idea because they risk giving up such good picks. Furthermore Islanders already have one injury prone goalie, why do they need two? Any of these teams can sign any one of the available UFA goalies and keep their picks. It just doesn't make sense.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:59 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Not unless the offer sheet is ridiculous.

In that same regard, no team is going to sign a player that's so oft injured to a ridiculous offer sheet.
Exactly, he has not played enough in his career to warrant a big enough offer sheet that the Caps would not match. I am sure they rather keep the asset that they can trade at a later date and get something in return.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 04:56 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
2.5 for 4 years?

The caps would match that.
I`d actually be surprised if they did considering his constant injuries not to mention Neuvy and Holtby.

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
I`d actually be surprised if they did considering his constant injuries not to mention Neuvy and Holtby.
that's the catch 22. if the CAPS would shy away from him due to injuries I'd have a hard time believing someone would go overboard for the same concern.

Old
03-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Pi

Doubt any team wants him for the cost a first rounder, maximum anyone would offer sheet him for would be a 2nd rounder.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote