HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

March 17: Conference call update (post #236); Pronger, hand surgery, out 3-4 weeks

Old
03-11-2011, 11:20 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1503
Friday update: Pronger is skating at practice.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:21 AM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Friday update: Pronger is skating at practice.
But is he using his upper body?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:23 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
But is he using his upper body?
He skated yesterday, too, so the fact that he is participating isn't limited to a definite return. The issue, most likely, is properly grasping the stick.

Old
03-11-2011, 11:37 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
He skated yesterday, too, so the fact that he is participating isn't limited to a definite return. The issue, most likely, is properly grasping the stick.
We should make him a prosthetic that IS a stick. Then his other arm will be entirely free to rain elbows upon his enemies!

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 11:44 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
We should make him a prosthetic that IS a stick. Then his other arm will be entirely free to rain elbows upon his enemies!
That's a great idea. I can see Pronger's whole arm-attachment armamentarium (I love alliteration):
  • The point-shot cannon
  • The 'goalie screener' panel
  • The extendo-elbow
  • The opponent-nullifying tentacle
  • The puck retriever / storage compartment
  • The Tim Panaccio stun gun

"We have the technology. We can rebuild him. We can make Chris Pronger bigger, stronger, more suspendable."

Old
03-11-2011, 11:57 AM
clockwise

I was thinking more along the lines of Army of Darkness, boom stick.

clockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 04:02 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

He is "day-to-day."

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...#ixzz1GKa75NlP

Quote:
Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren acknowledged Friday that defenseman Chris Pronger was chewing out Claude Giroux after the team’s inartistic 4-1 win over Edmonton Tuesday.

Asked what he thought of the situation, Holmgren was blunt.

“I think it’s great,” he told reporters at the Flyers' practice facility in Voorhees.

As reporters entered the locker room after Tuesday’s game, Pronger could be heard shouting, “Some people just don’t learn.”

The Flyers dominated the first period in that win over Edmonton _ ending a four-game losing streak _ but were soundly outplayed in the final 40 minutes.

“Nobody likes the way we’ve been playing, and it just came to a head in that particular instance, I’m sure,” said Holmgren, whose team hosts Atlanta on Saturday night, a game in which Pronger is questionable because of a sore right hand. “Just got to get on the same page. I’m assuming you’re talking about Chris and Claude, right? Claude Giroux wants to win, but sometimes he needs to hear from the older guys on the team that this is how it’s done.”

Added Holmgren: “I don’t think it’s bad. Claude, maybe he didn’t like being spoken to like that, but I think he understands what’s being said to him, and he’ll benefit from that.”

Old
03-11-2011, 04:06 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

I would keep him out until he says he is 100% healthy

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 04:11 PM
Jester

Quote:
Good, he was making some egregiously dumb passes (wasn't alone). Team needs to cut down on the unnecessary cross-ice passes through the neutral zone for sure.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 04:21 PM
MillerTime2181

What was Pronger chewing out Giroux for? Turnovers?

MillerTime2181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 04:25 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime2181 View Post
Trying to be Mr. Cutesy Pants Pass every time he had the puck on his stick?

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime2181 View Post
Being better than any Flyers forward over the last 6 games.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2011, 05:22 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Good, he was making some egregiously dumb passes (wasn't alone). Team needs to cut down on the unnecessary cross-ice passes through the neutral zone for sure.
Though not the same circumstances, I recall about five years back when Sami Kapanen exploded after a bad loss. Supposedly Donald Brashear was among his targets.

Old
03-11-2011, 10:57 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Though not the same circumstances, I recall about five years back when Sami Kapanen exploded after a bad loss. Supposedly Donald Brashear was among his targets.
That took some guts. Sami was giving away a bit of height and weight in that exchange.

I like how Pronger is getting vocal about work ethic in these recent games. Not to open this can of worms (though I know I am), but what has Richards been saying about their lacklustre play of late to his teammates? I don't mean the platitudes to the media, but on the practice ice and elsewhere. This is where having a veteran like Pronger is a huge difference maker.

Old
03-12-2011, 07:50 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

Flyers' Pronger chews out Giroux

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...117846573.html
Quote:
Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren acknowledged Friday that veteran defenseman Chris Pronger had chewed out 23-year-old all-star Claude Giroux after the team's inartistic, 4-1 win over Edmonton on Tuesday.

Asked what he thought of the situation, Holmgren was blunt.

"I think it's great," he told reporters at the Flyers' practice facility in Voorhees.

As reporters entered the locker room after Tuesday's game, some could hear Pronger shouting, "Some people just don't learn."

The Flyers dominated the first period in that win over Edmonton - ending a four-game losing streak - but were soundly outplayed in the final 40 minutes.

Interesting. Good to know Pronger will call out even our best player for dogging it.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 08:37 AM
MsWoof

I don't have a problem with him calling Giroux out, but it needs to stay in the dressing room. Not sure why Homer decided to go public with it but embarrassing Giroux publicly bugs me. Pronger seems to be very good at pointing fingers at everyone but himself.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 09:01 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Pronger chews out Giroux.

Giroux has one of his best games of the season.

#winning

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

wonder if Chris has any endearing comments to richards for continually forcing cross ice passes during the PP which fail over and over again too, some people just don't learn.

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:16 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
I understand Pronger's intentions, but his play hasnt exactly been stellar lately either. I know he's injured but he has been guilty of some bad turnovers as well. How about calling out some of the vets that have been more of a cause for the downturn, like the Briere line which has been absolutely abysmal lately. Also don't like how Homer went public with it, seems a bit unprofessional and something that should be kept behind closed doors.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I understand Pronger's intentions, but his play hasnt exactly been stellar lately either. I know he's injured but he has been guilty of some bad turnovers as well. How about calling out some of the vets that have been more of a cause for the downturn, like the Briere line which has been absolutely abysmal lately. Also don't like how Homer went public with it, seems a bit unprofessional and something that should be kept behind closed doors.
Giroux, Briere, and Leino were doing a whole lot of absolutely idiotic passing in that game with the lead. Giroux got called out with good reason for mental errors whilst protecting the lead.... he wasn't alone there, but it is a problem that needs to be fixed for tight games going forward.

Old
03-12-2011, 01:55 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I'm wondering if Pronger calling out Giroux means that maybe Pronger sees Giroux being able to do more than any other forward on the team? I mean, Claude is probably the most talented and gifted forward on the team and maybe Pronger sees him as being a guy who can single handedly change the outcome of a game by one play or two, but that there's still some maturing to do and calling him out might just speed up the maturity process.......

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'm wondering if Pronger calling out Giroux means that maybe Pronger sees Giroux being able to do more than any other forward on the team? I mean, Claude is probably the most talented and gifted forward on the team and maybe Pronger sees him as being a guy who can single handedly change the outcome of a game by one play or two, but that there's still some maturing to do and calling him out might just speed up the maturity process.......
...I think you're reading too much into it. With a lead in the third period of a tight game, you need to not be making risky passes that lead to turnover transition chances the other way.

Old
03-12-2011, 02:09 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Giroux, Briere, and Leino were doing a whole lot of absolutely idiotic passing in that game with the lead. Giroux got called out with good reason for mental errors whilst protecting the lead.... he wasn't alone there, but it is a problem that needs to be fixed for tight games going forward.
Oh I completely agree, Giroux definitely needs to be smarter with the puck, especially while protecting a lead. I just think that its a little convenient that Pronger calls him out considering he's one of the youngest guys on the team while Briere, Hartnell, and Leino have been just as guilty. All in all I think Giroux is more then tough enough to deal with crticism and its not coincidence that he had a great game the other night after Pronger's rant.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Oh I completely agree, Giroux definitely needs to be smarter with the puck, especially while protecting a lead. I just think that its a little convenient that Pronger calls him out considering he's one of the youngest guys on the team while Briere, Hartnell, and Leino have been just as guilty. All in all I think Giroux is more then tough enough to deal with crticism and its not coincidence that he had a great game the other night after Pronger's rant.
Well, Briere, Hartnell, and Leino are also all at different points in their career and, therefore, are going to get dealt with a bit differently. Giroux was also especially bad the other night.

If you saw Pronger's interviews in the locker room after the game, he was genuinely unhappy with how they payed.

Old
03-12-2011, 02:18 PM

Nobody's perfect on this team, but if you're going to call someone out - why Giroux? He's been our best forward for some time now.

Nothing for Briere? Richards? Leino?

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote